Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003
I finished my quick and dirty EPP light mod.

Lets you craft a new Spelunking EPP by combining the Cooling EPP and the Xenon pack at a replicator. You can dye it and all, works like any other EPP.

NOTE: Backup your char just in case. As with any other EPP, this will consume any augment during crafting. Uninstalling the mod will make the EPP turn into a generic object but there shouldn't be any other issues.

http://www28.zippyshare.com/v/Hux09rzr/file.html

Det_no fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Jul 30, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Focacciasaurus_Rex
Dec 13, 2010

DaveKap posted:

It's because that's the point, you're supposed to be able to progress in the game no matter what your "play style" is and that was the goal from the start. You can farm -> money -> buy upgrades/buy mats to craft upgrades -> beat game || colonize -> slumlord money/gain merchants -> buy upgrades/buy mats to craft upgrades -> beat game || spelunk/discover towns -> loot mini-dungeons/steal everything in town -> beat game || spelunk -> mine mats -> craft upgrades/convert mats to money to buy upgrades -> beat game || do quests -> money -> whatever -> beat game. I'm probably missing a few and there's plenty of mixing and matching along the path.

The reason you thought there was nothing to do was because you picked what is probably the most imbalanced path (because it's also the most risk/reward/RNG path, you just happened to luck out) to beating the game. Maybe start a new character and just try a different path because there's plenty to do, you're just not doing it because it's a choice, not mandatory.

Err, the other paths don't actually lead there. You can't complete the game being a peaceful farmer. In fact you can't buy more than either tungsten or darksteel tier from the miner bears, and to get new seeds you have to go exploring, which means fighting, anyway.

In addition, it's very samey, and they removed a lot of potential gear and techs from previous versions. For new players, the game is desolate. For people who were in the early access period, the game has a lot less content than it used to, and that's annoying.

You have bad opinions about video games.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
A game shouldn't need mods to be playable.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Focacciasaurus_Rex posted:

Err, the other paths don't actually lead there. You can't complete the game being a peaceful farmer. In fact you can't buy more than either tungsten or darksteel tier from the miner bears

untrue, it depends on which missions you've completed but it goes all the way

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

good thing for starbound, then, because it IS playable

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
I hope they will add some mods with stronger bosses to fight in multiplayer. Right now I just beat the last boss and there's absolutely nothing left to do. Much like terraria pre hardmode I guess.

Focacciasaurus_Rex
Dec 13, 2010

Excelzior posted:

untrue, it depends on which missions you've completed but it goes all the way

Please, by all means, tell me which quests I have to do to get the bears to sell the good stuff. :allears:

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
Half Life was already a loving good game, and it's coolness and longevity was amplified with creative fans making more of it, that's why we have poo poo like Counter-Strike, Day of Defeat, Sven Coop.

Starbound now reminds of Spacebase DF9. "gently caress it, let somebody else do it." Mentality.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
That doesn't even matter, really. digging straight down to the core is actually way easier and safer than threading the surface and will net you enough materials to upgrade all of your stuff in 5 minutes. After I got my MM to 4x4 and 300% mining speed it got even easier.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
Now, when i play starbound, I just put cheat all the modules to make my Matter manipulator go to max level. gently caress the Pickaxes of yesteryear, and gently caress making mining a tedious rear end exercise.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

the difficulty curve of the game is extra janked up because things are tedious and/or difficult as hell early on but once you start unlocking poo poo then it rapidly reaches a point where you don't have to worry about much, but like other games in the genre having item loss on death is still loving stupid because dumb random poo poo can still entirely mulch you due to floaty controls or whatever

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Johnny Joestar posted:

the difficulty curve of the game is extra janked up because things are tedious and/or difficult as hell early on but once you start unlocking poo poo then it rapidly reaches a point where you don't have to worry about much, but like other games in the genre having item loss on death is still loving stupid because dumb random poo poo can still entirely mulch you due to floaty controls or whatever
100% the worst thing about the deaths are the fact that they can so easily be caused because you literally can't pause the game in single player.

Focacciasaurus_Rex posted:

You have bad opinions about video games.
Why do you poo poo up your own posts when trying to make a good point?

Edit: I'm not even saying this to derail our conversation; I just genuinely was ready to have an interesting back and forth about the need to snip content from games in order to better align their content, the difference between the various playstyles Starbound offers and how they do and don't work together, your insistence that there is little "to do" being backed up by a different argument that there is little "to see." Except you went and just poo poo your own post up so now I don't even want to bother having a normal discourse.

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Jul 30, 2016

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Every desert planet I go to is now a Savannah.

flesh dance
May 6, 2009

After wandering around across 4-5 different planets fitting the description I finally found a floran village for the scan quest, only got 3/4 of what I needed (why do you need so many things, and why do so many objects not count? the old lady doesn't even have dialog for it, just like huuuuuh, iiiinteresting) beamed back to the ship and quest status magically reset to a third complete wtf

Also I wanted to be a solo rogue plantperson and upgrade my ship without crew members but the pirate store is locked even though I swear I talked to them earlier? Wiki doesn't mention anything about having to unlock it and searching for an answer goes back 2+ years in development

By all logic I should just cut my time losses and uninstall now. Are all of these artifact quests the same thing?

Focacciasaurus_Rex
Dec 13, 2010

flesh dance posted:

After wandering around across 4-5 different planets fitting the description I finally found a floran village for the scan quest, only got 3/4 of what I needed (why do you need so many things, and why do so many objects not count? the old lady doesn't even have dialog for it, just like huuuuuh, iiiinteresting) beamed back to the ship and quest status magically reset to a third complete wtf

Also I wanted to be a solo rogue plantperson and upgrade my ship without crew members but the pirate store is locked even though I swear I talked to them earlier? Wiki doesn't mention anything about having to unlock it and searching for an answer goes back 2+ years in development

By all logic I should just cut my time losses and uninstall now. Are all of these artifact quests the same thing?

Yes. And the planets get even larger and more hazardous as time goes on. Imagine that frustration coupled with the floor being lava. It's great. :allears:

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Met posted:

A game shouldn't need mods to be playable.

but enough about bethesda

Bob Locke
Dec 31, 2007

nerdz posted:

Oh yeah, some of the subtypes really could do with some buffs though. Hammers are sorta good when they can one shot mobs but their damage doesn't keep up as the planet difficulty increases. Daggers are crazy bad, not enough range or knockback.

Are we playing the same game? Dual daggers trivialize any fight in the game that isn't a boss, they stunlock everything and the AI can't handle it.

They hold up ok vs bosses because they still do massive DPS but that's when you gotta worry about the crap range.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Look at these plebs not modding and using the mechs for every story fight smh

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

which chucklefish employee are you

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i don't think any chucklefish employee has such good taste in manga

also 'playable' doesn't necessarily mean 'good'

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

flesh dance posted:

I think the pirate story unlocks after doing the Floran quest.

I also think - though I'm not sure - those scanning quests have a preset list of objects to scan and complete when you've scanned them all/a certain amount of them. If you've scanned some of those objects before starting the quest it'll start partially completed. I guess you were just unlucky finding a village without some of the items. The quest status resetting sounds like a bug though.

All the artifact quests start with "scan a bunch of poo poo" but then they lead to a dungeon that's usually pretty fun.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

I'm having a lot of fun playing starbound with my buddy. Building cool poo poo, exploring, doing the missions, etc. is a lot of fun with a friend. There have been some frustrating things here and there (like not being able to repair some existing buildings because of wrong cobblestone colour and a couple of small bugs) but not enough to sour the entire experience. I'll probably get burned out after another 10-20 hours but that's alright.

Sorry that y'all seem to be so upset about this game but maybe you should just cut your losses and play something you enjoy?

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

The scanning items are random, I think. My friend had different items he had to scan than me.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Johnny Joestar posted:

i don't think any chucklefish employee has such good taste in manga

also 'playable' doesn't necessarily mean 'good'

It's playable in the same way a goon is fuckable. All the parts are there but you don't really want to touch them.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

a7m2 posted:

The scanning items are random, I think. My friend had different items he had to scan than me.
Sometimes talking to members of that race also gets you some progress.

I had it happen once when I was accidentally talked to a crew member on my ship.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

a7m2 posted:

There are a set list of items that count and each count for a set amount of points. On the wiki there is a list of all items that count and for how many points. You can spawn these items manually and completely all scanning quests instantaneously if you want.
For example here are the items for the Floran scan quest: http://starbounder.org/Find_Clues_to_Locate_the_Floran_Artifact
Just check the quest you are on and manually spawn the items.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

e: you know what, I have no idea what point exactly it is you are trying to smugly make

Excelzior fucked around with this message at 13:25 on Jul 30, 2016

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

is it a huge pain in the rear end to stick to a single race for your crew, i want to surround myself with glitch

Aleth
Aug 2, 2008

Pillbug
No, just find a settlement of the race you want, plonk down a flag so you can TP there whenever and do a load of quests over and over for them until they start joining up.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Who exactly offers to join your crew is random, but you can tilt the scales by building a village with just Glitch furniture. Most of my crew came from my own village after doing a load of quests for them, so if you have an all-Glitch village you'll get mostly Glitch crew. You can turn down requests if someone else tries to join.

The Mattybee
Sep 15, 2007

despair.
What mods do people recommend/think are essential for play? I've been playing some and mostly getting frustrated and I think I'm gonna start over and mod it up some.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
My saves vanished, what happened?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

DaveKap posted:

It's because that's the point, you're supposed to be able to progress in the game no matter what your "play style" is and that was the goal from the start. You can farm -> money -> buy upgrades/buy mats to craft upgrades -> beat game || colonize -> slumlord money/gain merchants -> buy upgrades/buy mats to craft upgrades -> beat game || spelunk/discover towns -> loot mini-dungeons/steal everything in town -> beat game || spelunk -> mine mats -> craft upgrades/convert mats to money to buy upgrades -> beat game || do quests -> money -> whatever -> beat game. I'm probably missing a few and there's plenty of mixing and matching along the path.

The reason you thought there was nothing to do was because you picked what is probably the most imbalanced path (because it's also the most risk/reward/RNG path, you just happened to luck out) to beating the game. Maybe start a new character and just try a different path because there's plenty to do, you're just not doing it because it's a choice, not mandatory.

I have hardly gotten anything from the colonies though, I just build them because I like building things and that's the only part of the game that's really any fun. I get a pittance of money but far less than I would get just running through towns stealing things.

I'm literally saying I went on a couple of trips underground looking for new building props and coinicidentally collected enough materials in about two hours to get a full set of durasteel everything with a bunch left over. I would say it would take five to ten hours depending on luck to get to this point from the start of the game, and all I've done really is kill some of the same dull monsters. I haven't done any of the main quest, I'm just overpowered as hell.

If you compare it to something like terraria which also has a quite varied set of ways to go through it, because you can get stuff from either exploring, fighting, or strip mining and really you need to do all three. There's a wealth more actual gameplay in Terraria, more interesting stuff to find, more stuff to fight, more actual variety in the landscape and enemies, even the building part has more mechanical nuance to it because every person you add grants you a new set of stuff to access.

It's a prettier terraria without any of the actual depth or gameplay.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

flesh dance posted:

And

The scan quest progression is weird. Just gotta find more Floran stuff to scan. Yes, it sucks.

The store with the fake ship licenses opens after you get the Floran artifact. Ship progression is limited by story progression now - even if you get the license early through having enough crew, you won't get the upgrade quest until you progress to a certain point in the story quest line. And yeah, the wiki's unreliable right now - it's not up-to-date for 1.0.

The story progression is pretty much as follows: scan a bunch of items from race X, go through a race X-themed dungeon, get race X artifact, scan a bunch of items from race Y, go through a race Y-themed dungeon, get race Y artifact, repeat all these steps for every other race in the game. I've been neglecting it because who cares, but now I've found out that ship upgrades are restricted by story progress...

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
And, like, half of the mods my brother found don't work anymore.

Chucklefish determined that I was almost having fun after heavy modding and decided, nope! That's over!

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

OwlFancier posted:

If you compare it to something like terraria which also has a quite varied set of ways to go through it, because you can get stuff from either exploring, fighting, or strip mining and really you need to do all three. There's a wealth more actual gameplay in Terraria, more interesting stuff to find, more stuff to fight, more actual variety in the landscape and enemies, even the building part has more mechanical nuance to it because every person you add grants you a new set of stuff to access.

It's a prettier terraria without any of the actual depth or gameplay.

I'd say it's better than Terraria was when Starbound started development, but less good than Terraria is now. Terraria just did better with that five years of development.

Starbound is a good showcase of the gap between an "ideas guy" and a game designer. It's loaded with stuff that sounds like a pretty fun thing to put into a game, but without any consideration to whether it provides interesting choices or unique challenges.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I think my final views about the 1.0 are that had they released this exact version like 1 or 2 years ago without this many detours when people still had good faith with the game, they would be satisfied. They streamlined and cut so much — they have basically one single type of quest that worked fine on their tests (scan poo poo) and repeated them 6 times. Unlike many people here I was satisfied with the combat, especially since they added a lot of unique mobs and balanced that alongside humanoid enemies, which always were the best ones to fight against.

I only hope that they have some of the cut content pretty close to being polished enough and ready to go in a "thick and fast" update stream of endgame content. Which is giving them too much credit, but now that they don't have the weight of design decisions over them it should at least be easier. They have been awfully silent about talking post release plans, but at least post release patches have been steady. As strange as it sounds, they still have a chance to turn this around. Let's see what they do with this chance.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
game good????

bwaaaahh?!?!?

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms

Eonwe posted:

game good????

bwaaaahh?!?!?

mods good

i forgot i was running a no fall damage mod and it felt like it was a natural part of the game lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
so its actuay fun if you add a bunch of mods? got some suggestions?