Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Hughmoris posted:

For all those Symettra mains out there:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8_u8euNKXmA

what the gently caress, is that a bot game? no way that is real

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sleppy
Dec 25, 2008

pakman posted:

I wonder what announcement Seagull is going to make today.

https://twitter.com/SHAQ/status/757289366003658752

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

wait, Shaq does esports? :psyduck:

sleppy
Dec 25, 2008

Nihilarian posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pYjoGU-gyz8

Ever since TBS started broadcasting eleague I have heard that he is pretty into esports.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Nihilarian posted:

A-Rod and Jimmy Rollins are part investors with Shaq in team NRG. Rick Fox is also the team owner of Echo Fox.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

gnome7 posted:

Nothin', just wait. The only requirement for getting season rewards is to finish your placement matches. Higher ranks also gets you better rewards, but specifics on that are completely unknown right now, since we haven't had a finished Competitive season yet.

We know you will get a spray, an achievement, and some unknown amount of Competitive Points, with higher rank getting more points, at the end of the season. Whether or not there are additional prizes at certain very high ranks is unknown.

If you highlight the animated version of the season spray, it says its for placement in the top 500 of season 1.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

https://youtu.be/7Vhd_Xv84jo
No idea why I got credit for that PotG. Sure I blocked the ult, and I purposefully counter-charged Rein so he couldn't plow into anyone, but I think that goes to Reaper.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Bruceski posted:

https://youtu.be/7Vhd_Xv84jo
No idea why I got credit for that PotG. Sure I blocked the ult, and I purposefully counter-charged Rein so he couldn't plow into anyone, but I think that goes to Reaper.

"Lifesaver" POTGs are for when somebody else (or multiple other players) would have taken lethal damage and you stopped it. There's a predictive element where it makes its best guess at what "would" have happened if you hadn't been there.

I got one as Tracer once -- a friendly, almost-dead Pharah went for a health pack. McCree flashbanged her, I killed McCree. Junkrat came around the corner and I killed him too. Then the enemy Pharah killed her with an across-the-map rocket anyways. :v:

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

"Lifesaver" POTGs are for when somebody else (or multiple other players) would have taken lethal damage and you stopped it. There's a predictive element where it makes its best guess at what "would" have happened if you hadn't been there.

I got one as Tracer once -- a friendly, almost-dead Pharah went for a health pack. McCree flashbanged her, I killed McCree. Junkrat came around the corner and I killed him too. Then the enemy Pharah killed her with an across-the-map rocket anyways. :v:

Huh, probably the counter-charge then.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Bruceski posted:

Huh, probably the counter-charge then.

I would have said it was your shield blocking the hammer down on at least you and your Roadhog. If there were more behind you maybe it considered that as well.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

I got an awesome "shutdown" POTG as pre-buff Zenyatta, no idea what happened in it to give me the credit. Gibraltar last point defense, my whole team is stacked up, a tracer is zooming around us. I shoot at her a few times, miss, then kill her with a kick to the face. Then we turn, an ice wall goes between us and the payload, and a near dead enemy mei is standing next to me so I shoot her once then kill her with a kick to the face too. (I weave in melees by instinct when in close range combat, whether or not it is good to do so). An enemy Zarya's ult then goes off grabbing all of us. I shoot the ice wall a few times then it drops and I blindly fire towards the Zarya I can't see through my clump of teammates and sfx. She dies to all of us then the POTG ends. Did I get shutdown credit for tagging a Zarya during her ult? Or did the Tracer have hers up and not get to use it? It did make for a badass video though with Zen straight kicking 2 opponents to death.

That's my second favorite shutdown POTG. My first favorite is on hanamura defense. A pharah drops in on point A from behind and starts justicing all over us. My road hog turns and hooks, but the hook bounces off her, not connecting. So I alt fire but that somehow misses her too. I alt fire a second time and she finally dies. Her ult had already killed 2 of my teammates. That was the whole POTG. I've got it recorded with my teammates saying "WTF".

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

sleppy posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pYjoGU-gyz8

Ever since TBS started broadcasting eleague I have heard that he is pretty into esports.

......:stare:

I.... I think I'm going insane. I think this is what insanity feels like.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Symmetra is #1 attack NA. I have something like a 73% win percentage with her after 45 games. Too bad she is pretty drat boring.

Hughmoris fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Jul 29, 2016

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Hughmoris posted:

Symmetra is #1 attack NA. I have something like a 73% win percentage with her after 45 games. Too bad she is pretty drat boring.

Nano-boosted Symmetra is pretty fun especially if you have a Zarya to throw a shield on you.
*Bzzzzzzzrrrrrrrp* you're dead
*Bzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzrrrrrrrrrp* you're dead

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Is there a good Roadhog guide anywhere.

pakman
Jun 27, 2011

net cafe scandal posted:

Watch Moonmoon.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Xaris posted:

what the gently caress, is that a bot game? no way that is real

That or console.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

net cafe scandal posted:

moonmoon started a roadhog guide a while back and it's not finished and might be out of date (it's from before the FTH nerf) but it's better than nothing.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

I guess I still dont really understand if the hook is hitscan, a projectile that you need to lead, or if it actually changes course after you throw it based on where you aim. Seems like its hitscan though knowing for sure would probably help

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Does Rein's shield charge enemies' ults when they shoot it?

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

It does not.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

net cafe scandal posted:

I guess I still dont really understand if the hook is hitscan, a projectile that you need to lead, or if it actually changes course after you throw it based on where you aim. Seems like its hitscan though knowing for sure would probably help

the hook is really weird. what i think is it's a very, very fast projectile, not hitscan, that does somehow track your cursor after it's thrown and you do need to lead it a bit. this is just going off what i see moonmoon doing on stream and what he's said.

it's also got bigger hitboxes than even hanzo's old tree trunk arrows, which helps you hit things but doesn't help in trying to determine exactly how the thing loving works.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Hughmoris posted:

For all those Symettra mains out there:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8_u8euNKXmA

Games like that happen sometimes.

Nobody could really stop me in time from settings up turrets on the ceiling, and then they continued to not kill the turrets until I had set up six, then I was pretty much just killing anything that came through so why not just drop the teleporter there, too?

Sometimes you pick Sym and cost your team an objective, sometimes you pick Sym and snowball the whole game.
(Also this is a replay, which is why my team is shown as the red team in the ticker but the enemy is shown as the red team on the screen. If I hadn't cropped my battletag because I'm a coward who is hated in 90%+ of these forums, it has a red background.)

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Jul 29, 2016

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Craptacular! posted:

Games like that happen sometimes.

Nobody could really stop me in time from settings up turrets on the ceiling, and then they continued to not kill the turrets until I had set up six, then I was pretty much just killing anything that came through so why not just drop the teleporter there, too?

Sometimes you pick Sym and cost your team an objective, sometimes you pick Sym and snowball the whole game.

Why didn't that Winston in the screenshot just instantly fry all the turrets?

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Andrast posted:

well either the symmetra player's skill level is transcendant or his opponents are too stupid to turn around while holding down lmb

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Andrast posted:

He wasn't there the whole game, somebody changed at the last moment to try and turn things around. He leapt in and got a face first of ice wall and a whole bunch of lasers demolishing him.

He destroyed one turret before he died and then Overtime drained out.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

net cafe scandal posted:

There was a video a while ago using the training bots to show that the hook isn't hitscan, just very fast and with a big hitbox. If the target is at medium range and moving sideways at normal speed you need to aim about one character in front of them to hit.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Jul 29, 2016

DrSeRRoD
Apr 5, 2008

pakman posted:

I wonder what announcement Seagull is going to make today.

It was supposed to be about 45 minutes ago, but I haven't seen anything on Twitter, LG site, or twitch. Maybe Shaq is joining the team.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
the most obvious thing would be that NRG is picking up the LG roster?

Akumos
Sep 10, 2006
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SjYGJ6tdyhU

DrSeRRoD
Apr 5, 2008

Zoness posted:

the most obvious thing would be that NRG is picking up the LG roster?

Yea, but that's not as fun as imagining Shaq streaming Overwatch.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

I've got a bunch of new guys at work who are starting to play the game. Does anyone have a good newbie guide (video or otherwise) that will help get them up to speed on the basics?

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

I have no idea what's going on the past few dayus but I've been getting insane lag spikes, my ping stays the same and RTT goes up to like 500ms. Nothing else is having problems but overwatch.

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

Any advice on where to put Torbjorn's sentries? I'm so terrible at it.

SixPabst
Oct 24, 2006

flashman posted:

I have no idea what's going on the past few dayus but I've been getting insane lag spikes, my ping stays the same and RTT goes up to like 500ms. Nothing else is having problems but overwatch.

I've seen this too. I'll be playing and then not move for a couple seconds before it sorts out. I'm on 500Mbps cable so it most certainly shouldn't be that.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

Ehud posted:

I've got a bunch of new guys at work who are starting to play the game. Does anyone have a good newbie guide (video or otherwise) that will help get them up to speed on the basics?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_lrilSEqOE

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Mystic Stylez posted:

Where your enemies want to go

Also preferably where it's hard for them to kill

Beyond that it's up to you to try stuff out and see what works!

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Mystic Stylez posted:

there's no one best place but what you want to do is place it as high as possible without giving the opponent clear sight lines to it from a safe position and also be ready to plant a new turret if your first one is under consistent pressure, but not out in the open so that a pharah or reaper can just immediately kill it for easy ult charge

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Mystic Stylez posted:

I've yet to find any spot in the whole game better than the second-floor window overlooking point A on Hanamura. It takes effort to get to, sees most of the courtyard including the entrance, and despite appearances it can actually fire into and across most of the point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Ty for the Hog tips, all.