Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Advice
Feb 17, 2007

Je veux ton amour
Et je veux ton revanche
Je veux ton amour
I don't wanna be friends
There's still time for the giant, 19-page foldout of a gigantic finger

Don't let me down now, Kubo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

bleach is my last non-cooking related manga

soon I will be free

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

hiddenriverninja posted:

bleach is my last non-cooking related manga

soon I will be free

jokes on you, the final chapter is 100 pages long and will be released monthly, one panel at a time

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

One hundred page sized pinups would be the absolute best ending for Bleach.

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP

FuturePastNow posted:

I wonder if it'll even be a double-length finale or if we just get like 19 pages to wrap this up.

From what I've heard, Bleach is just gonna get a color page.

On the other hand, Nisekoi is ending the same week and getting both extra and color pages, so you can see how badly Kubo has hosed up in the eyes of the editors.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
The full breakdown of next week's WSJ seems to be:
Bleach will have color pages, no concrete number tho, so it could be just one. Almost definitely regular-length.
Nisekoi ends with a color cover and 25 pages
The Promised Neverland is the cover of the magazine, it's a new manga by a pretty awesome concept artist (Pusuka Demizu) and a new author i can't find anything about, also on top of the cover they'll also get colored pages.
Black Clover and The Disastrous Life of Saiki K also get colored pages
And apparently so will One Piece and Boruto.

It's the most unceremonious thing :allears:

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
Nisekoi is being treated with more dignity than Bleach.

Delicious.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
And My Hero Acedemia will continue to be good.

Toriko is looking to be wrapping up soon. So a few series are going away. Some were long runners too.

Least Hunter apparently won't be on Hiatus too long.

Advice
Feb 17, 2007

Je veux ton amour
Et je veux ton revanche
Je veux ton amour
I don't wanna be friends
Ahaha that's great. Bleach gets a color page in celebration of ending it's decade plus run...

also everyone else gets color pages, why not

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

Manatee Cannon posted:

like 10 people fought thor and that fight had been going on for at least a month. he should have lost 3 super powered reveals before ywach decided "eh gently caress it" and did it himself

im beginning to doubt your commitment to the kub'

Jesse James
Oct 11, 2009

IchiGO?
Thank whatever diety you pray to that this dumpster fire of a story is about to be over. This series had a good run from about 2004- 2009. And it was a good run with memorable characters and good pacing. Then the fake karakura town arc happened. And it all went to poo poo. Kubo's editors SHOULD have taken a note from his previous manga, "Zombie Powder" to note, "Hey, this guy can do flashy things, but in a time crunch, he shits the bed!" So I guess blame shueisha? The ultimate fault lands on Kubo though. He just kept painting a lovely picture.

Doresh
Jan 7, 2015
If you're gonna try to stretch out your cashcow franchise, you better fill it with enough quality to keep the cashcow tag.

(Though it doesn't even need to be a whole lot of quality. If your anime gets cancelled while Naruto can just delay the proper ending of the show with 2+ years of filler just so they can occupy the time slot till Boruto has enough chapters for an adaption, you know you've hosed up.)

Voted Worst Mom posted:

I'm more than 100% positive that Aizen is actually immortal because of hougokyu and the reason he acts so smug even when facing Ywach is because what's he really going to do anyways? I really think Ywach wants to avoid Aizen or convince him to work together with him because otherwise he would never stop playing optical illusion tricks on him.

Aizen has now become a poo poo golem. The perfect being to be the next Soul King.

lezard_valeth posted:

A problem also was how emotionless those fights were. Like you could literally interchange the participants between most battles and the result would have been exactly the same. The only battle that had some emotion behind it was Rukia Vs As Nodt, where Rukia avenged the death (HA! as if Kubo had the balls) defeat of her Nii-sama and prove she has grown.

Kubo has refined the "Fill-in-the-blanks shounen filler duels" to a dull and boring edge.

Manatee Cannon posted:

like 10 people fought thor and that fight had been going on for at least a month. he should have lost 3 super powered reveals before ywach decided "eh gently caress it" and did it himself

Don't be silly. The whole fight was set up in such a way it could've easily gone for another 200 chapters. Thor was the ultimate "Let's show every character that has ever existed in this series and give him a new power-up to enjoy for a chapter or two" entity.

Doresh fucked around with this message at 07:50 on Jul 30, 2016

Coffee Mugshot
Jun 26, 2010

by Lowtax
I still don't think fake karakura is where everything fell apart. Fake karakura has good fights and small hints of resolution. Deicide sucks but works as an ending. Fullbringers and beyond is the new game plus with the extra challenge being that you have to watch ichigo fall down snake way half a dozen times because deicide ends with him being the strongest possible character.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

Voted Worst Mom posted:

I still don't think fake karakura is where everything fell apart. Fake karakura has good fights and small hints of resolution. Deicide sucks but works as an ending. Fullbringers and beyond is the new game plus with the extra challenge being that you have to watch ichigo fall down snake way half a dozen times because deicide ends with him being the strongest possible character.

Fake Karakura had fights with more than 2 characters at once (Rose,Love,Ukitake and Kyoraku vs Starrk; Omaeda, Soifon and Hachigen vs Barragan; Hiyori,Hitsugaya and girl vs Harribel).

Also comparetively, the 4 Pillar fight, the 1st round against the Espada and the 2nd round against the Espada took a grand total of 44 Chapters (316-340, 355-375) with the 15 chapters in the middle dedicated to the fight between Ichigo and Ulquiorra, and Rukia, Renji and Ishida vs Tree guy and then Yammy. Meaning that you had a total of 4 altogether different fights in 59 chapters.

Here, we got 133 chapters of continuous fighting, which can be separated between Quincy vs Shinigami, Quincy vs Elite Guard, and Elite Quincy vs Shinigami again.

Or put it other way:

In 59 chapters we had 13 different fights: (Yumichika vs Charlotte, Kira vs Bird, Hisagi vs Crab, Komamura vs Whale, Soi Fon vs Tiger, Omaeda vs Elephant, multiple vs Harribel groupies and Ayon, multiple vs Starrk, multiple vs Harribel, multiple vs Barragan, Ichigo vs Ulquiorra, multiple vs Tree, multiple vs Yammy)

This arc in 133 chapters we had 15 different fights (Hitsugaya vs BazzB/Iron, Soifon vs BG9, Komamura vs Bambietta, Renji and co. vs Mask, Rukia vs As Nodt, Kenpachi vs Imagination, multiple Shinigami vs multiple zombies, Byakuya vs Pepe, Elite Guard vs Wind, Nimaiya vs Elite Guard, Yhwach vs Ichibei, Mayuri and Nemu vs Hand, Kyoraku and Nanao vs Flamingo, Everyone vs Thor, Ishida vs Haschwalt)

And some people at reddit still argue that Kubo was not given enough time to execute his magnum opus and Shounen Jump is to blame :rolleyes:

lezard_valeth fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Jul 30, 2016

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
kubo supposedly had problems with no editorial input at all for deicide. that's fair, really. he dug himself into a hole and the best idea he could come up with was to keep digging. not the best idea, but with that setup his options were to keep going with the overly long arc or end it prematurely. neither is a very good plan, though with hindsight we can say he shouldn't have started a single arc that would run for years and hundreds of chapters. but again, no editorial input.
so in response, the fullbringer arc was supposed to be a short arc, going back to basics, set in karakura and featuring ichigo's family and friends. however, that arc made it very clear that kubo has way more problems with writing than lack of editing. and then immediately after, he thought it would be a great idea to dig a similar hole as before, only longer and deeper this time.

dude is hopeless. he had every opportunity to learn from his mistakes and instead he doubled down on them.

dordreff
Jul 16, 2013

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

The full breakdown of next week's WSJ seems to be:
Bleach will have color pages, no concrete number tho, so it could be just one. Almost definitely regular-length.
Nisekoi ends with a color cover and 25 pages
The Promised Neverland is the cover of the magazine, it's a new manga by a pretty awesome concept artist (Pusuka Demizu) and a new author i can't find anything about, also on top of the cover they'll also get colored pages.
Black Clover and The Disastrous Life of Saiki K also get colored pages
And apparently so will One Piece and Boruto.

It's the most unceremonious thing :allears:

loving ruthless

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Jesse James posted:

Kubo's editors SHOULD have taken a note from his previous manga, "Zombie Powder" to note, "Hey, this guy can do flashy things, but in a time crunch, he shits the bed!" So I guess blame shueisha? The ultimate fault lands on Kubo though. He just kept painting a lovely picture.

BLEACH got lovely ratings, which put the series on the chopping block, and Kubo was dragging it out, basically preventing a new series from occupying the slot in WSJ, or worse yet, dooming a better rated, though shorter, manga series to get cancelled instead. I side completely with Shuesia in axing the series, proper resolution be damned.

Doresh
Jan 7, 2015
I like to believe he was just trolling everyone at this point.

Kubo's brain posted:

"They only let me make one more arc of this? Well, they didn't limit the number of chapters, so..."

I mean seriously, the powers of Thor and others are essentially "Waste everyone's time".

lezard_valeth posted:

And some people at reddit still argue that Kubo was not given enough time to execute his magnum opus and Shounen Jump is to blame :rolleyes:

#KuboDidNothingWrong

slev
Apr 6, 2009

Tbf whatever they are replacing bleach with will probably get canceled within a year like most jump series

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

slev posted:

Tbf whatever they are replacing bleach with will probably get canceled within a year like most jump series

jump prefers to rapidly cycle through new series looking for the next mega hit. i can't really say if that is good or bad, but it seems to work for them.

Doresh
Jan 7, 2015

Serious Frolicking posted:

jump prefers to rapidly cycle through new series looking for the next mega hit. i can't really say if that is good or bad, but it seems to work for them.

They are probably paranoid of enabling the next Kubo. Every new mangaka probably has to fill out a survey that includes questions like "How many villains would you introduce in a single arc?"

Doresh fucked around with this message at 12:55 on Jul 30, 2016

dordreff
Jul 16, 2013
do you think Kubo knows how bad he hosed up or is he gonna turn up to pitch a new manga in a few weeks and get upset when everyone hides under their desks and pretends not to be there until he leaves?

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

dordreff posted:

do you think Kubo knows how bad he hosed up or is he gonna turn up to pitch a new manga in a few weeks and get upset when everyone hides under their desks and pretends not to be there until he leaves?

He's allowed to submit oneshots and the like, for him to get a new series publicized.

Whether readers want another series from him, and based on the quality of those stories, will determine if he gets a new Jump Series. There's also the possibility that he jumps ship to a different publication, but we'll see.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
You guys are crazy. Bleach has sold millions of volumes and got pretty well known. It may have ended with a whimper, but I'd be shocked if Kubo isn't able to do whatever he wants next.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Make when starting a new series he won't be taking his success for granted. That seems to keep him honest, see Zombie Powder and everything up until Fake Karakura.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Wittgen posted:

You guys are crazy. Bleach has sold millions of volumes and got pretty well known. It may have ended with a whimper, but I'd be shocked if Kubo isn't able to do whatever he wants next.

Has is the keyword, tho. There was a reason why they said it, Naruto and One Piece were the Top 3 but during that Fullbring arc it all went crashing down, it still does good sales, sure, but it's no longer a megahit like how it used to be at the height of its popularity, it doesn't even begin to compare to One Piece sales and, heck, it doesn't compare to Hyakuu! or My Hero Academia sales either, and lets not begin with Assassination Classroom. It's more comparable to Gintama, which is also a longrunning manga with with similar sales, but Gintama outsells Bleach and has an anime right now, in fact it benefits to the new seasonal trend animes have right now which Bleach cannot ever use because in the past four and a half loving years it has only done a single storyline. More contemporaries that do around Bleach levels of sales are World Trigger, Seraph the End and Golden Kamui, none of them being more than 3 years long, so if you can produce similar results from a manga that doesn't have to be 15 years long then wouldn't you want to avoid paying a man for that long and instead get a more widespread arrange of IPs that can take advantage of the new model of anime?

Kubo probably still has a chance, he's certainly not a nobody anymore, but there's no way he can do whatever he wants. And that's before we start to wonder if someone at Shuesha hates his guts since he's not getting extra pages for his finale while Nisekoi is.

MorningMoon fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Jul 30, 2016

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

I would like to see a series set in this same universe about what happened 1000 years ago. Let's see hardcore Yamamoto and psycho killer Unohana and the rest of them defeat Bach the first time.

Kubo did pretty good for the first 5 years of Bleach. He just needs a really good editor. And I don't think Fake Karakura or Deicide killed the manga for fans; they dragged on too long, but they had good fights and the latter felt like it was resolving the story. But fans hated the anime fillers and the Fullbringers looked and smelled like those.

Doresh
Jan 7, 2015

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Kubo probably still has a chance, he's certainly not a nobody anymore, but there's no way he can do whatever he wants. And that's before we start to wonder if someone at Shuesha hates his guts since he's not getting extra pages for his finale while Nisekoi is.

He is the less pretentious Shyamalan of manga. Great start, but better keep him in check or else things get weird.

Bacontotem
May 27, 2010

FuturePastNow posted:

I would like to see a series set in this same universe about what happened 1000 years ago. Let's see hardcore Yamamoto and psycho killer Unohana and the rest of them defeat Bach the first time.

Kubo did pretty good for the first 5 years of Bleach. He just needs a really good editor. And I don't think Fake Karakura or Deicide killed the manga for fans; they dragged on too long, but they had good fights and the latter felt like it was resolving the story. But fans hated the anime fillers and the Fullbringers looked and smelled like those.

I can see all futures....poo poo it's all fire, guys we're hosed.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Kubo might be able to do a better new series if he ends up with an editor who has the wisdom to just block him from running the insane cast bloat + one fight per character formula that made it necessary for there to be an entire alphabet of new bad guys for the final arc

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
I'm ready for the Don Kanonji Spinoff.

Doresh
Jan 7, 2015

Julias posted:

I'm ready for the Don Kanonji Spinoff.

Spiritron Sentai Karakuranger.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
They should get Shiori Teshirogi. She did a really good job savaging the Saint Seiya franchise with the Lost Canvas, using a lot of elements from the original's lore in new inventive ways. Bleach has a lot of cool concepts that were never expanded upon or were used poorly

This thought actually made me laugh, because as much as we complain about Kubo he is nowhere near as bad as Kurumada.

It's been like almost 30 years and the series is nowhere near an ending, and it's not even fun to hate read. Hell sometimes you can't even read it because Kurumada goes on year long breaks only to come back and write "....and they traverse the 12 Gold Temples...again"

lezard_valeth fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Jul 30, 2016

Ampuli
Nov 23, 2013
Maybe Bleach dosen't have extra pages because Kubo doesn't have anything extra to add.

Drink Top
Jul 21, 2012
Kubo wanted to write Jojo's Bizarre Adventure so badly. Araki didn't invent personally manifested abilities but it just seemed really apparent. It does seem appropriate that Bleach ended with a mundane sword swing rather than any arrogant peacock behavior or flashy moves.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Drink Top posted:

Kubo wanted to write Jojo's Bizarre Adventure so badly. Araki didn't invent personally manifested abilities but it just seemed really apparent. It does seem appropriate that Bleach ended with a mundane sword swing rather than any arrogant peacock behavior or flashy moves.

He is horrible at writing interesting battles with the weird abilities though.

Drink Top
Jul 21, 2012
I enjoyed Mayuri's fights, but they were mostly asspulls with no previous things established in the story.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Drink Top posted:

I enjoyed Mayuri's fights, but they were mostly asspulls with no previous things established in the story.

Well the japanese do like jojo part 5 a lot :v:

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
I feel like it says something that Bleach's most popular characters were actually really bad characters, just people ignored that because they were so stylish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drink Top
Jul 21, 2012

BlitzBlast posted:

I feel like it says something that Bleach's most popular characters were actually really bad characters, just people ignored that because they were so stylish.

Badly written or bad people? Because a lot of them are both.

• Locked thread