Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Ragingsheep posted:

So what do I do when I can get ridiculous amounts of possession but relatively few shots on target - more direct passing? Increase tempo?

Rename your manager Pep Guardiola and murder football.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

vyelkin posted:

Rename your manager Pep Guardiola and murder football.

someone please post the triangles post please thank you

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Ragingsheep posted:

So what do I do when I can get ridiculous amounts of possession but relatively few shots on target - more direct passing? Increase tempo?

The other teams are probably sitting in deep and you're playing in front of them, unable to create space and good chances.

You need more players trying to break lines and run in behind. More attack roles, one or two players starting higher up the pitch, that kind of thing.

If players are positioning themselves differently you probably won't need to adjust fiddly stuff like tempo.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
I'm no tactical expert, though, I always quit my careers 12-18 months in when the tactics I have lovingly created stop working due to sudden and complete player incompetence and being railroaded into conceding stupid fluke goals.

Played QPR 4 times trying random things and they scored in each one; a huge looping own goal header, an overhead kick in a packed penalty area, a tap in when all my defenders left their centre forward alone immediately after I scored, and the typical "he didn't mean that!!!" full-back cross shot.

Meanwhile my players are blasting crossfield balls that aren't on, and waiting to be tackled when simple square passes are available

I'm mad.

eleven extra elephants
Feb 16, 2007

Menschliches! Allzumenschliches!!
Might be a daft question but is there an easy way to see players whose contracts are expiring that I can sign on a free?

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

FAT WORM OF ERROR posted:

Might be a daft question but is there an easy way to see players whose contracts are expiring that I can sign on a free?

Player search, add filters, filter by contract, expiring within 6 months (1 month for certain countries for domestic transfers).

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

sassassin posted:

I'm no tactical expert, though, I always quit my careers 12-18 months in when the tactics I have lovingly created stop working due to sudden and complete player incompetence and being railroaded into conceding stupid fluke goals.

Played QPR 4 times trying random things and they scored in each one; a huge looping own goal header, an overhead kick in a packed penalty area, a tap in when all my defenders left their centre forward alone immediately after I scored, and the typical "he didn't mean that!!!" full-back cross shot.

Meanwhile my players are blasting crossfield balls that aren't on, and waiting to be tackled when simple square passes are available

I'm mad.

Thiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiis. The game calculates the score first, and then fills in the gaps to figure out how it happens, and if your team is way better and the game still calculated that you'll lose that game, you'll see all sorts of impossible loving goals getting hit in. My fave are the stonkers from 45 yards on the volley from a poo poo clogger with long shots 2 and technique 8

eleven extra elephants
Feb 16, 2007

vyelkin posted:

Player search, add filters, filter by contract, expiring within 6 months (1 month for certain countries for domestic transfers).

Ta!

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails
I like when a player makes a marauding run into the box, and every player on your team immediately starts running towards them, leaving every other opposing player completely unmarked. Then the guy shoots instead of passing anyway, your gk makes the save, and the ball rolls across the area in slow motion until an opposing player casually walks up and taps it in

eleven extra elephants
Feb 16, 2007

Is there some sort of quick method of getting a work permit? Had no idea that you could actually sign a player without one, luckily managed to fob him off on loan for a bit but I want him back ASAP.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

When debating the formations and the defensive strength of your wings etc, you should be having multiple formations anyway.

For example I often have a 4-1-4-1 that I use as a counter tactic, but another one on the next tab that basically just puts the wingers up to the AM tier, and changes the mentality to attacking, now it's a 4-1-2-2-1 with 2 inside forwards and it owns teams that sit back. Having just one tactic is foolish imo unless you are using a min/maxed downloaded one.

Brendan Rodgers fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Jul 22, 2016

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
Thought I'd check out how World Cup 2026 was getting on in my game:

lol

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.

Brendan Rodgers posted:

When debating the formations and the defensive strength of your wings etc, you should be having multiple formations anyway.

For example I often have a 4-1-4-1 that I use as a counter tactic, but another one on the next tab that basically just puts the wingers up to the AM tier, and changes the mentality to attacking, now it's a 4-1-2-2-1 with 2 inside forwards and it owns teams that sit back. Having just one tactic is foolish imo unless you are using a min/maxed downloaded one.

Yeah this def, I've got an possession controlling 433, if I need it slightly more defensive I just drop the backline back slightly deeper, I've then got a more solid and more possession based 4240 which drops the striker into an AM position to strangle games, and a 4132 which basically drops the wingers into a wider CM role and pushes the AM into a proper striker role. 3 very different versions of basically the same tactic.

kingturnip posted:

Thought I'd check out how World Cup 2026 was getting on in my game:

lol

Iran and Japan have been churning out great regens in my game

joe football
Dec 22, 2012
maybe FM 16 likes wingbacks a little too much, part #314531413

Cthulhumatic
May 21, 2007
Not dreaming...just turned off.
I'm not a tactical genius by any stretch of the imagination (I'd go so far as to say I'm at least borderline competent, though), but is there anyway to see how my assman handles matches that I vacation through? For example, using my tactics/selected players, he'll steamroll Man U with a decent though young team, but when I take control under the same circumstances they cornhole me.

That's one example, but I've seen it happen a lot, to the point where I want to know what exactly is going on. Is it just a random streak that I'm seeing or is there some underlying bullshit that the assman does that the player just cannot do?

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
The AI uses the exact same toggles and switches to interact with matches that players have access to.

But even if you tell them to use your tactics, ai managers will still respond to their advice and make changes. If your cbs win a lot of defensive headers, he'll decide to lump more balls forward into the box to take advantage. That sort of thing.

Sometimes it works.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Yeah it's a sign that your tactics are being improved by those retarded suggestions the assman makes, it means you probably aren't as competent as you say you are or perhaps it's just strange individual circumstances in that specific match. You raise a good point though in that it would be interesting to see exactly what your assman did.

For example assmans go loving schiz over playing a high 4-2-3-1, I wonder what changes they make etc, since I'm pretty sure they also go schiz over a deep 4-2-3-1.

Brendan Rodgers fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Jul 29, 2016

Cthulhumatic
May 21, 2007

Brendan Rodgers posted:

Yeah it's a sign that your tactics are being improved by those retarded suggestions the assman makes, it means you probably aren't as competent as you say you are or perhaps it's just strange individual circumstances in that specific match. You raise a good point though in that it would be interesting to see exactly what your assman did.

For example assmans go loving schiz over playing a high 4-2-3-1, I wonder what changes they make etc, since I'm pretty sure they also go schiz over a deep 4-2-3-1.

"Borderline" competent, so it's completely plausible that I'm just really bad at tactics.

I'd just like to see what steps they take and when. If I'm playing a short passing game and have the players to do it, hoofing it into the box seems so brutally counterintuitive to me, especially if my team isn't geared to take that approach with small, speedy technical players.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Speedy technical players are great at attacking long balls over the top of defences.

United, as a high reputation team, are probably playing Attacking football with a High Line. Plenty of room in behind.

Patient short passing is less likely to take advantage of counter attacking chances etc.

Cthulhumatic
May 21, 2007

sassassin posted:

Speedy technical players are great at attacking long balls over the top of defences.

United, as a high reputation team, are probably playing Attacking football with a High Line. Plenty of room in behind.

Patient short passing is less likely to take advantage of counter attacking chances etc.

So I am tactics retarded then.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

Cthulhumatic posted:

So I am tactics retarded then.

Its ok the first time i played fm i almost got arsenal relegated first season

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

I will have a whole army of zombies! A zombie Marine Corps, a zombie Navy Corps, zombie Space Cadets...

Waroduce posted:

Its ok the first time i played fm i almost got arsenal relegated first season

My first season playing I didn't realize there was team registration in the MLS and accidentally waived half my starting lineup.

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008
I forgot to register fernando torres and gerrard in fm 09.

eleven extra elephants
Feb 16, 2007

Is there any way of turning off the score updates for every match ever when you progress between days?

eleven extra elephants
Feb 16, 2007

Why is it so hard to score a loving penalty in this game? I've got a 16 composure 16 pens dude who just cannot convert. Out of the various attempts & various players I think I've put 2 out of about 12 in

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

That's just one of the things they insisted they were looking at back in beta, insisted that everyone who was complaining was a retard who should shut up because just be patient or whatever, obviously they are fixing it or maybe it was always just your tactics?, for like 6 whole months, when it turned out surprise, they aren't fixing it in FM16 but in FM17 instead*. Though it was actually was one of the minor issues in this category of "stuff we will definitely fix in the winter patch guys!".

*Yeah good luck on that.

Brendan Rodgers fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Aug 2, 2016

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009
The use current team selection instruction when going on holiday doesn't actually work...

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
I've got a guy in my team who scores more than 9/10 penalties.
Of course, he's in my Saturday squad, so if I get a penalty during a midweek game, gently caress knows which loser will miss that one. I had a left-back who scored a fair few, mind you.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
If I wanted to run a 4-2-2-2 similar to Manchester United in 07ish with Ronaldo, Tevez and Rooney what would I do?

It was a 4-2-2-2 right?

Also, should I play an IF who cuts inside on the same side as a wingback? or thats like too much attack and no defensive duties

I've simmed foward and purchased a regen thats matured into someone whose got 17 crossing, 13 Pace/Acc, 7 Passing, 16 Dribbling, 13 marking and 13 tackling.....with 3 balance and some poo poo mentals (7 concentration, 6 Determination)..... How should I get the most of him? Make him a dumbass FB who crosses?

Waroduce fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Aug 3, 2016

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
Had a look at how the other Belgian teams are doing in Europe and...

Top of the group, and qualified with a game to go, while Barcelona have to hope Gent don't lose to Leverkusen in the last match of the group stages.

joe football
Dec 22, 2012

impressed that they managed to model uefa shakedowns

eleven extra elephants
Feb 16, 2007

gently caress me what do I have to do to get world class players to sign for me, I'm playing as Sunderland and I've won the league twice in a row (second the year before) won the FA Cup both times, won the Europa league a few years before that and various other silverware and whenever I try to sign any player that's about 4/5 stars they're never interested. Does the option to try and convince them by talking to them ever work?

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails

FAT WORM OF ERROR posted:

gently caress me what do I have to do to get world class players to sign for me, I'm playing as Sunderland and I've won the league twice in a row (second the year before) won the FA Cup both times, won the Europa league a few years before that and various other silverware and whenever I try to sign any player that's about 4/5 stars they're never interested. Does the option to try and convince them by talking to them ever work?

I've had it work out about 1 per 50 tries or so, and usually they then demand a billion per week in wages so I just have to immediately walk away from negotiations anyway

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

What, I wonder, does this hidden face of madness reveal of the makers? These K'Chain Che'Malle?
Just buy people who are unhappy and build on your success. After 4-5 titles you'll be able to get the best of the best.

At the start with Swansea I was signing Brazilians and rejects. By my 3rd season (having a second and top finish behind me, plus a champions league quarter final) I was able to buy Harry Kane. The next year, after another title and a champions league win, I was able to sign almost anyone. By 2022 I was able to buy Pogba for £85 million.

Once you are consistantly doing well in Europe your reputation rockets up.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Masonity posted:

I was able to buy Harry Kane. The next year, after another title and a champions league win, I was able to sign almost anyone. By 2022 I was able to buy Pogba for £85 million.

What a waste of money

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

What, I wonder, does this hidden face of madness reveal of the makers? These K'Chain Che'Malle?

sassassin posted:

What a waste of money

He made my South American Potatoe Chip partner very happy...

I actually regret signing him. He's been great (7.8 and 7.98 averages), but with Pogba and Tielemans (passed up for £15 million early on, then bought from Liverpool for £34 mil) in midfield my kids can't break through in that position, and no-one will give me nearly the £85 million I paid. I should probably cash him in soon given he's 31. He is one of 6 players my assman rates as 4 star ability though, and would be replaced by a 22 year old with 2.5 stars and 4 star potential.

He isn't really even my record signing. Nouri cost me 75 million plus a player who was valued at £25 mil but couldn't get near my team.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
In FM17 we're going to have to hire player liaisons, data analysts and sports scientists.

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

sassassin posted:

In FM17 we're going to have to hire player liaisons, data analysts and sports scientists.

Can we book Thai prostitutes for the pre season tour?

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.

sassassin posted:

I'm glad there's going to be more new broken obtuse interpersonal relationship click menus and a poo poo broken match engine again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.

Also, why is it so much harder for me to win the league than the Champions League? My last 2 saves I've won the CL a year before winning the PL