Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Emong
May 31, 2011

perpair to be annihilated

Baiard posted:

Hey that's rad, definitely trying that out now.

Speedball posted:

Sweet. As soon as Shen's Last Gift unlocks for Macs I'm installing that.

Vib Rib posted:

Holy gently caress this is inredible. I want to field a whole team of nothing but punchbots now.
"Bladestorm, but with your fists".

Thanks! I just realized I ballsed up their stat growth, so they're going to be excessively fragile at low ranks until I get home and can fix it.

e: actually maybe not? If someone could confirm that'd be nice. I can't check right now.

Emong fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Jul 28, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PatRichCapone
Sep 24, 2003

*scoffs* *meows*
From last page but

Umbreon posted:

Are there any good beginners guides for xcom2? This game is amazing but I'm new to the xcom series and veteran mode is making GBS threads on me hard. I know there are many things I can probably do to help, I just don't know what.

Play through a campaign on rookie. The early game is much more difficult than mid or late; stick to high cover, bring another grenadier, use all the grenades you bring to tactical, and step the difficulty up once you feel ready to get poo poo on hard again.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
Bring a lot of grenades. Removing enemy cover is pretty much the only reliable way to get low ranking troops to kill ayys early game, and you can remove a lot of it.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Seriously, grenades are key to surviving the early game. 3 guaranteed damage + cover removal is insanely strong, and once you get alien grenades they continue to remain relevant all the way through to the end of the game. For similar reasons Grenadiers are probably the most valuable class, and you always want to have at least 2 (unless you have some specific strategy in mind for the mission type).

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer

quiggy posted:

Seriously, grenades are key to surviving the early game. 3 guaranteed damage + cover removal is insanely strong, and once you get alien grenades they continue to remain relevant all the way through to the end of the game. For similar reasons Grenadiers are probably the most valuable class, and you always want to have at least 2 (unless you have some specific strategy in mind for the mission type).

Or if you have a troop with an EXO / WAR suit.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Don't KILL enemies with grenades, though, as that will destroy any loot they may be holding.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Ornamented Death posted:

Don't KILL enemies with grenades, though, as that will destroy any loot they may be holding.

Unless you already picked some up (only one loot drop per mission), in which case blow them away.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Canuck-Errant posted:

Or if you have a troop with an EXO / WAR suit.

EXO/WAR/RAGE suits are all well and good, but I always kind of forget they exist because with so much to build they tend to end up getting left behind my campaigns.

Ornamented Death posted:

You may want to exercise restraint etc etc

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

RBA Starblade posted:

Unless you already picked some up (only one loot drop per mission), in which case blow them away.

Yeah, I've had a few missions where the loot's already dropped that I just nuke the last 1-2 squads form orbit.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Jesus, Operation Last Gift is just a horrible goddamn level.

Emong
May 31, 2011

perpair to be annihilated

Emong posted:

e: actually maybe not? If someone could confirm that'd be nice. I can't check right now.

Turns out I was just being paranoid. There's no problem with their stat growth at all. Dunno what I thought was going on.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Snek King was manageable for me as well, and I fought off the Berserker Queen but she left my squad in a sorry state and then I had a ufo defense which turned out to be impossible. Now I'm on my second try and haven't done the nest yet and I'm at endgame tech, so we'll see how she likes that!

Spiritus Nox posted:

Jesus, Operation Last Gift is just a horrible goddamn level.

Eh it's not that bad and really you should only play it the one time, I assume it's like the nest in that you can turn off the mission but still get the content?

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Dogen posted:

Snek King was manageable for me as well, and I fought off the Berserker Queen but she left my squad in a sorry state and then I had a ufo defense which turned out to be impossible. Now I'm on my second try and haven't done the nest yet and I'm at endgame tech, so we'll see how she likes that!

Eh it's not that bad and really you should only play it the one time, I assume it's like the nest in that you can turn off the mission but still get the content?

Yup. You just build Sparks from the Proving Grounds afterwards. Instead of getting a free one from a mission, you get a free project (only costs time) in your proving ground to build one.

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

I don't know if this has been discovered before, but it's possible to throw/fire a grenade to anywhere the game can figure out a path to- including places that are far, far out of range. Place your cursor where you want the grenade to land, and press the button corresponding to the grenade. If it's a valid placement for the IRG (Infinite Range Grenade), the AoE preview will flicker there. Cancel the grenade, queue it back up, and on the frame on which the flicker happens, confirm the grenade. It will land there, and cause damage correctly. The firing/throwing animation will break as well.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Dogen posted:

It wouldn't be so bad if you couldn't access it like 3 missions in. It'd still be pretty bad, though - the extreme length of the level, the infinite enemies, and the big dumb boss fight all work against what I actually like about XCom.

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Spiritus Nox posted:

It wouldn't be so bad if you couldn't access it like 3 missions in. It'd still be pretty bad, though - the extreme length of the level, the infinite enemies, and the big dumb boss fight all work against what I actually like about XCom.
As an optional mission I think it's a fun challenge. There's no reason to do it right away if you'd rather wait for a larger squad and better tech. I am glad you can turn it off though, it's not something I'd want to bother with every playthrough.

e: although the first time I through it bugged out and ruined a very successful ironman game, so nvm boooo mission boooo

misguided rage fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Jul 29, 2016

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Spiritus Nox posted:

I do like on a technical level how they actually managed to fit in 3 maps into one XCOM 2 map. Even if it does get a bit buggy after a while.

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008
Eh, I thought the tower was okay. Endurance missions are a very different beast, but they can be a fun change of pace from time to time. Forces you to rethink a lot about your strategy - Baby Shen has medical protocol on her gremlin, and it can actually be fairly useful on that mission (as opposed to the almost complete redundancy it is everywhere else). The length of the level also basically guarantees that everyone who participates in it will level up.

The complete lack of loot aside from the Spark kinda sucks though. I mean I know they're not going to give you like 30 turret or MEC corpses, and especially not a sectopod corpse, but a little bit of intel, supplies, or weapon mods would not be out of line.

ptroll
Sep 8, 2011

I honestly think Firaxis' strategy with the XCOM2 DLC has just been to make stuff for modmakers that'd be really difficult to figure out without official support or examples. So rulers have things that mess with the turn timing and alternate spawn rules, and the tower is a template for custom multistage missions.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

Backhand posted:

The complete lack of loot aside from the Spark kinda sucks though. I mean I know they're not going to give you like 30 turret or MEC corpses, and especially not a sectopod corpse, but a little bit of intel, supplies, or weapon mods would not be out of line.

The first elevator has a hack loot, but I think it's a small supply or small Intel.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Could probably use some 'more colors' mods but I'm pretty pleased with how this turned out:

Afraid of Audio
Oct 12, 2012

by exmarx

Bloody Pom posted:

Could probably use some 'more colors' mods but I'm pretty pleased with how this turned out:

i did literally the same thing

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Bloody Pom posted:

A pity there isn't a beefy-as-hell option for women.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

My Soldier 76 and Pharah came out looking somewhat less perfect, I had to make compromises. The stun lancer helmet makes a good enough substitute for Pharah's, I think.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Dogen posted:

The first elevator has a hack loot, but I think it's a small supply or small Intel.

I just did it and I think it was "small supply" or "large intel", but yeah. 1 or 2 alloys or supplies per rusty MEC killed wouldn't go amiss though.

Then again I think the reward for that mission is supposed to be getting SPARK-001 for free without even having to wait on the Proving Ground project. Though taking it around the time you get the Proving Ground up and running seems about the right difficulty level. 5 soldiers, mag weapons, and AP Ammo from the very first proving ground project meant I almost flawlessed it simply because I was chewing through enemies too fast.

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one

Alkydere posted:

I just did it and I think it was "small supply" or "large intel", but yeah. 1 or 2 alloys or supplies per rusty MEC killed wouldn't go amiss though.

Then again I think the reward for that mission is supposed to be getting SPARK-001 for free without even having to wait on the Proving Ground project. Though taking it around the time you get the Proving Ground up and running seems about the right difficulty level. 5 soldiers, mag weapons, and AP Ammo from the very first proving ground project meant I almost flawlessed it simply because I was chewing through enemies too fast.

Is the DLC even any good? I looked at it once and was underwhelmed by the descriptions. EW was a proper XCOM expansion and I like seeing games with full expansions because so many games have gone the way of half-assed DLC these days.

EW added a lot and changed enough that the campaign felt fresh even if the ultimate plot progression was identical. If all I got was 2 new council missions with Annette / Zhang and a new MEC class I'd be pretty disappointed.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Sanctum posted:

Is the DLC even any good? I looked at it once and was underwhelmed by the descriptions. EW was a proper XCOM expansion and I like seeing games with full expansions because so many games have gone the way of half-assed DLC these days.

EW added a lot and changed enough that the campaign felt fresh even if the ultimate plot progression was identical. If all I got was 2 new council missions with Annette / Zhang and a new MEC class I'd be pretty disappointed.

Enemy Within probably amounts to a larger change than Xcom 2's DLC, if only because of the addition of EXALT. Still, MECs and Alien Rulers are hella cool nonetheless.

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
Gah nobody remembers Slingshot.

Parenthesis
Jan 3, 2013

dyzzy posted:

Gah nobody remembers Slingshot.

To be fair, it was minor and pretty forgettable. It is far overshadowed by Enemy Within.

However, I do remember that someone in the old Enemy Unknown hated it because he felt Zhang was the antithesis of the XCOM experience (a fixed character in a game of custom characters shaped by you and semi-random stat rolls).

Given the complaints both Last Gift and Alien Hunters have gotten, I wonder what a good DLC (not expansion) for a XCOM game should contain.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

Parenthesis posted:

Given the complaints both Last Gift and Alien Hunters have gotten, I wonder what a good DLC (not expansion) for a XCOM game should contain.

I like both the DLC but they pretty much clash with the base game in every way possible, and generally not in a nicely contrasting way. A more discreet way would have maybe been received better, e.g. if you gained access to SPARK's by killing a new type of enemy MEC in the wild, instead of doing a big set piece mission that's running thin by the time you finish it the first time. The amount of effort put in to the set piece mission could have been used to give the sparks more weapon types or a second class. Throw in one or two more new enemy types and you've got a good sized DLC that slots in nicely with existing content.

I would say the Firaxis subsidized Long War mods are closer to DLC content you would expect, while the official DLC seems like they gave a weirdo modder a lot of resources to craft something interesting. They came back with something interesting, but suddenly you're playing Monster Hunter: Enemy Unknown, and there's snakes without tits.

Andre Banzai
Jan 2, 2012

Parenthesis posted:

I for one would love just basic stuff: more aliens, more tech to research, more mission types. Alien Rulers is too disruptive to count as "more aliens" and I still think XCOM:EW's MEC class is cooler than Spark. Long War Studios is working on an alien pack (with 10 new enemies) and I'm so excited for it, they are doing a terrific job with their mods.

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008

Count Uvula posted:

snakes without tits.

Truly blasphemous.

But yeah, the Monster Hunter vibes feel really, really out of place with the rest of the game's aesthetics. Particularly the armorcrafting 'wearing the skin of your dead enemy' bit. That poo poo's just silly, and not in the fun way.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Recoloring the alien ruler armors make them look a lot less dumb. I changed the viper armor to a green and took off the helmet and the berserker one to a dark blue and dark orange (think Cyborg Ninja) and it looked much better.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

RBA Starblade posted:

Recoloring the alien ruler armors make them look a lot less dumb. I changed the viper armor to a green and took off the helmet and the berserker one to a dark blue and dark orange (think Cyborg Ninja) and it looked much better.

Yeah, Snakedick's skin doesn't look as silly when you've recoloured it, plus apparently you can wear it without the headpiece. I went red and black and paired it with a skull bandana. Like so.

I felt it only appropriate to give it to the character I'd styled as Stephanie "Crochunter" Irwin

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

After playing through XCOM2 when it first came out I let it lie until the DLC'd all been released. Now I want to play again but the second post in the thread that says it's reserved for mod recommendations doesn't contain any mod recommendations. What all are mods that improve the basic game experience and let me play barbie with my soldiers for hours?

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
Coolguye's laziness is legendary.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

pun pundit posted:

After playing through XCOM2 when it first came out I let it lie until the DLC'd all been released. Now I want to play again but the second post in the thread that says it's reserved for mod recommendations doesn't contain any mod recommendations. What all are mods that improve the basic game experience and let me play barbie with my soldiers for hours?

Gotcha Flank Preview
Bigger Spark Punches
In Game Clock
EU Aim Rolls
Maps
More Maps
Even More Maps
Evac All
True Retroactive AWC
Show Health Values

That should be a good list of QoL stuff that doesn't really change balance.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
The quiet Bradford ones too, God

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Backhand posted:

Truly blasphemous.

But yeah, the Monster Hunter vibes feel really, really out of place with the rest of the game's aesthetics. Particularly the armorcrafting 'wearing the skin of your dead enemy' bit. That poo poo's just silly, and not in the fun way.

That raises an old gruff of mine: XCOM2 feels a lot less like XCOM than EU/EW, and one thing that bothered me about them both is the over-emphasis on 100% shots. 80% is drat good odds when you can just take a 2nd shot, but upping things to discrete actions turns the game more into a puzzle than a tac-sim, imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

pun pundit posted:

The best mods come from SynthOrange: Fancy Dress Party, The Batmod, and Super Awesome Skyranger.
I also like Capnbubs Accessories Pack.