Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...
A 10 minute one shot where a character picks up and then puts down every object in the room as the internal monologue voiceover goes "Wow, I remember this!" does not really translate to film.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Primetime
Jul 3, 2009
I'm at work so I can't look at either the announcement link or the other thing that was just posted, so I might look like an idiot here:

If it's "digital media" or whatever they called it, I wonder if there's a chance they keep interactivity? Obviously you can't look at every item around you, but if you could still click a choice once in a while like a tv "choose your own adventure" it could maybe be ok. Just a thought.

Separately, thanks for the game suggestions (from weeks ago) everyone. I already played gone home years ago, so I'm out of high school drama options, but I'll check out some of the other recommendations!

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I think the premise of a teenage girl having the power to rewind time is such an excellent concept on its own that even if the series differs in its structure, they can still do something cool and original, in the same way that the Fargo TV series expands upon the ideas of the original movie without shamelessly attempting to copy it. Of course none of it will work if it can't hit ~the feels~.

VagueRant posted:

I think this is a bad idea. For as much additional depth as Life is Strange gave to it's initially clich้ characters, it's interactivity, the fact it is a game is what made it so interesting. As a TV show it will just come off a like high school soap opera with a supernatural twist. In TV there's a billion high school dramas, but in video games they're INCREDIBLY rare. Hell, most game developers can't be bothered doing the work to just have a modern day, relatively unfantastical, real world setting (other than vaguely war and sports) and so they massively stick out in video games - but in TV that's just standard.

There hasn't been a good show about teenagers on TV since Freaks and Geeks was cancelled.

exquisite tea fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Jul 27, 2016

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

exquisite tea posted:

There hasn't been a good show about teenagers

Agreed.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

exquisite tea posted:

Dontnod is working on some vampire game now but they've said they're open to the idea of a sequel that would focus on different characters in a different setting.
They could always go with the canon evil ending like the first Legacy of Kain did, where the player had to sacrifice himself or the world :v:

the outcome of that

Jackard fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Jul 29, 2016

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Jackard posted:

They could always go with the canon evil ending like the first Legacy of Kain did, where the player had to sacrifice himself or the world :v:

the outcome of that
The ironic thing is that Kain's selfishness actually saved the world in the long run because if he died vampires would have went extinct and the Hylden would have won.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

Well yea but just saying, there's a really great precedent

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
More sequels should go the LoK route, yeah.

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...
Or the KOTOR 2 route, where you pick a canon ending, but still give the PC a dialogue option to fold their arms and say "That's not how I remember it." The game then kinda shrugs and goes "I don't know what to tell you, man."

Nameless Pete fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Jul 29, 2016

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
Just beat this yesterday, that final choice was an emotional gutpunch even if I kinda saw it coming the whole game. As soon as I saw a hurricane in the opening chapter I was like "okay, butterfly... hurricane, I get it", but I didn't want to believe it'd come to that so I put it out of my mind. Mr Jefferson surprised me somehow, did not see that coming until just before the reveal. And for whoever cares, I chose to sacrifice Chloe for the bay even if it hurt me to do it. I mean Chloe herself wants you to do it, she wants to sacrifice herself to save the town and is ultimately the bigger hero. Saving her to drive people out of their homes and/or kill them, hundreds of them, is just selfish and lovely. I mean what if Joyce died, would Chloe even want to be around you or go on living if her mom died, especially if you caused it?

Two minor things I was wondering though, what importance if any does saving the bird have? Is it just a side thing like the thing where you keep warning your classmate? Also, why is Victoria already dead when you wake up in the torn photo reality? You're back at the exact time you left so what could have led Jefferson to kill Victoria outright instead of dragging her into the bunker? Maybe he monologued the answer but I was barely paying attention to him after 45 minutes of that poo poo.

ApathyGifted
Aug 30, 2004
Tomorrow?

King Vidiot posted:

Just beat this yesterday, that final choice was an emotional gutpunch even if I kinda saw it coming the whole game. As soon as I saw a hurricane in the opening chapter I was like "okay, butterfly... hurricane, I get it", but I didn't want to believe it'd come to that so I put it out of my mind. Mr Jefferson surprised me somehow, did not see that coming until just before the reveal. And for whoever cares, I chose to sacrifice Chloe for the bay even if it hurt me to do it. I mean Chloe herself wants you to do it, she wants to sacrifice herself to save the town and is ultimately the bigger hero. Saving her to drive people out of their homes and/or kill them, hundreds of them, is just selfish and lovely. I mean what if Joyce died, would Chloe even want to be around you or go on living if her mom died, especially if you caused it?

Two minor things I was wondering though, what importance if any does saving the bird have? Is it just a side thing like the thing where you keep warning your classmate? Also, why is Victoria already dead when you wake up in the torn photo reality? You're back at the exact time you left so what could have led Jefferson to kill Victoria outright instead of dragging her into the bunker? Maybe he monologued the answer but I was barely paying attention to him after 45 minutes of that poo poo.

To answer your questions, the bird is a side thing, just like your plant. It's still in the house in episode 3 or 4, at which point you can open another window and shoo it out. Victoria is dead because you used the photo to go back to a point while you were still in the Dark Room getting photographed. When you were there you caused Jefferson to smash the vial of GHB, which meant he didn't have enough to keep both of you drugged. He killed her when she started coming to her senses, because it meant she'd remember what had happened. While Jefferson claims that Rachel Amber actually died because Nathan overdosed her, it's heavily implied that he actually killed her/had Nathan kill her for the same reason (there was a comment about how angry she looked in one of the photos).

Also, as far as the ending, I chose to save Chloe. For two reasons: 1. Max wouldn't know or possibly wouldn't even have her powers if it weren't for witnessing Chloe's death, which means the universe basically brought all this time bending poo poo on itself, and this whole apocalyptic occurrences in less than a week over one teenager not dying is just petty. Everything that would have happened if Chloe died still happens (Jefferson and Nathan getting caught), so why all this stuff? Kate Marsh originally died and you saved her, so does the universe have another temper tantrum up its sleeve on Saturday for her? And reason 2: the ending didn't play out that way, probably to seem like a real choice instead of a deus ex machina, but Max still has the option to save Chloe and then go down into town and save literally everyone. She can even save Rachel Amber if she thought about it. She could probably save Chloe's dad and prevent Chloe's accident as well. With her photo hopping ability she has the option of stopping every untimely death she's aware of.

Edit: I'm apparently late to the game.

ApathyGifted fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Jul 29, 2016

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

On the other hand, anyone who chooses to go back in time to let your best girl get murdered in a bathroom because Warren had a half-baked theory is the real monster here.

Also the game has been out for a year or something, it's safe to dispense with the spoiler tags. Anyone coming in here and reading all the way to the end of the thread and then complaining about spoilers is going to be laughed out of the forums.

ApathyGifted
Aug 30, 2004
Tomorrow?

BobTheJanitor posted:

On the other hand, anyone who chooses to go back in time to let your best girl get murdered in a bathroom because Warren had a half-baked theory is the real monster here.

Also the game has been out for a year or something, it's safe to dispense with the spoiler tags. Anyone coming in here and reading all the way to the end of the thread and then complaining about spoilers is going to be laughed out of the forums.

For some reason I keep thinking this game is only a few months old.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

It's probably been pulling in new people like me from the recent bundle/first episode being free now/summer sale so I did it for them to not be a dick.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

ApathyGifted posted:

but Max still has the option to save Chloe and then go down into town and save literally everyone. She can even save Rachel Amber if she thought about it. She could probably save Chloe's dad and prevent Chloe's accident as well. With her photo hopping ability she has the option of stopping every untimely death she's aware of.

This isn't true at all though. She can only hop into her own photographs, of which she has none left because Jefferson burnt them all. She can only go back so far and at the end she's up on top of the lighthouse cliff, and consider the fact that instead of going into town like she does in that one reality she instead goes directly to the lighthouse with Chloe. That means that the people you witness dying or who are trapped and pinned under debris are still back there without Max to save them. And they'll die because Max can't go back more than like 20 minutes of game-world time.

Also how could she save Rachel Amber, she has no photos of Rachel Amber that she herself took. And Chloe's accident happens outside of what she can affect, when she photo hops she can only go back to a small point in time within a limited area where the photo was taken. She's only present-time Max while she's there, as soon as she leaps back forward in time her unaware self takes over and she grows up to move away where she can't change anything.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

I went for selfish choice obviously, the other one sounded highly unlikely considering your experiences throughout the series show the disaster was inevitable

How does rewinding prevent a disaster supposedly caused by rewinding? And obviously there are survivors or saving them was meaningless. But then I was expecting some sort of unreliable narrator the entire game, like this was one of those stories where the protagonist has been dead or dying all along, and figured the nightmare was gonna be the reveal.

Jackard fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Jul 30, 2016

ApathyGifted
Aug 30, 2004
Tomorrow?

King Vidiot posted:

This isn't true at all though. She can only hop into her own photographs, of which she has none left because Jefferson burnt them all. She can only go back so far and at the end she's up on top of the lighthouse cliff, and consider the fact that instead of going into town like she does in that one reality she instead goes directly to the lighthouse with Chloe. That means that the people you witness dying or who are trapped and pinned under debris are still back there without Max to save them. And they'll die because Max can't go back more than like 20 minutes of game-world time.

Also how could she save Rachel Amber, she has no photos of Rachel Amber that she herself took. And Chloe's accident happens outside of what she can affect, when she photo hops she can only go back to a small point in time within a limited area where the photo was taken. She's only present-time Max while she's there, as soon as she leaps back forward in time her unaware self takes over and she grows up to move away where she can't change anything.

The game is inconsistent about the photographs. Up until she uses the butterfly picture to save the bay, she only uses photographs of her taken by other people, and one instance of a selfie. Then at the end she uses a photograph of something else (the butterfly) taken by herself. So at the surface it basically seems like she can use any photograph, or at least one she's connected to. Also I'm pretty sure her journal was only destroyed in one timeline and that she jumped into another once she used Warren's selfie in the diner. When she jumped back to the Vortex club party and told Chloe to leave, they didn't go to junkyard (otherwise Chloe would be dead) and therefore Jefferson didn't kidnap her and subsequently burn the journal.

As for saving the people in the bay, she could have used the butterfly photo to go back to the beginning, save Chloe anyway, and then have 5 days to prepare, taking as many photos as she pleases to give herself fallback points. Saving Rachel Amber? Jump back into a selfie from a few days before she disappeared and call Chloe. It would take some convincing but she could probably pull it off with a few "psychic" tricks like she used in episode 2. Same thing for Chloe's accident. Unless phones mysteriously can't reach outside of that limited space, which we see no evidence of- instead we just see contrived circumstances to keep her from intercepting Joyce's call. As displayed on screen, her power is pretty much limitless once she starts to really plan ahead with it. Unless it really is just ripping the universe a new rear end in a top hat and further usage will actually break the earth in half, but if that's the case you're screwed anyway regardless of whether or not you sacrifice Chloe because you'd have to go back and let Kate Marsh jump and probably undo dozens of other small changes to preserve the "correct" timeline.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

ApathyGifted posted:

The game is inconsistent about the photographs. Up until she uses the butterfly picture to save the bay, she only uses photographs of her taken by other people, and one instance of a selfie. Then at the end she uses a photograph of something else (the butterfly) taken by herself. So at the surface it basically seems like she can use any photograph, or at least one she's connected to. Also I'm pretty sure her journal was only destroyed in one timeline and that she jumped into another once she used Warren's selfie in the diner. When she jumped back to the Vortex club party and told Chloe to leave, they didn't go to junkyard (otherwise Chloe would be dead) and therefore Jefferson didn't kidnap her and subsequently burn the journal.

Max can only jump back to pictures of herself. She can use the butterfly one because she's in the reflection of the bucket.

ApathyGifted
Aug 30, 2004
Tomorrow?

exquisite tea posted:

Max can only jump back to pictures of herself. She can use the butterfly one because she's in the reflection of the bucket.

Good thing she constantly takes selfies then.

Also thanks for the heads up that I need to adjust the brightness on my monitor apparently.

Edit: And yeah, I forgot to account for the fact that with the pictures she's only aware in the moment, but that wouldn't stop her from going all Memento and just leaving notes to herself in her journal. Hell, she could tell herself about the photo-hopping ability a couple of days earlier.

ApathyGifted fucked around with this message at 14:02 on Jul 30, 2016

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

ApathyGifted posted:

Edit: And yeah, I forgot to account for the fact that with the pictures she's only aware in the moment, but that wouldn't stop her from going all Memento and just leaving notes to herself in her journal. Hell, she could tell herself about the photo-hopping ability a couple of days earlier.

If you pay close attention to some of the random graffiti, for example "Let Me Die / About to Die" showing up in scenes with Chloe, "this is much bigger than you," etc. there's evidence to suggest that this isn't the first timeline Max has been through, that she or someone else have indeed left clues for her to follow, and that the five-day cycle has repeated who knows how many times before you take control of Max in Life is Strange.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

To add to the hipster-ness of the game, they made some vinyls of the soundtrack.

It used to be that to get one you had to win it, now you can also get one from SE's membership program.

https://store.na.square-enix.com/product/294295/life-is-strange-soundtrack-2-vinyl-record-set-reward

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

Finished this for the first time yesterday, enjoyed it quite a bit. I feel like I lost the plot a little bit in Episode 5 though, assuming I missed something important so hopefully someone can explain (apologies if this has been covered in the thread already):

Why does ripping up your contest-winning photo land you back in the dark room, and why does it make Jefferson burn your journal? In the San Francisco timeline everyone in your texts indicates Jefferson is arrested on Tuesday or Wednesday, so how is he still free on Friday? And if ripping up the photo means you never text David, why does he show up? I could follow most of what was going on but feel like I missed why Max not handing in a contest-winning selfie cause David to push back in investigation by a few days.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Hobo Clown posted:

Finished this for the first time yesterday, enjoyed it quite a bit. I feel like I lost the plot a little bit in Episode 5 though, assuming I missed something important so hopefully someone can explain (apologies if this has been covered in the thread already):

Why does ripping up your contest-winning photo land you back in the dark room, and why does it make Jefferson burn your journal? In the San Francisco timeline everyone in your texts indicates Jefferson is arrested on Tuesday or Wednesday, so how is he still free on Friday? And if ripping up the photo means you never text David, why does he show up? I could follow most of what was going on but feel like I missed why Max not handing in a contest-winning selfie cause David to push back in investigation by a few days.

you end up back in the dark room because you never win the contest, and Jefferson, after seeing you've ripped up your photo, burns your diary after he captures you. basically, the rest of the week happens as it does in the first play through, not the alternate reality. David was going to show up on Friday originally, but Max texting him makes him show up earlier

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

morallyobjected posted:

you end up back in the dark room because you never win the contest, and Jefferson, after seeing you've ripped up your photo, burns your diary after he captures you. basically, the rest of the week happens as it does in the first play through, not the alternate reality. David was going to show up on Friday originally, but Max texting him makes him show up earlier

Ahh got it, thanks. I think I missed Jefferson's reasoning for burning her poo poo. She kept the ripped up photo in the journal and it set him off when he found it?

Also just read somewhere else that David likely found Chloe & Max's evidence board and that's what sent him to the barn, so it wasn't Max's text or dumb luck that he showed up when he did.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Sorry for bumping the thread, but I finished this and wanted to talk a little about it.

I don't know what spoiler policy is on a game this old, so let's just say I went with the "leaving town" ending. I couldn't stop Kate, so aside from Chloe's parents and Warren, I wasn't going to miss a lot of people.

My problem is that for being the first thing you see when starting up the game, the storm seems... kind of like a late addition plot device, really. I wanted some sort of conclusion where it was tied to Chloe's occasionally bipolar attitudes toward everything. Through the game she blames friends for abandoning her, blames her state of things on her dad having to go and die on her like that, she even says she wishes she could turn the town to glass. I rather the storm had been one of those "be careful what you wish for" lessons, and that it would lose strength as Chloe decided to leave or just not let lovely things that happened to her as a teenager haunt her for the rest of her life.

The whole game treats her like Kenny from South Park so I'm not surprised they did what they did, just sort of disappointed.

Other thoughts:
• It's :lol:worthy that the criminal activity behind Nathan would be busted right away if only you did nothing at all.
• I liked that the potential queer pairing was totally optional but not forgotten about, with extra moments for the people who wanted it and a believable "just friends" relationship for those who don't.
• This whole town buys so much drugs that it's amazing Frank isn't a drat drug lord kingpin; he nearly deserves a warehouse of narcotics rather than dealing out of an RV.
• There's a concept art with Max in a hospital gown with a school bus flying at her, so I assume the intention of the storm was originally something else.
• I thought somebody was going to have the power of fast forward, particularly Jefferson, and that would explain his being able to move so fast at the end of episode 4.
• Finally, it's weird that there's so many timelines but Rachel is MIA in every single one you see, like one determinedly fixed point in time.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Yeah, that moment where Max rewinds to that first day in Jefferson's class and he acts like he knows fully well what Max knows had me certain there was even more up with him than was shown. But then not really, that was it.

MeatloafCat
Apr 10, 2007
I can't think of anything to put here.
I know endingchat has been done to death, but I was a bit disappointed that they went the cliche route of timetravel is bad. I would have liked it if they made the ending work like the end of episode 2 with Kate. To me that was such a great sequence because it takes your actions and gives you consequences that actually influence the game. If you were nice and supportive then it's much easier to get a good outcome but if you messed everything up earlier it's still possible, just very difficult. Also you can fail it but the game will keep going.

I'm not exactly sure what that would look like for the game's ending though. One idea I thought of would be to have a sequence where the player sort of hands control back to Max and from there she makes her own decisions based on how we helped her grow as a person throughout the game. I also would have liked if the ending was more "accept fate" or "fight fate". So you could either let Chloe die or go back into town and try to save people from the tornado like the sequence after you escape the dark room.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Also the surreal section is the most Kojima thing I've seen from a developer that isn't Kojima. It even had some MGS bits where you basically busted if you created a !

I couldn't go with the ending where you let Chloe die because I made the mistake of drawing parallels between her and a person I know in real life, but I'm glad I watched the other ending on YouTube, because I got this and this masterpiece out of it.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe

DeathChicken posted:

Yeah, that moment where Max rewinds to that first day in Jefferson's class and he acts like he knows fully well what Max knows had me certain there was even more up with him than was shown. But then not really, that was it.

:confused: what did he do?

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Skellybones posted:

:confused: what did he do?

Yeah I don't remember that at all. I remember Jefferson being taken aback when Max calls him on being creepy with the "I could capture any one of you in a dark corner" lecture he was giving. I figured he just thought he was being careless and had to regain his composure a little more.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

I mean that conversation you have with him in place of catfighting with Victoria, where Max has four variations of "gently caress you" and he responds with something like "Careful, lots can happen in a week" in the most sinister tone he could manage without twirling a non-existent mustache.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
He probably sounded sinister because he was planning on doing a photo shoot with her later?

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
He basically suggests they'll be on a trip together soon, she says "maybe only one of us will go", and he replies as if she's being hard on herself and doesn't want to go. In that whole scene she's barely containing her rage and his responses are either aloof or casual brushing off by making her the butt of a light joke in front of everyone.

The actual subtext is a mile wide, being anywhere from "they can't animate angry faces very well" to "her anger is actually turning him on" so don't try to read too much into it.

Someone about 50 pages ago when the last chapter launched dreamed up an ending where the ghosts of dead people help Max control the twister, and it was derided in the next post as "Life is Anime." I just want to say that I would enjoy that ending but only if the spoken language shifted to Japanese without explanation halfway through.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Max should have summoned her stand, Deer Platinum to battle Jefferson and his stand, The Vortex.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Max should have jumped into some of the Seattle photos she keeps in her dorm and called Chloe, negating the feelings of abandonment that are at the root of the entire game.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Craptacular! posted:

Max should have jumped into some of the Seattle photos she keeps in her dorm and called Chloe, negating the feelings of abandonment that are at the root of the entire game.

in that timeline, Chloe gets in a fatal crash on I-5 driving up to visit Max for a week.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I'm sure most of you have already watched Stranger Things on Netflix but it hits all those same notes of "teenagers with super powers search for missing friend in a weird town with a dark history." I haven't been this into a series since, well, Life is Strange.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Mr. Belding posted:

The Walking Dead S1 got me into these types of games, so based on that I would tend to say go for it. On the other had, you say that you don't like many games in this genre. So I don't know. In general, the production values of this game are much better than the Telltale Games and the story is as good. The game really leans into its inspirations and draws heavily from Twin Peaks, David Lynch in general, Stephen King in general, and probably a bit of Catcher in the Rye. There are few bugs, but nothing to jarring.

I think it's a really great game and would recommend it with zero reservations to anyone who said they actually like the genre. I will say that there are lots of characters in this game that are easy to fall in love with. The characterizations are really well done.

it's been like a year and I just clicked on this thread and forgot i ever posted in it, but i just wanted to say that I finally got around to checking this out and I love it. already convinced a couple other people to buy it. thanks for the recommendation y'all!!

Big Hubris
Mar 8, 2011

Craptacular! posted:

This whole town buys so much drugs that it's amazing Frank isn't a drat drug lord kingpin; he nearly deserves a warehouse of narcotics rather than dealing out of an RV.

Having lived in a corrupt, dying small town, this is appropriate. Nobody wants to see their drug man get up and start making something of himself. Failure causes people to harden. Stony-hearted people are dicks. Dicks do dick things. Which causes more failure. Which leads to the entire loving town experiencing a crab-bucket failure cascade as everyone breaks off into their own suspicious groups demanding continual proof of loyalty. At this point, the world becomes high school and everyone knows that everyone else thinks they're better than them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...
I was thinking really hard about replaying this game, to the point of loading it up but wandering away from the opening menu screen for too long and then the moment was gone. Instead I ended up getting the PS4 port of Dark Cloud 2. It wasn't until like five hours in that I realized that I had subconsciously substituted another game where you play as a time traveling photographer named Max.

• Locked thread