Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR
My turn to half rear end it until I beat the rest of my summer sale games, but I saw today on the login screen the summer festivals starts today, believe it lasts til August 4th. I'll edit this post later if I find any cool new rewards I didn't see last year.

edit

bird kites are pretty cool

extra stout fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Jul 21, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

I just reinstalled the game after over 2 years, now I'm partying with hobbits

Edit: I've got a level 29 Lore-master, are they decent these days?

Pham Nuwen fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Jul 27, 2016

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Yeah. It seems red tree DPS builds are very powerful with them, and I can say from personal experience the blue pet tree is ridiculously easy mode, to the point I never really learned how to play the class and had to drop it because I was/am a woefully bad LM.

AskYourself
May 23, 2005
Donut is for Homer as Asking yourself is to ...

Pham Nuwen posted:

Edit: I've got a level 29 Lore-master, are they decent these days?

Yup, LM are very good at AOE DPS on the red line. With Crits and stuff my LM is a powerhouse.

They can also got yellow for group debuff for raids and harder stuff.

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

Does LM still have to deal with an absurd number of skills/buttons?

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Yeah. It seems red tree DPS builds are very powerful with them, and I can say from personal experience the blue pet tree is ridiculously easy mode, to the point I never really learned how to play the class and had to drop it because I was/am a woefully bad LM.

This is true, LMs have more versatility than nearly every other non premium class, and it's been true for the last two years of the 'end game'

AskYourself
May 23, 2005

Trebuchet King posted:

Does LM still have to deal with an absurd number of skills/buttons?

They still have a lot of skills but it's nowhere near as chaotic as it was in the beginning.

You get more or less one row of direct damage skill and 3/4 row of debuff and crowd control plus a few heal and utilities.

I'll post a screen shot of my skill bar when I get back home.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

AskYourself posted:

They still have a lot of skills but it's nowhere near as chaotic as it was in the beginning.

You get more or less one row of direct damage skill and 3/4 row of debuff and crowd control plus a few heal and utilities.

I'll post a screen shot of my skill bar when I get back home.

I have all 4 rows more or less filled up with very little rhyme or reason, would like to see your setup.

I'm sad to see that... whatever that skill with the brain icon, where you'd stun the enemy and otherwise gently caress them up, seems to be gone for me. That was always my standard initiation because you could fire it off at long distance.

moebius2778
May 3, 2013

Pham Nuwen posted:

I'm sad to see that... whatever that skill with the brain icon, where you'd stun the enemy and otherwise gently caress them up, seems to be gone for me. That was always my standard initiation because you could fire it off at long distance.

Test of will. It's yellow only these days.

AskYourself
May 23, 2005
Here we go :)

Red line, AoE dps

1: quick refresh AoE dmg
2,3,4 : quick refresh single target dmg
5,6,7,8,9,0,- : AoE dmg
= : stun/mez immunity
S+1.. S+6 : debuff
C+1, C+2 : stun
C+3, C+4 : mez
A+1, A+2 : pet attack / boost
Last four of S and C : healing and utility

This spec is for dps solo or in group.
Solo LM are very versatile with the AoE and single target mez, stun, debuff and dmg that you have to pretty much not pay attention to die.

Yellow & Blue group setup for debuff and side healing :

1,2,3,4,5,6 : Damage
8,9,0,-,= : healing
S+1 .. S+9 : debuff
C+1, C+2, C+3 : stun
C+4, C+5 : mez
S+0, S+-, S+=, C+0, C+-, C+= Utility

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

So I'm level 30 and have about enough turbine points to buy a quest pack. Any recommendations? North Downs says levels 24-30 so I should probably skip it?

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010

Pham Nuwen posted:

So I'm level 30 and have about enough turbine points to buy a quest pack. Any recommendations? North Downs says levels 24-30 so I should probably skip it?

Evendim is your best bet. It covers roughly 30-40, and it's a really good zone.

AskYourself
May 23, 2005
Seconding Evendim

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
Evendim should always be your first quest pack purchase because you can go there right after Lone Lands and it's simply the best zone to hit next. North Downs got revamped but it's still not as good.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Bought Evendim, spent 2 hours helping hobbits prepare a farmers market.

Edit: I followed the main questline to North Downs earlier, it's pretty but feels empty. Gonna level a bit in Evendim so I can later go back and solo those level 30 quests to rescue Dori and kill what's-his-rear end the orc.

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010
Keep traveling north past the Hobbit area and you'll eventually get to a really big statue. You'll know it when you see it. That's when the real Evendim experience begins. I'll never forget the first time I ever rounded the hill and saw that thing for the first time. I still have the screenshots.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

I still think that Hobbits asking you to do dumb poo poo, is a high point for the game. It's just so pointless and silly. I love hobbit quests. That said Evendim is a great region.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

100YrsofAttitude posted:

I still think that Hobbits asking you to do dumb poo poo, is a high point for the game. It's just so pointless and silly. I love hobbit quests. That said Evendim is a great region.

Exactly, leading 4 wayward sheep back to the pen is a change from gathering 4 boar asses, very chill.

But who the gently caress makes a pie filled with grape jam, hobbits?

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Pham Nuwen posted:

Bought Evendim, spent 2 hours helping hobbits prepare a farmers market.

Edit: I followed the main questline to North Downs earlier, it's pretty but feels empty. Gonna level a bit in Evendim so I can later go back and solo those level 30 quests to rescue Dori and kill what's-his-rear end the orc.

Clear Evendim, which can take you from about 30-41/42 and if you see a level 100 online with 5 minutes free ask them to help you blitz GA (the Lone Lands instance) a few times for the tokens, then go trade in the tokens for teal weapons you can use in the mid-upper 30s, those will probably last you until 45 when you can and absolutely should go to Eregion to start the Moria intro and get the freebie starter LIs.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Hobbits suck, the shire is poo poo. Walk through it once on the way to Bree and never look back.

alfheimwanderer
Jun 1, 2011

Oh brave new world that hath such people in it...

Pham Nuwen posted:

There's always the Bingo Boffin quest line, too, which has you helping a hobbit to explore the vast world!

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

sassassin posted:

Hobbits suck, the shire is poo poo. Walk through it once on the way to Bree and never look back.

:O

Mods?!?

ArchWizard
Mar 27, 2009

There's the Roy I know and love.

I'm back after a very long absence. I quit because after making it to Western Gondor because the Dol Amroth dailies were (are?) steaming piles of warg poo poo. Now I want to know how to proceed from here. In what order am I supposed to do the new areas? More important: Are there any areas that I shouldn't bother buying? Most important of all: Is there anything worth seeing in the Paths of the Dead yet?

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

I suppose The newest area is worth it, Far Anorien right? I haven't bought it yet but it has content post level 100. I'd get that and Old Anorien since that gives you Minas Tirith and the most relevant stuff. Otherwise the area with Osgiliath may be worth it. This is if you have to pick and choose. Otherwise I was a big fan of Central Gondor, I felt it was pretty well done, and I'd recommend to just go through it all anyway.

AskYourself
May 23, 2005
Definitely do Central Gondor as it give 4 class trait points so there's' that.

Also of note to get more trait points :

Completing Volume IV, Book 2 (earning 1 point)
Completing Quest:Ashes and Stars, Chapter 4 in Eastern Gondor (earning 1 point)
Completing two quests of Volume IV, Book 4 (earning two points) :
Volume IV, Book 4, Chapter 10: The Defence of Minas Tirith (that's a big battle)
Volume IV, Book 4, Chapter 11: Hammer of the Underworld (big battle too)
Completing two meta deeds in Old Anórien (earning two points)
Quests of Old Anórien
Deeds of Old Anórien : this one is a bitch, getting some deed grinding tomes will help.

AskYourself
May 23, 2005
Expansion pack are 50% currently :)

http://store.turbine.com/store/turbine/en_US/list/categoryID.58733200/parentCategoryID.58516200

Periodiko
Jan 30, 2005
Uh.
I'm duoing through this game with someone, we're near the end of Moria - should we just quit before Rise of Isengard? I heard the game takes a big nose dive in quality after Mirkwood, and neither of us have much interest in grinding through two potentially bad expansions to get to an endgame we probably won't play. We've already had a few "hey you want to just quit" moments like when we were doing the endless travel insane travel quests in the epic story ("talk to Elrond").

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Periodiko posted:

I'm duoing through this game with someone, we're near the end of Moria - should we just quit before Rise of Isengard? I heard the game takes a big nose dive in quality after Mirkwood, and neither of us have much interest in grinding through two potentially bad expansions to get to an endgame we probably won't play. We've already had a few "hey you want to just quit" moments like when we were doing the endless travel insane travel quests in the epic story ("talk to Elrond").

Admittedly I got pretty burned out after Moria myself (and all I really wanted to do was level up my Loremaster so I could dual wield sword and staff) and the quests don't really change after that. The epic battles from the latest expansion are pretty neat and I liked messing with legendary gear but if you're looking for a change of pace you're not going to find it there.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Periodiko posted:

Yeah the next Rohan bit is really underwhelming, though it does pick up and gets nearly as good as the Eriador regions back in Gondor.

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!
Me and a group of 3 other buddies are playing the game. We are just about to hit lvl 20. Just wondering if we should buy any expansions or what path to take to level up?

Mr. Safe
Apr 18, 2009
Came back after a 6 year hiatus to find that I have accrued almost $400 worth of funbux and all the expansions were 50% off, even if purchased with Turbine Points. I love Turbine but there are some days that I really worry about them...

I'm playing as a Beorning. I've heard that they are like Captains, except worse in all ways. Is that true?

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

Mr. Safe posted:

Came back after a 6 year hiatus to find that I have accrued almost $400 worth of funbux and all the expansions were 50% off, even if purchased with Turbine Points. I love Turbine but there are some days that I really worry about them...

I'm playing as a Beorning. I've heard that they are like Captains, except worse in all ways. Is that true?

Congratulations on your lifetime of turbine points, and no whoever said that is probably a captain who doesn't play beorning. Beorning is the best solo class in the game, and heals entire groups while dpsing. Most people play a yellow/red hybrid for that reason. The name of the game is learning all of your abilities in man form and in bear form, and in toggling between the two before you completely run out of wrath, and to balance both sets of cooldowns as well as you can. It takes about 6 creeps to kill 1 beorning in PVP, no exaggeration.

What's your name on the bear? I can send some gear for it, or gold if you need any.

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Yeah the next Rohan bit is really underwhelming, though it does pick up and gets nearly as good as the Eriador regions back in Gondor.

It's taken me a year and a half to grind through Rohan. Pretty rough.

Supreme Lord Jeremy
Jul 12, 2006

"We have waited centuries for this moment. The rivers will flow with the blood of those who oppose us."
So, I just re-logged for the first time in a couple years. I'd love an invite to Nazgun. Sarnell is my main. I guess I'm a 69 Lore Master. I have no idea what kind of build I should go for nowadays. Is the blue line still good for soloing?

EDIT: Actually, it looks like I'm still in Nazgun? I just transferred from Silverlode... Is it the same guild that got transferred, or do I need an invite to a new one?

Supreme Lord Jeremy fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Aug 26, 2016

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
Same guild.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

Exmond posted:

Me and a group of 3 other buddies are playing the game. We are just about to hit lvl 20. Just wondering if we should buy any expansions or what path to take to level up?

ILL ANSWER THIS QUESTION LATER THAN I SHOULD HAVE: It's treasure hunting weekend!!

edit

You probably made your decision a long time ago, for the most part the game is free til 30 and while the expansions go on very cheap sales, you probably shouldn't buy more than one at a time unless you and your friends all have a lot higher rates of sticking with MMOs than the rest of the world does.

extra stout fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Sep 1, 2016

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR
Also the Farmer's Faire just started, and the 25% off sale on the Far Anorien quest pack was extended until the 4th since it wasn't displaying properly before.

I've been playing very casually and am surprised to see they raised the cap on legendary items without me noticing or really needing to upgrade, I'm doing it now because I'm a huge nerd idiot though. Is anyone capped again right now on an LI? I believe it's five more star-lit crystals and a number of anfalas scrolls I don't want to guess, maybe 50 or 60? More?

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
I haven't played the latest yet. I meant to ask, when they increased the levels on LIs, did they make it easier to get scrolls and such?

It was already a huge grind, adding more without a catch up mechanism seems a bad idea.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

xZAOx posted:

I haven't played the latest yet. I meant to ask, when they increased the levels on LIs, did they make it easier to get scrolls and such?

It was already a huge grind, adding more without a catch up mechanism seems a bad idea.

The good and cheerful part of this is I can confirm without looking, yes they did. I remember, I think two or one updates before the raid that they reduced anafalas scroll costs from most barter sources. I saw a thread on the forums that lists the changes, will edit this post once I've got time to find it.

The bright side is I have like 6 star-lit crystals and 50 scrolls I mailed to my bear, the bad side is for both my axe and rune it looks like I'll be using every single one up. Or that I didn't sell all of them before the costs were reduced, then buy it all again today for 1000+ gold profit.

edit

Not sure how I forgot to mention this part: The devs including the new producer gave interviews to that Dadi's LoTRO fan site guy, and confirmed the contract/license will be extended until the end of 2018, and then again if things go smoothly.

http://dadislotroguides.com/dadis-exclusive-interview-with-the-lotro-team-part-2/

There's a link, change 2 to 1 or go to the front page to listen to or read the first half.

Cool stuff other than the game isn't ending anytime soon: Hunters and more importantly Burglars will be buffed, though not in a way that will re-do the whole maneuver system yet. Just dps and survival skills.

Next raid is hinted to be Shelob. Next update is planned for October, doubt that would be the Shelob raid or book quest into Minas Morgul yet though.

extra stout fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Sep 2, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AskYourself
May 23, 2005
Each legacies can now be upgraded up to level 59 from level 41 I think. So that's 18 scrolls time 7 legacies = 126 per Legendary item.

Considering every character has at least 2 that's 252 Anfalas scroll of empowerment.

I'm not sure exactly how much crustal of rememberance but 5 more per LI sound realistics.

Good news is they are easy to farm just be running the feature instance, although that get repetitive after a while.

Also, Scrolls of empowerment can be traded for Marks and Medallion and sometime drop from the Pelenor instances bosses's chest.

Sure that's a lot of grind but hey my LM has some crazy AOE dps now ;)