Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I really liked the buttons on the 2DS. They felt good to press.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
Seems like they got a lot of little things right with the 2DS.

Nintendo is such a weird company.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Waltzing Along posted:

Never buy old tech. Always buy new tech unless it is cost prohibitive. Like don't buy a $1000 video card.

Also, if you can't afford $100 don't buy video games.

Yo uh not that I need it or anything but can you spot me $100? PM me for my PayPal

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Help Im Alive posted:

What's the flaw with the N3DSXL

The C-stick, which is also the flaw with the N3DS.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Lemon-Lime posted:

The C-stick, which is also the flaw with the N3DS.

The C-stick is fine once you discover its arcane secret. Don't try to push it in a direction like it's a control stick. Instead, press down on the side you want it to go to. So like, if you want to rotate the camera to your right, press down on the right side of the c-nub.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
It's still horrible, and really should have just been a second thumbstick. :(

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Nintendo made it lovely because they bought stock in the replacement PSP stick market.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
The 2DS feels pretty nice to hold; I wish they'd make like a 2DS with actual 3D and at 3DSXL screen sizes

wait

Nintendo please do not make yet another iteration of your handheld we have enough 3DS...es thank you

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

I just want the NX to have 2 screens.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Make 4DS that sprinkles water in your face when there's water in the game scene. With special support for Dual Destinies DLC case.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

The New Nintendo 3DS XL is practically perfect in every way.

SelenicMartian posted:

Make 4DS that sprinkles water in your face when there's water in the game scene. With special support for Dual Destinies DLC case.
It has nice water

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

The only flaw with New 3ds is that I won't be able to play Monster Hunter Generations, Dragon Quest 7, and SMTIV: Apocalypse at the same time.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Detective No. 27 posted:

The only flaw with New 3ds is that I won't be able to play Monster Hunter Generations, Dragon Quest 7, and SMTIV: Apocalypse at the same time.

That's okay, you can still play DQ7 and watch paint dry at the same time

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Hey, are you listening to a word I'm saying?

irlZaphod posted:

I've been wanting one for ages, but it seems like MHGen doesn't get that much more out of it than out of an OG 3DS XL, so I held off.

I would probably get one anyway if I had enough reassurance that it's not about to be retired in the next year or two.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Looper posted:

That's okay, you can still play DQ7 and watch paint dry at the same time

Not possible as 3ds doesn't have Steam.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Ah, a Dota 2 joke.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

irlZaphod posted:

It has nice water

Agreed but only after I bought some grips and replaced the stick and nub.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Saoshyant posted:

Ah, a Dota 2 joke.

https://medium.com/swlh/watch-paint...c753#.hnklz5n8m

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Detective No. 27 posted:

Superglue 3 of them.together. you'll get the New Triple 3dsxl

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

3ds3

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

That would be 27

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

thats too much ds

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

LODGE NORTH posted:

That would be 27

Not unless d=s and s=1.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Help Im Alive posted:

What's the flaw with the N3DSXL

An ancient piece of hardware with lovely screens, no charger (I would forgive this if they gave you a USB cable), 4GB storage, & region locked for $200 is not exactly bangin' value.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
A couple sites have listings for Shantae and the Pirate's Curse at retail, dated for September 20. Better late than never, I guess!

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

~Coxy posted:

An ancient piece of hardware with lovely screens, no charger (I would forgive this if they gave you a USB cable), 4GB storage, & region locked for $200 is not exactly bangin' value.

Yes, making it as expensive as possible worked out so well for the Vita. The cable thing isn't entirely dumb though (it's still a little dumb), because it's the same drat charger they've used since the DSi and assuming that vast swathes of their playerbase might already own one is a pretty safe bet.

BGrifter posted:

Oh to live in a world where Nintendo was competent at hardware instead of having five differently flawed handhelds. :sigh:

Can't you just make software without the bugs? Why do you need these patch things?

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Yes, making it as expensive as possible worked out so well for the Vita. The cable thing isn't entirely dumb though, because it's the same drat charger they've used since the DSi and assuming that vast swathes of their playerbase might already own one is a pretty safe best.

This was actually stupid as hell as it reeks of nickel and diming and is a rude shock to new customers not familiar with Nintendo's habits.

Source: me

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

~Coxy posted:

An ancient piece of hardware

wikipedia posted:

The system was released in Japan on October 11, 2014

1.75 years is "ancient" now?

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

you can wrap a mummy in new bandaids but its still all shriveled and gross inside

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

jivjov posted:

1.75 years is "ancient" now?

The actual tech powering the n3DS is kinda old. I don't know how old, but it's certainly nowhere near up to par with smartphones released at the same time. This has kind of been Nintendo's thing for a while, barring a few exceptions; instead of going for a pure arms race with other gaming companies, they spend their R&D trying to use old and cheap technology that's been proven already in new and innovative ways.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Yes, making it as expensive as possible worked out so well for the Vita. The cable thing isn't entirely dumb though (it's still a little dumb), because it's the same drat charger they've used since the DSi and assuming that vast swathes of their playerbase might already own one is a pretty safe bet.

I never said it would be more expensive, in fact I thought I was fairly clear in implying the opposite.
It should either be a cheap disposable device, or it should be more powerful & higher quality for the same price. The current offering is terrible value from a pure hardware perspective.

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

If you're a 'hardware fetishist' chasing every new smartphone model of course the 3DS with its great games is a bad value proposition, it does not have enough GHz combined with a (micro) SD slot and this loving physical d-pad/button abstraction layer that's not taking away real estate onscreen so you can't feel like a hipster playing your hot newly patched f2p mess that you spent in excess of €200 on already, and it's barely past the tutorial.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

There would be no Nintendo if they chased the dragon that is up to date hardware.

zolthorg
May 26, 2009

ive been playing mhgen on a 3ds og and i find the camera controls are good enough with just the l button recentering and the option of moving the camera with the dpad.

then again my last hunting game was pso 1&2 on the gcn and i never used the c stick there either. i actually took a long time to adjust to using the stick in dark souls which didnt have a good recentering button

e: also there is a good reason to get a new3ds non xl (cause xls are bad) now so that you'll always have the best version of the system to go back and play 3ds classics on. like being the current owner of a dslite or gb micro for classic ds/gba games. the nx handheld thing is looking like it will be monoscreen as the 3ds lifespan killed the 2 screen concept by making only one screen 3d dooming the second screen to vestigial features like maps and inventories

zolthorg fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Jul 29, 2016

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

I don't care how old the hardware inside my 3ds is, all I care about is that my Fire Emblem dudes have feet now.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

I've never had a problem holding the New but people here seem to constantly complain about that. Sorry about y'all's baby hands.

The Zombie Guy posted:

Wait wait, so the 2DS can't get SNES games? Fuuuuuuuuck..... My portable Ogre Battle dreams.....

Yeah, SNES VC is restricted to New 3ds, sorry bro.

raditts fucked around with this message at 13:44 on Jul 29, 2016

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Buy a DSTWO and get a semi-half way but not really good experience.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Here's a trailer explaining the battle system of the DBZ fanfiction fusion game:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zfDWSShRv6E

Spoderman
Aug 2, 2004

LODGE NORTH posted:

Buy a DSTWO and get a semi-half way but not really good experience.

Please don't do this for emulators, even NES emulation on the DSTWO is piss-poor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Party Miser
Apr 1, 2011

zolthorg posted:

e: also there is a good reason to get a new3ds non xl (cause xls are bad) now so that you'll always have the best version of the system to go back and play 3ds classics on. like being the current owner of a dslite or gb micro for classic ds/gba games. the nx handheld thing is looking like it will be monoscreen as the 3ds lifespan killed the 2 screen concept by making only one screen 3d dooming the second screen to vestigial features like maps and inventories

Are these even sentences? Is this a bot account slapping buzzwords together?