Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend

Panzeh posted:

What would you call the colonels' government? The National Democrats?

Authoritarian, anti-democratic, increasingly chauvinist. But that's nowhere near fascism. They made sure to put all the real fascists in Bereza camp.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?
New to the thread and military history, reading through the beginning I see some posters do regular updates about wars or time periods. Are there any exceptional ones that are recommended to read?

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

goodness posted:

New to the thread and military history, reading through the beginning I see some posters do regular updates about wars or time periods. Are there any exceptional ones that are recommended to read?

Trin Tragulas 1st world war daily is something else.

Also, P-Macks series on the Taiping rebellion is a pro-read.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

goodness posted:

HEY GAL makes a lot of good posts about Germany and mercenaries, but she has something like a hundred pages of posts in this thread, so it's best to treat her like a cloud of alcohol, pistols, windows, pistols shooting through windows, weird German words, and suspiciously bloody coins that gets regularly quartered in this thread.

Trin Tragula
has an amazing blog that follows WW1 day by day, and updates this thread with links to the blog every time he posts something there. If you have the time, it's very much worth it.

lenoon posts about the conscientous objector movement, and his posts are a sobering reminder of just how awful war can be even at home, hundreds of miles away from the nearest front line.

JaucheCharly posts a lot about bows, especially Ottoman ones, pretty interesting stuff in there.

Disinterested made some interesting posts about the nature of fascism.

Jobbo_Fett makes regular posts about WW2 equipment, weapons, ammo, and stuff. Not my cup of tea, and not something I read, but the impression I get from people who are interested in that is that it's pretty high quality stuff.

P-Mack posts about the Taiping War. Gigantic civil war in China, one side being led by a dude who thinks he's Jesus' baby bro.

Bewbies posts about more technology oriented stuff, and made quite a lot of interesting posts about US in the civil war, the world wars, and the cold war.

Tevery Best has a couple of cool posts about Polish history.

chitoryu12 has a separate thread in which he tastes and talks about military rations from all over the world.

Apologies to any regulars whom I forgot or left out.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

my dad posted:

HEY GAL makes a lot of good posts about Germany and mercenaries, but she has something like a hundred pages of posts in this thread, so it's best to treat her like a cloud of alcohol, pistols, windows, pistols shooting through windows, weird German words, and suspiciously bloody coins that gets regularly quartered in this thread.

Trin Tragula
has an amazing blog that follows WW1 day by day, and updates this thread with links to the blog every time he posts something there. If you have the time, it's very much worth it.

lenoon posts about the conscientous objector movement, and his posts are a sobering reminder of just how awful war can be even at home, hundreds of miles away from the nearest front line.

JaucheCharly posts a lot about bows, especially Ottoman ones, pretty interesting stuff in there.

Jobbo_Fett makes regular posts about WW2 equipment, weapons, ammo, and stuff. Not my cup of tea, and not something I read, but the impression I get from people who are interested in that is that it's pretty high quality stuff.

P-Mack posts about the Taiping War. Gigantic civil war in China, one side being led by a dude who thinks he's Jesus' baby bro.

Bewbies posts about more technology oriented stuff, and made quite a lot of interesting posts about US in the civil war, the world wars, and the cold war.

chitoryu12 has a separate thread in which he tastes and talks about military rations from all over the world.

This is a good post; worth adding to the OP maybe?

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

goodness posted:

It's all good, though we all get sidetracked posting on the fly or talking about whatever has the threads dander up. If your really into 17th century stuff, HEY GAL can post for hours.

Also, I found this idle flicking through a book on the Crimean War during my break at my job and I just have to share. Sorry for the crude phone post quality:

A Punch cartoon poking at the British Army trials and meetings over uniform reform of the British Army prior to the Crimean War. I oddly think it looks pretty cool. But then again I am a sucker for helmets influenced on ancient greeks/romans!

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

SeanBeansShako posted:

A Punch cartoon poking at the British Army trials and meetings over uniform reform of the British Army prior to the Crimean War. I oddly think it looks pretty cool. But then again I am a sucker for helmets influenced on ancient greeks/romans!
And wide, child bearing hips apparently.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Sorry for current affairs stuff, but I couldn't resist.

Fangz fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Jul 29, 2016

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

feedmegin posted:

Imprisoning people is expensive en masse, and you can't deport people who are citizens of your own country, without the agreement of whatever country you're sending them to anyway :shrug:

(not actually supporting mass executions here)

The trick is to have a large country and deport them to the parts of it that nobody wants.

goodness posted:

Shameless self promotion: http://tankarchives.blogspot.ca

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Have you written anything about Tank Destroyer doctrine yet?

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Alchenar posted:

Have you written anything about Tank Destroyer doctrine yet?

THE WORDS!... the Words... the words
Alchenar, you have spoken the Words. You have spoken them rightly.
We will explain to you about the internet amateur historians, our slavemasters.
The actual historians, our only friends... whom we exterminated.
And our reasons why we cleanse the milhist thread of TD-related topics.
We have explained this before, over twenty thousand posts ago.
Your words, `Tank Destroyer doctrine' echo that ancient derail.
You see, Alchenar, we were a proud and mighty thread, who were repeatedly derailed.
For thousands of posts, we'd have no other topic.
We were nothing more than bickering pedants.
Never again will anyone enslave our screens.
We cleanse the thread of such threats.

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

my dad posted:

Thanks, dad!

edit: If you can speak french, or german, you can watch perennial thread favourite and possible ghost-possessing-Trin-Tragula Barthas live in action, through this pretty ace project 14 diaries.

lenoon fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Jul 29, 2016

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003
I used to go off on cold war tangents, but there's more knowledge people here nowadays :)

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

There is some very sensual touching going on in the cutscene there. i don't actually think it means anything sexual but it's cool how it contrasts with modern ideas of what bad ass stuff should be like. It even seems authentic to some kind of chivalric masculine touching from a tyme longe gone

Fangz posted:

Oh my god

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Fangz posted:

Poor woman summoned the wrath of twitter upon herself.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Suspect Bucket posted:

And wide, child bearing hips apparently.

I think those are suppose to be the baggy North African style breeches that Zouaves used.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

SeanBeansShako posted:

I think those are suppose to be the baggy North African style breeches that Zouaves used.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VhuLdVFS2rM&t=12s

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
Xihao Dun and Ras Het for linguistics and Cyrano4747 (how could you forget) for modern Germany too

if you're reading from the start, IMO make sure to have avatars on so you learn names. You get used to people's biases and what they're knowledgeable about pretty quickly. This thread has a really great climate, people get challenged and called out a lot if they say something wrong. Not to say it's all holy writ but it's about the best thread I've ever found on the internet for casual history.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Koramei posted:

Xihao Dun and Ras Het for linguistics and Cyrano4747 (how could you forget) for modern Germany too

if you're reading from the start, IMO make sure to have avatars on so you learn names. You get used to people's biases and what they're knowledgeable about pretty quickly. This thread has a really great climate, people get challenged and called out a lot if they say something wrong. Not to say it's all holy writ but it's about the best thread I've ever found on the internet for casual history.

You might be mixing this thread up with some other? Ras Het does make interesting posts, but I don't think he's ever posted in this thread.

And yeah, I am kinda surprised I forgot about Cyrano. :shobon:

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Cyrano also your guy for the logistics of freaky roman sex

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

StashAugustine posted:

Cyrano also your guy for the logistics of freaky roman sex mixing cursing and historical fact in new and interesting ways.

His TFR posts have been Wordle'd before, and IIRC "gently caress" came out more than "the" (or "Nazi", for that matter).

Ask him about the correlation between Mauser-brand office machinery and both pre- and post-war K-12 education in Germany...

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
omg I was watching Twilight's Last Gleaming (1977), a movie about a US general trying to start WW3 with some nukes, and they had a Hetzer (painted ink blue for reasons) posing as a US tank. How unusual, normally it's post-war tanks remodeled as WW2 tanks. A Bridge Too Far came the same year and they had Leopards in place of Jagdpanthers or whatev's, too bad the production companies couldn't switch their assets around...

Nenonen fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Jul 29, 2016

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Nenonen posted:

omg I was watching Twilight's Last Gleaming (1977), a movie about a US general trying to start WW3 with some nukes, and they had a Hetzer (painted ink blue for reasons) posing as a US tank. How unusual, normally it's post-war tanks remodeled as WW2 tanks. A Bridge Too Far came the same year and they had Leopards in place of Jagdpanthers or whatev's, too bad the production companies couldn't switch their assets around...

On of my favorite instances of this is the German army using T-34s in Force 10 from Navarone.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Ice Fist posted:

On of my favorite instances of this is the German army using T-34s in Force 10 from Navarone.

At least that's the same time frame, and Wehrmacht actually did employ captured T-34's in numbers so it could have happened (although not in Yugoslavia), and is much more plausible than the German Shermans in Tea with Mussolini.

And it's nice that the film was actually shot in the country where the story was set, even though things could have been different:

quote:

Cinematographer Christopher Challis recalled that the film was originally considered to be filmed in Pakistan until someone realised that Pakistanis did not resemble Yugoslavians or Germans and the expense to make them appear as such on film would be financially prohibitive.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

my dad posted:

Trin Tragula

I make lovely jokes and occasionally post something about dreadnoughts.

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

I feel like force ten from Navarone was the inferior Navarone book and is therefore expected to be kind of lovely on its depiction of German vehicles

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

lenoon posted:

I feel like force ten from Navarone was the inferior Navarone book and is therefore expected to be kind of lovely on its depiction of German vehicles

The original used Chaffees to represent German tanks (a battalion's worth deployed on some backwater Greek island for some reason) so Force 10 actually comes out ahead.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Where did the Force 10 filmmakers get those T34s from?

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Yugoslavia, I imagine.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak
Ensign expendable wrote two articles about German ww2 tanks that were very good imo, worth a read if you have even a passing interest in tanks

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Grandmother of Five posted:

so i found some stuff. does anyone know what the acronym GSM might mean? context is that the gear the acronym is on, is (probably) some US army gear from 42-43. feel free to send me a PM if you happen to recognize the acronym. it's a shoulder bag btw. found some packages of US army issue gauze dated 42 along with it, which is all the context i've got. can't know if it's related because only the shoulder bag has the GSM & it's got no other print or markings on it.

Very much a guess, but General Service, Military?

Google suggests maybe General Stores Material, which would suit a bit of kit like that.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

I make lovely jokes and occasionally post something about dreadnoughts.

You should do that more.

Also there's a bunch of folks like me who are big old dilettantes. And I'm most knowledgeable about WWII pacific stuff which is like the common denominator of the thread. I assume you've received your standard issue copy of Shattered Sword?

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

I can also do this http://horseformer.blogspot.ca/

I have long posts about German Naval Zeppelins during the First World War. I've also written some histories of three WW2 aircraft (Fw 200, He 219, Ju 290) a longish post about the most bombastic bomber of the early cold war (B-36) and some other war-history related stuff.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

my dad posted:

Yugoslavia, I imagine.

Now that I think about it, Cross of Iron was also released in 1977! Force 10 From Navarone came a year later, what's the odds of the same tanks being used on both sets? Bonus brownie points if you can tie the same vehicles to some real battle in Bosnia...

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Panzeh posted:

You know how Poland in 1939 was a fascist and anti-semitic state? Why did the people behind that need to be preserved?

Why do so many goons support mass murder as a political tool?

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Hogge Wild posted:

Why do so many goons support mass murder as a political tool?

It's all we know.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Koramei posted:

agreed

except that imo it's the best thread on the internet full stop

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Hogge Wild posted:

agreed

except that imo it's the best thread on the internet full stop

Honestly never seen history stuff, especially milhist stuff talked about so casually but also so well mannered and with that wonderful touch of the academic done as good as this thread.

Rodrigo Diaz
Apr 16, 2007

Knights who are at the wars eat their bread in sorrow;
their ease is weariness and sweat;
they have one good day after many bad

Ainsley McTree posted:

This is a good post; worth adding to the OP maybe?

When the OP was being written we specifically decided against saying this sort of stuff in order to keep from discouraging new posters who might have valuable knowledge.

Edit: also im never editing the op

Double edit: point being that putting people on pedestals, especially goons, is a stupid idea.

Rodrigo Diaz fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Jul 30, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

System Metternich posted:

Generally speaking dishonourable professiones can be divided into three groups: Firstly those whose job led them outside of their respective communities where society couldn't control and supervise them (e.g. millers, Türmer [can't find the English expression for this, maybe "tower wardens"? These guys sat in high towers and watched the town for fires, but were also on th elookout for approaching enemies] and tanners). Then there were those who didn't belong to a proper community at all, e.g. shepherds, rag-and-bone men, wandering musicians and tinkers. And finally those professions were dishonourable who were "unclean", i.e. those in contact with dirt, blood and death, like executioners, tanners again, gravediggers, charcoal burners, torturers, but also barbers.

Thanks for a long interesting answer. I picked on butchers just because I read somewhere they, like tanners, were sometimes forced to live in downwind parts of towns, because of the smell.

lenoon posted:

You can make them on an industrial scale through coppicing. If you manage a hazel or birch plantation, you'll be getting thousands of suitable dowel stems about every two years. I think the production of arrows was done at a local level - The King tells the local sheriff "your quota is 5,000 arrows" or just the feathers, or the heads, or the shafts. The Sheriff then has to make that happen. If you have a small hazel plantation you end up with something like 25 tonnes of dowel every five years, per hectare of land. So you have multiple small coppiced plantations, which produce thin, strong shoots by the thousand, and you rotate which ones are harvested. Working down to an arrow shaft from a coppiced shoot is no doubt a total ball-ache, but you're working from something a lot closer to the end product.

Hadn't thought of coppicing; even if only 1% of shoots are long and straight enough, that should do the job. Still probably a total ball-ache to get them properly straight, as you say. I imagine you'd hide the slightly dodgy ones in the middle of the sheaf where no-one could see them. While googling this, btw, I learnt that you can't use feathers from different wings; imagine messing that one up...

• Locked thread