Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Yeah, it takes a bit to get used to. I'm not good by any stretch, but I have my moments. I'm only at tier IV or so but even at that level people tend to cooperate with each other. Well, sometimes. The chat though..... rarely see people flipping the gently caress out. Again, it's low tier. Just a few days ago someone saw me do something stupid and called me out on it in a casual way.... BUT, I said I was new and then gave me some encouraging advice. I was taken aback.

Also, the entire game of ships is a lot like arty, so I seem to do ok.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Yeah, I do really well hitting shots, it's basically like hitting a maus with a pre-nerf 261. I'm just bad at the rest of it. I'd be willing to give it a shot again. I just need to buy a new mic, my wife thought mine was trash and threw it out.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Congrats btw. Also, sever.

edit: the HE/AP thing is weird. I use HE most of the time. If you are a destroyer.... don't even bother trying to pen a BB. Even CVs can be iffy. Use torpedoes. I don't like DDs though. I use HE until I get very close. And when I do, I aim for the waterline. Setting them on fire with HE is great. Flooding them with AP is good also, but sometimes if you have too much pen, it will go straight through the ship and not do much internal damage. It's weird and I don't get it. :shrug:

edit 2: gently caress, new minor patch.... have to spend 15 minutes configuring Aslain's.

edit 3: wtf? every option on Aslain's is greyed out. Did this patch disable mods?

Pennywise the Frown fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Jul 29, 2016

Fat Jesus
Jul 13, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2023

aslains has only the xvm bits greyed out, which is the top half of it so scroll down thru the options and there's some mods. I just reinstalled winders10 and foolishly reinstalled tanks and it seems something something changed to make xvm hard to get working, hosed if I know, took me all day to get loving steam to work

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Ok, I just did a quick scroll through. I'll have to check again. Thanks bud.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot
i'm back, and the players still suck, huzzah!

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

22 Eargesplitten posted:

How do you flip a tank? Just push up against it slowly?

Darkrenown posted:

Tried playing some AMX 30:
http://imgur.com/a/EcVDX

E: Holy poo poo, maybe the WoWS team sucks less than the WoT one? Besides giving everyone 6th sense for free now they also reduced the cost of retraining to 1g per skill point for a while and gave everyone 100g so that you can reset your captains if you want, but don't gently caress with you if you don't, AND MM changes:

quote:

Tier I-IV ships: will get into battles with opponents only one Tier higher
Tier V+ ships: will get into battles with opponents up to two Tiers higher (or lower)
Only one aircraft carrier will be available per team, for battles where the maximum Tier ship is one of the following: Tier VIII, IX or X.

Now the matchmaker will try to uniformly distribute ships of different nations between the teams. For example, if two Soviet Gnevny destroyers and two Japanese Minekaze destroyers are present, the matchmaker will attempt to put one destroyer of each nation on each team. This rule will positively affect the quality of team balancing and make battles more even.

Darkrenown fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Jul 30, 2016

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD

Darkrenown posted:

E: Holy poo poo, maybe the WoWS team sucks less than the WoT one? Besides giving everyone 6th sense for free now they also reduced the cost of retraining to 1g per skill point for a while and gave everyone 100g so that you can reset your captains if you want, but don't gently caress with you if you don't, AND MM changes:

Yeah, the boats team actually listened when people spoke up about their concerns with destroyer captains and the skill change from Situational Awareness (the WoWS Sixth Sense). Giving it to everyone for free makes loads of sense, and giving people cheap respecs and free gold to do it with is above and beyond what most people were asking for. They've done a great job, in my opinion.

Anyways, back to tanks. I'm starting to get some of the feel of the SU-85, but I'll be damned if I still gently caress up royally and have 0 damage matches. Its painful to get put in T6-7 matches and then get one-shot by all the tanks with 300+ damage guns like the KV-85. Though I imagine I'll love the KV-85 once I get one... :getin:

Starting to learn max spotting range and max draw distance, and how to utilize those two limits to make it harder for me to get sniped at when I'm setting up. Not having Sixth Sense on this TD means I have to play pretty cautiously.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
They're listening more on WoWS because it has more exposure than WoWP did - WoWP peaked and quickly died as soon as that E3 event was done. WoT is already an 'established' IP. The most we're getting nowadays are missions and boosters with the occasional anniversary or New Year's tank. No more promo codes unless you're a new sucker player.

It is genius of them to offer boosters for sale for gold. Someone had a real brain wave as to how to get people to exhaust their stockpiles. Too bad they're only selling the lovely ones.

primelaw
Apr 4, 2012

The most southern dandy robot judge

Agrajag posted:

i'm back, and the players still suck, huzzah!

A few of us got a pretty neat tank while you were gone.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

primelaw posted:

A few of us got a pretty neat tank while you were gone.

You're welcome, Primelaw, Desuwa, Steelion, and Tsuru.

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009

BIG HEADLINE posted:

It is genius of them to offer boosters for sale for gold. Someone had a real brain wave as to how to get people to exhaust their stockpiles. Too bad they're only selling the lovely ones.
The 2h +25% exp one doesn't even make sense. It's better to get two 1h +25% exp since the overall cost exactly the same and the bonus doesn't stack. That way you can take a break in between and as long as you start a game in the time period you can get the bonus so the two 1h ones give you more time overall.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Zettace posted:

The 2h +25% exp one doesn't even make sense. It's better to get two 1h +25% exp since the overall cost exactly the same and the bonus doesn't stack. That way you can take a break in between and as long as you start a game in the time period you can get the bonus so the two 1h ones give you more time overall.

It doesn't have to make sense - people are irrational. If anything, the boosters encourage really lovely play, since it's better to go for short, blaze-of-glory runs since you need to maximize your usage of the booster. It doesn't make any sense to use them and spend 7-15 minutes on each game.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

22 Eargesplitten posted:

How do you flip a tank? Just push up against it slowly?

You have to get it to drive one side up something that acts as a ramp, so you either have to push into him close to a wall/rock/whatever, or more likely use 2-3 platoonmates to do the same. I'm not saying it's easy, but it's doable and there's no automatic punishment like the TD/TK system.

M.C. McMic
Nov 8, 2008

The Weight room
Is your friend
Just grabbed the OM Modpack. There's quite a bit of stuff grayed out still, but pretty much everything I use is enabled:

XVM (light is enabled)
Battle Assistant
Autoaim Assist
Zoom Out mod
Icons (some are enabled, others are not)

I'm good with that. I updated the mods and then didn't actually play. Success.

Szcwczuk
Dec 20, 2011

I ruin everything
p cool Q&A

https://www.reddit.com/r/WorldofTanks/comments/4vbnti/translated_slava_makarovs_answers_from_the_recent/

Valle
Apr 16, 2004

Telling customers how to solve world problems since 2001

BIG HEADLINE posted:

It doesn't have to make sense - people are irrational. If anything, the boosters encourage really lovely play, since it's better to go for short, blaze-of-glory runs since you need to maximize your usage of the booster. It doesn't make any sense to use them and spend 7-15 minutes on each game.

Quixperience! :eng101:

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

quote:

The veteran mapmaker Henrich Kravtsov is back in the team
well hey maybe we'll get some better maps no-

quote:

(creator of Himmelsdorf, Karelia and others)
hrm

quote:

While they are trying to coordinate their actions about different things, maps are going to be reworked first

i'm gonna say that this is do or die. if they make/unfuck us some good maps that would make a world of difference from the slow slide towards death they're currently in. if they just make karelia 5.0 - now with more dumb rocks, not so much.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Karelia and Himmelsdorf are currently some of the best maps in the game

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
Well, if the q&a is true and the reason things have been slow at wargaming is because there is an internal audit on fixing stuff, then they are doing better than CCP. Instead of waiting for a summer of rage to realize they done hosed up, they figured it out before then. Possibly discovered sooner because f2p games are quick to point out when people lose interest and stop paying.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

So I'm trying my first tournament ever in this game. So far I keep getting technical draws. I'm in my Tier 3 arty, and hitting ready but nothing happens. I'm assuming my opponent is not logged in. So you basically get a loss if your opponent isn't there?

E: I just got an actual loss, 1-0 "Technical Defeat", never left the garage.

E2: I wasn't moving from the Queue to whatever I'm supposed to be in. gently caress. Years of WoW PvP made me associate the word "Queue" with nothing to do now but wait.

Bulky Bartokomous fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Jul 30, 2016

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

Control Volume posted:

damning criticism

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Control Volume posted:

this is the worst truth

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
Finished the A-43 with a 60% WR, but only about 800 average damage. Fun tank overall after unfucking the things I was doing wrong.

Unlocked and bought the A-44, god help me. Put rammer, GLD and vents on it, probably should have gone with optics?

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Unlocked and bought the A-44, god help me. Put rammer, GLD and vents on it, probably should have gone with optics?

Honestly? Put Rammer, Binocs, GLD and play the A-44 as the most inconsistent TD/passive scout. The tank simply cannot take a hit without risking total destruction, so you might as well play like a really lovely Waffentrager.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
T-30

Queue:
T-60
17-pounder

Available for request:

:911:
T2E1 Light Tank
Christie Combat Car T1 and Convertible Medium Tank T3

:britain:
Medium Tank Mk.II

:ussr:
LTP
T-37 with ShKAS
ZIK-20
T-12 and T-24
T-55
HTZ-16NEW

:sweden:
Otto Merker's tanks
Strv 74

:poland:
7TP
TK-3/TKS
Trials of the TKS and C2P in the USSR NEW

:japan:
SR tanks
Type 95

:france:
Renault NC
Renault D1
Renault R35
Renault D2

:godwin:
PzI NEW
PzIII Ausf. A
Renault R35 in German service

Ensign Expendable fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Aug 1, 2016

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

So the 113 sides were buffed quite a bit going to HD.

113 pretty stonk now drat. Lower plate still means broken ammo gas and dead everyone.

BadLlama fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Jul 30, 2016

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Finished the A-43 with a 60% WR, but only about 800 average damage. Fun tank overall after unfucking the things I was doing wrong.

Hellsau posted:

Honestly? Put Rammer, Binocs, GLD and play the A-44 as the most inconsistent TD/passive scout. The tank simply cannot take a hit without risking total destruction, so you might as well play like a really lovely Waffentrager.

I "like" my chaos build for the A-44: Rammer/Spall Liner/Vents. Maximize DPM and basically rush to where light tanks might try to scout, ram/shotgun them with your blunderbuss, then run away, rinse and repeat ambushes as necessary. It's much more survivable with the spall liner and the poo poo gun means binos/GLD only help a little when you can't hit something greater than 50m away. So far 60% winrate and I'm on the cusp of unlocking the Object.

This is not the right answer, but it is the most fun answer. I never thought I would hear bulldogs screaming in all chat "loving A-44s" until I tried playing as a counter-scout.

Edit:

August missions are here, be in the top 3 in xp at tier 9 and get a ticket (one a day). Get 25 tickets and you can get a type 64, SU-100Y, or a Skoda T-40. Details here:

http://worldoftanks.com/en/news/pc-browser/18/summer-play-aug/

Blindeye fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Jul 31, 2016

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Valle posted:

Quixperience! :eng101:

It would be nice if they just gave you single-use x3/x5 boosters for logging in every day of a special that you could use whenever, or put a month long expiration date on them.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Sooooo... you have to play at least 25 days in August, and be in the top 3, at tier 9.

Sign me up!

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Pennywise the Frown posted:

Sooooo... you have to play at least 25 days in August, and be in the top 3, at tier 9.

Sign me up!

Well the rewards are a substantial increase over the last ones - instead of a choice of some tier 5 premiums that are 750 gold on sale, you get a choice on the SU-100Y, which is hilarious, or the Skoda T40 or Type 64, which are both adequate for tier 6 strongholds.

assuming, of course, that it doesn't take 37 tickets to get to the point where you can pick a tank....

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Hellsau posted:

Well the rewards are a substantial increase over the last ones - instead of a choice of some tier 5 premiums that are 750 gold on sale, you get a choice on the SU-100Y, which is hilarious, or the Skoda T40 or Type 64, which are both adequate for tier 6 strongholds.

assuming, of course, that it doesn't take 37 tickets to get to the point where you can pick a tank....

But you have to play tanks everyday.

Risk vs. Rewards.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Pennywise the Frown posted:

But you have to play tanks everyday.

Risk vs. Rewards.

I've made worse decisions before, and I'll make worse ones yet!

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Hellsau posted:

I've made worse decisions before, and I'll make worse ones yet!

:respek:

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Today we learned that a Ferdi can flank a T95! :toot:

Also, what happens when you message a worthless coward for throwing a winnable match?

quote:

AtomizerX (2:14:47 AM) hey shitlord, you basically threw that match for us
AtomizerX (2:14:54 AM) you needed to drive the gently caress in and spot them so we could reset
AtomizerX (2:15:01 AM) and instead you sat back like a worthless coward
AtomizerX (2:15:06 AM) 1 shot, 0 hits, 0 damage
AtomizerX (2:15:14 AM) pathetic, uninstall you worthless shitbag
Ghos_Martell (2:18:53 AM) Me vales verga puto gringo de mierda, que te metan 8 penes por tu puto culo blanco
Ghos_Martell (2:20:07 AM) Juego como se me da la puta gana, si no te parece sólo cierra el hocico, hijo de las mil putas, de seguro tu mamá te pario por el culo, me cago en tus muertos
AtomizerX (2:21:56 AM) we're gonna build a wall to keep you illegals out

Welp~

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Atomizer posted:

Also, what happens when you message a worthless coward for throwing a winnable match?

Welp~

You should be ashamed of your terrible trash talk and race baiting. Shameful. Please stop bullying ghosts named Martell.

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!

Hellsau posted:

Actually, dumb question but can you bank tickets? I have 25 from July and the only thing vaguely tempting is the Excelsior, but I don't have a type 64 or the Skoda.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Atomizer posted:

Welp~

I loving cock vouchers loving gringo , you mess 8 penises your loving white rear end
Play as given me the loving win, if you do not think just close the snout , son of a thousand whores , surely I pario your mom in the rear end , I poo poo on your dead

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
Uuuuuugh, the A-44 is every bit as insufferable as people said it would be, but at least I realized I was too dumb to buy the top engine.

An extra 100 hp should at least make this shitbox a little more mobile.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Once again someone posts a chatlog where they get owned by a spanish speaker telling them they can take up to 8 dicks up the bumhole