Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

Call Me Charlie posted:

Yeah.

The Windows 8 app lists all my email addresses in a drop down box where I can choose what account I want to send the email from.

The Windows 10 app only lists the main Microsoft address and my Yahoo address (since I originally added it separately). Not even in a drop down box, you have to make sure you have the right account selected before hitting the new mail button. There's no way to send email from my live aliases on my main Microsoft account. No way to send emails from my domain email (I tried removing the info from my Microsoft account so I could log in separately but it didn't work). No way to add my alias emails as an option to send from because when I try to add them individually, it says it's already been added.

And I have Windows 10 on my tablet. I never get a toast popups like I did on Windows 8.1 and the unread email count regularly gets hosed up on my alias accounts.

tl;dr - windows 10 forever garbage

I can't speak to the alias question, but this is what I get when I click the New mail button:

Maybe you don't have your Inboxes linked?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

http://betanews.com/2016/07/28/windows-10-anniversary-update-takes-back-control/

quote:

With the Anniversary Update installed, certain policies will be marked as only being available to Enterprise, Education, and Server SKUs. If you’re using Professional you’ll be able to make the changes, but nothing will happen.

Following the update you cannot turn off Microsoft consumer experiences -- this, among other things, allows users to block personalized recommendations from Microsoft. Or adverts, to put it another way.

Yay...

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

And so it begins.... (well, continues).

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Oh no, you might actually have to use the settings app ever!

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax

Sir Unimaginative posted:

Oh no, you might actually have to use the settings app ever!

Yeah, can someone clarify here? I turned off all those things from Settings day 1 and none of it has come back or anything. I wouldn't be that surprised if they just removed the ability to disable their garbage, but why is this article acting like you had to do registry hacks to do so?

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

I want a fresh install. I made a bootable USB, however, when booting from it, the initial logo comes up but then the process hangs and never advances beyond that. Not sure why, I've googled around and found some people with the same problem but no solutions.

By any chance, is this 'keep nothing' option (when running setup.exe off the usb, from within windows) the same as a format? That'd be nice. Found a source that says "mostly", if you do a few more steps after installation.

I upgraded from 7 to 10 a few days ago with no problems, but this thing needs a reformat badly.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Nosre posted:

I want a fresh install. I made a bootable USB, however, when booting from it, the initial logo comes up but then the process hangs and never advances beyond that. Not sure why, I've googled around and found some people with the same problem but no solutions.

By any chance, is this 'keep nothing' option (when running setup.exe off the usb, from within windows) the same as a format? That'd be nice. Found a source that says "mostly", if you do a few more steps after installation.

I upgraded from 7 to 10 a few days ago with no problems, but this thing needs a reformat badly.

Why do you think it "needs" a reformat? And why is the normal "reset" option (essentially a restore to what it would be like if you did a clean install, except without needing to reinstall drivers) not acceptable to you?

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

HMS Boromir posted:

Yeah, can someone clarify here? I turned off all those things from Settings day 1 and none of it has come back or anything. I wouldn't be that surprised if they just removed the ability to disable their garbage, but why is this article acting like you had to do registry hacks to do so?

Basically, you can only get to a low level of tracking and reporting back to Microsoft via the settings app. (I think it's called Telemetry only?) With the policy editor, you could disable it entirely.

Well, now, if you care about your privacy you can no longer disable it completely this way.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

Can you even turn off crash reporting on Linux these days without airplane mode?

Nosre posted:

Microsoft's USB media creation tool insists on making an NTFS USB drive. Most UEFI implementations don't play well with NTFS.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

And I just updated my rarely used HTCPC to WinX and my motherboard seems to have lost all SATA channels. I cannot boot to anything and going to BIOS shows nothing hooked up. :( Unplugged everything, replugged, moved around, leave 1 in, best I got was once a WinX splash with a "something occurred" message followed by an INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE error.

Whelp, time to hunt for a Mitx H81 motherboard. Hope they're still around.

That Asus H81I-Plus probably had under 300 hours on it.

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

Microsoft's USB media creation tool insists on making an NTFS USB drive. Most UEFI implementations don't play well with NTFS.

Hmm, I'll check this out. Kinda funny - I just left it going ~30 minutes or so, and eventually one single white dot appeared where the swirling loading dots usually do their thing. Just one, never moved.

fishmech posted:

Why do you think it "needs" a reformat? And why is the normal "reset" option (essentially a restore to what it would be like if you did a clean install, except without needing to reinstall drivers) not acceptable to you?

It's been 2-3 years, I think, with the accompanying general slowness, heat (laptop) and accumulation of junk programs. Is this not a thing people do anymore?

I've never used this reset option before, just always started from scratch. Guess I got into the reformat habit back in the 95/98/xp days.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax

Arsten posted:

Basically, you can only get to a low level of tracking and reporting back to Microsoft via the settings app. (I think it's called Telemetry only?) With the policy editor, you could disable it entirely.

Well, now, if you care about your privacy you can no longer disable it completely this way.

I've already resigned myself to Microsoft stealing all my worthless personal info. It's stuff like the "tips" and suggested apps that you can already turn off via settings that threw me off.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

But Windows 10 is great and there are no downsides, right?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Nosre posted:

It's been 2-3 years, I think, with the accompanying general slowness, heat (laptop) and accumulation of junk programs. Is this not a thing people do anymore?

I've never used this reset option before, just always started from scratch. Guess I got into the reformat habit back in the 95/98/xp days.

At this point yeah just automatically formatting your system and reinstalling doesn't really help anything - nearly all of the perceived difference in speed is wishful thinking. It's really not a thing you should do anymore.

Just uninstall the programs you don't use instead of spending hours/days reinstalling the programs you do use after a reinstall. The uninstallers work just fine these days and something like CCleaner will take care of any extra stuff.

Reset was introduced with 8 by the way, so if you didn't use 8 between 7 and 10 you wouldn't have seen it. It's good to use if there really are weird problems going on and uninstalling stuff actually isn't getting them to go away.

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

fishmech posted:

At this point yeah just automatically formatting your system and reinstalling doesn't really help anything - nearly all of the perceived difference in speed is wishful thinking. It's really not a thing you should do anymore.

Just uninstall the programs you don't use instead of spending hours/days reinstalling the programs you do use after a reinstall. The uninstallers work just fine these days and something like CCleaner will take care of any extra stuff.

Reset was introduced with 8 by the way, so if you didn't use 8 between 7 and 10 you wouldn't have seen it. It's good to use if there really are weird problems going on and uninstalling stuff actually isn't getting them to go away.

Nice, thanks for the info. I did manage one last time - Sir Unimaginative, you were right, turning off UEFI made the USB work. I'll check out reset in the future.

Thanks guys!

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

Nosre posted:

Sir Unimaginative, you were right, turning off UEFI made the USB work.

And now you have a BIOS-mode version of Windows. Which you can't set right without reformatting your system disk entirely.

To install in UEFI it needs to be a FAT32 partition. I don't know if it has to be active; it might be a difference between UEFI-as-intended and UEFI-as-implemented again.

Making an ISO with the media creation tool and feeding it into Rufus with a UEFI-only option is probably the simplest way to do it in a form that resembles correct.

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Jul 28, 2016

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Does anyone want to make a new thread for the anniversary update + stuff? I don't really care for keeping for OP updated any longer, so if noone makes a new thread I guess this one will just go stale.

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

And now you have a BIOS-mode version of Windows. Which you can't set right without reformatting your system disk entirely.

To install in UEFI it needs to be a FAT32 partition. I don't know if it has to be active; it might be a difference between UEFI-as-intended and UEFI-as-implemented again.

Making an ISO with the media creation tool and feeding it into Rufus with a UEFI-only option is probably the simplest way to do it in a form that resembles correct.

So wait, the default usb boot creation tool supplied by microsoft doesn't work with some systems, requiring third party programs to be able to boot properly (via UEFI) and install windows? What won't work with an NTFS version?

I'm also seeing, after-choosing-what-I-thought-was-the-'delete everything'-install, that there's a bunch of random stuff from the previous 7 install still on the drive (in addition to windows.old). The other reason that I wanted a fresh machine is that it was acting a bit suspicious (security-wise). You gotta delete/recreate partitions these days to actually clear everything?

Reset cleaned up that junk. windows.old still seems like a security liability, but I'm sure I'm a year+ late to that discussion.

Nosre fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Jul 29, 2016

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Arsten posted:

HMS Boromir posted:

I've already resigned myself to Microsoft stealing all my worthless personal info. It's stuff like the "tips" and suggested apps that you can already turn off via settings that threw me off.

Basic telemetry & privacy isn't even the issue, apparently that policy isn't even changed so you can still disable all reporting if you want.

All 4 of these specific things they changed are places that they can show advertisements. Store and "consumer experiences" already are ads. The lock screen and windows tips have big potential for ads -- probably they'd do semi-subtle ones like "our app of the week is _____" (insert high bidder), not turn your lock screen into a mcdonald's hamburger ad.

The way that they're removing the gpedit settings first is what makes me most suspicious, especially when 2 of them don't really do anything ATM. That's the boiling a frog approach. Get rid of the thing that only nerds know about right now to reduce the pushback, turn on ads later when they have more lock-in. And crucially, they aren't taking away anything that the :tinfoil: privacy people will throw a fit over.

Anyways I'm not massively worried, I bet that people will find ways to hack any lock-screen ads about 10 minutes after they come out. The only really annoying one right now is the consumer experiences one, since that's the thing to prevent candy crush from getting pushed to your start menu.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

nielsm posted:

Does anyone want to make a new thread for the anniversary update + stuff? I don't really care for keeping for OP updated any longer, so if noone makes a new thread I guess this one will just go stale.

I'm up for a new thread but it's going be a lot of work.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

HalloKitty posted:

But Windows 10 is great and there are no downsides, right?

No, actually you have no loving choice. *shrug*
[edit] If you use modern hardware I mean

redeyes fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Jul 29, 2016

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Jesus goatfucking christ, upgrading my desktop went better than I expected computer surgery to go when MS is involved but my wife's is more than making up for it.

With Win10 not accepting my Win7 key, I ended up:
- creating a win7 install USB
- creating a win7 install DVD because the USB wouldn't boot on that computer (but would on others!), and installing win7 from that
- downloading the network drivers on a separate machine and carrying them over on USB
- installing windows updates until I got to the update that causes windows update to stop working entirely
- installing Chrome because the windows update manual download site doesn't work in IE
- downloading and installing the update that fixes windows update
- installing even more updates

At this point it's running W7 SP1 and is probably ready to be upgraded to Win10, but there was another batch of updates available, so I decided to install those first just to be safe. Ha ha ha. Now the system no longer boots -- in pure UEFI mode it doesn't produce any output, in UEFI+legacy mode it tells me to "insert correct boot media and press any key to reboot". Booting from the windows 7 DVD and telling it to repair startup tells me it can't find any problems. Rolling back to the system restore point made before those updates were installed works fine, but doesn't actually get it to boot.

I'm turning the USB key back into win10 install media to see if I can do an upgrade in place using it, but if not I guess I get to install win7 again and hope that the win10 upgrade becomes available before it gets to the update that apparently breaks everything.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

ToxicFrog posted:

Jesus goatfucking christ, upgrading my desktop went better than I expected computer surgery to go when MS is involved but my wife's is more than making up for it.

With Win10 not accepting my Win7 key, I ended up:
- creating a win7 install USB
- creating a win7 install DVD because the USB wouldn't boot on that computer (but would on others!), and installing win7 from that
- downloading the network drivers on a separate machine and carrying them over on USB
- installing windows updates until I got to the update that causes windows update to stop working entirely
- installing Chrome because the windows update manual download site doesn't work in IE
- downloading and installing the update that fixes windows update
- installing even more updates

At this point it's running W7 SP1 and is probably ready to be upgraded to Win10, but there was another batch of updates available, so I decided to install those first just to be safe. Ha ha ha. Now the system no longer boots -- in pure UEFI mode it doesn't produce any output, in UEFI+legacy mode it tells me to "insert correct boot media and press any key to reboot". Booting from the windows 7 DVD and telling it to repair startup tells me it can't find any problems. Rolling back to the system restore point made before those updates were installed works fine, but doesn't actually get it to boot.

I'm turning the USB key back into win10 install media to see if I can do an upgrade in place using it, but if not I guess I get to install win7 again and hope that the win10 upgrade becomes available before it gets to the update that apparently breaks everything.

As soon as w7 is installed (and activated) on there you can pop in the windows 10 media to upgrade. No need to update the 7 install beforehand beyond whatever's necessary to activate, like the network drivers.

Hope it works out for you!

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

astral posted:

As soon as w7 is installed (and activated) on there you can pop in the windows 10 media to upgrade. No need to update the 7 install beforehand beyond whatever's necessary to activate, like the network drivers.

Hope it works out for you!

I thought you had to update to W7 SP1 before you could update to W10?

And it looks like I'm definitely reinstalling W7, because if I boot from the W10 installation media and select "upgrade", it says that it can't do that unless I boot into windows normally and then run the installer from the installation media within windows. What the gently caress.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

ToxicFrog posted:

I thought you had to update to W7 SP1 before you could update to W10?

I don't believe so, but I don't have any non-SP1 win7 media to test with. Maybe it was required for the GWX (annoying tray icon) thing to work, but you don't need GWX to do the upgrade; just put the win10 media in while running your (activated) w7 and launch setup.exe.

If it does require SP1, at least it only takes a minute to check beforehand.

e: clarity

astral fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Jul 29, 2016

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

The downloadable update thinger definitely refuses to do anything if you haven't updated to SP1, but I never tried it with separate install media. I'll give that a shot.

If that doesn't work I've downloaded the SP1 redist and I'll just install that without giving windows update a chance to run and gently caress everything up.

el_caballo
Feb 26, 2001
So if a Windows 10 install is activated (in place upgrade from 8.1 Pro) but does not say "digital entitlement," it needs to be wiped and reinstalled before the 29th?

Using ProduKey, I can see I have a generic 10 Pro key. Entering my 8.1 key off the key card results in a 0xc004e016 error. All the Win 10 installs that I've done clean on a freshly formatted drive say "digital entitlement."

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
Does anybody know if a VM would be good enough to get my computer onside for the free upgrade? I ain't trying to capture and push images at 10 at night.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

My brother used the free update yesterday. When it rebooted and got to the welcome screen he could not continue, pressing the button simply did not work. The solution was to remove the usb wifi dongle. What the gently caress, Microsoft.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

skooma512 posted:

Does anybody know if a VM would be good enough to get my computer onside for the free upgrade? I ain't trying to capture and push images at 10 at night.

no, you would be giving the VM a digital entitlement, not your hardware. Just push the button.

el_caballo posted:

So if a Windows 10 install is activated (in place upgrade from 8.1 Pro) but does not say "digital entitlement," it needs to be wiped and reinstalled before the 29th?

no, if you have win10, you have win10 to keep

ToxicFrog posted:

The downloadable update thinger definitely refuses to do anything if you haven't updated to SP1, but I never tried it with separate install media. I'll give that a shot.

If that doesn't work I've downloaded the SP1 redist and I'll just install that without giving windows update a chance to run and gently caress everything up.
I'm not sure how you would even get a pre-SP1 install media at this point without specifically hunting it out, so your ISO/whatever was probably SP1. Just load into windows then run setup from the USB you made from the Windows 10 tool.
FWIW did you try simply re-trying the key? And where are you entering it? You need to be entering the Win7 key before it installs. Are you properly starting from a clean slate (delete all partitions, let the install create new ones) or are you accidentally trying to upgrade from the boot menu?
There's no reason a valid Win7 key shouldn't work unless it's not eligible (VLK?).

Rusty!
Aug 25, 2005

Play Up Pompey
Pompey Play Up

skooma512 posted:

No it wouldn't, the VM will have a different GUID to your actual PC.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!
Regarding Microsoft limiting the policies controlling telemetry to Enterprise:

Can anyone running the preview check if disabling the Connected User Experiences and Telemetry service works? I would guess you can obtain the same results that those policies produced by doing that (except disabling the Store apps entirely, which I doubt very many people actually do or need to do).

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Lol so of course I finally upgraded to 10 right before the news about removed policies came out. Guess who's never installing AU now!

Also, who had the brilliant idea of turning on scaling by default, even if it was disabled in 7? Because it looks like poo poo even in first-party apps and is not something MS should be proudly showing off to unsuspecting users:

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

el_caballo posted:

Using ProduKey, I can see I have a generic 10 Pro key. Entering my 8.1 key off the key card results in a 0xc004e016 error. All the Win 10 installs that I've done clean on a freshly formatted drive say "digital entitlement."

My Computer -> Properties: says just "windows is activated" and a product ID

Settings -> Update & Security -> Activation: says "windows 10 on this device is activated with a digital entitlement"

mobby_6kl posted:

Lol so of course I finally upgraded to 10 right before the news about removed policies came out. Guess who's never installing AU now!

welp better roll back to your old windows then because updates aren't optional unless you have the Enterprise version

but really I would just chill out, somebody will figure out how to hack some dll so those policies can be re-implemented (or block the address where ads come from, or completely remove cortana). MS has never yet made something locked down enough to keep out a bunch of annoyed nerd refuseniks.

Klyith fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Jul 29, 2016

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

mobby_6kl posted:

You ... you actually think that's how it works, don't you.

quote:

Also, who had the brilliant idea of turning on scaling by default, even if it was disabled in 7? Because it looks like poo poo even in first-party apps and is not something MS should be proudly showing off to unsuspecting users:

Did you restart yet?

el_caballo
Feb 26, 2001

Klyith posted:

My Computer -> Properties: says just "windows is activated" and a product ID

Settings -> Update & Security -> Activation: says "windows 10 on this device is activated with a digital entitlement"

Nope. I've been going through settings > updates > activation. Didn't know about the other way. It just says "Windows is activated." I actually dug out my old netbook, because that's the only other install I've ever done that was an in-place upgrade. But it also says "digital entitlement."

Is there some sort of waiting period? But... I know at least one other PC I installed Win 10 on had "digital entitlement" appear instantly after install.

Just remembered one thing: I upgraded this non-entitled PC with the MediaCreationTool rather than go through Windows Update.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Khablam posted:

if you have win10, you have win10 to keep

You're just confusing yourself. If it's activated, it is activated. There's no grey area or any leeway for confusion. You will only have to worry about your license if you significantly change hardware, and even then it might not be a big issue. With the account-linking in AU you may be able to re-activate with more significant changes. MS's policy on what will/won't allow re-activation on hardware changes is not tested/known, however.

el_caballo
Feb 26, 2001

Khablam posted:

You're just confusing yourself. If it's activated, it is activated. There's no grey area or any leeway for confusion. You will only have to worry about your license if you significantly change hardware, and even then it might not be a big issue. With the account-linking in AU you may be able to re-activate with more significant changes. MS's policy on what will/won't allow re-activation on hardware changes is not tested/known, however.

Just thought it was odd that out of the half-dozen PCs I've installed 10 on over the past year, only my main desktop is missing the entitlement text. If it doesn't get entitled, I'm going to hurt myself. I have a plan.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Khablam posted:

I'm not sure how you would even get a pre-SP1 install media at this point without specifically hunting it out, so your ISO/whatever was probably SP1. Just load into windows then run setup from the USB you made from the Windows 10 tool.

I got the ISO at the same time as the key, before W7SP1 was released. If you install from it, you get Win7 without SP1 and SP1 appears in the Windows Update list (twice! You have to install part one, reboot, then install part two).

As it happens, you need to update to SP1 to get the GWX updater to work, but if you have separate win10 media, just* plugging that in and running setup will upgrade you straight to W10 without needing to install any updates. My wife's desktop is now happily** running windows 10.

* by which I mean "after fighting with windows for half an hour to get it to recognize all of its USB ports"
** apart from all the drivers I still need to install

quote:

FWIW did you try simply re-trying the key? And where are you entering it? You need to be entering the Win7 key before it installs.

I have tried both entering it into the installer, and entering it into "change my key" after selecting "skip" in the installer and letting it install W10 with no key. Neither work.

quote:

Are you properly starting from a clean slate (delete all partitions, let the install create new ones) or are you accidentally trying to upgrade from the boot menu?

Yes. (If you try to upgrade from bootable media, it says "you can't do that! Please boot into windows and run the upgrader from there." This is a whole bundle of fun when the windows install in question won't boot.)

quote:

There's no reason a valid Win7 key shouldn't work unless it's not eligible (VLK?).

As far as I know it's not a VLK; it's one of four distinct keys (two 64-bit, two 32-bit, all W7 Pro) I got from MSDNAA when I was in school. The other 64-bit key was used for my own gaming desktop, which upgraded to W10 without (much) difficulty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

el_caballo posted:

Just thought it was odd that out of the half-dozen PCs I've installed 10 on over the past year, only my main desktop is missing the entitlement text. If it doesn't get entitled, I'm going to hurt myself. I have a plan.

Psssh, quit acting so entitled about it. :v:

But if you're activated and don't have a digital entitlement maybe that's a good thing? Digital entitlements from free upgrades are the lowest rung of license. Maybe you have something better than entitlements! If it's a new-ish PC with an OEM license, maybe it was supposed to get a Windows 10 upgrade anyways even if they hadn't been giving them away for free? I know that's been a thing during the Vista->7 and 7->8 transitions.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯