Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

dis astranagant posted:

Skeletron on expert is a matter of making a big arena (3+ tiers of platforms about 2 screens wide should work, with heart lanterns and campfires spread around to provide their buffs) and running around with hermes boots + shield of cthulhu to avoid most of his attacks. Then just use your favorite weapon that can hit him from across the screen til he dies.

The important thing about skeletron on expert I saw from Yrimir (which will remain secondhand because fuuuuuuck expermod) is that you need ROOFS TO HIDE UNDER

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Acne Rain posted:

The important thing about skeletron on expert I saw from Yrimir (which will remain secondhand because fuuuuuuck expermod) is that you need ROOFS TO HIDE UNDER

Or just do what I did and make a minecart track all the way from the dungeon to your base with bumpers. Drink potions, summon skeletron, ride minecart back and forth while shooting him with the meteor gun. Be sure it's a placeable minecart and not the default basic one. He only gets to hit you once at each end and regen should take care of that. Almost all of the skulls just miss you.
e.

Ambaire posted:

Managed to beat expert skeletron. The trick ended up being a 2000 long minecart track stretching from my base to the dungeon with most of it just below the surface > sky transition. I took a couple skull hits then he hovered above me spitting them in front completely missing, then chased the minecart whirling, repeat. I had a couple tense moments when I realized I had forgotten to hammer the track stops to bounce but I got him.

e.

Ambaire fucked around with this message at 08:22 on Jul 23, 2016

Super Space Jam 64
Jan 6, 2010

Yet another violation of regulation 1910 subpart D.
Are there any goon servers up right now? I'm newly sadbrains'd from Starbound's 1.0 release and could go for some good ol' Terraria.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Awww man. I already built a whole track from the dungeon to my base above ground. Skeletron kills me while I'm taking it. I guess I'll spend an hour rebuilding it.

Hey Fingercuffs
Nov 29, 2007

Yo baby, you ever had your asshole licked by a fat man in an overcoat?
So I've hit the wall I always hit in this game and that's right after beating Plantera/Golem who I'm able to do easily I go and try the Cultist and the Duke both of which just wreck me. I'm using the Megashark with Chrolyphite bullets, and Chrolyphite armor with the ranged bonus. MY accessories are currently Charm of Myths, Cross Necklace, obsidian shield, Frostspark boots, and a Yellow Horseshoe Baloon. I last longer with the Cultist than I do the Duke but both seem to just wreck me. So what should I be doing to prepare for them? Should I go hunting for the alien probes and summon that invasion or go get shroomite gear before trying them again?

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever
Some of your gear is under par for the endgame. The Megashark is underpowered for where you are, if you want to stick with autofire guns get the Chain Gun from the Frost Moon which is slightly stronger, or the Xenopopper from the Martian Invasion. Replace Chlorophyte armor with Shroomite. Replace the Horseshoe Balloon with a set of wings. Also read up on buff potions if you're not using them already.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
there's plenty of endgame level gear that does not require you to grind moon events. See the wiki or look for low level videos.

At the very least if you ask someone to use moon event tools to give some advice on how to do actually get those, it's not like walking into a dungeon or something

I have beaten the game multiple times and I have never gotten anything from moon events.

Hey Fingercuffs
Nov 29, 2007

I never go into battle without at least ironskin and regen potions. But you said basically what I was thinking that the next step is wait for the various overnight events, and get the stuff from those. Also I've been sitting on some wings but just like dropping from high places without having to worry about fall damage.

Bakalakadaka
Sep 18, 2004

Hey Fingercuffs posted:

I never go into battle without at least ironskin and regen potions. But you said basically what I was thinking that the next step is wait for the various overnight events, and get the stuff from those. Also I've been sitting on some wings but just like dropping from high places without having to worry about fall damage.

You never take fall damage with wings equipped.

Hey Fingercuffs
Nov 29, 2007

Bakalakadaka posted:

You never take fall damage with wings equipped.

That's right...I don't know what the hell I was thinking then.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Hey Fingercuffs posted:

I never go into battle without at least ironskin and regen potions.
Yeah, no, if you're taking on Duke Fishron or the lunatic cultist you should be using every potion you can make in your world that's relevant to what you're using. Damage or crit depending on corruption/crimson, the straight damage down, more max HP, etc.

Also upgrade to shroomite armor if you're sticking with gun. You're at the stage where you're going to need the best of everything you can get. You might want to go looking for martian probes to trigger the martian invasion event for some gear.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005
Once you figure out how to do Martian events with a rooftop, you'll unlock the spaceship and it'll trivialize everything but the last boss.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Thor-Stryker posted:

Once you figure out how to do Martian events with a rooftop, you'll unlock the spaceship and it'll trivialize everything but the last boss.
My strategy for the Moon Lord was to take all the drugs, load my Vortex Beater with chlorphyte bullets, and use that saucer to fly directly away from him firing nonstop and use the best healing potion every time the cooldown wore off. Plus accessories, being able to replace my wings with a... worm scarf or something helped some.

It certainly didn't trivialize him but it sure helped.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway

Thor-Stryker posted:

I'm not sure there's a way to do it without a rooftop

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Zereth posted:

My strategy for the Moon Lord was to take all the drugs, load my Vortex Beater with chlorphyte bullets, and use that saucer to fly directly away from him firing nonstop and use the best healing potion every time the cooldown wore off. Plus accessories, being able to replace my wings with a... worm scarf or something helped some.

It certainly didn't trivialize him but it sure helped.
Yeah, the boring but basically sure-fire way of beating the Moon Lord (even without serious buff potions, but they make it go faster) is to craft a Godly Daybreak and a map-wide (or at least, very long) rail with bumpers at the end. Then just hit max speed and chuck Daybreaks backwards at whatever part is vulnerable. You'll need some greater healing potions if you don't have really studly gear because you'll get hit every 30-40 seconds or so, but you shouldn't really ever dip that low unless you get murdered on the turn-around.

I want to say I learned this from the guy who did the live stream of hardcore expert and finished it, but I can't recall. I did a similar rail trick with Plantera as well, just built a big rail donut (well, hexagon) around a campfire and put two heart statues on each opposite end. Then just yo-yo'd him to death (I think Eye of Cthulu at that point?).

Fizbin
Nov 1, 2004
Zoom!

Acne Rain posted:

I'm not sure there's a way to do it without a rooftop

Lightning boots+Shield of Cthulu/Tabi or the Hoverboard will make you maneuverable enough to survive the second phase, you just need to get the timing down.

StrangeAeon
Jul 11, 2011

Started up Terraria again for the first time in, like, ever. I want to actually attempt to contain the Corruption this time around (or crimson, whatever the hell that is) so I checked a wiki and it recommended a 3-tile wide Hellevator or wooden trench.

So, does that mean the background has to be knocked out too? Does it have to be filled with wood, or will an open space stop the spread?

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Background doesn't matter for corruption.

Corruption cannot jump a 3 space gap, but if one wall is dirt, then corruption grass can grow on it, those purple corruption thornbushes can grow off of that, and those thornbushes themselves can spread the corruption to the far wall.

You don't have to fill the gap with wood. Any non-corrupt tile will block corruption, including air, bricks, (even ebonstone bricks, oddly enough), wood, etc. Do not use dirt (corruption grass can grow on it), mud (will corrupt to dirt), stone (will corrupt to ebonstone once you start hardmode), or sand (will corrupt to ebonsand once you start hardmode).

Honestly though it's not worth the effort. Upon entering Hard Mode a giant swath of corruption will appear on the map, ignoring your protection trenches, and each time you break an altar with the Pwnhammer it spawns a little corruption and a little hallow in a random place on the map which can spread from there. You can safely preserve a small section of map by digging a barrier around and under your base, but trying to seal corruption off of large sections of the map is pointless.

If you want to clean the world up at the end then just push through hard mode until you unlock the clentaminator and buy backpacks full of purity solution.

StrangeAeon
Jul 11, 2011

Mzbundifund posted:

Honestly though it's not worth the effort. Upon entering Hard Mode a giant swath of corruption will appear on the map, ignoring your protection trenches, and each time you break an altar with the Pwnhammer it spawns a little corruption and a little hallow in a random place on the map which can spread from there. You can safely preserve a small section of map by digging a barrier around and under your base, but trying to seal corruption off of large sections of the map is pointless.

If you want to clean the world up at the end then just push through hard mode until you unlock the clentaminator and buy backpacks full of purity solution.

Thanks for the clarification! I ended up throwing in the towel after I read a bit further and found the Hardmode V.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

Unless you're going to have your game on idle at all times when you're not playing, IE a persistent server then you really don't have to worry about corruption spreading. Just make sure to build your base at the center or the very edge of the world.

graynull
Dec 2, 2005

Did I misread all the signs?
Terraria Otherworld progress report. Sounds like they are hard at work to make sure the game is up to snuff, even if it means delays and reworking a lot.

http://forums.terraria.org/index.php?threads/terraria-otherworld-bringing-you-up-to-speed.47302/

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

I've just gotten into this game in the last couple of weeks after Steam Roulette tossed it up randomly and I'm just stupefied by how much there is in this game. Currently beaten the Brain of Cthulhu and am hunting for the beehive.

Is there a good making of, or comprehensive interview about how this works? I need to know more!

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
I want to say that at release that was pretty much the end of the game. It's just kept growing up until now.

Read
Dec 21, 2010

The original version of the game (the first official release) ended more or less with the hell content, the Sunfury and what not were the top tier of gear (they also dropped randomly back then rather than being found in chests, the grind was awful).

quote:

Is there a good making of, or comprehensive interview about how this works? I need to know more!

There isn't a huge amount to say, but off the top of my head the history of the game is something like:

Redigit (lead designer, developer, creator) and Tiyuri (lead artist) start talking publically about the game in 2011, with information on the game being sporadically released as development continued. Redigit and Tiy would occasionally stream themselves playing, and one Youtuber (PBat) was allowed a copy of the game to LP. At some point a poorly secured server caused an alpha version of the game to leak, which the hyped up fanbase immediately started playing. The pressure from that caused the game to release earlier than intended, a few months later.

The game was wildly successful, at some point Tiyuri left to pursue developing his own game (Starbound). Over the next few years the team developing the game grew (new artists and programmers brought on) and a bunch of content was added to the game - most notably hardmode, the crimson/jungle temple/chlorophyte, the frost/pumpkin moons and the latest big patch that added the lunar events.

I think at this point Redigit and some people from the Terraria 1 team are working on Terraria 2, the remaining people continue to update Terraria 1 and there's also an offshoot game in development by another studio.

Read fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Jul 28, 2016

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Read posted:

The original version of the game (the first official release) ended more or less with the hell content, the Sunfury and what not were the top tier of gear (they also dropped randomly back then rather than being found in chests, the grind was awful).

There isn't a huge amount to say, but off the top of my head the history of the game is something like:

Redigit (lead designer, developer, creator) and Tiyuri (lead artist) start talking publically about the game in 2011, with information on the game being sporadically released as development continued. Redigit and Tiy would occasionally stream themselves playing, and one Youtuber (PBat) was allowed a copy of the game to LP. At some point a poorly secured server caused an alpha version of the game to leak, which the hyped up fanbase immediately started playing. The pressure from that caused the game to release earlier than intended, a few months later.

The game was wildly successful, at some point Tiyuri left to pursue developing his own game (Starbound). Over the next few years the team developing the game grew (new artists and programmers brought on) and a bunch of content was added to the game - most notably hardmode, the crimson/jungle temple/chlorophyte, the frost/pumpkin moons and the latest big patch that added the lunar events.

I think at this point Redigit and some people from the Terraria 1 team are working on Terraria 2, the remaining people continue to update Terraria 1 and there's also an offshoot game in development by another studio.

I thought Tiy was the guy Red hired after 1.0 to redo all the stolen sprites. There was another artist before him who got canned for that poo poo.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
I am still vaguely amused that the original player model was literally Butz from FFV.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

It's almost unbelievable how much content and polish was added to the game, for free, when it was already really liked and popular and could have been left as is. At the least it's secured me as being interested in trying out Terraria 2, since Red has given me the impression of a competent and hard working developer. Dude took time off to raise his newborn, came back, and just casually doubled the game's size with new stuff, and they're STILL going half a decade later.

Old release Terraria is a nightmare in comparison to the QOL we have now, it's kind of funny. The old world maps used to be wretched in design.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

Black August posted:

It's almost unbelievable how much content and polish was added to the game, for free, when it was already really liked and popular and could have been left as is. At the least it's secured me as being interested in trying out Terraria 2, since Red has given me the impression of a competent and hard working developer. Dude took time off to raise his newborn, came back, and just casually doubled the game's size with new stuff, and they're STILL going half a decade later.

Old release Terraria is a nightmare in comparison to the QOL we have now, it's kind of funny. The old world maps used to be wretched in design.

It's really something, isn't it? I was unemployed and not in the happiest frame of mind when it originally came out and bought the game mostly because I liked the graphics and wanted to cheer myself up. A week later I couldn't honestly say whether or not I had ever gotten up from my desk.

Apparently someone asked Red why he kept releasing so much for free, as it's no doubt a lot of work, in this age of paid DLC that often should just be part of the bloody base game. His "official" response was basically that he had already made millions of pounds on the game and still had a vision for it, so he kept adding to it. It shows how greedy and cynical we are as a society where a millionaire saying "I have enough money, I do this because I want to" is cause for surprise.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

I would easily pay :10bux: each for both of the major updates (hard mode and moonlord). It's really cool that it was all done for free instead.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

SirSamVimes posted:

I would easily pay :10bux: each for both of the major updates (hard mode and moonlord). It's really cool that it was all done for free instead.

I've bought a few copies for friends because of it. You should too!

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Yeah I agree, Red's built up a lot of trust and goodwill and Terraria 2 is going to get a lot of that support.

Unfortunately I can't say the same for Terraria: Otherworld, which he's not making.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Didn't he originally have a "PR guy" named Blue who was a complete disaster of a human being?

Read
Dec 21, 2010

Yeah, I had some vague memory that there was some drama which caused a team member to leave but I couldn't remember any details.

I Said No
May 21, 2007

jesus dude ur gonna kill someone with that av

Vargs posted:

Didn't he originally have a "PR guy" named Blue who was a complete disaster of a human being?

Yeah, The Best Gamers (a parody channel) gave Terraria one of their standard reviews, mostly mocking like they do with everything. He responded by trying to DMCA it, which may/may not have been illegal.
Plus the leak happened partially because someone got their hands on the copy and started trying to extort the devs with it, aka "give me this or I leak the game", and Blue's genius idea of dealing with this was to try and send the guy a virus to wreck his computer. Obviously it didn't work, and the guy was pissed and leaked the game.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Something possessed me to do an expert boomerang run. I hit max hp before I found my enchanted boomerang and hunting hornets with one sucks giant balls. Would not recommend.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
That's bad luck, I found an enchanted boomerang before I found a normal one and then just kept finding them. In place of magic mirrors. I currently have an Arkhalis, molten gear, and a stack of recall potions. :negative:

Hyedum
Jun 12, 2010
Look guys, you just didn't understand Blue. His PR algorithms would melt your brain.

Zernach
Oct 23, 2012
My bad luck item was an aglet, didn't see single one in any surface/underground chest after I ransacked the surface of a large map. Finally got it from a wooden crate.

At least Recall potions are very common, so you can live without a magic mirror for a good while.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Vargs posted:

The Art of Touching a Woman

Like a hand in rushing water,
a cool and tangible surface,
like a hand out a car window,
the wind controlling its movement,
like a hand upon green grass,
as you watch it bend in softness,
like a hand touching fire,
every moment leaves a mark,
like a hand in the frozen snow,
your warmth could melt it all,

gently,
slowly,
specifically,
all detail matters,
and every inch is art,
I could tell you about a reason,
to love a moment like this,
but its better left,
unsaid,

for a touch is worth a thousand words,
and pictures just don’t matter anymore,
for only a memory of your touch,
can bring that look to her face,
and that longing,
to her eyes.

--Blue

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cory in the Blouse
Oct 22, 2010

SAMUS ARAN
OUR ONLY HOPE!

This is like one of those things where you read the first letter of every line and it spells out 'HILLARY GIVE US THE TRUTH ABOUT BENGHAZI" or something