Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Thanks Ants posted:

2016 has some really nice features roadmapped in terms of storage and file serving, definitely worth labbing the tech preview to see if any of them are something you'd want to wait for.

I have a week long training class for 2016 in August, so I'm really looking forward to that. Today we don't even have shadow copies, so we're a little behind the curve. This was our first Windows file server after moving off Novell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

When using DFS to duplicate a share in two places, who does the heavy lifting? Clients? The server hosting the DFS zone?

Phrased another way: I drop goatse.pdf onto shares.somethingawful.com. Shares.somethingawful.com is really just a DFS entity that points to CIFS shares on storage1.somethingawful.com and storage2.somethingawful.com.

What happens then? Does my laptop think it is uploading goatse.pdf to shares.somethingawful.com when in reality shares.somethingawful.com is relaying it to storage1 and storage2? Or is my laptop the one being told to upload directly to storage1 and storage2? Or something else?

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

More the second. Look up the difference between DFS-N and DFS-R and that should clear things up a bit.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Looks like Microsoft is going to cripple the pro SKU. Heads up:

http://www.ghacks.net/2016/07/28/microsoft-removes-policies-windows-10-pro/

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

incoherent posted:

Wasn't management of these features going to be enterprise in the long term anyway?

Internet Explorer posted:

More the second. Look up the difference between DFS-N and DFS-R and that should clear things up a bit.

DIdn't say this a few days ago, but thanks for sending me in the right direction.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

My pleasure. Even if people aren't using DFS-R, they should be using DFS-N for all shares, in my opinion.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

incoherent posted:

Cripple = disabling 3 GPOs

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Jeoh posted:

Cripple = disabling 3 GPOs

I can still push out registry keys for them though, right?

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Zero VGS posted:

I can still push out registry keys for them though, right?
According to that article, you can, but they won't do anything.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Looks like Powershell is going open source?

https://twitter.com/tomhounsell/status/758313989487091712

http://www.winbeta.org/news/microsoft-appears-open-sourcing-powershell

Gerdalti
May 24, 2003

SPOON!
I just rolled out DFS-N at my office, and it's being less than awesome.

I'm using a Domain based namespace \\domain.com\Drives. I have a handfull of folders underneath this that are then mapped to drives through GPO.

This is working pretty OK at the office. But we're having some problems with VPN. I suspect this is due to the split tunneling on VPN trying to look up \\domain.com via regular DNS instead of our internal DNS. Sadly my domain is domain.com and not domain.local though.

Instead of using \\domain.com\Drives, I've moved over to the netbios name of \\domain\Drives. This seems to have helped some, but it's still pretty spotty.

What am I doing wrong here? What can I do to make this a little smoother?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Gerdalti posted:

What can I do to make this a little smoother?

Fix your DNS would be where I'd start. Or make sure your remote sites lookup every DNS request through your domain controllers at least, although this will stop the Internet working when the VPN is down.

Gerdalti
May 24, 2003

SPOON!

Thanks Ants posted:

Fix your DNS would be where I'd start. Or make sure your remote sites lookup every DNS request through your domain controllers at least, although this will stop the Internet working when the VPN is down.

Sorry, I wasn't totally clear. These are client laptops / client vpn, not remote sites per se. Our remote sites are working just fine, as well as any computer on our LAN. DNS seems to be configured fine.

It's really just DFS-N as well. Getting to a servername share directly works fine at the same moment that the domain based dfs-n fails.

What should I be looking at DNS wise? Am I going to have to turn off split tunneling completely? No internet while VPN is down on client machines is going to be an absolute no-go, so I can't go that route.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Can you push your own DNS servers down with the VPN profile and force lookups to go through it?

Gerdalti
May 24, 2003

SPOON!

Thanks Ants posted:

Can you push your own DNS servers down with the VPN profile and force lookups to go through it?

We do that actually. We have 2 VPN clients in use.

VPN1 - Endpoint handles DHCP itself, and sets the DNS server to our internal DNS Servers
VPN2 - Passes DHCP to our local DHCP server, which also sets the DNS server to our internal DNS Servers

In most of the cases I've seen (was just working on yet another about 30 seconds ago), the DFS-N shares will eventually load. It just takes 3-5 minutes of VPN connectivity before they're working. Any direct server shares working within 10 seconds of VPN connectivity.

buffbus
Nov 19, 2012

Gerdalti posted:

I just rolled out DFS-N at my office, and it's being less than awesome.

I'm using a Domain based namespace \\domain.com\Drives. I have a handfull of folders underneath this that are then mapped to drives through GPO.

This is working pretty OK at the office. But we're having some problems with VPN. I suspect this is due to the split tunneling on VPN trying to look up \\domain.com via regular DNS instead of our internal DNS. Sadly my domain is domain.com and not domain.local though.

Instead of using \\domain.com\Drives, I've moved over to the netbios name of \\domain\Drives. This seems to have helped some, but it's still pretty spotty.

What am I doing wrong here? What can I do to make this a little smoother?

Is the AD domain name a subdomain like corp.company.com or at least a publicly reserved but not used variation of your company name? If the internal domain is the exact same name as a different public service and you are relying on split-brain dns zones to make it work, you are going to have a bad time with a lot of things which includes remote access to company resources over a tunnel. Cloud services will suck too once you get to that point. Clients and even most servers like to cache those resolutions.

Gerdalti
May 24, 2003

SPOON!

buffbus posted:

Is the AD domain name a subdomain like corp.company.com or at least a publicly reserved but not used variation of your company name? If the internal domain is the exact same name as a different public service and you are relying on split-brain dns zones to make it work, you are going to have a bad time with a lot of things which includes remote access to company resources over a tunnel. Cloud services will suck too once you get to that point. Clients and even most servers like to cache those resolutions.

Oh yeah, we're company.com as the internal domain (this was setup before I was here, and we're pretty stuck with it at the moment). It's not great, but it's been OK for the past 6 years or so. I've managed to keep it working with Office 365 and our AWS stuff as well, so far the only "catch" we've really had is that you can't go to http://company.com internally, but actually have to use the http://www.company.com url instead. It's not how I would have set it up, but it's how it is.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

How big is your domain? A rename isn't horrific on modern versions of Windows Server.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Gerdalti posted:

Oh yeah, we're company.com as the internal domain (this was setup before I was here, and we're pretty stuck with it at the moment). It's not great, but it's been OK for the past 6 years or so. I've managed to keep it working with Office 365 and our AWS stuff as well, so far the only "catch" we've really had is that you can't go to http://company.com internally, but actually have to use the http://www.company.com url instead. It's not how I would have set it up, but it's how it is.

Can you not use cname records in this case?

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

Thanks Ants posted:

How big is your domain? A rename isn't horrific on modern versions of Windows Server.

We have a .local.

It was the recommendation at the time it was created. :negative:

Gerdalti
May 24, 2003

SPOON!

Thanks Ants posted:

We're not huge, around 25 servers, about 150 users. I honestly haven't looked into it much. My biggest concern is login credentials changing, my staff range mostly from "I put my laptop in the tub and it no longer turns on, fix it" to "I'm pretty scared of computers, please help". Having to change login info on their computers, Outlook, Skype for Business, and their phones would be a disaster.

Plus, of course, our custom web apps...

buffbus
Nov 19, 2012

devmd01 posted:

We have a .local.

It was the recommendation at the time it was created. :negative:

Company.local isn't too bad, though it's not best practice. Where you get hosed with mDNS is simply naming the domain "local".

orange sky
May 7, 2007

buffbus posted:

Company.local isn't too bad, though it's not best practice. Where you get hosed with mDNS is simply naming the domain "local".

Enterprise Windows Q&A Megathread - A subdomain named local.local.local

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

seriously where the fuck did this genre come from

orange sky posted:

Enterprise Windows Q&A Megathread - A subdomain named local.local.local

Enterprise Windows Q&A Megathread - I named my domain and DC local.local

Eggnogium
Jun 1, 2010

Never give an inch! Hnnnghhhhhh!
Hope this is the right thread for this, if not let me know.

I manage a Jenkins instance and currently our windows agents run as a service. This is an issue now because there are some new tests which need to call D3D APIs which don't work in a Session 0 process. So from what I gather I need to run the agent as a logged-in user, specifically a domain user because we also interact with a network share.

What's the right, secure way to go about this? A scheduled task seems like the right thing, but I want the agent process to start up automatically after reboots, which seems like I need to enable auto-logon. But all the methods I can find for that involve either storing the password in plain-text in the registry (blegh) or enabling auto-logon for all users (also blegh). Basically I want the machine to auto-logon as a user, but everyone else should have to enter a password, including someone trying to RD as the logged in user.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

buffbus posted:

Yeah this is likely going to be the first answer to your problem, you could have layered issues, but this is the first thing to do.

We just went through this recently for our own domain, we have roughly the same amount of users/servers you do, it was not too terrible.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Moment of silence for the admins who neglected to turn on CBB.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
gently caress, I knew I forgot something.

Oh well gently caress it, the only people on W10 are IT.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

incoherent posted:

Moment of silence for the admins who neglected to turn on CBB.

I miss something? Been on vacation for a couple weeks.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

skipdogg posted:

I miss something? Been on vacation for a couple weeks.

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2016/08/windows-10-one-year-later-the-anniversary-update/

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Volume Licensing Center has the new Windows 10 build (1607) available to download.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Can someone help out the ones that doesn't want to read 10 pages of that crap to find useful info.

(like me)

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Sickening posted:

Can someone help out the ones that doesn't want to read 10 pages of that crap to find useful info.

(like me)

What do you want to know exactly?

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

CLAM DOWN posted:

What do you want to know exactly?

What the gently caress is CCB for starters and what about this update is actually useful?

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Sickening posted:

(like me)
Earlier versions may have been "rough", but Microsoft is always getting better and this time they got it right, and it's the best version of Windows ever.

Now you don't need to read any more Windows articles from Ars.

Sickening posted:

What the gently caress is CCB for starters and what about this update is actually useful?
CBB is Current Branch for Business, it's a slower release schedule, but not as slow as the LTSB, or Long-Term Servicing Branch. I think you need to have enterprise licenses for them, though.

anthonypants fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Aug 1, 2016

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

LTSB = Enterprise only

CBB = Pro and higher

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Sickening posted:

This explains the different versions pretty well

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/itpro/windows/manage/introduction-to-windows-10-servicing

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Stick to Enterprise LSTB unless you want fun idiocy like the built-in CandyCrush app breaking Sysprep.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Probably bad advice right above me. Don't use LTSB for standard desktops.