Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Getsuya posted:

The main character in the first one was a bit like that too, with her good points basically being 1. she was really sincere about caring for the patients despite all her clumsiness and 2. she was good with kids.
that's where she'd lose me, because I'm neither of those things

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
Okay, I got an ending. Of sorts. So far this seems to be the story of a nice young lady who blunders into several very unhealthy relationships, and the game does not like it if she manages to escape from them all.

I don't mean to sound too down on it, though. I'm enjoying it, and I'm going to keep playing, but parts of it are pretty rough in a way I don't think they're meant to be.

The parts that are actually about nursing are all very serious and good, like you said. It's definitely got that going for it.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
I've gotten 5 of the endings, and yes, the parts with actual nursing school stuff are good, and actually a little informative (I learned how exactly blood pressure measurements are gotten from those armbands). But hoo boy, is the nursing school stuff not the actual focus.

That train gets derailed and spirals off into space.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
That's exciting. I haven't seen that yet. It's definitely at its best when it's basically a medical drama from the perspective of a nursing student, but if it's not going to be about that, I guess it might as well commit to really not being about that.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

FractalSandwich posted:

Okay, I got an ending. Of sorts. So far this seems to be the story of a nice young lady who blunders into several very unhealthy relationships, and the game does not like it if she manages to escape from them all.

In fairness you've just described like 70% of all otome games there

So far Itsuki seems like the most fun of all the characters and also the most likely to ruin Asuka's life, so I think I'll be going for her route first.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Ladies and gentlemen, Stay! Stay! My First (and only) Trip to North Korea has successfully been kickstarted. It's made by the veteran developers of such hits as Panzermadels, and I'm actually unironically excited for this because there's no way it isn't either purposefully hilarious or awkwardly the best thing ever.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

Thuryl posted:

So far Itsuki seems like the most fun of all the characters and also the most likely to ruin Asuka's life, so I think I'll be going for her route first.

Oh, you don't know the half of it.

Some forewarning, though: Bad endings exist.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Thuryl posted:

I had that thought, but it seemed like I was being harsh enough without slamming a whole genre while I was at it.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
Wow, you weren't kidding. This sure flew off the rails in a hurry.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
Figures that the one relationship that seemed to maybe be on the level would turn out to be the most hosed up of them all.

Did the first game also make a sudden transformation into a Shakespearean melodrama, Getsuya, and you've been masterfully hiding it from us all this whole time?

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
You guys ' vague spoilers on the nurse game are really tempting me to grab it off my Steam wish list already, because I'm curious on what messed up territory it can go to with such an innocuous art style.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

mycot posted:

You guys ' vague spoilers on the nurse game are really tempting me to grab it off my Steam wish list already, because I'm curious on what messed up territory it can go to with such an innocuous art style.

Well if you want an actual spoiler example, I can give you part of one bad ending. This game is insane, and it can get EXTREMELY messed up.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Thuryl posted:

Yes... I admit playing a ton of back to back otoge I get burned out from the extreme drama and the slow realization maybe MC is/was the happiest being single.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Ladies and gentlemen, Stay! Stay! My First (and only) Trip to North Korea has successfully been kickstarted. It's made by the veteran developers of such hits as Panzermadels, and I'm actually unironically excited for this because there's no way it isn't either purposefully hilarious or awkwardly the best thing ever.

what the gently caress :psyduck:

do the "misadventures" involve ending up in a prison camp or public execution?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Pretty sure it's the former.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013

FractalSandwich posted:

Figures that the one relationship that seemed to maybe be on the level would turn out to be the most hosed up of them all.

Did the first game also make a sudden transformation into a Shakespearean melodrama, Getsuya, and you've been masterfully hiding it from us all this whole time?

If it was there I didn't get far enough to find it (truth is I never finished a route. I played it a lot but I kept getting distracted and then starting from the beginning later. I also started translating it for a while but stopped because VN translation projects are too long). But I wouldn't doubt there is stuff like that. This is Kogado, the folks who made Symphonic Rain, also known as the game where everyone looks like Precious Moments dolls but there's a part where a girl's dad beats her and damages her throat so she can no longer talk just because she wants to sing instead of play the piano (spoilers for one of the routes but it's a crappy dumb route so no one should care). The folks at Kogado have a thing for going darkside out of nowhere.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Getsuya posted:

If it was there I didn't get far enough to find it (truth is I never finished a route. I played it a lot but I kept getting distracted and then starting from the beginning later. I also started translating it for a while but stopped because VN translation projects are too long). But I wouldn't doubt there is stuff like that.
You've discovered the best way to keep a secret: make sure you don't know it yourself.

This will be a plot point in my upcoming Nurse Love Addiction fangame.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
Well I picked it up finally so I'm going to play through with a walkthrough. I never play VNs blind because I'm just there for the story so there's no reason to not just read it straight through. The walkthrough I'm reading says to avoid any bad ends until after I've done all the good ends and that the 'school life' ending is to be avoided at all costs because it spoils every girl's route while also giving you an unsatisfying abrupt ending.

The recommended route flow is (spoiler'd in case the characters you can romance are a secret or something)
Kaede>Nao>Sakuya>Itsuki
So I'll be doing that order. Then the bad ends.

Edit: Ha. From now on I'm going to call goons 'jellyfish'.

Getsuya fucked around with this message at 12:12 on Jul 29, 2016

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
That's weird, I got the non-ending first by accident, and there weren't any spoilers in it. Maybe they patched that out?

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

Getsuya posted:

The recommended route flow is (spoiler'd in case the characters you can romance are a secret or something)

They aren't. The protag and romances are the only characters that have dialog sprites. At most, the side characters show up in the "CGs."

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

FractalSandwich posted:

That's weird, I got the non-ending first by accident, and there weren't any spoilers in it. Maybe they patched that out?

Well, or the person who wrote the walkthrough is just especially fussy about anything resembling a spoiler.

Anyway, I've played a little more and this game is in fact exactly as insane as people were saying.

I almost don't want to post this even in spoiler tags, even though it only spoils one scene involving a minor character, because it's such an incredibly goddamn deranged moment that you should all see it for yourselves. But here goes.

Pop quiz! You're a trainee nurse observing a hospital, under strict instructions not to attempt any actual nursing yet. You see a patient who's pissed herself in the hallway while trying to get to the bathroom and is severely distressed about it. Do you:

1) Stand back and let the more experienced staff handle it
2) Step in to comfort the patient
3) deliberately piss yourself in front of her, right there in the hallway, so that she'll be less embarrassed

If you answered 3, congratulations! You might be the protagonist of Nurse Love Addiction! Also, seek help.

This game is amazing. I don't know if I can say it's good, but it's amazing.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Well there went any desire to pay £30 for the nurse yuri game

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

In fairness, all the other characters react to that like you'd expect normal human beings to. But yeah. It's a thing that happens.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013

Thuryl posted:

Well, or the person who wrote the walkthrough is just especially fussy about anything resembling a spoiler.

Anyway, I've played a little more and this game is in fact exactly as insane as people were saying.

I almost don't want to post this even in spoiler tags, even though it only spoils one scene involving a minor character, because it's such an incredibly goddamn deranged moment that you should all see it for yourselves. But here goes.

Pop quiz! You're a trainee nurse observing a hospital, under strict instructions not to attempt any actual nursing yet. You see a patient who's pissed herself in the hallway while trying to get to the bathroom and is severely distressed about it. Do you:

1) Stand back and let the more experienced staff handle it
2) Step in to comfort the patient
3) deliberately piss yourself in front of her, right there in the hallway, so that she'll be less embarrassed

If you answered 3, congratulations! You might be the protagonist of Nurse Love Addiction! Also, seek help.

This game is amazing. I don't know if I can say it's good, but it's amazing.

In the first game as punishment for leaving an elderly patient with a messed diaper your teacher makes you go home, wear a messed diaper and write a report on how bad it feels
But I'd say the most bizarre thing is that the way the scene is presented makes it very much non-fetishy. The game doesn't want you to get off to it, the game wants you to realize that hey you're a nurse so you better get comfortable with body functions
... though, that said, that scene made sense while the one you're describing just seems out of the blue.

Edit: My mom, a nurse, taught me how to make my bed hospital-style when I was like 6. I can't suspend disbelief enough to think that a college-aged girl can actually screw up making a bed. They really do go out of their way to show you how much a goon the main girl is.

Getsuya fucked around with this message at 13:00 on Jul 29, 2016

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

Yes, it is very much presented as a thing that she shouldn't have done, and she gets reprimanded for it, though they do understand why she did it.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
That scene does stand out as bizarre, but what's funny is that it's the only thing like that in the game, as far as I know. The stuff I'm talking about is a completely different kind of crazy, and you don't even get a hint of it until much later.

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Not A doctor, THE Doctor!
I didn't really want to play this game before, but knowing it steals a scene straight from Billy Madison doesn't help.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Midjack posted:

Pretty sure it's the former.

Well no, because if the jokes are terrible and just don't work, it'll be awkward but great. I've not played Panzermadels yet, but from the screenshots it looks like its trying so hard to be funny, and that's why it is actually entertaining.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

chaos head is the most boring murder mystery i've ever played, and i've still got 3 chapters left

and these guys went on to make steins gate, huh? Which I've not played yet but I think is critically acclaimed.

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

It's the Final Countdown.

voltcatfish posted:

chaos head is the most boring murder mystery i've ever played, and i've still got 3 chapters left

and these guys went on to make steins gate, huh? Which I've not played yet but I think is critically acclaimed.

Steins;Gate is generally celebrated. I personally enjoyed it myself.

What's wrong with Chaos;Head so far?

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

The main character is a gross nutjob. It's extremely hard to sympathize with him when he represents the very worse of otaku culture, or hell, even the worst concept of an otaku.

The backplot feels like something I'd write in my elementary school sketchbook when it was time to play "make my own anime/cartoon"

But perhaps it can all come together in the last 3 chapters of this 10 chapter game.

Shark Tower
Dec 31, 2008
It had a really cool idea with the whole 'Whose eyes are those eyes?' schtick, but otherwise, yeah I dropped it pretty quickly on account of gross mc and not having much else to offer.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
The last chapter of C;H is incredibly bad.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

At this point I'm really just hoping for the plot to reveal Takumi is straight up a loving lunatic and the New Gen criminal, but since the game's directly insinuated this i'm going to assume it's not true

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
It's been way too long since I played and my dislike of the last chapter basically overrode any other impressions I had of the game, but from what I remember the appeal of C;H was essentially that the main character was kind of a terrible, unrelatable person, and that it was kind of fun or at least interesting seeing if you could drive him insane with the mental triggers or whatever they were called. I remember literally none of the other characters, besides I think the telepathic shorty who was funny if I remember right??

And then it got dumb, just so loving dumb. Luckily Steins;Gate is incredible but in retrospect it feels like a fluke for that company because Robotics;Notes sure as heck wasn't great either.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Nate RFB posted:

And then it got dumb, just so loving dumb. Luckily Steins;Gate is incredible but in retrospect it feels like a fluke for that company because Robotics;Notes sure as heck wasn't great either.

What's wrong with Robotics;Notes? The premise seemed to have potential. Is it just boring?

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

It is just boring. Nothing really happens and the characters are dull. It makes Chaos;Head seem amazing in comparison.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

I never understood the "the primary character of [work] isn't nice or cool, so it makes me not like the work" thing. Like, stories shouldn't be limited to Comics Code Authority rules, you know?

I enjoyed Chaos;Head in large part because the main character was such a goony twat. He just wants to rub his anime doll's panties and be The Best At This MMO You've Never Heard Of and go on 4chan, and this murder stuff for the most part is just getting in his way. He's not usually a jerk or an rear end in a top hat, he's just a half-autistic geek who eventually decides to try and stop bad stuff from happening because it's kind of cool to do that, just like one of his Japanese animes.

I also kind of love the fact that he lives in a shipping container, because it's just the kind of lovely life decision that somebody who gave no fucks would make.

I liked the last chapter quite a bit, too. There were two scenes that I felt really made the climax of the game worth it:

The part where he sees the big crowd cheering for him and praising him, and he just gives them all the middle finger and says basically "You all hated me because I was a fat unpleasant nerd before, and now I'm a fat unpleasant nerd who saved some people. The reasons you used to hate me haven't changed and never will. gently caress you all." And then goes home to live in his sweaty shipping container on a roof.

And of course, who didn't enjoy "Sorry... I only like 2-D girls."

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

John Lee posted:

I never understood the "the primary character of [work] isn't nice or cool, so it makes me not like the work" thing. Like, stories shouldn't be limited to Comics Code Authority rules, you know?

The primary character of the work is naturally the one you're gonna be spending the most time with, especially in a visual novel where you get a constant stream of their inner monologue. I don't think it's unreasonable to go "this guy is an rear end in a top hat and I don't want to spend any more hours following an unpleasant person."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

main characters don't have to be nice or cool but they do have to be in some way engaging for the reader

also nice burn on autistic people dude