Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

There's a connection, it's just one way.

The TV shows are parasites, not symbiotes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

ToastyPotato posted:

Well yah at this point because they've been so forcibly written to be clearly separate. Infinity would be the only potential thing.

Anyway that interview is pretty much just the confirmation that the TV and movies simply aren't actually connected. Without a major behind the scenes change, that is just the way it is going to be, and until then, we are going to keep getting weird excuses in interviews because it is bad for business and investors to admit that office drama is the big problem.

It's hilarious to me that this is caused by white male executives acting like children and refusing to coordinate because of their egos. It can't just be Perlmutter being a dick, it has to be others blocking each other because of reasons.

Jonny_Rocket
Mar 13, 2007

"Inspiration, move me brightly"

Aphrodite posted:

The TV shows are parasites, not symbiotes.

This is a great analogy

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

I don't even know if the Netflix series are even occurring at the same time as the movies. Daredevil and Jessica Jones seem to have taken place sometime after (in DD S1, shortly after) Avengers 1, and Avengers 2 or Civil War or even Cap 2 have even been referenced in the Netflix shows.

Answer is still a cop out. But at least until Defenders wraps up, they might be able to justify it within the universe.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
I still don't see why its a big deal, I like having things stratified and be there own thing within the same universe

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Jonny_Rocket posted:

Cross-post from Cinema Discussion -

Source: http://io9.gizmodo.com/marvel-has-a-new-different-explanation-for-how-its-tv-1784526484

What a cop out. Why bother having the universes be connected if there aren't any meaningful connections in the first place? The film division seems to want nothing to do with the Netflix and ABC series. Agents of Shield is about as mediocre as a show could get, but what about the Netflix series? Those have been legitimately good (so far).

All the Netflix leads have contract options to appear in the films. But yeah, nobody at Marvel Studios wants anything to do with Agents of Shield.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Yet its the only show who has had movie stars in it, even if it was only Sam Jackson twice for some very short cameos.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Jonny_Rocket posted:

Cross-post from Cinema Discussion -

Source: http://io9.gizmodo.com/marvel-has-a-new-different-explanation-for-how-its-tv-1784526484

What a cop out. Why bother having the universes be connected if there aren't any meaningful connections in the first place? The film division seems to want nothing to do with the Netflix and ABC series. Agents of Shield is about as mediocre as a show could get, but what about the Netflix series? Those have been legitimately good (so far).
And by logistics, they mean Perlmutter I assume.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
It's times like these I feel really bad for the guy who plays agent coulson, talk about getting a raw deal.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

site posted:

It's times like these I feel really bad for the guy who plays agent coulson, talk about getting a raw deal.

It's worse because he's constantly talking in interviews like this super optimistic kid who wants all these cool things to happen with AOS and the films, and it's like, no man, they don't care about your show, I'm sorry.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

site posted:

Why.

He's a former bit character actor who suddenly became popular enough due to what was just a bit role that 1. That Role got expanded to him being a major character in phase one. 2. That popularity ended with him being brought back to be the male lead of a goddamn show on Network TV. While doing voices for TV and Games. He also gets to go to all sorts of cons and poo poo where people loving shower him with love.

I'm sure maybe as someone who wants more crossover just for story and creative reasons he might be disappointed. But He didn't get a raw deal by any stretch of the imagination.

And I don't mean that as an Insult as the dude who plays him is awesome.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

They didn't kill him in the movies to put him on the show or anything, he was out either way. The show idea only came up later.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Aphrodite posted:

They didn't kill him in the movies to put him on the show or anything, he was out either way. The show idea only came up later.

Yep. And it was due to his popularity as a character that he got brought back while they were coming up with the idea for the show in the first place.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Ah, I was under the impression that he was killed in avengers for the show. My bad.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

JT Smiley posted:

I don't really see how you could cross over the Netflix characters into the movies without making it seem really forced.

Several of these shows and movies take place in the same city. Like Daredevil is a subway ride from Spider-Man. And ya know, the comics have managed to pull it off every once in a while.

achillesforever6 posted:

I still don't see why its a big deal, I like having things stratified and be there own thing within the same universe

I don't see anything special about a shared universe if there are no crossovers. If the two don't blend, they might as well not be the same universe.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

SonicRulez posted:

Several of these shows and movies take place in the same city. Like Daredevil is a subway ride from Spider-Man. And ya know, the comics have managed to pull it off every once in a while.

I don't see anything special about a shared universe if there are no crossovers. If the two don't blend, they might as well not be the same universe.

Nah, It would be cool for them(AOS, Netflix Series) to all have in some set piece driven moment in Infinity War 2 or something when they are fighting Thanos's forces on earth, Maybe give them a line and a small bit showcasing their powers and skills or something.

But other than that It's not that big of a deal. Just make the best individual shows/movies you can make.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Yeah, I don't really feel real too sorry for the guy that got paid to do two or three days work every two years that has now been saddled with four plus years of steady work making much more money. Seems like he got the better end of the deal.

site posted:

Ah, I was under the impression that he was killed in avengers for the show. My bad.

Even if he was it's still a better deal.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

It is unusual for someone to seemingly transition to movies and then get put down to a TV show, but then again, its a steady paycheck and more than a few supporting characters in the MCU have either been quietly or not so quietly recast. Guy's played his cards right and he's probably gotten a steady paycheck for as long as he wants it.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

Dexo posted:

Yep. And it was due to his popularity as a character that he got brought back while they were coming up with the idea for the show in the first place.

Clark Greg turned a minor bit character into study work for nearly ten years, I'm sure he's crying all the way to the bank about his fictional character not getting to hangout with Iron Man anymore.

SonicRulez posted:

Yeah, comics shoehorn in cameos all the time, but why do the tv shows need to emulate that?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

He was doing a sitcom for like 4 seasons before that, so it's not like he was out of TV.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

He was doing a sitcom for like 4 seasons before that, so it's not like he was out of TV.

Yeah, he's been working steadily since the 90s. Marvel raised his profile, but it's not like he was some starving talent.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

X-O posted:

Yeah, I don't really feel real too sorry for the guy that got paid to do two or three days work every two years that has now been saddled with four plus years of steady work making much more money. Seems like he got the better end of the deal.

Even if he was it's still a better deal.

I have no idea what salaries look like but I'd assume he'd be paid fairly decently for roles that he would still be doing every year or two (although Sam Jackson didn't even show up in civil war at all which i thought was weird, so i mean that's not guaranteed I guess) but he also wouldn't be saddled with a show that people seen to regard as cycling between really bad and almost decent at best.

But yeah, work is work so...

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
He probably wasn't making that much from his extremely small cameos, the only movie he played a significant role in was Thor. Plus he's probably happy to finally be the lead actor in his own show for once.

What I'm saying is, don't worry about Clark Greg. Clark Greg is doing just fine.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

For me, it has nothing to do with his earnings. It is more that he is clearly one of the biggest fans of the material of anyone involved, but he got stuck with like the one thing that is kind of completely ignored by everyone in the company.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

site posted:

I have no idea what salaries look like but I'd assume he'd be paid fairly decently for roles that he would still be doing every year or two (although Sam Jackson didn't even show up in civil war at all which i thought was weird, so i mean that's not guaranteed I guess) but he also wouldn't be saddled with a show that people seen to regard as cycling between really bad and almost decent at best.

But yeah, work is work so...

The show is p much going to be saved by what Chuck on NBC got saved because of(besides NBC having no other shows besides comedies). The Ratings are reliable and stable enough to stay around til they find something better.

Also it hasn't been really bad since like that 3-4 episode arc of Cal's gang(lol the woman with blades in her hands as her inhuman power). It's been varying decent to pretty good since that arc ended. IMO anyway.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

ToastyPotato posted:

For me, it has nothing to do with his earnings. It is more that he is clearly one of the biggest fans of the material of anyone involved, but he got stuck with like the one thing that is kind of completely ignored by everyone in the company.

It's not ignored by Perlmutter who has been over TV since the beginning. It just seemingly has little to do with Feige anymore.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

JT Smiley posted:

Yeah, comics shoehorn in cameos all the time, but why do the tv shows need to emulate that?

Because people like it when they do it? You may be blase about it, but everything about the MCU has centered around people marking out over Avengers Initiative and "I'm putting a team together" and all that other stuff. That's not the only thing people go to the movies to see, but it plays a part. Most people would like to see these things intermix. That's the entire point of a shared universe. I don't even see how that's deniable. They could've just made a separate Daredevil Netflix series with no attachment to anything if they never planned on him interacting with characters that aren't in Daredevil. The quality of that show isn't at all affected by its connections to the MCU. Which I guess is why some people reason that DD therefore never needs to crossover, but I feel like that point goes both ways.

Basically I hate this toe in the water approach. In or out. Shared universe or not.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
Clark Gregg is drowning in Dirty Dancing residuals.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

SonicRulez posted:

Because people like it when they do it? You may be blase about it, but everything about the MCU has centered around people marking out over Avengers Initiative and "I'm putting a team together" and all that other stuff. That's not the only thing people go to the movies to see, but it plays a part. Most people would like to see these things intermix. That's the entire point of a shared universe. I don't even see how that's deniable. They could've just made a separate Daredevil Netflix series with no attachment to anything if they never planned on him interacting with characters that aren't in Daredevil. The quality of that show isn't at all affected by its connections to the MCU. Which I guess is why some people reason that DD therefore never needs to crossover, but I feel like that point goes both ways.

Basically I hate this toe in the water approach. In or out. Shared universe or not.
The reason they are shared is because the brand is strong and they think more people will watch a show if it has the Marvel Studios logo on it

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Yeah, he's married to Jennifer Grey, he already won.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

I wish Netflix released numbers for the Marvel shows to compare with AOS. It would be interesting to see how they compare.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
He's having the time of his liiiiiiife and he owes it all to her

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
The person you should feel for is Grant Gustin. That poor bastard.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

He was on Glee. He deserves this.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
What about Jesse L Martin?

qntm
Jun 17, 2009
I never watched more than a few episodes of AoS, have any of the Avengers found out that Coulson's still alive?

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

qntm posted:

I never watched more than a few episodes of AoS, have any of the Avengers found out that Coulson's still alive?

Nope. Probably because in the movies he is dead. (Because the show isn't canon. :smith: )

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

qntm posted:

It has never come up (afaik).

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Coulson and SHIELD generally have not come up since Winter Soldier, outside of Nick Fury and the helicarrier in Ultron. (Not counting the flashback in Ant-Man.) On the show, The US Government knows Coulson is alive, and that SHIELD still exists and that he is/was the director. In the movies, these things never come up. Not even in Civil War where you'd think there would be at least some hint of SHIELD's vigilantism (since they were basically illegally operating after Winter Soldier). Civil War was kind of the signal that AOS was no longer in continuity with the movies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Crossposting: Tyler Hoechlin in-costume, on set, doing the thing.