Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

flatluigi posted:

I'm actually kind of surprised by how much Griffin seems to not like Saints Row in that video.

As of late the internet seems to have pulled a bizarro version of the way that it turned on GTA, with people lamenting about how Saints Row was so much better when it was darker and more serious in the earlier games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I don't think it's so much about being "darker" as Saint's Row 3 is very in your face with its humor, and its humor isn't that funny

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Saints Row 3 is still the best GTA ever, sorry

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Guy Mann posted:

As of late the internet seems to have pulled a bizarro version of the way that it turned on GTA, with people lamenting about how Saints Row was so much better when it was darker and more serious in the earlier games.

In SR2 you're up against Jamaican drug lords and a western branch of the Yakuza. In SR2 you fight luchadores and tron hacker ninjas. Yeah, the games do have a fairly different tone. The city was also incredibly bland, the side missions were garbage, the main missions focused too much on third person shooting, and the story was a mess.

I was pretty pumped for SR3 before it came out, but it ended up being very disappointing. 4 is okay, if only because superpowers are fun.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
The game really struggled to get the tone right. SR2 is really consistent with a darkly comedic tone with a casual approach to violent and often brutal acts, and the emotional beats or psychotic moments have an impact without being big swerves. There's a lot of great moments in Saints Row later on, like the West-Wing parody, the VR segment, and good character stuff like the Real ending of SR3 and Kinzie Kensington and the celeb hanger on whose name I forgot, but it's a bit all over the place, with a lot more straight parody and Whacky stuff. Don't get me wrong, I love busting wrestling moves on bystanders, but I generally prefer my comedy a bit straight-faced.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
SR3 should've been up my alley, the more absurd things get, generally the better it is for me. But the game was a chore to play, whereas I had a lot of fun playing SR2, and even though it was storywise much more of a GTA:SA clone than SR3, SR2 felt more original.

Team_q
Jul 30, 2007

Travis343 posted:

Saints Row 3 is still the best GTA ever, sorry

Nah bud, Bully is the best GTA, followed by Red Dead Redemption, sorry

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
There was a great thread on Game FAQs with recipes for making basically all the celebrities. Jason Statham was the obvious choice though.

Mikedawson
Jun 21, 2013

At first I was annoyed by Griffin calling Saint's Row 3 juvenile, but then I remembered the writing in 3 isn't that great.

I hope if decides to do 2 he uses Gentlemen of The Row to make a horrible monstrosity. I know he's not above using mods. (See Daytrader Vader and Arby's Witch Cursed Dark Souls)

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
If you aren't playing SR as co-op then I could see it losing its appeal, but with a friend the games are amazing.

I loved SR3 as an alternative to GTA which took itself so drat seriously. Especially after playing GTA4 which was such a downer the whole time it was really nice to have a game where you could actually just have fun. Wacky fart joke humour and all.

SR4 is hard to call itself the same thing. It's more like a comedy version of Prototype. Still a lot of fun, but it's definitely abandoned its genre at that point. Also the romance options are great.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

Team_q posted:

I'd flip those, actually, but yeah. RDR, then Bully, then SR2.

Mikedawson posted:

At first I was annoyed by Griffin calling Saint's Row 3 juvenile, but then I remembered the writing in 3 isn't that great.

It's a game where you can whack people in the head with a big purple dildo, and it's a sequel to a game where you got money for spraying poop on people's houses. It's never exactly been highbrow.

Asiina posted:

SR4 is hard to call itself the same thing. It's more like a comedy version of Prototype. Still a lot of fun, but it's definitely abandoned its genre at that point. Also the romance options are great.

I'm actually looking forward to Agents of Mayhem basically because they could just make SR4 again, but without the SR veneer to it.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
Griffin is just throwing shade to hide the fact that SR3 beat him to the trapped inside the VR Zone story by about 5 years.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
Gonna go out on a limb here and suggest that Griffin throwing some light mockery at this very silly and crude game does not necessarily mean he hates it.

HolePisser1982
Nov 3, 2002
It's even more epic than Borderlands. Whats not to love?

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Team_q posted:

I don't think there's rocket launchers in either of those games

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
the slingshot is better than the rocket launcher *nods head, somewhat crookedly*

Mikedawson
Jun 21, 2013

Travis343 posted:

There's a potato gun in Bully that functions like a rocket launcher.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
bully is the closest a gta style game has been to persona therefore its the best

Remf
Jun 28, 2008

REALLY NOT FEELIN UP TO IT RIGHT NOW. SORRY.

PBS Newshour posted:

bully is the closest a gta style game has been to persona therefore its the best

Saints Row 4 is all about going in to your friends personal hell dungeons and helping them overcome their insecurities and become better people.

Buckets
Apr 10, 2009

...THE CHILD...

Travis343 posted:

There's a bottle rocket launcher in Bully, a kid friendly version of hitting someone in the face with explosives!

User-Friendly
Apr 27, 2008

Is There a God? (Pt. 9)
The gameplay in Saints Row was never very fun. I could barely struggle through 4.

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.
I recently lost all of my podcast subscriptions due to a device switch, and since I didn't quite feel like rebuilding my list right away I wound up spending the last week or two listening to all of The Adventure Zone. It's actually kind of weird being caught up and going back to other shows, though that's partly because I spent a lot of that time doing semi-tedious work that was a good fit for podcast listening so I was pretty inundated for a while there. It took a little while for the McElroy dynamic and sense of humor to click with me but I've started really enjoying their Polygon stuff and I'm looking forward to digging into MBMBAM.

I laughed for like five minutes straight when Magnus ate the rock.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
"Moley on my feeners" made me laugh really drat hard, and only partially because it was said in the same tone as "DARYL, GO SEE YOUR PEEPUMS!"

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

Tattoos? On MY black quarterback?
Tangentially related to MBMBaM, but I was watching an episode of Bob's Burgers last night with a hamburger cooking contest and I swear one of the judges was Griffin. He sounded like one of Griffin's adventure zone voices and his one line in the entire show contained the word "mouthfeel." Has Griffin ever mentioned being on Bob's burgers? He was uncredited if it was actually him.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

I mean it's not like Griffin invented the word mouthfeel.

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

Tattoos? On MY black quarterback?

Ariong posted:

I mean it's not like Griffin invented the word mouthfeel.

No, but that combined with almost his exact voice made me wonder.

Holy Cheese
Dec 6, 2006

Coffee And Pie posted:

"Moley on my feeners" made me laugh really drat hard, and only partially because it was said in the same tone as "DARYL, GO SEE YOUR PEEPUMS!"

Yeah I had a good belly laugh at that bit. Wooh! I needed that. :laugh:

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Coffee And Pie posted:

The whole bit, from the first Travis slip of the tongue through to the end, was just so, so good. Might be my fav recent bit since the GBB-O Bread Boy one.

I feel like it's in bits like Feeners that their roots in West Virginia really come forward and pay out hard.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

quote:

Can you belay yourself?

Yeah, but you have to get a rib removed.

had me WHEEZING. Had to pause the episode.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

DoctorWhat posted:

had me WHEEZING. Had to pause the episode.

I had to pause and laugh at Travis' bong name. Good episode.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
Is this the first episode they've done where the big goof of the episode was just recounting a thing that they did with their kid?

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Guy Mann posted:

Is this the first episode they've done where the big goof of the episode was just recounting a thing that they did with their kid?

Well there was a lot of goofs in the episode besides that but even saying leading with an anecdote about fatherhood, not even close. The first one I remember is Glass Shark which is from right after the kid was born, so like two years ago.

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

https://twitter.com/corruptedgem/status/758476509501796353

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
NEW GRIFFIN PERFORMANCE ART/POLITICAL SATIRE SIDE PROJECT REVEALED

Ziggy Tzardust
Apr 7, 2006
New Adventure Zone is up:

http://www.maximumfun.org/adventure-zone/ep-45-eleventh-hour-chapter-five

The skeleton exchange between Travis and Justin is golden. Also, I reckon that second big prophecy isn't going to come into play in this arc. Feels like more of a wider-story thing.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

gently caress, man, this whole skeleton bit is fantastic

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Absolutely lost it at the Jock Jams saloon piano suite.

Wake_N_Bake
Dec 5, 2003

I love to argue by using all caps. I feel it helps keep people from noticing that I have little or nothing to add to any given conversation. I also

kidcoelacanth posted:

gently caress, man, this whole skeleton bit is fantastic

Did the rug bite him because it's alive?

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Wake_N_Bake posted:

Did the rug bite him because it's alive?

Justin was making jokes but the rug could have totally been a mimic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

Lumbermouth posted:

Absolutely lost it at the Jock Jams saloon piano suite.

That was really really good