Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Ce qui s'est passé t'a rendu plus fort

YF-23 posted:

I don't know the explicit demographic history of Narva and the surrounding region, but for Northern Cyprus you are partially wrong. It wasn't as monolithic before the population exchange for sure, but there was a Turkish-Cypriot community before then. In either case it is far too late to change what happened 60 years ago. You cannot take back Stalinist relocations, you can't take back the Turkish invasion of northern Cyprus, and you certainly can't take back the 60 years of people being born, growing up, living and dying in those places.

The big difference, since you asked for it, is that you presented me with a hypothetical perfectly democratic procedure in Narva that would take place today, with the invasion of Cyprus. I would like to think there's a difference between those.

Yes but the invasion isn't happening now, is it? It is a past event just like the Soviet relocation was. As you say, people are being born, growing up, living and dying in Northern Cyprus. Those who were born after the invasion already have children. In ten years they'll have grandchildren. To adapt my previous question, imagine this situation:

The year is 2016. Unhappy with the status quo, the citizens of Northern Cyprus hold a referendum with two options. a) unite with Cyprus or b) unite with Turkey. Cypriot government condemns the referendum. The results are overwhelmingly in favor of Unite With Turkey and that's confirmed by various polls and surveys. Cypriot government doesn't recognize referendum results. Is this a legitimate demand by the people of Northern Cyprus?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Yes.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
If a minority aren't allowed to work for independence because their forefathers got the plot of land they're claiming for their own by undemocratic means I suppose we would end up with literally every independence movement ever being illegitimate, yes. I don't really see why this conclusion is useful in any way, though.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Cerebral Bore posted:

If a minority aren't allowed to work for independence because their forefathers got the plot of land they're claiming for their own by undemocratic means I suppose we would end up with literally every independence movement ever being illegitimate, yes. I don't really see why this conclusion is useful in any way, though.
If they got the land by imperialist means and the nation state that represents them already exists. Also, it's not like literally every place is populated by conquerors, some places were actually empty at the point at which the current inhabitants moved in.

Dawncloack
Nov 26, 2007
ECKS DEE!
Nap Ghost

flavor posted:

Your butthurt posts when people aren't following your lunatic opinion on that separatist issue are just textbook examples for cheerleading and calling for lynch mobs on people with different opinions. Oooooooh look, somebody not completely on board with the Holy Separation From Spain, probably paid by the Spanish government, hey thread, let's gang up!
Hahahahahaha you are hilarious. I love you too.

flavor posted:

Address the sovereign citizen comparison instead, I'm very interested.
No. Unless you come to my house, I set up a literal strawman for you and you attack it with a club I will not.

flavor posted:

Also I'd be really interested to know why Europe desperately needs more small countries.
This doesn't even make sense.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

A Buttery Pastry posted:

If they got the land by imperialist means and the nation state that represents them already exists. Also, it's not like literally every place is populated by conquerors, some places were actually empty at the point at which the current inhabitants moved in.

Insisting that a minority can be denied their rights because a nation-state for them already exists somewhere is an idea with a pretty drat bad track record. Just sayin'.

Also there has never actually been a land without people of any significant size unless we go back to right after the last ice age.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Cerebral Bore posted:

Insisting that a minority can be denied their rights because a nation-state for them already exists somewhere is an idea with a pretty drat bad track record. Just sayin'.
Denied a single right so as to not encourage far greater crimes in the future.

Cerebral Bore posted:

Also there has never actually been a land without people of any significant size unless we go back to right after the last ice age.
Large parts of Central/Eastern/Northern Europe were either empty, or so sparsely inhabited that the locals were assimilated into the newcomers, meaning they retained the claim to the land through their descendants.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Cerebral Bore posted:

The Falklands.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

So if it's racist to not let in >2% of your population in asylum seekers, what's the not-racist playbook look like?

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Arglebargle III posted:

So if it's racist to not let in >2% of your population in asylum seekers, what's the not-racist playbook look like?

free movement of people

throw to first DAMN IT
Apr 10, 2007
This whole thread has been raging at the people who don't want Saracen invasion to their homes

Perhaps you too should be more accepting of their cultures

Arglebargle III posted:

Finland is running in problem with this because majority of asylum seekers who come here leave voluntarily after couple days. Apparently dodging bombs and ISIS death squads is better than living in Finland. How can we fulfill our multicultural duty like this? The only solution I can see is to force them to stay.

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

I don't agree with you but I appreciate the consistency.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Y'know, when you're called out for supporting arbitrary restrictions on human rights you're not supposed to double down on it.

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Large parts of Central/Eastern/Northern Europe were either empty, or so sparsely inhabited that the locals were assimilated into the newcomers, meaning they retained the claim to the land through their descendants.

Look, if you want to set some arbitrary cutoff point for when a group of people get to claim a land as their own, then just do it. Don't start some kind of convoluted and ahistorical bullshit please.

blowfish posted:

The Falklands.

Seems like your pedantry is only exceeded by your inability to understand plain english.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

icantfindaname posted:

free movement of people

What does that look like?

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Arglebargle III posted:

I'm not sure what racism has to do with anything, but if you are talking about the 2015 refugee wave, the two options back then were to either let people move in or to gun them down at the border(as was proposed by AfD& Co.) until we can get the walls and minefields up.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Arglebargle III posted:

What does that look like?

Open borders to economic migrants and refugees of any kind. You could refuse people for pressing and extraordinary reasons like them being known criminals or disease control or whatever without being racist, but rejecting people for cultural reasons is racist, yes

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

icantfindaname posted:

Open borders to economic migrants and refugees of any kind. You could refuse people for pressing and extraordinary reasons like them being known criminals or disease control or whatever without being racist, but rejecting people for cultural reasons is racist, yes

Sounds like a suicide pact vision of liberalism.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Sinteres posted:

It's what you do for people inside your borders, and, if in the EU, other EU countries. What makes people on the other side of an arbitrary line different?

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Nitrousoxide posted:

It's what you do for people inside your borders, and, if in the EU, other EU countries. What makes people on the other side of an arbitrary line different?

Many of us complain about the conservative shitheads we have to deal with in our own countries too, and in Scotland's case that's even helped to fuel their independence movement. A whole lot of the world isn't particularly liberal or tolerant, particularly the places people would like to leave, and there's plenty of reason to think throwing open every border would lead to a decline in liberal values in host countries, both as a native reaction against their new reality (which we're already seeing in Europe and the US in a far less dramatic scenario) and from new voters who don't share those values. If the Baltics threw open their borders tomorrow, for example, I have a feeling they might see a sudden influx of Russians which could easily prove to be destabilizing down the road.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Sinteres posted:

Many of us complain about the conservative shitheads we have to deal with in our own countries too, and in Scotland's case that's even helped to fuel their independence movement. A whole lot of the world isn't particularly liberal or tolerant, particularly the places people would like to leave, and there's plenty of reason to think throwing open every border would lead to a decline in liberal values in host countries, both as a native reaction against their new reality (which we're already seeing in Europe and the US in a far less dramatic scenario) and from new voters who don't share those values. If the Baltics threw open their borders tomorrow, for example, I have a feeling they might see a sudden influx of Russians which could easily prove to be destabilizing down the road.

Strange, how in the US Muslims are in the same category of highly liberal-value-supporting religious groups as atheists, agnostics, Jews, and Buddhists, but in Europe they're apparently all far-right. I wonder what the difference is here.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Sinteres posted:

If you consider liberalism to be a weak, degenerate ideology that cannot survive in the wild sure. It seems a very strong vote of no confidence in liberalism to suggest that it can't handle the stress generated by implementing one of its core principles

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Brainiac Five posted:

Strange, how in the US Muslims are in the same category of highly liberal-value-supporting religious groups as atheists, agnostics, Jews, and Buddhists, but in Europe they're apparently all far-right. I wonder what the difference is here.

The US got disproportionately well-off and educated immigrants, because it's not cheap or easy for people to cross an ocean. Country of origin matters too, and I expect there would be a significant difference in the countries contributing to US vs European Muslim populations. I'd imagine that comprising a smaller share of the total population and not concentrating so dramatically in neighborhoods as you might see in France has also contributed to the difference, as there's more culture drift from interaction with outside groups.

icantfindaname posted:

If you consider liberalism to be a weak, degenerate ideology that cannot survive in the wild sure. It seems a very strong vote of no confidence in liberalism to suggest that it can't handle the stress generated by implementing one of its core principles

I don't really know many liberal absolutists, but just as soon as we achieve totally unregulated markets and a totally just and fair society I'm sure we'll be ready for totally open borders as well.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Sinteres posted:

totally unregulated markets and a totally just and fair society

i have spotted a contradiction

also golly I wonder why Muslims are less than enthusiastic about Europe

I mean the US is absolutely no saint in that regard as well, but at least SOME of the population treats them like human beings which is sadly a lot better than they get elsewhere.

(also interesting how the problem is "muslims" without any specifics, where are they coming from? idk Muslimland)

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

we've made it son, finally, after all the horrors we have seen, we have finally reached peace and freedom

A Buttery Pastry posted:

or business as usual, i guess.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Yinlock posted:

i have spotted a contradiction

:thejoke: Turns out absolutist liberalism isn't actually a good thing!

Yinlock posted:

(also interesting how the problem is "muslims" without any specifics, where are they coming from? idk Muslimland)

I don't think Muslims as a group are a problem, which is why I never said that they are. The lovely conservative religious culture in many of the Arab states in particular is a problem though, which is why I indicated that country of origin matters. Surprisingly enough, religious countries that oppress women, homosexuals, trans people and religious minorities have some citizens who don't fit in naturally on day one in the relatively secular West, and unchecked immigration from those countries might cause some problems. That doesn't mean there shouldn't be any, but the idea that was promoted here that there's no such thing as too high a level is really dumb; of course culture shock can be disruptive.

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax

Yinlock posted:

also golly I wonder why Muslims are less than enthusiastic about Europe

I mean the US is absolutely no saint in that regard as well, but at least SOME of the population treats them like human beings which is sadly a lot better than they get elsewhere.

There are more Muslims in "muslimland" as you put it than there are Europeans globally.

I wonder who treats Muslims badly in Muslimland countries.

Perhaps the Swedes?

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Ligur posted:

There are more Muslims in "muslimland" as you put it than there are Europeans globally.

I wonder who treats Muslims badly in Muslimland countries.

Perhaps the Swedes?

You're absolutely right, because people from other countries were treated extremely poorly in those countries, that completely justifies treating them poorly elsewhere.

This is a fantastic point and definitely not one of the go-to arguments for justifying slavery.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Cerebral Bore posted:

Y'know, when you're called out for supporting arbitrary restrictions on human rights you're not supposed to double down on it.
It's not arbitrary to put a limit on the right to self-determination based on whether your ethnic dominance in a region is due to a crime against humanity or not.

Cerebral Bore posted:

Look, if you want to set some arbitrary cutoff point for when a group of people get to claim a land as their own, then just do it. Don't start some kind of convoluted and ahistorical bullshit please.
Convoluted? Saying that those areas were sparsely populated is hardly convoluted, nor is saying that any people that did live there were assimilated. But, if you want to a solid rule that doesn't drag all of history into it, how about this: No right to self-determination if your ethnicity holds dominance in a region due to actions carried out by an extant state, or one of its predecessors.

Brainiac Five posted:

The US gets to pick and choose?

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Full free movement of the people works if you are fine with the refugees living in the streets and starving, it's less fine when you if actually want to feed, clothe and offer them a place to live.

Andrast fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Jul 30, 2016

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Palestine and South Africa too.

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

icantfindaname posted:

Has there ever been a country, in any period of history, that allowed foreigners to come in in unlimited numbers, for indefinite time, regardless of their national/religious background and regardless of their motivation?

Doctor Malaver fucked around with this message at 09:45 on Jul 30, 2016

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Doctor Malaver posted:

Has there ever been a country, in any period of history, that allowed foreigners to come in in unlimited numbers, for indefinite time, regardless of their national/religious background and regardless of their motivation?

The USA and a bunch of South American countries, at least before 1924 and ignoring Chinese

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.
The problem with these "open border" policies is that they are incompatible with the modern (European) welfare state especially since to cost of relocating has decreased drastically.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦

Andrast posted:

Full free movement of the people works if you are fine with the refugees living in the streets and starving,

Not really, because it is ultimately more expensive to have homeless starving people disrupting society than it is to provide them with food and housing.

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax

doverhog posted:

Not really, because it is ultimately more expensive to have homeless starving people disrupting society than it is to provide them with food and housing.

Indeed, everywhere where there are homeless or hungry people, it is just because the goverment doesn't want to save money by giving them houses and food and stuff, simply out of malice.

OH COME ON DOVERHOG.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Brainiac Five posted:

What a surprise, the guys from some backward countryside bled who were raised in a highly more conservative environment, got a poor level of education and poor prospect to make it in America prefer to cross the Mediterranean sea to Europe while the well educated urban students that learned some English, got some technical skills and enough money to cross the Atlantic Ocean, rush toward America.

Toplowtech fucked around with this message at 13:01 on Jul 30, 2016

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Ligur posted:

Indeed, everywhere where there are homeless or hungry people, it is just because the goverment doesn't want to save money by giving them houses and food and stuff, simply out of malice.

OH COME ON DOVERHOG.

No, it's because free housing is socialism/communism/satanism/etc.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦

Ligur posted:

It's cheaper to maintain a functioning peaceful society with social programs than it is with cops and prisons. Are you disputing this?

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Good point to bring up the fact that according to the OECD, the US are the second largest spender on social programs after France(by % of GDP). They are just an extremely inefficient spender, similar to how they handle health care.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nyarlothotep
Apr 14, 2007
Don't fail to see Nyarlathotep if he comes to Providence. He is horrible — horrible beyond anything you can imagine — but wonderful. He haunts one for hours afterward. I am still shuddering at what he showed.

doverhog posted:

It's cheaper to maintain a functioning peaceful society with social programs than it is with cops and prisons. Are you disputing this?

Just because it's objectively cheaper won't mean the 'fiscally responsible' right won't be vehemently against it.