Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all
It would have been better for Hearst to just let the movie play and ignore it. That wasn't his MO, apparently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Pvt.Scott posted:

It would have been better for Hearst to just let the movie play and ignore it. That wasn't his MO, apparently.

hearst was the kind of evil rich rear end in a top hat that if you made a movie of him people would assume he was a caricature

max4me
Jun 15, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

steinrokkan posted:

Orson Welles actually wanted to use Hearst's despotism against him - he asked the studio to rent circus tents and take the movie on a travelling tour of America, marketing the screenings with slogans like "showing the film they don't want you to see". He argued that people would love the air of exclusivity and scandal surrounding the movie, and would flock to see it everywhere it would turn up - thus Hearst would have provided the best possible advertising campaign imaginable. But the studio chickened out.

Unrelated to anything, but it's an interesting bit of movie history.

Maybe I am old fashioned but the last big movie that had "real" controversy, which served it well was the passion of the christ.

Everyone had to see it so they could tell their friends, family, and coworkers what their hot take was.

I kept finding it odd how a bunch of people who would never watch a scary movie or horry movie basically went and saw a snuff film.

Castor Poe
Jul 19, 2010

Jar Jar is the key to all of this.
Read My Lunches with Orson Welles, guys. It's essentially 300 pages of old, bitter Orson Welles masterfully 'reking' the poo poo out of everyone who ever worked in Hollywood.

Tricky D
Apr 1, 2005

I love um!
We need a shot for shot remake of "Network" so we can watch people nowadays mistake it for a documentary.

Simstim
Mar 16, 2005

You just gave me a great idea buddy.

Tricky D posted:

We need a shot for shot remake of "Network" so we can watch people nowadays mistake it for a documentary.

Talk Radio is prophetic for the internet

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aHGExNJ6VEw

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

when you hear the outtakes from those frozen pea commercials orson welles narrated, you'll never look at him in any other way. and yes that's the basis for the "Rosebud Frozen Peas" joke in The Critic

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V14PfDDwxlE

ConstantDelays
Jan 1, 2013

The MSJ posted:

Also I'm pretty sure many people in CD like Lights Out.
Sounds poo poo :colbert:

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time
Basically all I remember of the critic is "it stinks" and "country goodness and green pea-ness."

je1 healthcare
Sep 29, 2015

Y-Hat posted:

when you hear the outtakes from those frozen pea commercials orson welles narrated, you'll never look at him in any other way. and yes that's the basis for the "Rosebud Frozen Peas" joke in The Critic

eaaAAUUUGHHh the french.....champagne

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

max4me posted:

Maybe I am old fashioned but the last big movie that had "real" controversy, which served it well was the passion of the christ.

Everyone had to see it so they could tell their friends, family, and coworkers what their hot take was.

I kept finding it odd how a bunch of people who would never watch a scary movie or horry movie basically went and saw a snuff film.

Studios are trying to figure out how to leverage social media buzz into actual profit. Sony tried to and successfully generated it for The Interview and Ghostbusters, even if they failed to actually make cash. So it makes sense people are trying to do poo poo like remake The Rocketer (which was legit a subpar film, I don't get the nostalgia over it) with a woke female PoC lead, because eventually it trending on twitter and making cash is going to crossover, but we still haven't reached that point yet

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Oh gently caress they're remaking the Blair witch project

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
The only good thing is it's being done by someone who is fresh on the scene and made two extraordinary films beforehand. It MIGHT not be trash... But I haven't seen the trailers yet.

lol look at me making judgements about a film I haven't seen yet based on the directors track record.

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana
Nov 25, 2013

Volume posted:

Oh gently caress they're remaking the Blair witch project

I thought it was a sequel? dialogue in the trailer suggests maybe it's Heather or Josh's friends/family?

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
It's her younger brother looking for her now, after 15 years. I believe.

Chrpno
Apr 17, 2006

Y-Hat posted:

Crumb crisp coating.... ugh that's tough.

Ork of Fiction
Jul 22, 2013
I feel like people are glossing over the fact that Ben Affleck is doing the original Good Will Hunting screenplay and calling it The Accountant.

That's hilarious to me.

They wrote this screenplay about a special supergenius from a middle class background who gets discovered by the government and the government's like "man! this guys smart as gently caress! i know! let's give him guns to shoot ppl w/!!!" That screenplay got trashed and rewritten, and they've been both trying to get a lick of it w/ action poo poo and spy thrillers like Borne but they've finally got their loving baby made now. Good Will Hunting, Original Recipe is on the menu mother fuckers.

Chrpno
Apr 17, 2006

Ork of Fiction posted:

I feel like people are glossing over the fact that Ben Affleck is doing the original Good Will Hunting screenplay

Will it still be a movie about people coming to terms with things?

scuba school sucks
Aug 30, 2012

The brilliance of my posting illuminates the forums like a jar of shining gold when all around is dark
I don't like those apples Will.

skeevy achievements
Feb 25, 2008

by merry exmarx
you just know as we speak that kanye or jayz or one of those clowns is trying hard to star in a remake of the godfather

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

Ork of Fiction posted:

I feel like people are glossing over the fact that Ben Affleck is doing the original Good Will Hunting screenplay and calling it The Accountant.

That's hilarious to me.

They wrote this screenplay about a special supergenius from a middle class background who gets discovered by the government and the government's like "man! this guys smart as gently caress! i know! let's give him guns to shoot ppl w/!!!" That screenplay got trashed and rewritten, and they've been both trying to get a lick of it w/ action poo poo and spy thrillers like Borne but they've finally got their loving baby made now. Good Will Hunting, Original Recipe is on the menu mother fuckers.

They need to do a crossover with Borne and bring us another Affleck/Damon buddy movie.

Tricky D
Apr 1, 2005

I love um!

Internaut! posted:

you just know as we speak that kanye or jayz or one of those clowns is trying hard to star in a remake of the godfather

Kanye as Michael, Kim as Kay, and Taylor Swift as Barzini

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

NutritiousSnack posted:

The Rocketer (which was legit a subpar film, I don't get the nostalgia over it)

I'm convinced it's because the Rocketeer costume is pretty cool.

GRANNYS PEACH TEA posted:

I don't like those apples Will.

I think you mean "Wolf" :smug: (seriously, that's his name lol)

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

here we go again!

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/disney-bringing-back-the-rocketeer-with-black-female-lead/

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Black is the new white

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

I predict this won't be a big deal outside of the usual left/right fringe groups because who the gently caress cares about The Rocketeer?

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

Mordja posted:

I predict this won't be a big deal outside of the usual left/right fringe groups because who the gently caress cares about The Rocketeer?

this. plus disney is far more competent than sony

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Germstore posted:

this. plus disney is far more competent than sony

yeah they made it a sequel and also dont seem eager to piss all over the original for no reason

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

so is this the new trend, like whenever food chains advertise some new thing like "We have avacados now! We all got em!"

Tricky D
Apr 1, 2005

I love um!
Disney is going to remake their entire catalog in the next ten or so years. Expect a CG version of Fantasia, a live action Little Mermaid, and Mary Poppins starring a Mickey Mouse Club alumnus chosen at random.

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

Tricky D posted:

Disney is going to remake their entire catalog in the next ten or so years. Expect a CG version of Fantasia, a live action Little Mermaid, and Mary Poppins starring a Mickey Mouse Club alumnus chosen at random.

they're making a new Mary poppins with Emily blunt I think

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

As I expected, "Mary Poppins - Practically Perfect in Every Way, but Bigger Tits Wouldn't Go Amiss," cheeky!

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Celluloid Sam posted:

they're making a new Mary poppins with Emily blunt I think
they need to get an american actor who speaks in a godawful cockney accent like Dick Van Dyke did 50 years ago

Missingnoleader
Mar 10, 2014

Tricky D posted:

Wasn't that Fantasia 2000?

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Y-Hat posted:

they need to get an american actor who speaks in a godawful cockney accent like Dick Van Dyke did 50 years ago
Screw that, this time they'll cast an actual dyke!

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

max4me posted:

pretty much. that was the last movie with any "real" controversy surrounding it.

most of it now are just run of the mill "think-piece" poo poo.

hmm. might be interesting/cool. id have to see who they pick first. if its loving jones, i am out. if they can hit the weird corny tone and get a good actress. i am in.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Mange Mite posted:

yeah they made it a sequel and also dont seem eager to piss all over the original for no reason
If it's a sequel it's fine. My main gripe would be if it was a full remake because the forties was the era where while we fought a war we had several race riots.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Crowsbeak posted:

If it's a sequel it's fine. My main gripe would be if it was a full remake because the forties was the era where while we fought a war we had several race riots.

this. its a sequel. it takes place during the cold war or something. maybe she uses the jet pack to kill charlie in vietnam.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Missingnoleader posted:

Wasn't that Fantasia 2000?

Walt Disney's original plan for Fantasia was to rerelease it every and now and then with new sequences and music.

Another one would be nice. :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Dapper_Swindler posted:

this. its a sequel. it takes place during the cold war or something. maybe she uses the jet pack to kill charlie in vietnam.

They should just pay a chunk of money to dark horse and the writer and incorporate this into the mcu.

• Locked thread