Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HoboMan
Nov 4, 2010

so is like making a MyGiantTurdBuilder class acceptable in c#?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

i believe posting bots are frowned upon

HoboMan
Nov 4, 2010

i markoved you're posts

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

i have concluded that iis is unusable garbage for idiots and the only way .net web poo poo is at all usable is via azure

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

i think you can owin self-host asp.net stuff but hell if i know how.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

this is the least useful screen of poo poo ive ever seen

HoboMan
Nov 4, 2010

i wish i could help you but iis was already set up for me and i never had to mess with it

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
nhibernate is still used in a big rear end application I maintain and it's a nightmare

you create data holder objects with virtual properties that nhibernate overrides. then when you set the properties it queues up DB writes to happen at some unspecified time in the future.

simble
May 11, 2004

Bloody posted:

of all webservers available IIS is by far the easiest to configure to do anything. therefore i draw the conclusion that you are the least useful screen of poo poo that ive ever seen

literally add a site, setup a binding (port, ip, hostname if you want to do some hosts file poo poo), add it to an app pool then bring it up in the browser. point it to the root of your web app.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

yeah that's a great way to get iis error pages

simble
May 11, 2004

Bloody posted:

yeah that's a great way to get iis error pages

if you want help, be specific about the error and i can tell you whats wrong

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

alas I have already left work and will be on vacation until mid August hell yeah

HoboMan
Nov 4, 2010

hell yeah work sucks

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

i am already drinking

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Bloody posted:

alas I have already left work and will be on vacation until mid August hell yeah

same, im in tomorrow and then off till mid august

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.

Bloody posted:

This IIS story has a happy ending after all...

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.
I gave myself a 4-day weekend. I'm off tomorrow and monday. gently caress YOU WORK

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
i have been off since last Friday. getting pangs of vacation ending sadness

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
if only there were a monad that could take me back in time to before my vacation

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

are you an endofunctor

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

if only there were a monad that could take me back in time to before my vacation

https://hackage.haskell.org/package/tardis-0.4.1.0/docs/Control-Monad-Tardis.html

What is a Tardis?
A Tardis is the combination of the State monad transformer and the Reverse State monad transformer.

The State monad transformer features a forwards-traveling state. You can retrieve the current value of the state, and you can set its value, affecting any future attempts to retrieve it.

The Reverse State monad transformer is just the opposite: it features a backwards-traveling state. You can retrieve the current value of the state, and you can set its value, affecting any past attempts to retrieve it. This is a bit weirder than its forwards-traveling counterpart, so its Monad instance additionally requires that the underlying Monad it transforms must be an instance of MonadFix.

A Tardis is nothing more than mashing these two things together. A Tardis gives you two states: one which travels backwards (or upwards) through your code (referred to as bw), and one which travels forwards (or downwards) through your code (referred to as fw). You can retrieve the current value of either state, and you can set the value of either state. Setting the forwards-traveling state will affect the future, while setting the backwards-traveling state will affect the past.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Bloody posted:

are you an endofunctor

negative, I am a meat Popsicle.

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

gonadic io posted:

https://hackage.haskell.org/package/tardis-0.4.1.0/docs/Control-Monad-Tardis.html

What is a Tardis?
A Tardis is the combination of the State monad transformer and the Reverse State monad transformer.

The State monad transformer features a forwards-traveling state. You can retrieve the current value of the state, and you can set its value, affecting any future attempts to retrieve it.

The Reverse State monad transformer is just the opposite: it features a backwards-traveling state. You can retrieve the current value of the state, and you can set its value, affecting any past attempts to retrieve it. This is a bit weirder than its forwards-traveling counterpart, so its Monad instance additionally requires that the underlying Monad it transforms must be an instance of MonadFix.

A Tardis is nothing more than mashing these two things together. A Tardis gives you two states: one which travels backwards (or upwards) through your code (referred to as bw), and one which travels forwards (or downwards) through your code (referred to as fw). You can retrieve the current value of either state, and you can set the value of either state. Setting the forwards-traveling state will affect the future, while setting the backwards-traveling state will affect the past.

putting the "jackoff" back in ajax

HoboMan
Nov 4, 2010

gonadic io posted:

What is a Tardis?

lol, what?

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

simble posted:

of all webservers available IIS is by far the easiest to configure to do anything.

No, not really. Basic stuff like CORS is just not obvious at all, and IIS is completely opaque in being able to quickly see how it is configured to do anything.

AWWNAW
Dec 30, 2008

if you want to self host try going to google dot com and typing in OWIN self host then download some nugget packages and you'll be hosting HTTP from a console app. it's not that hard and there are dozens of step by step tutorials

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Bloody posted:

i have concluded that iis is unusable garbage for idiots and the only way .net web poo poo is at all usable is via azure

IIS is easy as hell. application pools are the host process for your site. you can have one or more applications in an application pool. its a way to separate processes for different applications for purposes of performance and security.

Create an application pool that's named after your application. Set the .net version to 4.0 and click ok.

Dump the files from the output into a folder. Go into iis and right click -> create application. put the path that you want it to be at on the server (ex: bonerapp would be at http://mywebzone.com/bonerapp) point the directory to wherever you dumped the files. select the app pool you built previously. and that's it.

you can also use web deploy to do this all for you from the publish menu in visual studio.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

MrMoo posted:

No, not really. Basic stuff like CORS is just not obvious at all, and IIS is completely opaque in being able to quickly see how it is configured to do anything.

cors should be controlled by the application. if its static content just stick some static custom headers in there. its like 2 seconds to figure this out on goog.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

huh. i tried basically those exact things several times with no luck. i will try again in mid-august

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Bloody posted:

all of those things are useful if you need them

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Bloody posted:

huh. i tried basically those exact things several times with no luck. i will try again in mid-august

that's weird cause ive done it a billion times and it always just works. if you're getting a generic error page that tells you to enable remote error messages to see remote error messages then do what it says and it will show you the actual error message. it could be that you deployed it wrong or you have a bad config and if that's the case the real error will tell you what it is.

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

gonadic io posted:

What is a Tardis?

I love it

Potassium Problems
Sep 28, 2001

Bloody posted:

Is this an ASP.NET Core app? If so you want your application pool set to "No Managed Code"

https://docs.asp.net/en/latest/publishing/iis.html

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
today I'm a groovy dev. rip.

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters
having run into the term 'applicative functor' a couple of times recently, i figured i'd look it up.

haskell wiki posted:

An applicative functor has more structure than a functor but less than a monad.

well, that clears it up!

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
IIS is loving garbage.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

redleader posted:

having run into the term 'applicative functor' a couple of times recently, i figured i'd look it up.

well, that clears it up!

functor has map: List<a> -> (a -> b) -> List<b>
applicative also has ap: List<a> -> List<a -> b> -> List<b> (and pure: a -> List<a>)
monad also has bind: List<a> -> (a -> List<b>) -> List<b>

(substitute List with Option or whatever your favourite data structure is)

you can turn bind into ap and map (hence anything that's a monad is also an applicative functor and a regular one)

but you can't do it the other way around

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

wait whats a list<a -> b>? is that a collection of functions?

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

uncurable mlady posted:

IIS is loving garbage.

nope. its actually the best

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AWWNAW
Dec 30, 2008

Bloody posted:

wait whats a list<a -> b>? is that a collection of functions?

yes, , functions that take an a and return a b

• Locked thread