Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
$160k and counting for the rascal carry on bag. I wonder what the scam ratio is for Indiegogo vs Kickstarter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stringball
Mar 17, 2009

Evil Fluffy posted:

I wonder what the scam ratio is for Indiegogo vs Kickstarter.

Almost anything that uses flex funding I'm pretty sure

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

T-man posted:

That jacket doesn't say "traveler" to me it says "douche who's trying too hard," so I guess they know their market.

according to the comments it's also runs about three sizes too small and is really badly cut

E: ahaha that's 9 million well spent

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

the coolest cooler will always be my favorite kickstarter.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Skully is dead! After collecting a cool $2.5m on igg and apparently failing to deliver anything, they're closing shop ASAP. It actually seemed like a pretty reasonable product, by igg standards, but was probably mismanaged horribly. Still it's weird that none of the established helmet manufacturers wanted to pick them up for cheap, it seems inevitable that AR/HUD helmets would be a thing eventually. Maybe their tech was poo poo/non-existing, who knows.

https://news.slashdot.org/story/16/07/26/2123201/ar-helmet-startup-skully-has-crashed-and-burned

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time
The jacket and the coolest both follow the design philosophy that perfection is attained not when there is nothing more to add, but when there's literally no room left to add more stuff.

evilcat
May 16, 2009

Nirvikalpa posted:

What will the lolita community think of this?

It's deviant-art tier cringe with a terrible design being done by someone who should learn to walk before they run and who desperately needs basic anatomy classes. The 2D arm gun and the legs seeming disconnected from the torso amuse people the most, with the 'don't draw our character like this' mouth coming in next.
The dress is liked if the lolita bit was ditched, otherwise it simply annoys people for it not being lolita.
Having a lolita group in my area actually came in handy it seems.

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

wAstIng 10 bUcks ON an aVaTar iS StUpid

Saint Isaias Boner posted:

according to the comments it's also runs about three sizes too small and is really badly cut

E: ahaha that's 9 million well spent

Not only is the sizing is terrible; according to the comments, exchanges require you to send the product back, and pay for the shipment again.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

mobby_6kl posted:

Skully is dead! After collecting a cool $2.5m on igg and apparently failing to deliver anything, they're closing shop ASAP. It actually seemed like a pretty reasonable product, by igg standards, but was probably mismanaged horribly. Still it's weird that none of the established helmet manufacturers wanted to pick them up for cheap, it seems inevitable that AR/HUD helmets would be a thing eventually. Maybe their tech was poo poo/non-existing, who knows.

https://news.slashdot.org/story/16/07/26/2123201/ar-helmet-startup-skully-has-crashed-and-burned

Their tech, as described, was impossible. As dispatched, it was basically useless either as a crash helmet or a HUD. It was far too heavy, poorly and cheaply built, and relied on binocular rivalry which doesn't work for ~30% of the population and is distracting and nausea-inducing for a fair chunk more - particularly with the rear camera. It also - presumably to fill out the spec sheet - did a load of stuff onboard that could have been farmed off to a phone app (because there's literally no way people buying this wouldn't have a smartphone). This bulked out the onboard electronics and batteries which made the thing even heavier and less protective than it needed to be.

It didn't fulfill any needs that a biker has that can't be fulfilled much more cheaply and reliably with a good quality helmet, a bluetooth headset, a phone mount, and some half-decent mirrors, and none of these things are likely to snap your neck in a crash.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

evilcat posted:

It's deviant-art tier cringe with a terrible design being done by someone who should learn to walk before they run and who desperately needs basic anatomy classes. The 2D arm gun and the legs seeming disconnected from the torso amuse people the most, with the 'don't draw our character like this' mouth coming in next.
The dress is liked if the lolita bit was ditched, otherwise it simply annoys people for it not being lolita.

Lol at everything about this post.

Yeah, uhm, my, uh, friend, who is really into lolita fashion (not me, though, ha-ha), well, they, let me tell you, really hate this thing.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

evilcat posted:

dress ends near crotch line

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer

14.502 dollars.

Jerry Seinfeld
Mar 30, 2009

Yolomon Wayne posted:

14.502 dollars.

I'm imagining a group of grown-rear end men sitting down and playing this game, and I can't conjure up what that room could possibly smell like.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer

bvoid posted:

I'm imagining a group of grown-rear end men sitting down and playing this game, and I can't conjure up what that room could possibly smell like.

274 backers.
Although they probably have a special name for themselves.

Do not smell in the abyss, lest the abyss smells back.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.

Yolomon Wayne posted:

Do not smell in the abyss, lest the abyss smells back.

Which will be bad enough but at least in this case you know you can stare all you want because this abyss sure as poo poo won't make eye contact.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Morglon posted:

Which will be bad enough but at least in this case you know you can stare all you want because this abyss sure as poo poo won't make eye contact.

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

THIS TRASH WAR AIN'T GONNA SOLVE ITSELF YA KNOW

stringball posted:

Almost anything that uses flex funding I'm pretty sure

What's really depressing is that they've already more than tripled their goal with 3 weeks to go.

I know they will take the money and run, but I would love to be there when the first one rolls up to the TSA and the poor dumb sucker gets told that his $1000 suitcase ISIS wet dream won't fly.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
Is there anywhere we can find out the stats for funded kickstarters that have delivered on the product vs those that haven't?

John Denver Hoxha
May 31, 2014

What a persistent nightmare!
....but enough about my posts
I've either gotten very lucky/ have an idea how to weed out scams by sticking to safe projects or outside of the few high profile failures the success rate is actually very good. Everything I've backed either came through (with 2 months max delay, to be expected when doing a first major project) and exceeded my expectations or is on track and communicative with really cool updates showing progress and some of the process which is sorta neat as somebody who is interested in that sort of thing

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Harveygod posted:

What's really depressing is that they've already more than tripled their goal with 3 weeks to go.

I know they will take the money and run, but I would love to be there when the first one rolls up to the TSA and the poor dumb sucker gets told that his $1000 suitcase ISIS wet dream won't fly.

Imagine a horde of Daesh soldiers riding towards you on that thing before exploding, like a swarm of Starcraft 2 banelings.

Pingiivi
Mar 26, 2010

Straight into the iris!
Stop Drop and Retro made a video about the PGS portable bullshit thing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ECmCChjnK0

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

The spirit of Action Gamemaster lives on.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

OldMemes posted:

Is there anywhere we can find out the stats for funded kickstarters that have delivered on the product vs those that haven't?

I recall seeing this somewhere and it was actually surprisingly good - like maybe 80% delivered? But if you look at the actual project it kind of makes sense, since the majority are simple pre-orders, are selling rebranded chinese crap, or some idiotic wooden cubes or whatever that is easy to deliver. But it's the remaining ones that are amazing scams or run by incompetent visionaries that we love so much.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Pingiivi posted:

Stop Drop and Retro made a video about the PGS portable bullshit thing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ECmCChjnK0

I mean the hell of it is that it's totally a thing that can work, it's just that it's only good for "PC Gaming" if you only want to play mostly 5+ year old games at 1280x720 with low settings.

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

mobby_6kl posted:

I recall seeing this somewhere and it was actually surprisingly good - like maybe 80% delivered? But if you look at the actual project it kind of makes sense, since the majority are simple pre-orders, are selling rebranded chinese crap, or some idiotic wooden cubes or whatever that is easy to deliver. But it's the remaining ones that are amazing scams or run by incompetent visionaries that we love so much.

I'd be curious to see a plot of delivered/not delivered versus amount raised. Maybe a separate one between kickstarter and indiegogo.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.

mobby_6kl posted:

Yeah in my experience most do end up delivering, but it's almost always been delayed and the product often ends up being significantly less useful than promised. Going through my list of kickstarters:

Some random iphone stand/holder. Did eventually arrive, but was totally unusable and not flexible like promised. Turned me off from buying any more manufactured goods.

Reading Rainbow revival. Successful (not sure I even asked for rewards from this one), but operates on a monthly subscription model that does not seem to be in line with the original intent of allowing all children to have access to it.

Manos: hands of fate restoration. I got some of the rewards, but never actually ended up receiving the movie. Either way, significantly delayed.

Veronica Mars movie. Arrived, I liked it, no complaints.

edit: I did flexible funding once on an IndieGogo project that wasn't successful. There's $50 I'll never get back. They were sending out updates for a while, but now the funding page doesn't even exist anymore.

Xandu has a new favorite as of 16:18 on Jul 28, 2016

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
Iirc Readin Rainbow was always going with a monthly sub, but the Kickstarter allowed them to, among other things, give it away for free to poorer schools.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.

Gutcruncher posted:

Iirc Readin Rainbow was always going with a monthly sub, but the Kickstarter allowed them to, among other things, give it away for free to poorer schools.

Ah, that makes sense. It's been a few years.

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

I've personally only backed two Kickstarters. One of them is for the Chronicles of Darkness bigass book that was fully created, PDF versions sent out to backers, and is going successfully to print. The other is Bloodstained, which has been making progress well enough and had a decent demo at E3, so I'm pretty confident in that being significantly better than Mighty No. 9, at least.

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013
A lot of the stuff I back is at the $1 level for updates. I've backed quite a few comic book preorders and I don't think any of them have failed. There were two food related businesses that were looking to expand and both of those were successful. There are two documentary films that both ended up waaayyyyy off schedule, but one has been out for awhile and the other will get done eventually. Bear Simulator came out and looks pretty good ($1 backer so I can't actually see much), but from everything else I've seen and backed, video game kickstarters are really really good for drama shitfests, but that's about all the end product you should expect.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
Unfortunately, bear simulator is hot garbage.

http://www.polygon.com/2016/3/7/11172514/bear-simulator-kickstarter-update-pewdiepie

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2pOByz3e0E

Iron Prince
Aug 28, 2005
Buglord
I've received 10 out of 12 Kickstarter rewards so far. I backed the new Shantae game which is long overdue but is most definitely gonna be a real thing soon and I backed Barkley 2.

BARKLEY 2.

Iron Prince
Aug 28, 2005
Buglord
also i backed shenmue 3. WHY DID I DO THAT

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Of the seven Kickstarters I've backed I've received all the rewards from two. Of the ones that I haven't received: three are games that are still in development, one is technically still in development but I doubt it's ever coming out and the last one is Broken Age.

For Broken Age I backed at a level that gave me the game in a 90's style box with the documentary on Blu Ray and they're still yet to ship the box. No idea what I'm going to do with it if it ever arrives, I never finished act one and everything I hear about act two makes me never want to play it.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I never got that coin ring from the guy who promised to make a ring out of a coin. Everything else has delivered, but sometimes with delays.

stringball
Mar 17, 2009

Has there been literally anything that has been very on point and not even had the slightest delay really been done?

I feel like a lot should take the valve approach of "when it's done is we tell you the release date", obviously with regular updates still

Or maybe it's a thing of people wanting and expecting poo poo NOW and fully expect it do be done when they say and it puts people off if they do the valve approach

stringball has a new favorite as of 10:35 on Jul 29, 2016

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer

RandomPauI posted:

I never got that coin ring from the guy who promised to make a ring out of a coin. Everything else has delivered, but sometimes with delays.

Tiberius Thyben
Feb 7, 2013

Gone Phishing

Jesus man. You can't solve everything with impromptu trepanning.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Tiberius Thyben posted:

Jesus man. You can't solve everything with impromptu trepanning.

You seem confused. Maybe some trepanning will help you to understand?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Things I've backed

* Planetary Annihilation. Delivered. The game unfortunately suffered from feature creep and ended up fairly mediocre.

* Pro Pinball: Timeshock HD remake. On Steam Early Access now, and it's pretty good.

* Midair. Still in development. Despite being let down by both Tribes Ascend and Tribes Vengeance, I keep getting excited by games that promise to bring back the Tribes 2 experience.

* The Goon. They delivered what they promised (an animation reel to sell it to studios with) although some people misunderstood and thought they were backing a full movie. As far as I know they're still looking for a studio to take on the project.

* Fight for Space, a NASA documentary which is still in production.

I also backed goonette Becktastic's Motoventuring, which has been awesome to follow every step of the way.