Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tumblr hype man
Jul 29, 2008

nice meltdown
Slippery Tilde

Dr. Eldarion posted:

My guess is working as an independent contractor.

This was my guess, a shocking number of people have no loving clue that they will end up owing a poo poo load of taxes on their IC gigs. Like they just hear $XX/hour and assume that's their net, my sister for one is going to be shocked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

tumblr hype man posted:

This was my guess, a shocking number of people have no loving clue that they will end up owing a poo poo load of taxes on their IC gigs. Like they just hear $XX/hour and assume that's their net, my sister for one is going to be shocked.

We got a shock once, knowing about self employment taxes and the like, but then the City of Los Angeles sent a nastygram about how my wife didn't have a license. We paid her city taxes, but hadn't paid the piper for the license to proofread college admissions essays for rich kids.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

I filed my taxes irregularly and inaccurately for most of my life (due to incompetence & alcoholism, not malicious intent to evade taxes). Is there a one-stop-shop phone number/email/website for finding out exactly what the IRS wants? I'm addressing the angry letters as they show up but it seems like every year is its own seperate process with its own progression of angry letters that each only tell me part of the picture. Is there a number I can call to say "I want to fix this, give me a to-do list that will fix everything."

edit: wait, the IRS has an 800 number for just that, and it's listed on all these angry letters I anxiously skimmed. who'da thunk?!? calling it now!

Cactus Ghost fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Jul 29, 2016

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

asur posted:

It's none of the things you say it is and you don't need to make that much more to compensate for cost of living. If you like living in bum gently caress nowhere then you pretty much have it made, but most people like living in a city.
I don't live in bumfuck nowhere, though. I live within a city of 250,000 people and I'm 1.5 hours' drive from 3 major metropolitan areas.

And as for cost of living, how much would I have to make in San Francisco to live in a 4 bedroom house on 3 acres with a 20 minute commute? Right now my house costs under $200k

Anyways, that's a rhetorical question. I know people have different values and poo poo. But this is the BWM thread, not D&D (thank God)

Dik Hz fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Jul 29, 2016

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Monday_ posted:

The funny thing is I was treasurer of a club in college and left a huge surplus when I graduated.

Makes sense, pro-dubs is the party of fiscal responsibility.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

That's bumfuck nowhere by my definition.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

OMGVBFLOL posted:

I filed my taxes irregularly and inaccurately for most of my life (due to incompetence & alcoholism, not malicious intent to evade taxes). Is there a one-stop-shop phone number/email/website for finding out exactly what the IRS wants? I'm addressing the angry letters as they show up but it seems like every year is its own seperate process with its own progression of angry letters that each only tell me part of the picture. Is there a number I can call to say "I want to fix this, give me a to-do list that will fix everything."

edit: wait, the IRS has an 800 number for just that, and it's listed on all these angry letters I anxiously skimmed. who'da thunk?!? calling it now!

Ha, I have some unresolved tax issues (need to set up a payment plan). When I call the 1-800 number it tells me that due to high call volume I should call back tomorrow or use their online options. No choice to wait in a call queue, I'm just immediately told I can't talk to anyone. It's been telling me that for a month.

When I go online it tells me that I need to call the 1-800 number.

Good luck!

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

Krispy Kareem posted:

Ha, I have some unresolved tax issues (need to set up a payment plan). When I call the 1-800 number it tells me that due to high call volume I should call back tomorrow or use their online options. No choice to wait in a call queue, I'm just immediately told I can't talk to anyone. It's been telling me that for a month.

When I go online it tells me that I need to call the 1-800 number.

Good luck!

Maybe I got extremely lucky, because I was put on hold and only waited about 20 minutes. I just put my phone on speaker and played games while I waited.

The lady was super friendly and helpful. I'm getting all my income information sent to me for the years I didn't file so can get up to date on filing, which will then let me qualify for a payment plan. She also pointed me toward the right Publications that'll explain how to file estimated payments for my self-employment stuff, which I haven't been doing.

I wish I'd done this a long time ago. I'll try to remember this sense of relief next time I get all anxious and fearful about taking care of paperwork.

Loan Dusty Road
Feb 27, 2007

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

That's bumfuck nowhere by my definition.

Mine too.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Dustoph posted:

Mine too.
Just out of curiosity, what do you get out of living in a city that you think I'm lacking by living in a town of 250k in the South? Honest question, not trying to be argumentative or anything.

Loan Dusty Road
Feb 27, 2007
Entertainment. Not that you don't have entertainment, you probably just have like 5 - 10% of what I have available. Maybe less.

Loan Dusty Road fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Jul 30, 2016

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Dik Hz posted:

Just out of curiosity, what do you get out of living in a city that you think I'm lacking by living in a town of 250k in the South? Honest question, not trying to be argumentative or anything.

You won't see world class Michelin star dining typically outside a city. At 250k, you may have lower overall culinary variety as well.
You don't get the experience of having your city economy talked about on the same level as the state economy, different scale and tier of politics.

Mocking Bird
Aug 17, 2011
Social services and law enforcement are also often lackluster

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.
Culture.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
As someone who just moved out of Washington, D.C. after living there for 6 years, I can definitely say that I miss a lot about it. However, it is BWM to live in D.C. for about 85% of the population. If you aren't in an industry in high local demand or that has large growth potential you probably shouldn't live in one of the 3 major COL urban areas (Bay Area, D.C., and New York) if you want to maximize your income.

I moved to a different state and live on the outskirts of a city with about 200k people and I never go out anymore, but I save about 1000 a month in rent and utilities. Plus lower taxes. But I lose about 150 of the savings to increased transportation costs.

I've never been to the Twin Cities, but tons of studies say it is financially "the best" major metro area as measured by job availability, culture index, and COL. So, freezing and having bad sports teams is GWM?

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Dustoph posted:

Entertainment. Not that you don't have entertainment, you probably just have like 5 - 10% of what I have available. Maybe less.

Well, name one.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

baquerd posted:

You won't see world class Michelin star dining typically outside a city. At 250k, you may have lower overall culinary variety as well.
You don't get the experience of having your city economy talked about on the same level as the state economy, different scale and tier of politics.

Name one culinary variety I don't have? We have a ton of great restaurants. I'm a foodie and I don't lack for choice here. But please name one that I'm missing?

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Mocking Bird posted:

Social services and law enforcement are also often lackluster

Social services are fine and law enforcement is great. Can you name specifics?

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

sorry double post

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

We have excellent culture and plenty of civics. Can you name one thing specifically that I'm missing?

Mocking Bird
Aug 17, 2011
My bad I didn't realize you were mentally unbalanced when I replied

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX
nice meltdown

I don't think inbreeding and widespread drug addictions count as "culture" but whatever floats your houseboat.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Mocking Bird posted:

My bad I didn't realize you were mentally unbalanced when I replied
Why the attacks, dude?

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Zo posted:

nice meltdown

I don't think inbreeding and widespread drug addictions count as "culture" but whatever floats your houseboat.
Why so hostile?

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Dik Hz posted:

Social services are fine and law enforcement is great. Can you name specifics?
I'll bite this poo poo.

Let's say you're a single parent that is also unemployed. Is there a network of functional social services that will help you get on your feet? Cheap public transport? Inexpensive social venues where you can meet people? Do police have adequate training to deal with uncommon people/situations? Can they communicate with a non english/spanish speaking person? Can you go out drinking/dancing/bowling and walk home or take said inexpensive public transit? I'm sure you see where this is going.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Nitrox posted:

I'll bite this poo poo.

Let's say you're a single parent that is also unemployed. Is there a network of functional social services that will help you get on your feet? Cheap public transport? Inexpensive social venues where you can meet people? Do police have adequate training to deal with uncommon people/situations? Can they communicate with a non english/spanish speaking person? Can you go out drinking/dancing/bowling and walk home or take said inexpensive public transit? I'm sure you see where this is going.

I don't know what you think about the South. But yes, there is a network of functional social services. There is no cheap public transport where I live, unfortunately. There are plenty of inexpensive social venues where you can meet people (much cheaper than SFO). The police are great in most communities (not all, unfortunately). Every police agency can communicate in spanish as well as english. (I wish they had more multilinguals, but that's what it is). I can go out drinking/dancing/bowling and take a cab for <$15. I wish we had cheaper public transit, but cabs are pretty cheap.

I feel that a lot of people hear "South" and think backward rear end ghetto full of Donald Trump supporters. And that's simply not the case.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Dik Hz posted:

Name one culinary variety I don't have? We have a ton of great restaurants. I'm a foodie and I don't lack for choice here. But please name one that I'm missing?

In the last month: Ethiopian, north and south Indian, Indonesian, Afghani, Moroccan, Japanese kaiseki. And in each of these cases there was spirited debate on my Facebook post about which of 4-5 were the best.

ETA: for each of those I can also find live music, theatre, churches, and similar.

Ignoring the billion different takes on French or modern American or similar, such that I can find 5 of each that I really like to rotate through. Wine list that suits me, that great appetizer I shouldn't always order but do, etc.

I've lived in different million-plus cities/regions as well as smaller half-million places. It's minor league/major league. If when you ask "what's the absolute best restaurant in town" more than 20% of people say the same thing, you're in a small pond.

Loan Dusty Road
Feb 27, 2007
You know you can click quote on multiple posts while making one post right?

I'm not going to make a huge list because that's way too time consuming. Just suffice it to say that when you say you have excellent everything, you don't actually know what excellent everything is.

I'll give you a few though. Broadway theater acts (and its not the big 3 cities that have been listed here). That's in addition to the multiple theaters we have, multiple comedy clubs with A list performers. 20+ museums, a convention center (can you say Comic Con?), professional sports, water sports (beaches, bays, lakes), theme parks, multiple A list bands EVERY WEEK, literally thousands of restaurants (I'm willing to bet we have 20+ restaurants that are better than your very best at a minimum). There's almost an endless list of activities to do. Do you have indoor sky diving? Actually sky diving (we have 4 airports)? Vinyards, one of the top micro brew cities in the world, historical sites, military sites (do you have an aircraft carrier you can tour?), etc etc etc.

You'd probably have more trouble naming something that isn't available to me.

I have no doubt you have good restaurants, culture, entertainment, etc., but you're being pretty ignorant if you think your town of 250k is going to be on par with some of the largest cities in America. How many restaurants there have been featured on legit food shows? The answer better be 20+

Loan Dusty Road fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Jul 30, 2016

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX

Dik Hz posted:

Why so hostile?

Because you're really dumb and hilariously defensive about something you're obviously wrong on.

Zanthia
Dec 2, 2014
It's pretty funny to see people claim a city of 250k people must be lacking in culture, social services, and restaurants. That's the ballpark for Madison WI and Orlando FL. Way bigger than, say, Green Bay WI. People there somehow manage to survive.

epenthesis
Jan 12, 2008

I'M TAKIN' YOU PUNKS DOWN!
Man, all those wild stories about people bad with money sure were getting boring. Thank god we decided we needed a dick measuring contest between small and mid-sized cities.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Dustoph posted:

You know you can click quote on multiple posts while making one post right?

I'm not going to make a huge list because that's way too time consuming. Just suffice it to say that when you say you have excellent everything, you don't actually know what excellent everything is.

I'll give you a few though. Broadway theater acts (and its not the big 3 cities that have been listed here). That's in addition to the multiple theaters we have, multiple comedy clubs with A list performers. 20+ museums, a convention center (can you say Comic Con?), professional sports, water sports (beaches, bays, lakes), theme parks, multiple A list bands EVERY WEEK, literally thousands of restaurants (I'm willing to bet we have 20+ restaurants that are better than your very best at a minimum). There's almost an endless list of activities to do. Do you have indoor sky diving? Actually sky diving (we have 4 airports)? Vinyards, one of the top micro brew cities in the world, historical sites, military sites (do you have an aircraft carrier you can tour?), etc etc etc.

You'd probably have more trouble naming something that isn't available to me.

I have no doubt you have good restaurants, culture, entertainment, etc., but you're being pretty ignorant if you think your town of 250k is going to be on par with some of the largest cities in America. How many restaurants there have been featured on legit food shows? The answer better be 20+
I'm sure there are more things in bigger cities. But my city has plenty of opportunities. The overwhelming vast majority of people in big cities don't do the culture stuff you're listing. And please don't assume I said we have excellent everything. And please don't assume I don't know what excellent everything is.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.

Dik Hz posted:

We have excellent culture and plenty of civics. Can you name one thing specifically that I'm missing?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6hlWknF42t0

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Zo posted:

Because you're really dumb and hilariously defensive about something you're obviously wrong on.

Well, drat, because some dude with a fox avatar on the internet said its so it must be truth, even despite the absence of any counterargument or any sort of proof of any kind.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

epenthesis posted:

Man, all those wild stories about people bad with money sure were getting boring. Thank god we decided we needed a dick measuring contest between small and mid-sized cities.

Indeed. Y'all are living in the wrong country for culture, anyway :can:

Zo posted:

Gosh that doesn't sound like forums poster Dik Hz Zo at all!

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

I was so excited to see 24 new replies.

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

Dear God,

I'm sorry I ever complained about car chat.

Love,

PSL

e:

NancyPants posted:

I was so excited to see 24 new replies.

I know, right? :smith:

Colin Mockery
Jun 24, 2007
Rawr

Dik Hz posted:

I'm sure there are more things in bigger cities. But my city has plenty of opportunities. The overwhelming vast majority of people in big cities don't do the culture stuff you're listing. And please don't assume I said we have excellent everything. And please don't assume I don't know what excellent everything is.

What's the homophobia/racism like in your city? Are there a lot of cool and fun places a gay dude can go to a restaurant and then a concert with his boyfriend and hold his hand or whatever without getting any funny looks?

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Horking Delight posted:

What's the homophobia/racism like in your city? Are there a lot of cool and fun places a gay dude can go to a restaurant and then a concert with his boyfriend and hold his hand or whatever without getting any funny looks?

Stop this poo poo

Shut up

One time I got probated for 3 days for replying to Dick Hz "because gently caress you that's why"

I am starting to consider doing it again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

Horking Delight posted:

What does this have to do with being good or bad with money. Stop.

• Locked thread