Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Poor Black Orcs :( Wish they'd gotten a recruit time change at least. Price isnt a huge issue for SP though, I imagine thats a big MP thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow
Someone mentionned earlier how spells are boosted with the patch. Is there word out somewhere on if it's a boost that made them scale with unit size, or if it's just that they moved their usefulness from being at normal unit sizes to large unit sizes (I remember the problem being that spell didn't scale properly, were massively op at small unit sizes and barely scratched at maximum).

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

Aurubin posted:

Out of curiosity, is the Beastman language a conlang that CA made up or some GW thing? Or are they all speaking Finnish or something pitched really low.

IIRC, both in tabletop and WHRPG lore, the Beastmen speak Dark Tongue and Beast Tongue. The first is the common language used by chaotic creatures, including demons. The latter is a a collection of grunts and animal sounds, usually alongside body gestures, this one is exclusive to Beastmen and can't be used by common humans.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

StarMinstrel posted:

Someone mentionned earlier how spells are boosted with the patch. Is there word out somewhere on if it's a boost that made them scale with unit size, or if it's just that they moved their usefulness from being at normal unit sizes to large unit sizes (I remember the problem being that spell didn't scale properly, were massively op at small unit sizes and barely scratched at maximum).

There's probably no functionality built into the game engine to change spells with unit size, you'll notice modders haven't been able to do it either.

Changes that I've noticed so far are that Vortex/aoe damage spells seem generally buffed, (I haven't done much testing though) and cooldowns are much longer across the board. Upgrading a spell now reduces cooldown by 50% instead of 15%, a whole bunch of spells had their cost adjusted, and in MP there seems to be a system where taking more spells reducing the mana cost for all of them.

There's also no longer a difference in cooldown for regular and overcast spells, which solves the previous problem of the cooldown adjustments not doing anything with overcast spells.

Loremaster, sadly, still only reduces cooldowns by 10% RIP Gelt and Kemmler.

Buff/debuffs seem to have been mostly left alone as far as I can tell.

Malagor and Bray Shamans get some really cool new wizard-ish talents, Malagor can sink three points into giving himself +30 winds in every battle, and Bray Shamans have a skill that reduces all spell cooldowns on the battlefield by 30%, giving them some nice apprentice type functionality.

madmac fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Jul 29, 2016

madmac
Jun 22, 2010
On another topic, the always fun debate of Khazrac vs Malagor, who is the better LL?

Khazrac

Pros:

-Is a relatively strong/mobile melee hero with a powerful quest weapon that boosts income and applies poison.

-Starting in Estalia is waaaaay more fun than starting in the Badlands

-Between his whip and his campaign bonus he gets at least +20% raid income, which actually matters because Beastmen have poo poo money.

-Bestial Cunning is one of the best one point skills in the game, +8% Ambush effectiveness/defense is very nice to have.

-Unlocking Malagor just requires the basic shaman building that you'll want relatively early anyway so you can use magic.

-Starts with Minotaurs, who are ridiculously amazing.

Cons:

Aside from Bestial Cunning and his whip, is pretty much just a Beastlord with better stats and one unique skill. Effective but a little dull.

Campaign Bonuses aren't hot stuff. The LD bonus looks less impressive when you see the array of LD Buffs Beastmen can get.

His armor is cool for flavor, it gives him magic resistance and reduces winds around him, but you can't bring it in MP and when is that ever going to matter in Campaign?

Summary: A solid pick, but aside from just having a more fun start, seems both weaker and less interesting than Malagor?

Malagor

Pros:

-Lore of the Wild is really good, your one passive skill alone is a mapwide 24% buff to speed!

-Lore of the Wild also has the most currently broken spell in the game (Devolve) and Lets you summon a fricken Cygor

-Campaign Bonuses are pretty much just better than Khazrac

-Has more and generally slightly better unique skills. Something Wicked this Way comes gives -9 LD for all enemy armies in the same region, I mean dude.

-His Quest Item is a straight passive aoe buff, pretty strong.

-Starts with a Giant, which might not actually be better than starting with Minotaurs.

-Looks Metal as Hell

Cons:

-While his passives make him pretty fast, he's still a fairly squishy Wizard lord with no mount and no flying ability.

-Seriously gently caress the Badlands

-Has so much poo poo that skilling him up is like pulling teeth.

-Not thaaaat much better than a normal Bray Shaman.

-Unlocking One Eye is kinda annoying.

Winner? Ehhhhh either is fine. I do think Malagor is overall cooler but it's not a huge deal.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
The correct Malagor strategy is to hit the Top Knots in the face for a bit of travel money, then go loping north/northwest to sack the Border Princes and Tilea anyway. :v:

Helps that the Beastpaths go underwater. ...Somehow.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
We all live on an Amber Submarine... an Amber Submarine...

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Chaos.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Todbringer got his own model in the main campaign too, I am excited

Admittedly I pictured a different look but whatever

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

GreyjoyBastard posted:

The correct Malagor strategy is to hit the Top Knots in the face for a bit of travel money, then go loping north/northwest to sack the Border Princes and Tilea anyway. :v:

They go from one forest to another.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Hmm ok so the patch says they adjusted costs on the lords and heroes I wonder what kind of adjustments they made for MP balance...

HOLY gently caress

3K MANNFRED JESUS CHRIST

e: THE DRAGON IS ADDITIONAL OH MY GOD

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow
Good.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

WHO IS LIKE STUNTY NOW???

Fresh Shesh Besh
May 15, 2013

I'm pretty sure the lords start out with all their spells equipped which is why Manny costs almost 3k. If you take off some of his spells he will be cheaper.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Fresh Shesh Besh posted:

I'm pretty sure the lords start out with all their spells equipped which is why Manny costs almost 3k. If you take off some of his spells he will be cheaper.

You're right. I was sticker shocked when I saw that and posted before thinking to explore the new customization options. Their default price seems to include all spells and abilities but no equipment or mount.

Now that I look at them though I think I'm gonna have a lot of fun theorycrafting some different loadouts.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Nanomashoes posted:

They go from one forest to another.

Oh, so it's an Athel Loren sort of thing. That makes sense in a Warhammer sort of way.

Party Alarm
May 10, 2012
Total War: Warhammer - GOATY Edition

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Oh my god, ok I know everyone is jerking off about minotaurs but HOLY poo poo minotaurs. If you have the blood DLC you owe it to yourself to watch those fuckers charge right into the back of an Empire line. They don't just kill dudes on the charge, they straight up MAKE THEM loving EXPLODE IN A SHOWER OF BLOOD. It's insane and wonderful. Also, Minotaurs with Great Weapons are Anti-Large and almost as fast as cavalry with the right techs and lord/agent skills. They're incredible and you should all be using them.

Gejnor
Mar 14, 2005

Fun Shoe
So hey, how do i update my mod:
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=707695876

Without starting over from scratch? Right now its so out of date the game cannot launch if i select it.

Luminous Cow
Nov 2, 2007

Well you know there should be no law
on people that want to smoke a little dope.
Well you know it's good for your head
And it relax your body don't you know.

:420:

Chomp8645 posted:

We all live on an Amber Submarine... an Amber Submarine...

This is probably the most underrated post in the thread

I'm finally off work and able to play. I've stayed relatively spoiler free on the mini campaign so I'm very excited. And I don't work tomorrow :woop:

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Looks like you can only summon one Cygor per battle (...per shaman, maybe?).

Which is, you know, just fine.

Yukitsu
Oct 11, 2012

Snow=Yuki
Fox=Kitsune
Snow Fox=Yukitsu, ne?

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Looks like you can only summon one Cygor per battle (...per shaman, maybe?).

Which is, you know, just fine.

It's per Shaman. Basically it's a 1600 point cygor for a portion of your probably much cheaper bray shaman.

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

There is no wealth like knowledge, no poverty like ignorance.

Yukitsu posted:

It's per Shaman. Basically it's a 1600 point cygor for a portion of your probably much cheaper bray shaman.
Sure, that spell is broken as hell, but it will still cost you a huge chunk of Winds of Magic to cast, no?

Yukitsu
Oct 11, 2012

Snow=Yuki
Fox=Kitsune
Snow Fox=Yukitsu, ne?

Olive Branch posted:

Sure, that spell is broken as hell, but it will still cost you a huge chunk of Winds of Magic to cast, no?

I've been playing games where I just take 3 bray shamans with pretty much nothing but that spell and one with viletide for any scraps so I don't think I can say I really care. It's even dumber because I only have to pay for one passive.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.

Gejnor posted:

So hey, how do i update my mod:
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=707695876

Without starting over from scratch? Right now its so out of date the game cannot launch if i select it.

I don't know your mod structure but if you aren't renaming the tables you edited, and the game changed those files with a patch, your mod will break the game because your tables aren't updated and the game doesn't know where that new poo poo is. Considering this patch added a bunch of lords with new stuff, that's likely the reason.

You will have to update your tables to a new mod, and/or rework your mod so that you aren't modifying vanilla tables (add a prefix like gj_data_core)

Your can still overwrite vanilla entries of the same names and/or IDs , so you can still make unique tables with vanilla entries inside. You should delete every entry you aren't changing in your new tables though. Look at my settlements mod to see what I mean.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Jul 29, 2016

Fresh Shesh Besh
May 15, 2013

Has anyone else found the upkeep reduction buildings for Beastmen to be a mandatory building to rush if you want more than 1 army? With one army I can coast along just fine, but trying to keep 2 armies at 17 units to get brayherds basically requires me to never raze for horde growth. I don't think I was able to comfortably separate my armies until like 80 turns in. I was fighting off bankruptcy the entire time.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Fresh Shesh Besh posted:

Has anyone else found the upkeep reduction buildings for Beastmen to be a mandatory building to rush if you want more than 1 army? With one army I can coast along just fine, but trying to keep 2 armies at 17 units to get brayherds basically requires me to never raze for horde growth. I don't think I was able to comfortably separate my armies until like 80 turns in. I was fighting off bankruptcy the entire time.

It's pretty rough, yeah. Risky to grab them TOO early though, they tank your growth if you haven't gone up the blue tree a bit and/or don't have the growth tech yet. (Technically, they tank your growth then too, but they're just too important to getting a second stack operational)

Gejnor
Mar 14, 2005

Fun Shoe

Mazz posted:

I don't know your mod structure but if you aren't renaming the tables you edited, and the game changed those files with a patch, your mod will break the game because your tables aren't updated and the game doesn't know where that new poo poo is. Considering this patch added a bunch of lords with new stuff, that's likely the reason.

You will have to update your tables to a new mod, and/or rework your mod so that you aren't modifying vanilla tables (add a prefix like gj_data_core)

Your can still overwrite vanilla entries of the same names and/or IDs , so you can still make unique tables with vanilla entries inside. You should delete every entry you aren't changing in your new tables though. Look at my settlements mod to see what I mean.

Ive always had my own custom names for the actual tables changed, besides the start_pos .esf file that you cannot change.

This one for instance uses upgraded_ll_items as its name for the changed tables.

Or do you mean i also need to change "ancillary to effects tables" ? I assume not since the game needs to know where the tables are supposed to be used and all.

Also what does update my tables to a new mod mean, exactly? Do i use PFM?

Decus
Feb 24, 2013
If you're editing the startpos.esf you'll want to rebuild from scratch for at least that file. If you haven't downloaded the assembly kit yet that is honestly what you should be using for any startpos.esf edits that involve more than one or two simple changes.

Also I think that sort of table name has a 50/50 chance at actually working by the way--for whatever reason I've had table edits not work until I put a __core at the end of the name when others will happily accept whatever. Also like he said you want to delete all rows you didn't touch. Sometimes. Other times that also causes the mod not to work! That's why you'll notice all of the "play as ____ faction" mods don't delete rows and are usually not compatible with each other or, well, several other mods--deleting the rows causes them to not work for whatever reason.

edit: Also, you might want to make sure that both the ancillary and the effect you are editing still exist with the same names and generally it can't hurt to include those entries manually. If you're making a balance patch to ancillary effects you probably do in fact want to try to overwrite both the ancillary and effect entry for maximum compatibility with other mods. Otherwise some other mod could have changed one or the other in such a way that you'd get crashes. Also might want to check that all of the columns are the same between patches--they could've added more. All of those things could add up to "you have to remake it from scratch" though the assembly kit remains a good idea to side-step that. The assembly kit is good for starting projects whereas PFM is good for looking into and editing other people's or doing quicker updates/clean-up on your own.

Decus fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Jul 29, 2016

madmac
Jun 22, 2010
Ok, after running some actual tests with damage spells.

Vortex Spells are all noticeably improved, all the ones I tested damage a visibly larger area and some of them probably have boosted damage on top. They're still pretty unreliable ect, but not strictly a waste of time I don't think.

Explosion Spells also seem to be fixed, Comet of Cassandra actually properly does a shitload of damage to units caught in it's explosion now, for example.

Gelt is still loving trash. If Searing Doom has been improved it's not very noticeable, Final Transmutation actually does slightly less damage than it did last patch even though Devolve is literally the same thing except 3 times as powerful, a 50% larger AoE, 10 winds cheaper, and has an added debuff.

The only good news is that Golden Hounds was included in the general vortex buff so Lore of Metal is very slightly improved but still by far war the worst lore?

TLDR, magic mostly improved, friends don't let friends play Gelt.

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

i wonder if they'll pull an Empire: Total War with the Wood Elves and shunt Athel Loren into it's own area a la the Americas and India. It would make sense from the "magical time and space warping" forest angle. I wonder if they'll do something similar when they add the western factions to the grand campaign, considering the axing of naval combat. Man O'War gets no respect.

Yukitsu
Oct 11, 2012

Snow=Yuki
Fox=Kitsune
Snow Fox=Yukitsu, ne?

Aurubin posted:

i wonder if they'll pull an Empire: Total War with the Wood Elves and shunt Athel Loren into it's own area a la the Americas and India. It would make sense from the "magical time and space warping" forest angle. I wonder if they'll do something similar when they add the western factions to the grand campaign, considering the axing of naval combat. Man O'War gets no respect.

Man-o-war would be pretty hard to balance on the measure of 2 factions having things that are basically giant floating islands and the other having things that can sink islands by ramming them while I'm not even sure that beastmen or lizardmen have boats at all.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Yeah, I think the big issue going forward is how they can add more stuff without making things overcrowded. Since launch the Empire has had Savage Orks and Beastmen added to their problems; are they going to add in Skaven, overseas pirates, and colonisation? How does the chaos invasion affect the factions off the edges of the current map? I'm not saying they can't get it all on one map, but the overall narrative of the campaign will probably be unrecognisable. Maybe they'll reuse/add to the current map but set it in a different period, retroactively turn the main campaign into a mini-campaign. It will be the "Storm of Chaos" scenario; the grand campaign will be more of a general battle royale, where the main factions all have stronger/larger starting positions, and the player has more freedom to invade whoever they want.

To be clear, this is all speculation.

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

Krazyface posted:

Yeah, I think the big issue going forward is how they can add more stuff without making things overcrowded. Since launch the Empire has had Savage Orks and Beastmen added to their problems; are they going to add in Skaven, overseas pirates, and colonisation? How does the chaos invasion affect the factions off the edges of the current map? I'm not saying they can't get it all on one map, but the overall narrative of the campaign will probably be unrecognisable. Maybe they'll reuse/add to the current map but set it in a different period, retroactively turn the main campaign into a mini-campaign. It will be the "Storm of Chaos" scenario; the grand campaign will be more of a general battle royale, where the main factions all have stronger/larger starting positions, and the player has more freedom to invade whoever they want.

To be clear, this is all speculation.

To be fair, balance aside it would be true to the setting. The Empire is and always should be hosed from all angles. While Tilea and Estalia twirl merrily. At least the Greenskins occasionally declare war on the Border Princes.

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

I say, hey, listen to me!
Stay sane inside insanity!!!
Skaven would likely be located in that impassible marsh between Italy and Spain, not rising up out of Altdorfs sewers.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Schizotek posted:

Skaven would likely be located in that impassible marsh between Italy and Spain, not rising up out of Altdorfs sewers.

That is literally Skavenblight, their capitol, so the player faction would probably start there.
No reason you can't have AI skaven hordes springing up out of the ground literally everywhere though.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

loving sucks that lore of metal is poo poo still :( Hopefully it gets another balance pass in the future.

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

I refuse to believe in a Warhammer world where Lizardman pyramids do not float on water.

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

Do Greenskin WAAAGH!!! armies attack targets of their own volition like brayherds? I have a memory of them being very mechanical in comparison.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luminous Cow
Nov 2, 2007

Well you know there should be no law
on people that want to smoke a little dope.
Well you know it's good for your head
And it relax your body don't you know.

:420:
Holy poo poo I love beastmen. Get a gorebull, give it the leadership skill that increases charge to all units around him (preferably to level 4), and charge him and two minotaurs into the enemy flanks. Then charge centigors into their back, making sure they're caught by the gorebull's aura. Enemy flanks just melt away. Now I'm starting to unlock cool units, and I have no idea how I want to build my army. I never really used vanguard units, but having an army of vanguard (with stalk!) is just ridiculously fun to use. I've won battles I clearly had no business winning just because I had those Ungor herds creeping around to the sides, then simultaneously slamming their flanks with ungors, centigors, and warhounds. Maybe I should give those razorgors a shot, combine them with minotaurs and see how fast I shred infantry.

Beastmen, skaven, and ogre kingdoms were my top three armies I was waiting for in TW:W, and man, beastmen don't disappoint.

• Locked thread