Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jeremy_X
Jul 27, 2006
I find myself in need of speed/endurance exercises. Anyone have any favorites?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeff Goldblum
Dec 3, 2009

Jeremy_X posted:

I find myself in need of speed/endurance exercises. Anyone have any favorites?

Referring to our OP's in-depth FAQ, I would recommend everything in Bass Fitness. My personal favorite (or fallback, call it what you will) is to do the "spider walk" progressively faster and faster until I feel like Skwisgaar Skwigelf practicing arpeggios.

Jeremy_X
Jul 27, 2006

Jeff Goldblum posted:

Referring to our OP's in-depth FAQ, I would recommend everything in Bass Fitness. My personal favorite (or fallback, call it what you will) is to do the "spider walk" progressively faster and faster until I feel like Skwisgaar Skwigelf practicing arpeggios.

The OP's great as is Bass Fitness, I was just curious if anyone had anything outside of those that they liked. If no one does, no biggie I can just stick with the spider walk.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
Bass Fitness + metronome 'till your fingies fall off.

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

Jaco once suggested working from cello books, since the cello is tuned in fifths and so can provide some good finger obstacle courses on bass.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
I get bored doing scales on the bass (but not guitar for some reason) so I practice with songs.

Go ahead and scoff but when I was a kid I practiced with this song:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AnvEyMdDkJA

Then when I got older and starting getting down Iron Maiden songs I would use this riff to warm up:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7zk4as9kzA&t=255s

So maybe when you get bored of your millionth time doing coils of three up and down the neck in E Dorian, learn something new and out of your league (like To Tame a Land or Phantom of the Opera from Iron Maiden)(Steve Harris is God).

Spanish Manlove fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Jul 28, 2016

Jeremy_X
Jul 27, 2006

Seventh Arrow posted:

Jaco once suggested working from cello books, since the cello is tuned in fifths and so can provide some good finger obstacle courses on bass.

Spanish Manlove posted:

I get bored doing scales on the bass (but not guitar for some reason) so I practice with songs.

Go ahead and scoff but when I was a kid I practiced with this song:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AnvEyMdDkJA

Then when I got older and starting getting down Iron Maiden songs I would use this riff to warm up:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7zk4as9kzA&t=255s

So maybe when you get bored of your millionth time doing coils of three up and down the neck in E Dorian, learn something new and out of your league (like To Tame a Land or Phantom of the Opera from Iron Maiden)(Steve Harris is God).

Now this is the sort of thing I was looking for. Anyone know a good cello book? Steve Harris is a God, never heard of Anti-Flag. Just discovered Alex Webster on https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TuH6V3z-V6Y that speed and faster is what I need to get to. Any other speedsters? Genre doesn't matter, I'll play anything.

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...

Jeremy_X posted:

Now this is the sort of thing I was looking for. Anyone know a good cello book? Steve Harris is a God, never heard of Anti-Flag. Just discovered Alex Webster on https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TuH6V3z-V6Y that speed and faster is what I need to get to. Any other speedsters? Genre doesn't matter, I'll play anything.

David Ellefson! I don't think I've mentioned him enough in this thread:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7oah2HSQlps
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JRdB_Xvb_YA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=okeSIYi79kw

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Jeremy_X posted:

Matt Freeman of Operation Ivy/Rancid fame is another absolutely incredible player:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=llbW8VogyVE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uE1zgrMdxBE

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Where did you learn to drive?
Maintenance sucks sometimes...

For such a huge cab (17x20x40 inches) there is no clearance around the drivers. Part of that is because I added wheels whose frames cut into that space...

I haven't used this cab at proper volume for over a year, and it sounds like some of the nuts may have shaken themselves a bit loose. I also have a slight issue with cone slap (sick excursion on these speakers) and I am using this cab for a gig in a few weeks, so I might as well pull the drivers and try to carve out some material from the baffle. I have never wanted to really push the cab to the point of xmax because of the cone slapping the baffle, but this thing makes so much noise that I haven't needed to push to xmax. We will have a big barn to fill out with no PA sub as of now, so I think it's time to make some baffle space and see just how low this can go.

My panel was quite well sealed - I needed to use a thin chisel to help pop it loose from the gasket. Definitely airtight! I'm glad to see most of the damping material is still attached - a few pieces are loose, so I'll reglue those when I work on the baffle tomorrow.

Tad Naff
Jul 8, 2004

I told you you'd be sorry buying an emoticon, but no, you were hung over. Well look at you now. It's not catching on at all!
:backtowork:
What is the general opinion of the Geddy Lee Fender? And what would be a reasonable price?

Pokey Araya
Jan 1, 2007
Bad-fuckin-rear end, and about $600if it's been used pretty well, or $700 for a mint one. I sold mine after touring with it a for couple years and I regret that, I'm gonna hit the guy up and see if I can buy it back.

Chimbley Sweep
Jul 21, 2006

haggisforthesoul's mortal frenemy

FeloniousDrunk posted:

What is the general opinion of the Geddy Lee Fender? And what would be a reasonable price?

I love mine. Checking Ebay it looks like $600-700 is the going price for MIJ which is around what I paid.

DrChu
May 14, 2002

Definitely try to get a Japanese version. When they moved production to Mexico they started to get loose with the specs and not all will have the 70s pickup spacing or super thin neck the originals have.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

Chimbley Sweep posted:

I love mine. Checking Ebay it looks like $600-700 is the going price for MIJ which is around what I paid.

Love mine too. I have a CIJ one that I will die with.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

FeloniousDrunk posted:

I played a MIJ one at a guitar store a long time ago and fell in love, it's such a nice bass.

Frog 1.0
Jun 2, 2001

Now with 33% less Engrish
I'm a little lost with difference with amp min impedance and speakers. I have a marshall 100w head that is set to 8ohms and it handle my Orange 2x12" 120 watts that as 16 ohms inputs fine. I got this new Traynor speaker cabinet with 2x10". At the back it says impedance of 8ohms in parallel.

So im not sure if the parallel means that the speakers as a total of 4ohms or the 8ohms is true and there should be no damage done to my amp or speakers? There's a bad vibration noise coming off the back of the cabinet everytime I hit low notes so I want to be sure im hooked up right before going back to the store and getting it fixed or refund or whatever.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Traynor TC210?

I don't own one, but my friend has one hooked up to an 8 ohm amp and I've plugged my PF500 into it no worries. His buzzed a bit too, he tightened the visible screws (or bolts or whatever it has) and it stopped.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Frog 1.0 posted:

I'm a little lost with difference with amp min impedance and speakers. I have a marshall 100w head that is set to 8ohms and it handle my Orange 2x12" 120 watts that as 16 ohms inputs fine. I got this new Traynor speaker cabinet with 2x10". At the back it says impedance of 8ohms in parallel.

So im not sure if the parallel means that the speakers as a total of 4ohms or the 8ohms is true and there should be no damage done to my amp or speakers? There's a bad vibration noise coming off the back of the cabinet everytime I hit low notes so I want to be sure im hooked up right before going back to the store and getting it fixed or refund or whatever.

Read this and think about how it affects speaker impedance http://www.physicsclassroom.com/class/circuits/Lesson-4/Two-Types-of-Connections

So instead of light bulbs think "speakers" and instead of batteries think "amp."

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014
Fun Shoe

Frog 1.0 posted:

Speaker cabinets aren't labeled with math problems, much less electronic engineering math problems, particularly when the target consumers are guitarists or bassists. The "parallel" on the label denotes how the speakers are wired internally. But whether it's wired as parallel or in a series, if it says 8 ohms on the cabinet, then just consider that cabinet to be a single 8 ohm load. If it has two 1/4" jacks on it, you can use one to go to the head and the other to daisy chain up to another cabinet; if that other cabinet is 8 ohms, then the total load on the amplifier is 4 ohms, since these 1/4" jacks are wired in parallel.

Frog 1.0
Jun 2, 2001

AlphaDog posted:

Traynor TC210?

I don't own one, but my friend has one hooked up to an 8 ohm amp and I've plugged my PF500 into it no worries. His buzzed a bit too, he tightened the visible screws (or bolts or whatever it has) and it stopped.

It is, I will bring it in store today and see if it does the same there. The buzzing is very present so that's why im thinking its more than just loose screws. I guess my first mistake was to not try them out before buying.

Thanks for the clarifications.

Update: Ended up going back to the store get my money back. Went to a different shop and bought a mesa boogie powerhouse instead. I'm done trying to cheap out on gears.

Frog 1.0 fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Aug 4, 2016

Frog 1.0
Jun 2, 2001

Spanish Manlove posted:

Read this and think about how it affects speaker impedance http://www.physicsclassroom.com/class/circuits/Lesson-4/Two-Types-of-Connections

So instead of light bulbs think "speakers" and instead of batteries think "amp."

I like the toolbooths analogy.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Frog 1.0 posted:

I like the toolbooths analogy.

Their section on sound waves is kinda cool to see and is how I usually teach people about them:

http://www.physicsclassroom.com/class/sound/Lesson-1/Sound-is-a-Mechanical-Wave

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

FeloniousDrunk posted:

I'm not a huge fan of "signature" basses, but the Geddy Lee is really solid.

As is the Marcus Miller, which I like even better than the Geddy

Constipated
Nov 25, 2009

Gotta make that money man its still the same now
I owned the Marcus Miller for a couple years and it was pretty awesome. Only complaints I have is that it wasn't true passive, you couldn't use the tone controls in passive mode, only volume.

Cathab
Mar 3, 2004
Does anyone have any specific exercises/tips for improving my picking technique?

I kinda hosed up, to be honest. I've played bass for a long time and played in small local bands with friends, but never really took the time to properly learn scales or good pick technique.

Now I've found myself in a band that has kinda taken off (well, compared to my other bands). We're currently tracking our record about to be released on a fairly big label, and honestly for the first time I really feel like I'm 'letting the team down' compared to the rest of my bandmates. My notes are uneven as gently caress, my pick is scraping on the strings... it's just nowhere near where I should be at this point. The only 'practice' I tend to do is at our weekly band practice, and really all I'm doing is practicing our band material - not specific 'exercises' or anything.

My only experience with a local bass tutor was... pretty poo poo. I don't want to learn how to play with my fingers, but he insisted that was the only way to play. That, combined with the fact that it was pretty expensive makes me hesitant to simply shop around for another local bass tutor, so I thought I'd turn to the internet.

Right now, I'm pretty time-poor. I don't have a lot of time up my sleeve to sit down and practice for hours on end when factoring in fulltime work, parenting and band practices/shows, so I'm really wanting to focus on improving this specific problem. Are there any really good youtube resources that someone could possibly recommend that will focus specifically on exercises to help with evening out my notes when up-and-down stroking with a pick (as there's a lot of that in my band), maybe left hand agility on the fretboard, and scales?

Seriously any help would be very appreciated at this point.

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...
Bass Fitness + metronome. Start very, very slowly, like 60BPM or less. It might seem silly to play that slow if you're in a fast band, but it's much easier to identify technique issues that way.

You're going to need to find time to practice, though.

Cathab
Mar 3, 2004

Juaguocio posted:

Bass Fitness + metronome. Start very, very slowly, like 60BPM or less. It might seem silly to play that slow if you're in a fast band, but it's much easier to identify technique issues that way.

You're going to need to find time to practice, though.

Oh I have no problem starting slow - nothing silly about it at all.

Is Bass Fitness a particular type of exercise, or a series of videos or something? Sorry for the (probably) stupid question, but thanks so much for the reply either way.

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...

Cathab posted:

Oh I have no problem starting slow - nothing silly about it at all.

Is Bass Fitness a particular type of exercise, or a series of videos or something? Sorry for the (probably) stupid question, but thanks so much for the reply either way.

It's a book of exercises. I feel like we mention it every couple pages: https://www.amazon.com/Bass-Fitness-Exercising-Handbook-Guitar/dp/0793502489

If you don't want to buy it, you can probably find some sample pages and make up your own similar exercises. They're mostly finger-twisters of the 1-2-3-4, 2-3-4-1, etc. variety.

One finger per fret, strict attention to consistent up and downstrokes, and no looking at the fretboard!

Actually now that I think about it, you'll sometimes want to look at your fingers to make sure they're not doing something stupid.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Edit: Didn't refresh page and repeated the post above, sorry.

Fierce Brosnan
Feb 16, 2010

I have seen into the future
Everyone is slightly older
The engineer will be compressing you, so any right-hand unevenness may not be as noticeable as you think

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Fierce Brosnan posted:

The engineer will be compressing you, so any right-hand unevenness may not be as noticeable as you think

While this is true, a more consistent right hand technique may allow the engineer to use a more subtle amount of compression, vs squashing the poo poo out of the signal to get it to be somewhat consistent.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
We've been doing some lower tuned songs and I ended up in that situation where I needed a low B. Decided to just toss some 5 strings on my old neck through P bass and half rear end a new nut to see how it sounds. Picked up some brass to give to my setup guy to fashion one.

It actually sounded pretty massive so will go whole hog and get it setup. I'll need to trim the low B screw to get intonation perfect, but everything else is good to go.

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Sockington posted:

We've been doing some lower tuned songs and I ended up in that situation where I needed a low B. Decided to just toss some 5 strings on my old neck through P bass and half rear end a new nut to see how it sounds. Picked up some brass to give to my setup guy to fashion one.

It actually sounded pretty massive so will go whole hog and get it setup. I'll need to trim the low B screw to get intonation perfect, but everything else is good to go.

Contrabass! :black101: that's dope.

I spent the morning bugging a buddy who just started working at GC. I brought my horn-loaded 212 to try it with some other heads (not a fan of it with Ampegs or their used Carvin, the MarkBass heads still sounded best) and I brought my custom fretless because my buddy hadn't seen it yet. A whole bunch of people liked my horn-loaded cab, and I handed out a ton of business cards to people who asked about my bass - the luthier includes business cards with every bass because so many of his customers get asked for information on the builder.

Somehow, they didn't have any Squier VM P basses, but the VM Jazz played as good as their MIM Fender so a Vintage Modified P bass is still at the top of my want-to-buy list for a bar gig bass.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

CaseFace McGee posted:

Contrabass! :black101: that's dope.

(not a fan of it with Ampegs or their used Carvin, the MarkBass heads still sounded best)

It originally had a brass nut, so dropped of two pairs of rotors for scrap and flat exchanged it for a brass bearing shell. Making a blank to give my setup guy since finding one specific to this bass would probably be hard.

Roughed the shape and now to sand smooth and to spec.

Also, my vote goes to MarkBass, but I'm biased

(Polytune > boosta grande > big bass muff > MarkBass cmd102)

Edit: leave the rest to my setup guy.

Sockington fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Aug 12, 2016

Fierce Brosnan
Feb 16, 2010

I have seen into the future
Everyone is slightly older

CaseFace McGee posted:

While this is true, a more consistent right hand technique may allow the engineer to use a more subtle amount of compression, vs squashing the poo poo out of the signal to get it to be somewhat consistent.
Absolutely. But given that Cathab has a tight deadline for improvement, I'm suggesting that it might be best to focus mainly on left-hand technique for now, since that can't be compensated for.

Pokey Araya
Jan 1, 2007

Cathab posted:

Does anyone have any specific exercises/tips for improving my picking technique?

I'll make a video of some exercises for you, what do you tune to?

Cathab
Mar 3, 2004

Pokey Araya posted:

I'll make a video of some exercises for you, what do you tune to?

Thankyou very much! Just standard tuning - EADG.

In addition to that I've taken on everyone else's advice in this thread too - thanks so much everyone.

Jonithen
Jul 23, 2008
Not sure if there is a more appropriate thread for this, but hoping to get some thoughts on current situation.

I joined up with an original project that found me while I was doing the craigslist thing looking for opportunities to play. The other guys are cool, I like the majority of their material, and I'm making good headway getting the catalog down. We are doing a free show pretty soon, and it got me thinking about what is a reasonable expectation to have in regards to getting the ball rolling for paid gigs. I don't want to be a mercenary about things, but at the same time I am going to start kicking in for rent on the rehearsal space soon and at an absolute minimum would like to have shows cover that. I'd obviously prefer pay for going out on a Friday night but I am not opposed to eating one or two to get a little experience down especially if it leads to more from this project.

My thoughts right now are to roll with it another month or two, and if we don't seem to be on track towards getting the band to start paying for itself and maybe a little extra for gear to reevaluate.

Reading back to myself, I don't feel like this is ridiculous. What do you think?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
You're probably in america so I don't know how gigs pay for starting bands there but here, that's a loving pipedream and completely unrealistic. Unless you play in a party band or something.