Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Revvik posted:

Also Buell makes cool weird poo poo,

Fixed your obvious typo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

do people actually not understand why putting sportster engines into sportbikes is cool, or am i missing the irony here

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Is it because the v-twin is God's own powerplant of choice?

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Sagebrush posted:

Is it because the v-twin is God's own powerplant of choice?

90 degree watercooled v-twins with decent tuning, yes.

Sportster engines meet the v-twin part of that.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

OMGVBFLOL posted:

do people actually not understand why putting sportster engines into sportbikes is cool, or am i missing the irony here

It's cause they're heavy clunky underpowered garbage. I used to think buells were a fabulous idea until I found out harley engines make gently caress all power despite their impressive size and bulk.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

i guess they actually don't. weird

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe
Thunderbolts and Ulysseseses will never not be loving awesome to me.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

I guess belt drive seems pretty cool. Like less maintenance.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I used to think harley engine in a sporty frame was roughly analogous to an LS2 in an rx7. Now I realise it's actually like an iron duke in an rx7.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Slavvy posted:

It's cause they're heavy clunky underpowered garbage. I used to think buells were a fabulous idea until I found out harley engines make gently caress all power despite their impressive size and bulk.

You all talk like you've never rode a legitimately fun bike.

100hp seems fine, especially when you put it into an anti gravity chassis that makes the bike like 50-100 lbs lighter than comparable bikes and learn to short shift everywhere like a hooligan because torque is actually pretty cool and fun.

Also there is no better sounding config than a 45° strokey twin pushing against load

clutchpuck fucked around with this message at 07:49 on Jul 29, 2016

Quite A Tool
Jul 4, 2004

The answer is... 42
Trolling Craigslist I found this guy which doesn't seem like an awful deal. I've been dying to get back on a bike after a year without but I know gently caress all about vintage Hondas. However if i can ride away at $700 or so I'm not too worried. Any big time problems I should look out for besides those clubmans and the uhh.....front brake fluid fillup, which I assume means the reservoir is low.

http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/mcy/5705607810.html

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

clutchpuck posted:

You all talk like you've never rode a legitimately fun bike.

100hp seems fine, especially when you put it into an anti gravity chassis that makes the bike like 50-100 lbs lighter than comparable bikes and learn to short shift everywhere like a hooligan because torque is actually pretty cool and fun.

Also there is no better sounding config than a 45° strokey twin pushing against load

The two most legitimately fun bikes I've ridden both had less than 70hp.

What would you call comparable to an xb9?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Quite A Tool posted:

Trolling Craigslist I found this guy which doesn't seem like an awful deal. I've been dying to get back on a bike after a year without but I know gently caress all about vintage Hondas. However if i can ride away at $700 or so I'm not too worried. Any big time problems I should look out for besides those clubmans and the uhh.....front brake fluid fillup, which I assume means the reservoir is low.

http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/mcy/5705607810.html

I tend to look at what the seller says still needs to be done and use it to make a guess about their mechanical ability. Topping up the brake fluid is like two minutes of work, and bleeding the brakes isn't that much effort either. It's certainly less work than rebuilding four carburetors, which is something he says has been done. So what does that say, that he supposedly rebuilt the carbs but he can't be bothered to fix the brakes? To me, either he's lying about the work being done, or he didn't do it himself. Lying about the work is bad. Hiring someone else to do it is a toss-up, since you don't get to meet that person and evaluate how well you think they did the work.

Obviously you'll want to replace the bars, yeah. Those hose clamps on the air box boots aren't stock and hint at a cheap repair -- not bad, necessarily, but it means it's unlikely to be professionally done. The gas tank has obviously been replaced so the bike was probably crashed at some point. The exhaust system isn't stock; check and make sure it has reasonable mounting hardware, so it's not just hanging off the head, and that it doesn't interfere with anything (stands, swingarm, chain, tire). Tires look like an old design; they might just be vintage-reproduction tires made recently (check the date code) but you'll want better ones either way. No close-up pics of the chain but it looks rusty. Seat is obviously ripped -- this really sucks in a rainy place because once some water gets into the foam, it squishes out every time you sit down for the next three days. 43,000 miles is a fair bit for a bike of that vintage.

Tell the guy not to start the bike before you get there, and when you arrive check the exhaust headers and make sure they're cold -- you want to get a sense of how well it starts after sitting overnight, not just after the guy has warmed it up for you. If it fires right up and runs well through all the gears, and you're interested in a little project, I'd say $700 is fair.

Keket
Apr 18, 2009

Mhmm
Seen a few Triumph speed fours pop up recently on gumtree for pretty cheap prices, anyone got any thoughts about them?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Keket posted:

Seen a few Triumph speed fours pop up recently on gumtree for pretty cheap prices, anyone got any thoughts about them?

Overweight and underpowered and ugly but I've only ridden one.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Slavvy posted:

Overweight and underpowered and ugly but I've only ridden one.

Sounds like my ex-wife!

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

The Bananana posted:

Sounds like my ex-wife!

If your ex wife could only summon 80-odd horsepower out of a 600cc four then she's either lazy as gently caress or an fz6 in disguise.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Looking for baby's first dirt bike(s) for me and my kid. Me, 5'10", 215 lbs (but dropping)...Him 65 lbs, 48-49" or so. Need to measure him. Anyway, something cheap and slow to learn on.

rally
Nov 19, 2002

yospos

Tide posted:

Looking for baby's first dirt bike(s) for me and my kid. Me, 5'10", 215 lbs (but dropping)...Him 65 lbs, 48-49" or so. Need to measure him. Anyway, something cheap and slow to learn on.

Get a Honda crf 150f and have at it.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Seems a little big for him and small for my fat rear end?

M42
Nov 12, 2012

XR100 for him, though that'll definitely be small for your fat rear end

(I know a 220lb guy that races one in minimoto, it'll be cramped but can be done)

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Tide posted:

I do fine on a 125 2t and I'm about your dimensions.

rally
Nov 19, 2002

yospos

Tide posted:

Are you looking to buy two bikes then? Nothing is going to perfectly fit both a child and a large adult without some serious part swapping between riders. My wife is 5 foot tall 115 lbs and she easily flat foots the 150f at rest, which makes me feel like it's a little small considering I can barely tippy toe my ktm 350.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Yeah, two seperate bikes

rally
Nov 19, 2002

yospos
Well then I would recommend a crf 100f for the kid and a crf 250f for you. They are heavy as poo poo and low on power but for a tough and reliable bike to learn on I don't think there is a much better option. They are super easy on maintenance and seem impossible to kill, parts are cheap and everywhere since the bikes had the same design for over a decade, etc. My first dirt bike was a 150f that my wife now rides.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Awesome, thanks for the input

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

rally posted:

Well then I would recommend a crf 100f for the kid and a crf 250f for you. They are heavy as poo poo and low on power but for a tough and reliable bike to learn on I don't think there is a much better option. They are super easy on maintenance and seem impossible to kill, parts are cheap and everywhere since the bikes had the same design for over a decade, etc. My first dirt bike was a 150f that my wife now rides.

CRF80 instead of CRF100 IMO. Easy to sell and better as a kid's starter bike.

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?
So I'm planning to get my A-license by the end of 2017, and after some digging around I'm either gonna go for the Yamaha FZ-07 or the 2017 Suzuki SV650 as my first bike. From what I've read, the two are virtually the same, so I'm gonna have to look for other factors to decide which to get. How do they compare in terms of aftermarket options, insurance premium and other things I might be overlooking?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Well, you're certainly planning well in advance, I'll give you that.

Why are you buying something new as your first bike?

makka-setan
Jan 21, 2004

Happy camping.

horriblePencilist posted:

So I'm planning to get my A-license by the end of 2017, and after some digging around I'm either gonna go for the Yamaha FZ-07 or the 2017 Suzuki SV650 as my first bike. From what I've read, the two are virtually the same, so I'm gonna have to look for other factors to decide which to get. How do they compare in terms of aftermarket options, insurance premium and other things I might be overlooking?

Look at older, cheaper bikes that you won't mind dropping. Dropping and scratching a new bike can cost thousands in additional value deprecation. Dropping an already dropped bike will cost nothing. Look for one with ABS though. ABS can very much save your life.

But to answer your question, the FZ-07 is noticeably lighter than the SV which is nice for newbies, or actually pretty much anyone. I should think the insurance should be very similar, but make sure to shop around.

And why are you planning so far ahead? Get on it!

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

makka-setan posted:

Look at older, cheaper bikes that you won't mind dropping. Dropping and scratching a new bike can cost thousands in additional value deprecation. Dropping an already dropped bike will cost nothing. Look for one with ABS though. ABS can very much save your life.

But to answer your question, the FZ-07 is noticeably lighter than the SV which is nice for newbies, or actually pretty much anyone. I should think the insurance should be very similar, but make sure to shop around.

And why are you planning so far ahead? Get on it!

I agree with everything here, but the SV is a v-twin. Pencilist you don't yet know why this matters but trust me, it does.

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?

Sagebrush posted:

Well, you're certainly planning well in advance, I'll give you that.

Why are you buying something new as your first bike?

It most likely won't be new, I just figured that since I have to wait till next December to get my license, I might be able to find a used SV650 by then.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

horriblePencilist posted:

It most likely won't be new, I just figured that since I have to wait till next December to get my license, I might be able to find a used SV650 by then.

I'd be seriously surprised if you couldn't.

Get the SV650 in my opinion.

V twins are magical.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Shimrod posted:

I'd be seriously surprised if you couldn't.

Get the SV650 in my opinion.

V twins are magical.

Don't listen to him, when I was on my Ninja 500 (p-twin) I was a sedate, calm commuter rider. The perfect newbie motorcyclist.

The SV650 has turned me into a damned wheelie-addicted hooligan who only lives for the raw growling of 90° cylinders delivering all the torques at wide-open throttle.

I've been perusing craigslist for a nice supermoto so that when I sell my 500 I can truly unleash the inner beast. Please send help.

Beach Bum fucked around with this message at 12:17 on Aug 4, 2016

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

Beach Bum posted:

Don't listen to him, when I was on my Ninja 500 (p-twin) I was a sedate, calm commuter rider. The perfect newbie motorcyclist.

The SV650 has turned me into a damned wheelie-addicted hooligan who only lives for the raw growling of 90° cylinders delivering all the torques at wide-open throttle.

I've been perusing craigslist for a nice supermoto so that when I sell my 500 I can truly unleash the inner beast. Please send help.

Best of both worlds - get a V-twin and a Supermoto like all the cool kids.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Shimrod posted:

my brother have you heard of the aprilia sxv550?

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Get a supermoto if you are up to dropping "new bike" money. It's a great beginner bike in many regards, unless you have lots and lots of highway to do.

Shimrod posted:

Working so hard towards this atm.

Beach Bum posted:

Yeah, this is me as well. EX250 makes me a polite rider, while the supermoto is all braapp all the time.

Coydog fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Aug 4, 2016

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

builds character posted:

my brother have you heard of the aprilia sxv550?

I have heard the Word, and deemed myself unworthy.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
With only a few minor mods you too could have a 1290 SM.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

When I first got in to riding, I went to a bike show and Aprilia had an SXV550 there and I honestly started to grow red horns and cloven hooves just from sitting on it. I've never been on something that felt so evil. I'd like to say it was the 50 hour top end rebuilds that put me off, but really it was the images being chased by police while wheelieing through an orphanage, running over puppies and pathetic orphans and doing stoppies on their mewling faces, that came unbidden into my mind when I got on it.