Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013
I generally just use an embrasures mod instead of doing the columns thing. It's way less dumb when you think about what the building actually looks like.

Fat Samurai posted:

I've downloaded some mods from the Workshop, and activated them in the Mods menu, but they don't seem to register when I start a new game. Am I missing something?

Which mods?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Roadie posted:

I generally just use an embrasures mod instead of doing the columns thing. It's way less dumb when you think about what the building actually looks like.

Which mods?

Interface, mostly. Just got the game when it came to Steam and I don't want to mess up with the base game too much yet. Medical Tab, Animal Tab and Colony Manager, IIRC

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Fat Samurai posted:

Interface, mostly. Just got the game when it came to Steam and I don't want to mess up with the base game too much yet. Medical Tab, Animal Tab and Colony Manager, IIRC

Most interface things require a new colony. You might be able to hack it into your existing save by starting a new colony, saving it, editing the xml, finding the lines that look like they initialize the mods, copying them, and adding them to the save xml of your main colony.

I'd grab Work Tab while you're grabbing tab mods. Even if you don't use the advanced features, it expands the work priorities from 1-4 to 1-9 which is way nicer for micromanaging.

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003
So apparently there was an update today? And some sort of mod conflict seems to be crashing my game every time I try to load it. It sucks because I finally got my colonists somewhat stabilized (because my main complaining character accidentally died of heat stroke...).

I guess I need to look for a way to keep steam and mods from updating the game until I'm ready? Anyone else crashing?

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Azhais posted:

Most interface things require a new colony. You might be able to hack it into your existing save by starting a new colony, saving it, editing the xml, finding the lines that look like they initialize the mods, copying them, and adding them to the save xml of your main colony.

I'd grab Work Tab while you're grabbing tab mods. Even if you don't use the advanced features, it expands the work priorities from 1-4 to 1-9 which is way nicer for micromanaging.

I'm starting a new colony each time, it's just the game doesn't show the mods:

I assume the mods should appear below he Steam Workshop thing in the second screenshot?

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
No, if they're in the mod panel and checkboxed, as they appear to be, they'll be in game. None of those mods affect anything before you're in game.

Devdisigdu
Mar 23, 2016

The shadows lengthen
In Carcosa.

Fat Samurai posted:

I'm starting a new colony each time, it's just the game doesn't show the mods:

I assume the mods should appear below he Steam Workshop thing in the second screenshot?

That bit in the second screenshot isn't for actual mods, That is for custom scenarios, which are also on the Workshop.

As long as you've ticked the mods as you did for the first screenshot, you're good to go.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Then that's me being dumb. :)

Thanks for the help.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013
If the mods are checked but don't affect the game, try opening the mod menu, closing it, quitting the game, and launching the game again. Getting the Steam Workshop file storage to sync can be kind of temperamental sometimes.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
Work Tab and/or Relations tab are blowed up.

Prophecy120
Feb 4, 2003

God Bless the Enclave! God Bless America!

Roadie posted:

Isn't that mod way overpowered? A lot of the comments said you can shoot out of the windows but raiders can not shoot back, they just ignore you.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Prophecy120 posted:

Isn't that mod way overpowered? A lot of the comments said you can shoot out of the windows but raiders can not shoot back, they just ignore you.

They shoot back. It's mostly OP due to how trivial it is to wipe out manhunter packs and melee dudes. But otoh melee raiders are so completely overpowered against a firing line that I don't feel bad about that

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Every time I play this for a stretch I eventually just make a prefab profile with basically 7-8 space marines. Start with power armor and really good guns, 20 skill in everything, maximum augmentations. Build an absolutely stupid fort inside a mountain and then make every faction hostile, taking over and converting the wounded. Like half scientology, half borg. I have ended up with this situation every time since alpha 7 or 8.

It's that time again now.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Azhais posted:

They shoot back.

From what I understand, it's basically identical in terms of mechanics to a sandbag, except as a wall.

Azhais posted:

It's mostly OP due to how trivial it is to wipe out manhunter packs and melee dudes. But otoh melee raiders are so completely overpowered against a firing line that I don't feel bad about that

Personally, I see absolutely no problem with "guns and fortified positions are objectively better than a bunch of angry animals or guys with swords".

Like, yeah, balance, whatever, but intentionally leaving out a type of structure that's existed from literally the beginning of history just to make melee guys better is silly.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

The alternative is to have actually smart AI and not have idiots walk into your killbox/embrasures to docilely be killed, but instead you'd get sieged/tunneled all the time and melee guys would either just never bother with you or always tunnel around :shrug: So yeah they're pretty cheesy in the game's current state.

Man Musk
Jan 13, 2010

My cavemen are really horny and it's making them grouchy. Is there a smart way to level up furniture as apparently you can't sell shoddy double beds to merchants??

Also, what should I be doing once I got basic food and defense down?

Man Musk fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Jul 29, 2016

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Not every merchant buys every category of item, although yeah there might be a minimum threshold of quality/condition before they'll buy something even if it's the right type (e.g. slavers won't buy crippled prisoners). Quality of furniture is determined by Construction skill, which you can train up on poo poo that has no quality like walls or floor smoothing, or if you have a lot of wood/blocks you can build and tear down beds or stools and repeat.

Man Musk
Jan 13, 2010

Word, cheers!

Current tribe has an on-again off-again couple, which is currently the most interesting thing going on. I'll try grinding up my furniture a bit that way, and see what happens.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Tribals are doable pretty much anywhere except ice sheet, remember you can farm trees although it takes a while for them to come up.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

Is there a way to turn off permadeath for save? I just realized i'm a big baby who wants to save his cool fort.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

There might be a toggle somewhere in dev mode? :shrug:

Hocus Pocus
Sep 7, 2011

Favourite colonists die in a raid? That's okay, I'll rebuild, w/e.

Husky I've had since the beginning dies the next day? :sludgepal: *start new colony*

Hargrimm
Sep 22, 2011

W A R R E N
Isn't the save just an XML file? Could look and see if there's an obvious parameter in there. Or at least copy the file as a backup

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Sure enough, saves are in:
C:\Users\username\AppData\LocalLow\Ludeon Studios\RimWorld\Saves on windows 10

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

Thanks, I found my save and figured it out.

If anyone else was wondering it's pretty easy and just involves opening up the save and changing permadeath from true to false.

a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

WHEN WE DON'T KNOW WHO TO HATE, WE HATE OURSELVES.-SA USER NATION (AKA ME!)

Flesh Forge posted:

Sure enough, saves are in:
C:\Users\username\AppData\LocalLow\Ludeon Studios\RimWorld\Saves on windows 10

:smuggo:

a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

welp a burrow erupted in the main base and killed everyone - i was doing so well too

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

Nation posted:

welp a burrow erupted in the main base and killed everyone - i was doing so well too

my last base was doing good until i stupidly let a bunch of chickens in and they ate everything and reproduced uncontrollably, and then while I was cleaning that up a drone ship dropped right into the middle of the base and a centipede crawled out and minigunned all my good colonists to death

a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

Saint Isaias Boner posted:

my last base was doing good until i stupidly let a bunch of chickens in and they ate everything and reproduced uncontrollably, and then while I was cleaning that up a drone ship dropped right into the middle of the base and a centipede crawled out and minigunned all my good colonists to death

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
I bought a bunch of fertilized emu eggs from the tribals and now I am drowning in horrible rear end in a top hat birds. Send help.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

GenericOverusedName posted:

I bought a bunch of fertilized emu eggs from the tribals and now I am drowning in horrible rear end in a top hat birds. Send help.

Butcher the lot of them, set cooking or handling or w/e the relevant labor is to priority one.

the moose
Nov 7, 2009

Type: Electric Swing

GenericOverusedName posted:

I bought a bunch too but my loving pigs ate almost all the egg so now I only have one female emu left. I was hopeing to get a steady supply of eggs from them but they are 1 years old and still no eggs. They cant haul things either like the pigs. I also breed terrior becausr a bunch joined my colony. Now I have dozens of tinny little puppies running around.

Any one know how long i should wait beforr butchering my male pigs for porkchops?

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
I got my chicken farm up to 460 animals legitimately. Turns out they sell pretty well? Not as fancy as art, but bad art also doesn't fill your freezer once things inevitable go south.

Now a part of me wants to turn on cheats to see how long the game can handle exponential growth.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Man Musk posted:

Also, what should I be doing once I got basic food and defense down?

clasically you should be trying to build a spaceship asap to leave the planet which is the intended end of game but really, it's a sandbox do whatever

i used to like brewing as much beer as possible and getting rich as gently caress on beer sales

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Saint Isaias Boner posted:

I feel like the chickens were not the problem here

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
I had a bunch of chickens, but then I got hit with toxic fallout and couldn't produce enough hay to keep them going so I ate them all. Giant rear end in a top hat bird farm instead.

Shredder
Sep 14, 2000

Can you play this game with just a mouse? I broke my wrist so I can really only use one hand at the moment and I've been playing Civ on the couch, this looks fun.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Shredder posted:

Can you play this game with just a mouse? I broke my wrist so I can really only use one hand at the moment and I've been playing Civ on the couch, this looks fun.

Yeah, you shouldn't have any real difficulty. Keyboard makes things easier with shortcuts, and if you can bind a few of the most common functions to a thumb button it'll be smoother, but you should be able to manage just fine.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
You need minimal keyboard control, if any. Unlike Dwarf Fortress, you can control almost the entire game with just a mouse. I haven't found a situation that won't let me progress with just a mouse.
Obviously naming things needs a keyboard. But you don't need a keyboard+mouse in order to play this game like you would for a FPS

IAmTheRad fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Jul 29, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

Soothing Vapors posted:

I feel like the chickens were not the problem here

i thought the chickens were a problem but then they turned out not to be relatively speaking