Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Am I the only person who just straight up tells awful nerds that I'm not interested in playing with them unless a tournament dictates it, because playing with them sucks, because they're lovely sports? :confused:

You guys should try having nerds impotently hate you sometimes, it's the best.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

imperialparadox posted:

I haven't seen that level of meltdown yet, though I have come across people taking Journeyman way too seriously and getting pissy when they lose. I just don't see the point in getting worked up over a game, especially in JM league when so much is dictated as a "just because" thing for fun (list-building I mean).

It's because the less games you've played, the more there is riding on it. If you're doing a journeyman league and you lose twice to someone, you've probably literally never beaten that list before. You've got a 100% loss rate against it, and that constitutes 33% (maybe) of ALL games you've ever played.

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

Geisladisk posted:

Am I the only person who just straight up tells awful nerds that I'm not interested in playing with them unless a tournament dictates it, because playing with them sucks, because they're lovely sports? :confused:

Nah. I do this. Friendly games are supposed to be fun.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.
Just done my IFP leader, pretty pleased with the result, especially the pose.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Geisladisk posted:

i can't really do that because i work at my shop

rip

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp
The Insider with Malakov and Elara is up. It has some cool art stuff.

http://privateerpress.com/community/privateer-insider/insider-07-29-2016-doug-hamilton-and-ed-bourelle-talk-elara-and-malakov

This is too good though.

I guess this is what the "Sucker!" rule looks like.

jubelio
Dec 10, 2003
if you can balance a tac-hammer on your head, you can head off your opponent with a balanced attack

Literally The Worst posted:

rip

A fun alternative is to rattle off a laundry list of annoying things they do and ask if they want to add anything else to it for the next game or not. I mean, do it in a friendly way if possible but let them know what their reputation is.

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when
You see a Pavel like me shinin

When is the new No Quarter coming out

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp

jubelio posted:

A fun alternative is to rattle off a laundry list of annoying things they do and ask if they want to add anything else to it for the next game or not. I mean, do it in a friendly way if possible but let them know what their reputation is.

I don't know if a laundry list is necessary but that said. I remember that when I was first getting into this hobby and playing at the local game store, I would bring in a lot of negativity and kind had a chip on my shoulder about things. One day, my opponent just looked at me and said "You are kind of a bitter person" and it completely stopped me in my tracks. I did not think of myself that way, just the opposite in fact, but it made me think about how I was presenting myself to this group of people. After collecting myself, I completely changed my attitude at the store and elsewhere and was much better for it.

It was a simple thing but I am very grateful to that person who said it. Sometimes you just need to remind people that we are here to have fun and play games, and if you say something as simple as "You are not fun to be around" it may do the trick. It did for me at least.

Crazy Ferret fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Jul 29, 2016

imperialparadox
Apr 17, 2012

Don't tell me no one has told the girl she isn't exactly human!

Crazy Ferret posted:

The Insider with Malakov and Elara is up. It has some cool art stuff.

http://privateerpress.com/community/privateer-insider/insider-07-29-2016-doug-hamilton-and-ed-bourelle-talk-elara-and-malakov

This is too good though.

I guess this is what the "Sucker!" rule looks like.

The model for Elara looks cool, with a dynamic action pose.

The model for Malakov looks like somebody cosplaying Irusk.

Why couldn't the model for Malakov look like that picture where he's suckering that poor Winter Guard. I'd pay extra money for that, I don't care because it would be awesome.

head58
Apr 1, 2013

imperialparadox posted:

Why couldn't the model for Malakov look like that picture where he's suckering that poor Winter Guard. I'd pay extra money for that, I don't care because it would be awesome.

I'm already planning on modding it.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

imperialparadox posted:

The model for Elara looks cool, with a dynamic action pose.

Malikovs sculpt looks like handsome squidward

fnordcircle
Jul 7, 2004

PTUI

w00tmonger posted:

Malikovs sculpt looks like handsome squidward

Holy poo poo, please post that in the thread about this because it's amazingly dead-on.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

waah posted:

When is the new No Quarter coming out

i thought it was this week but now im not sure, i'll check ACD when i get to the store and can, y'know, access it

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk

imperialparadox posted:

He looks really easy to knock over.

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I got the new NQ at my lgs two days ago.

parabolic
Jul 21, 2005

good night, speedfriend

Why are Malakov's legs so close together, anyways? He looks sort of like he was standing to attention, but is just lazily sighting in on a target while his sword hand just drifts away. I mean, he doesn't even look like he's executing someone or participating in a battle; to the cosplay point, is this him trying out his costume in the hotel before IrusKon?

wearing a lampshade
Mar 6, 2013

malakov's pose looks like he's in the middle of doing the world's most boring pirouette. either that or the sculptor got extra meta when they decided to make it look like his feet were glued to the ground.

imperialparadox
Apr 17, 2012

Don't tell me no one has told the girl she isn't exactly human!

KPC_Mammon posted:

He looks really easy to knock over.

Just like Irusk2! He's the best cosplayer.

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
The worst part of that malakov model is the hat looks stupid. Sad day.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
Elara: Field Marshal[Retaliatory Strike]

M Bison: Feat is battlegroup models get parry, cannot be knocked down, and when damaged can make a full advance(super Enliven)

Hra Mormo
Mar 6, 2008

The Internet Man
They're both bad, Malakov is downright terrible even but Elara is missing some intangible something which could make it a really cool model. At least I could see liking that model in person if they just chose poor angles for the promo picks, but Malakov is just a swing and a miss. Although even the model isn't as bad as that concept art, did some intern straight out of high school draw that poo poo? What the hell is going on with his arm and/or face?

Kithkar
Apr 23, 2011

I'm gonna RENOVATE your ass!
I can't look at Malakov2 and not see someone repeatedly canceling a jump animation.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
The Sucker concept art should have been his model. He looks way too static.

Even when shooting a gun one-handed you don't stand flat footed.

TheInvisiblePooka
Dec 18, 2012

"Comrade... Wh... Why?" -winter guard

The model itself looks hideous. No idea what the gently caress they were doing. I pretty much agree it should have been Malakov suckering a winter guard.

The new Elara model though is pure anime. I can't wait for her to be the biggest disappointment.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Literally The Worst posted:

rip

yeah :(

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
List time! This is just something I threw together out of the CoC I have, and I generally have no idea what I'm doing, so here we go.

Forge Master Syntherion
*Prime Axiom
*Corollary
*Assimilator
*Diffuser
*Cipher
Algorithmic Dispersion Optifex
Max Reciprocators

My general hope is that the Cipher and Assimilator can handle infantry blobs if needed, the Diffuser can give me free charges for my heavies and Prime Axiom as needed for clearing heavy targets, and the Reciprocators can screen so I can deliver my slow as hell Heavies. Also it's got some nice Hot Shot targets and I have enough stuff to get a good Synergy chain going before I, say, feat and Beacon -> Charge something convenient with Prime Axiom, obliterate it with MAT 9 P+S24 drills, then fire a boosted Harpoon at their caster to drag them in for a visit to the Dentist's Drill.

Also I now want to find some way to turn my Prime Axiom into a Dentist.

Rules question - if I Harpoon something and drag it in with one of my Harpoons, can I fire the other one at something else to drag it in as well? Or does being in melee at that point preclude the second ranged attack? Additionally, if I take my free swipe at something after dragging it and crush it with my mighty drill, can I then fire my harpoon at something else, or am I then locked into melee attacks? If I take my free drag swipe can I then take my initials with my drills? Finally, if I harpoon something, drag it, miss with my free swipe, make more melee attacks and kill it, can I then go back and use my Ranged attack?

Actually more rules barrage, if I'm feating with Synth I know I can charge, melee initial, ranged initial, etc. Can I do my ranged and melee initials in whatever order I please? How do free swipes from drag fit into that? Sorry for the thousand rules questions, Prime Axiom can do some really crazy stuff and I want to make sure I've got it right.

E: ohmygod i didnt realize prime axiom can drag enemy heavies in to give them some drill funtimes and i am in love with this ridiculous thing and my entire army may become dentist themed somehow just because an army of dentist robots makes me chuckle. like they rampage across the land cleaning people's teeth and everyone is terrified of them because they hear horror stories of drills and screaming but have no idea that its just dentistry

E2: List question - I intentionally left Servitors out of my list because PA can churn them out, and I figured I could put out 1-2 of the utility servitors that are kinda handy on my first couple turns without paying for them, then start pumping out landmines to be annoying and clear infantry if I need it (I still feel like my infantry clearing is a little weak, probably because I'm used to "bring a Redeemer and don't worry about it" in Menoth)

Magres fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Jul 29, 2016

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
Although it makes me feel kind of bad sometimes, the player I hate playing against the most is new players. Too many suffer horrible decision paralysis that the game is so loving boring. I am stuck there for 3+ hours because they take forever to do anything.

No way I could be a PG.

jubelio
Dec 10, 2003
if you can balance a tac-hammer on your head, you can head off your opponent with a balanced attack

Crazy Ferret posted:

I don't know if a laundry list is necessary but that said. I remember that when I was first getting into this hobby and playing at the local game store, I would bring in a lot of negativity and kind had a chip on my shoulder about things. One day, my opponent just looked at me and said "You are kind of a bitter person" and it completely stopped me in my tracks. I did not think of myself that way, just the opposite in fact, but it made me think about how I was presenting myself to this group of people. After collecting myself, I completely changed my attitude at the store and elsewhere and was much better for it.

It was a simple thing but I am very grateful to that person who said it. Sometimes you just need to remind people that we are here to have fun and play games, and if you say something as simple as "You are not fun to be around" it may do the trick. It did for me at least.

Thats pretty cool. I usually dont stand there and unfurl my list of misdeeds unless its one of a few of my friends that know they are contentiously bad mannered. It's kinda like the lead up to a wrestling match and they know they are the heel so they play it up pretty spectacularly.

fnordcircle
Jul 7, 2004

PTUI

Khisanth Magus posted:

Elara: Field Marshal[Retaliatory Strike]

M Bison: Feat is battlegroup models get parry, cannot be knocked down, and when damaged can make a full advance(super Enliven)

Parry for speed 4 models, heh ok.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~

fnordcircle posted:

Wow that's a pretty good feat if he's got other Jack support.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

fnordcircle posted:

Holy poo poo, please post that in the thread about this because it's amazingly dead-on.

I'm ready

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

fnordcircle posted:

The parry is mostly for the whole "fill advance when taking damage" thing. It is like the old enliven, enemies will only get one hit off unless they can box your warjack in.

wearing a lampshade
Mar 6, 2013

:stonklol:

Here's a dumb harkevich list. Slam things out of zones for free, kill the rest.

War Room Army

Khador - THE SLAM SECTOR

Theme: No Theme Selected
75 / 75 Army

Kommander Harkevich, The Iron Wolf - WJ: +28
- War Dog - PC: 3
- Marauder - PC: 10 (Battlegroup Points Used: 10)
- Marauder - PC: 10 (Battlegroup Points Used: 10)
- Marauder - PC: 10 (Battlegroup Points Used: 8)
- Marauder - PC: 10
- Rager - PC: 11
- Kodiak - PC: 13
- Juggernaut - PC: 12
- Juggernaut - PC: 12

Kell Bailoch - PC: 5

Greylord Ternion - Leader & 2 Grunts: 7

---

GENERATED : 07/29/2016 19:00:39
BUILD ID : 2022.16-07-07

Actually going to try this out for a tournament. Its so dumb it might actually be a good drop for jack/beast heavy lists.

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
Is Harkevich without any gun jacks really all that useful?

TheInvisiblePooka posted:

The new Elara model though is pure anime. I can't wait for her to be the biggest disappointment.

I like her goggles! Gonna be a nightmare for people to try to paint the glass so you can see the eyes behind them, though.

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
Poorly Assembled Chimera

Frozen Chimera

Hopefully the superglue will get brittle and I can get that pad off. I don't even care about the moldlines, that pad is driving me nuts.

wearing a lampshade
Mar 6, 2013

gannyGrabber posted:

Is Harkevich without any gun jacks really all that useful?

Yes. Kodiak run 14" first turn. Jacks can trample 9", repo 3". Feat turn they charge/slam for free - so extra focus for attacks or boosting to hit - and they gain +3 arm. The free ranged attacks only works imo with victor or conquest, where drifting an aoe ain't all that bad and you're bringing Kapitans anyway. Black Ivan is an exception to that, but tbh he's almost two marauders.

I mean its all theory for me rn, but it's a load of sp6 pathfinder khador heavies that need no real extra help in general. Marauder bowling is basically fixing to hit for other heavies in itself. The only real areas I could see the list suffering in is high arm infantry spam - tho another version of this list had only devastators instead.

Gr4vyB04t
Jan 31, 2010

Hey gurl, hey.
Got a "bonus" at work that was paid out in Amazon Gift Cards so I decided to blow it on warmans including my boy Big Rezzy. What do we think?

Servath Reznik, Wrath of Ages - WJ: +29
- Madelyn Corbeau, Ordic Courtesan - PC: 4
- Scourge of Heresy - PC: 16 (Battlegroup Points Used: 16)
- Templar - PC: 15 (Battlegroup Points Used: 13)
- Templar - PC: 15
- Devout - PC: 9

Vassal Mechanik - PC: 1
Vassal Mechanik - PC: 1

Idrian Skirmishers - Leader & 9 Grunts: 15
- Idrian Skirmisher Chieftain & Guide - Chieftain & Guide: 5
Choir of Menoth - Leader & 5 Grunts: 6
Flame Bringers - Leader & 4 Grunts: 17

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

Has anyone painted any Aradus Sentinels or Soldiers? I googled it but all I found were studio paint schemes and ones painted like old school Tyranids.

I've got a soft spot for old school 40K bugs. I painted a whole poo poo ton of them back in the day and I wouldn't mind painting a couple more but they definitely would not match the rest of my army. I'm looking for options.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when
You see a Pavel like me shinin

GoodBee posted:

Has anyone painted any Aradus Sentinels or Soldiers? I googled it but all I found were studio paint schemes and ones painted like old school Tyranids.

I've got a soft spot for old school 40K bugs. I painted a whole poo poo ton of them back in the day and I wouldn't mind painting a couple more but they definitely would not match the rest of my army. I'm looking for options.

Lemme know.what you go with. I been looking but I cant decide and with the Sentinel being pretty hard for me to justify in my lists, it has taken a backseat.

At first I wanted to do a glossy black like a scorpion, but I don't think I have the talent for that. I will probably go with a very dark brown but I still don't like that idea honestly.