Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
Sounds like I want to buy the V20 book alone for mechanics and then the bundle because I just like the setting and clanbooks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

minidracula
Dec 22, 2007

boo woo boo
I think the Humble RPG Book Bundle has me hook, line, and sinker on pure nostalgia alone. Which, come to think of it, seems to be the reason I buy any RPG stuff these days (read: for the last eight years or so)...

I think Revised is newer than what I remember of Vampire (Assamites still had the curse, IIRC...), but man, Book of Nod, etc. brings back some game playing memories.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
And as if in response to me recommending it elsethread, Hillfolk is on the Bundle of Holding.

minidracula
Dec 22, 2007

boo woo boo

Alien Rope Burn posted:

And as if in response to me recommending it elsethread, Hillfolk is on the Bundle of Holding.
Yeah, funny you mention it, since after looking at the Humble bundle, I checked out what was new on BoH and saw Hillfolk there.

I know nothing about it and was about to ask here; can anyone enlighten me?

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

minidracula posted:

Yeah, funny you mention it, since after looking at the Humble bundle, I checked out what was new on BoH and saw Hillfolk there.

I know nothing about it and was about to ask here; can anyone enlighten me?

HIllfolk and Blood on the Snow are the two core Dramasystem books, which give you the Dramasystem rules and a shitload of settings to use those rules in.

Dramasystem is a ruleset that focuses on dramatic storytelling and doesn't involve a ton of dice rolling. This sums it up pretty well.

quote:

A majority of the scenes in DramaSystem are expected to be, well, dramatic, with characters pushing and pulling on each others’ motivations. Each scene is set by a player in turn, with their character trying to get something from another. If the petition is granted, the player whose character yielded gets a Drama token; if the petition is refused, the one who was turned down gets the Drama token. In other words, you either get what you want or get a Drama token as consolation prize. Drama tokens can be used to force concessions later, to crash a scene where your character was not invited or, on the contrary, to avoid a scene you are called to, and so forth.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
I backed Hillfolk for the sole purpose of helping to encourage Laws that a FS2 Kickstarter would be viable. I absolutely hate the system and the concept, but I am a diehard grog so that's probably expected. The book is very lovely and is well organized. There are plenty of clearly written examples and the the supplement has tons of alternative settings and 'dramatic' groups. All in all a good choice if you like creating interpersonal scenes rather than engaging in external conflict.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
I ran Hillfolk demos for Pelgrane, and honestly it's a blast... but if you're haven't seen it in action, it's hard to describe. Basically players take turns setting scenes in which they engage another player for something they want. If they give up what the initial player wants, they get a token. Tokens can be later used to force the narrative, forcing somebody else to give you what you want, busting in on other people's scenes, etc.

Basically one of the issues with running dramatic scenes in RPGs is that most people have no reason to concede anything they don't want to or make decisions that aren't immediately in their best interest. Dramasystem is mainly designed to reward you for letting people push you into questionable decisions, like what happens in drama or in real life. A lot of the game deals with the competitive back-and-forth between players and unlike a conventional RPG, the GM is there to provide crises and dilemmas but doesn't really dictate the game. In many ways, the GM is like a fill-in player for anything the normal players can't just decide between themselves, running bit parts, adjudicating dramatic tasks, providing hooks, but often as a GM you're just watching the interplay and acting as an impartial judge for a good chunk of the session.

It may not seem exciting but every game I've run, people get passionate about their roles and it's really something to see. Explaining it doesn't really do justice to how well it works and how quickly people can slip into antagonistic or cooperative relationships. While the actual resolution system isn't much to speak of, the structure of the game works very well at pulling players away from the traditional RPG mindset and into the interpersonal conflict so common in fiction and TV but exceedingly rare in RPGs.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

I backed Hillfolk for the sole purpose of helping to encourage Laws that a FS2 Kickstarter would be viable. I absolutely hate the system and the concept, but I am a diehard grog so that's probably expected. The book is very lovely and is well organized. There are plenty of clearly written examples and the the supplement has tons of alternative settings and 'dramatic' groups. All in all a good choice if you like creating interpersonal scenes rather than engaging in external conflict.

I don't think a diehard grog would like Feng Shui :unsmith:

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
I really liked Feng Shui 1, the streamlining they did to 2 annoyed me.

I tried playing Hillfolk. I normally won't say I hate something unless I actually try it (Monsterhearts is one of the few exceptions to that. The whole concept is repellent to me). I like playing in games with a GM/DM/Ref running the show and setting the plot and controlling the NPCs. Games like Hillfolk are the antithesis of that style.

Humbug Scoolbus fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Jul 30, 2016

Sionak
Dec 20, 2005

Mind flay the gap.

Alien Rope Burn posted:

I ran Hillfolk demos for Pelgrane, and honestly it's a blast... but if you're haven't seen it in action, it's hard to describe. Basically players take turns setting scenes in which they engage another player for something they want. If they give up what the initial player wants, they get a token. Tokens can be later used to force the narrative, forcing somebody else to give you what you want, busting in on other people's scenes, etc.

One way to describe Hillfolk for those that have played Fiasco is that it's kind of like a more long-term game of Fiasco so you can play a season of TV instead of a Coen brothers film.

I really love Hillfolk and have had a great time running it with my players. I took one of Robin Laws' suggestions from a web column and used DramaSystem for my players to create the Imperial council of the far-away Empire that was antagonizing their primary characters. So basically, they made the villains' small council. The results were amazing; they came up with flawed but ambitious characters and became nearly as invested in the villains as their primary heroes.

It's a system that works extremely well to give you some Game of Thrones politicking and is pretty quick to get your head around. I think it's very cool to see a system focus on dramatic interpersonal tensions rather than the more procedural mystery and combat of most RPGs.

My only other caveat is I haven't found it super great for one-shots - like most cable dramas, it takes a little time to really establish and flesh out the relationships that make the game sing.

I'd totally recommend it for the Bundle of Holding price unless you really dislike storygame framing.

Thanlis
Mar 17, 2011

The Hillfolk Bundle also gets you dozens of four to six page settings, which are totally mechanics-independent -- if you're on the fence I'd recommend it for that reason.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
Oh absolutely. If that style of game is your bag the Bundle is completely worth it.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.
I hope a little self-promotion is OK because it's a) a free RPG and b) DramaSystem, so it's relevant.

I wrote "The First Hundred" a couple of years ago for DramaSystem as a portfolio piece. It's Kim Stanley Robinson's Mars trilogy with the serial numbers filed off as a DramaSystem Series Pitch. If that's your bag, please enjoy!

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
That is extremely my thing and I am downloading it now. Thanks!

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Self promotion is always welcome in this thread. There is only one stipulation: it must be free or a deal (i.e. Discounted from regular retail price).

Trevellian
Apr 27, 2007

Well tally ho! With a bing and a bong and a buzz buzz buzz!

moths posted:

Those Ankh pins are pretty hard to come by, too. I picked it up mainly for that, but also because I never got any of the clan books.

Can't wait to see what the additional content is.

Oh dear - the first addition to the V:TM Humble Bundle is Eternal Hearts...

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Haha, gently caress. They've also taken down the "More to come" blurb, so I guess that's it.

Trevellian
Apr 27, 2007

Well tally ho! With a bing and a bong and a buzz buzz buzz!
Oh, that's hilarious, I hadn't noticed that. Seriously, of all the V:TM fiction they could have included in the bundle they pick that...

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

How about that Osprey Bundle of Holding?

https://bundleofholding.com/presents/OspreyWargames

Don't know anything about them, but some of the genres covered make it sound really interesting.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Hollow Earth Expedition turns 10 today, so the publisher is giving it away for free for 24 hours via this DriveThru discount link: http://tiny.cc/hex10th

Also, the current Bundle of Holding is Shadowrun 3e.

thefakenews
Oct 20, 2012
So the free demo pack for a new Australian RPG, Bloody Quest, went live for download today. The game bills itself as follows:

Bloody Quest is a furious and entertaining tabletop roleplay game. Combat is gruesome; there is every chance your character will come out of a fight with horrific physical wounds. Couple this with a sense of epic adventure, exploration and decision making, and you have a powerful experience which appeals to beginner and veteran players alike. The mechanics behind the game are focused on providing a fun and easy-to-use system. A head for math isn’t required; once players have experienced the rules quick and brutal encounters will follow. The onus is on sitting around a table and having fun with your friends.

It's basically a minis heavy tactical RPG with an emphasis on combat rules, and a fairly light system out of combat. The demo pack comes with a map, tokens and a bunch of reference cards.

Full disclosure: I helped out with some graphic design (mainly the basic design for the reference cards, I didn't put in the actual content) and some minor rules development stuff.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
Probably worth noting that the current Bundle of Holding is a bit over half the books for Tribe 8, a 90s game from Dream Pod 9 set in post-apocalyptic Montreal with a weird fantasy spin - humanity has been enslaved by demons and the resistance is made up of tribes led by avatars of the Earth Goddess known as Fatimas...except the PCs have been kicked out of the tribes and are trying to build an eighth tribe beholden to neither Fatima nor demon. The Bundle has all of the key setting material but doesn't have all the adventures that made up the metaplot (though they added a couple since launch and are scheduled to add one more book before the offer ends). It's apparently pretty well regarded, more for the setting and (some say) unusually well-handled metaplot than for the mechanics. Children of Lilith, which is included in the offer, has been cited as one of the best published RPG campaigns in more than one discussion I've seen.

https://bundleofholding.com/presents/Tribe8

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

This week's Bundle (well, two bundles) is Mutants & Masterminds 3e. One is the core books, the other is a collection of power and setting expansions.

I haven't really touched M&M since the original version in my d20 days, so I don't know how much has changed with this new edition. I do know it's still (technically) OGL-based.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Quote is not edit

8one6 fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Aug 30, 2016

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Evil Mastermind posted:

This week's Bundle (well, two bundles) is Mutants & Masterminds 3e. One is the core books, the other is a collection of power and setting expansions.

I haven't really touched M&M since the original version in my d20 days, so I don't know how much has changed with this new edition. I do know it's still (technically) OGL-based.
It seems okay as long as you're looking for what it's giving you (that is, an almost-gurps-like system designed specifically for supers, with a some d20 cruft).

I got it during their big giveaway a year or so back, and the crunch level is significantly higher than I'm looking for, right now. The feats, in particular, bothered me - they're classic d20-style feats, with smallish effects that some characters get a ton of and which you need to look up in the book.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
3e basically strips the decals off. 2e had a dozen and one powers that were mechanically identical, but had different names, and they admitted that was stupid in the core books.

Im not a fan of the 3e attribute array, but the power system is functional. 2e is still decent, and both are miles beyond the mess that 1e was.

I don't suggest trying to play Batman or Bruce Lee using any of them, though.

St0rmD
Sep 25, 2002

We shoulda just dropped this guy over the Middle East"

LuLu.com has another 30% off deal. Code THEBIG30

I just bought Dark Dungeons hardback for $25.01 shipped. :D

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

St0rmD posted:

LuLu.com has another 30% off deal. Code THEBIG30

I just bought Dark Dungeons hardback for $25.01 shipped. :D

Anyone know any other good games on LuLu? I already own Dark Dungeons.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Here's a bigass list: http://dieheart.net/useful-stuff/lulu/

Edit: Oh dang Hollowpoint's there! And Stalker's pretty cool too, despite the Comic Sans in it.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH
That list is missing Microscope, the best game about creating a backstory I've ever played. Buy Microscope.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Also pretty much everything by Johnstone Metzger. Especially if you play Dungeon World.

RedMagus
Nov 16, 2005

Male....Female...what does it matter? Power is beautiful, and I've got the power!
Grimey Drawer
Don't forget the Storygame Name Project. Really drat useful resource.

Sionak
Dec 20, 2005

Mind flay the gap.
Greg Stolze's Reign books are also available from Lulu.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Covok posted:

If you play DCC the Gongfarmer's Almanacs and Jeremy Deram's reference sheets are both essential and available at-cost.

Mythic Russia is pretty good, medieval Russian adventures with a focus on myth and folklore, powered by Heroquest.

Stalker RPG is a well-done rules light narrative-focused system based on the Strugatsky Brothers novel, the Tarkovsky movie and the video games. However, fair warning, the book is entirely in Comic Sans and the author seems convinced this is a wonderful idea and everyone else in the entire world is just being silly about the font.

Usagi Yojimbo: Based on a streamlined version of Ironclaw I think it captures the feel of the comic and chanbara in general quite well. The combat is incredibly lethal but this is mitigated by techniques and abilities characters can have, so you can easily get that feeling of a shitload of crappy ninjas or thugs mowed down by a samurai who is then challenged by a worthy opponent.

Simon Washbourne's games: Barbarians of Lemuria, (Some people say the Legendary Edition on Lulu is better than the more recent Mythic Edition) Crimson Blades, (avoid d20 version) Woodland Warriors. Make sure you get Complete for Woodland Warriors.

Dungeon Dozen A compilation of a blog that has tables of goofy stuff, like 1d12 Dungeon Stinks or 1d12 Reasons That Wizard is Eyeballing You. Cool to use and funny to read.

Petty Gods a giant book of gods of stuff like literacy and hygiene, with art and descriptions. Based on a combo of Deities & Demigods and the Judges Guild book Unknown Gods. Another "cool to use and fun to read" thing. The price is really reasonable.

Rob Conley's Majestic Wilderlands, if you like City State of the Invincible Overlord and all that.

Stonehell Dungeon and Anomalous Subsurface Environment are just really solid and interesting dungeons.

Dyson Logos's map books are well crafted. A little expensive I think, but the content is great.

Richard LeBlanc's stuff, especially Valley of the Five Fires, a Mongolian themed sandbox. Psionics Handbook is cool if you need psychics for Basic D&D games, and his other non-adventure stuff includes a decent monster manual and sandbox books that have things like a heraldry generator, magical place generator, etc.

Evil Mastermind posted:

Also pretty much everything by Johnstone Metzger. Especially if you play Dungeon World.

I have the Metamorphica and it's good and useful for any kind of game.

Sionak posted:

Greg Stolze's Reign books are also available from Lulu.

I thought that was just one of the cut-down versions. EDIT: Nope, you just can't get a print copy of the corebook through Lulu.

Lightning Lord fucked around with this message at 12:17 on Sep 18, 2016

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Covok posted:

it doesn't really help with your problem but Retro phaze Is free on lulu and is a neat classic final fantasy inspired hexcrawl game

Sionak
Dec 20, 2005

Mind flay the gap.

Lightning Lord posted:

I thought that was just one of the cut-down versions. EDIT: Nope, you just can't get a print copy of the corebook through Lulu.

Yeah, sorry, I misremembered. So to make it more clear: you can get the corebook pdf on lulu, and the supplements (First Year of Our Reign, Second Year of Our Reign, and Third Year of Our Reign) in print.

The corebook is available at ttp://www.indiepressrevolution.com/xcart/product.php?productid=16591 or in Enchiridion (rules without much setting stuff) on Amazon.

Also available from Stolze on lulu is the sleek, one-book A Dirty World which is amazing for noir games:
http://www.lulu.com/shop/greg-stolze/a-dirty-world/paperback/product-3220272.html

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

DriveThru is having a sale on PbtA games and supplements.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

I got excited for a bit, but then I saw that most of the sales (15%) are literally a couple of dollars because the games are so cheap to begin with. :v:

Tempted to get Fellowship and/or World Wide Wrestling, tho.

Siivola fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Sep 19, 2016

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.

Siivola posted:

I got excited for a bit, but then I saw that most of the sales (15%) are literally a couple of dollars because the games are so cheap to begin with. :v:

Both are worth it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Siivola posted:

Both are worth it at the full price.

I'm a little bummed that The Sprawl isn't on sale; I've been kinda interested in that owe.