Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Public service announcement: Mission 84 (the one with the giant dragon) can get hosed. This concludes the public service announcement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Wait until you get to the multiplayer mission (ninety-something) that has all of the giant creatures at once. That one hosed us a few times before we actually got it.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Crank that to Inferno and you're not fighting just one giant dragon. You fight three! :unsmigghh:

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

King of Insects is kicking my rear end in Inferno right now. Silver spiders are :stonklol:

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
Silver spiders, golden ants, and red hornets can all gently caress right off.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

abraxas posted:

Can anyone give me a quick and dirty newbie guide to this? I'm up to mission ~20 and have mostly been playing as ranger but I'm wondering if I'm missing something.

I'm doing fine on the missions but a lot of the time it feels like I leave a thousand pick ups behind because some ant died on the other end of the world and I don't want to dodge roll all the way over there before I kill the last ant and get the mission over screen. Also the red pick ups, armor I guess, what purpose do they really serve? After the first level it seemed like they increased my max hp but after that nothing (obvious) changed at all.

The weapon drops are kind of annoying too because I just get a ton of dupes all the time but I assume that's just the nature of the game.

It says rangers can ride vehicles but can I call them in somehow or do I just get them as part of a mission? I've tried via the voice menu but I'm apparently too stupid to figure this game out. It really feels like I'm missing huge parts.

Just assume you're explaining things to an idiot who's never played an EDF game before (aka me)
The loading screens answered most of your questions.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
So I'm getting towards the last quarter of the campaign and I've just started simply :commissar:ing every squad leader and pilfering their squads for meat shields that follow me instead of getting stuck on terrain or shooting at walls off in some godforsaken corner of the map and generally being worthless until they run into a huge blob of enemies and get murdered, is this the correct way to do it or is there a way to take over a squad without killing the leader

Scalding Coffee posted:

The loading screens answered most of your questions.

gently caress yeah loading screens that hang around for all of half a second if you have a remotely good computer

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

abraxas posted:

Can anyone give me a quick and dirty newbie guide to this? I'm up to mission ~20 and have mostly been playing as ranger but I'm wondering if I'm missing something.

I'm doing fine on the missions but a lot of the time it feels like I leave a thousand pick ups behind because some ant died on the other end of the world and I don't want to dodge roll all the way over there before I kill the last ant and get the mission over screen. Also the red pick ups, armor I guess, what purpose do they really serve? After the first level it seemed like they increased my max hp but after that nothing (obvious) changed at all.

The weapon drops are kind of annoying too because I just get a ton of dupes all the time but I assume that's just the nature of the game.

It says rangers can ride vehicles but can I call them in somehow or do I just get them as part of a mission? I've tried via the voice menu but I'm apparently too stupid to figure this game out. It really feels like I'm missing huge parts.

Just assume you're explaining things to an idiot who's never played an EDF game before (aka me)

Ranger is tied with Air Raider as being the worst to collect crates with on open maps. Don't bother with out-of-the-way red crates - cheat engine your armor is my advice, but do it to a sensible level (just to see how absurd the grind is, tell the game you collected 5000 crates - you'll be half-way to being optimal for hardest difficulty, and they expect you to do that with every class) so you don't ruin the experience for yourself. Focus on collecting weapon crates, they're the fun part of the loot system. As was mentioned already, every mission has a range of levels that items can drop in, with every difficulty and every mission combination having different minimums and maximums.

Vehicles come from Air Raiders - everybody can use gunner and transports seats, but only rangers and raiders can drive/pilot.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

It is possible to restock a vehicle's ammo, or do you need to drop it in again?

Also, how am I supposed to aim the rotary cannons on this vegalta I just got? The aim point moves at about the speed of continental drift.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

The way I'm doing my cheat engine-ing is whenever I feel like it, I go and look at which class has the most gathered armor and set every other class to that number. If anything, it's doing what the game SHOULD be doing imho, but just not as much (since I'd obviously be missing pickups for the not-in-lead class.)

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

The Lone Badger posted:

It is possible to restock a vehicle's ammo, or do you need to drop it in again?

Also, how am I supposed to aim the rotary cannons on this vegalta I just got? The aim point moves at about the speed of continental drift.

No, and get a better vegalta. The early vegaltas are kinda poo poo and the later ones are iffy.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Captain Invictus posted:

So I'm getting towards the last quarter of the campaign and I've just started simply :commissar:ing every squad leader and pilfering their squads for meat shields that follow me instead of getting stuck on terrain or shooting at walls off in some godforsaken corner of the map and generally being worthless until they run into a huge blob of enemies and get murdered, is this the correct way to do it or is there a way to take over a squad without killing the leader

gently caress yeah loading screens that hang around for all of half a second if you have a remotely good computer
You can't read that fast?

wereboat
Jun 23, 2011

DatonKallandor posted:

Vehicles come from Air Raiders - everybody can use gunner and transports seats, but only rangers and raiders can drive/pilot.

There are a handful of vehicles anyone can pilot- notably anyone can jump in a balam. We had four running around the other night!

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

Mondian posted:

The way I do it is to stand at the base and feather the jetpack control up to the top to maintain a steady ascent instead of rocketing up, but if you were standing adjacent to the trunk when you took off you should only barely have to tap forward at the top to land on the peak. You barely have any room to land and the landing animation itself can nudge you off, so its delicate. I thought it was easier with the pine trees, since it's pretty obvious where the top is, compared to the other trees that have an invisible platform surrounded by a canopy of leaves.

Ah thanks, I'll try that...I just kind of boosted above the tree and attempted to land it through trial and error. Now to farm a weapon that won't nuke the tree while I'm standing on it!

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

I found a CheatEngine script that gives you all the weapons.

It's fun. :allears:

If I go into co-op with this save, do I risk breaking anything for the other players?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Really Pants posted:

I found a CheatEngine script that gives you all the weapons.

It's fun. :allears:

If I go into co-op with this save, do I risk breaking anything for the other players?

No, because you'll still be subject to the mission's level cap.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Excellent. Just as long as I'm not going to make any kind of trouble for anybody.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

This looks stupid. Do we have a PC squad up or is PC pretty not-good?

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
http://steamcommunity.com/groups/GoonDefenseForce

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

The PC version is basically the definitive version of this game, I think.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Night10194 posted:

The PC version is basically the definitive version of this game, I think.

It doesn't have the dlc missions yet but otherwise yeah.

Skulleye
Jul 31, 2004
I just completed the last mission of EDF 2 on the Vita as a ranger. Those last few missions were epic!

I can't wait to get further in EDF 2017 and 2025 to see how they manage to top it :-)

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I just got back from watching Shin Godzilla so I guess playing EDF for a bit is the only thing to do now.

Storm One
Jan 12, 2011

Skulleye posted:

I just completed the last mission of EDF 2 on the Vita as a ranger. Those last few missions were epic!

I can't wait to get further in EDF 2017 and 2025 to see how they manage to top it :-)

2017 is technically EDF 1: The Remake, so it won't actually be as crazy as 2.

2025 is utterly outclassed by 4.1, so if you can get the latter on Steam or PS4 soon just skip 2025 entirely.
Literally the only thing 2025 has going for it vs 4.1 is that the 360 version (but not the PS3 one) can do simultaneous split-screen and online co-op. Not that it that matters because online must surely be dead by now.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

I'm going to do nothing productive all day. Come and join "a scrub" in 4.1 Online Mission Mode.

Skulleye
Jul 31, 2004

Storm One posted:

2017 is technically EDF 1: The Remake, so it won't actually be as crazy as 2.

2025 is utterly outclassed by 4.1, so if you can get the latter on Steam or PS4 soon just skip 2025 entirely.
Literally the only thing 2025 has going for it vs 4.1 is that the 360 version (but not the PS3 one) can do simultaneous split-screen and online co-op. Not that it that matters because online must surely be dead by now.

Thanks. I find 2017 to be a bit more chaotic due to having allied soldiers on the battlefield. But I'll keep my expectations a bit lower for that then :-)

I meant 4.1, just forgot that it wasn't called 2025 as well. Thanks anyway for the tip!

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Samurai Sanders posted:

I just got back from watching Shin Godzilla so I guess playing EDF for a bit is the only thing to do now.

I'd say EDF is more of a Godzilla: Final Wars kind of game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-1Y7ODRjzCM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rz0ED9BB-VA

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

I would love a mustachioed UFC champion killing poo poo with the super Atragon in EDF, and motorcycle fights (by hitting eachother with motorcyles), yes.

"The Ravagers have attached CHAINSAW HANDS to Erginus!" "What did you say? Chainsaw hands?"

Unrelated, my favorite recent NPC exchange.

"You are not allowed to die until you are out of ammo!"
"Whatever you say." (At least, some form of confirmation)
"I lost my magazine!"

Section Z fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Jul 30, 2016

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Section Z posted:

I would love a mustachioed UFC champion killing poo poo with the super Atragon in EDF, and motorcycle fights (by hitting eachother with motorcyles), yes.

"The Ravagers have attached CHAINSAW HANDS to Erginus!" "What did you say? Chainsaw hands?"

The final boss of Insect Armageddon shows up and is killed in one hit.

Gabby_Jay
Dec 14, 2000

Gör som vi
Till denna melodi
Today's wonderful npc conversation:

"So why did you join the EDF?"
"Give me a minute, let me think!"

Vakal
May 11, 2008
Pretty much everything that comes out of the wing diver NPC's mouths are equal parts adorable and psychotic.

Vakal fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Jul 30, 2016

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Gabby_Jay posted:

Today's wonderful npc conversation:

"So why did you join the EDF?"
"Give me a minute, let me think!"
Anything to do with getting married.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

"Why did you get married?"

"FOR LIVELIHOOD!"

I love my dumb little EDF guys.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

The best NPC line is and forever will be "It's not like I consider you my senior officer."

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Has anyone ever had one say they got married for justice. I want to believe I've heard it.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
WHY DID YOU GET MARRIED?

DUNNO

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Scalding Coffee posted:

Anything to do with getting married.

"Why did you get married?"
"It's an idea!"
"NOT POSSIBLE!"

(I love this thread, I love this game I am terrible at past hard :allears:)

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005
PSA: you can farm mission 14 on Inferno by turning tail and hiding.

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

PSA: you can farm mission 14 on Inferno by turning tail and hiding.

You only have to survive one or two farms and then you have weapons to take out any drones that decide to come check you out. After a bit, you can just help kill everything. It's a great farm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
It also helps that mission 14 is a fun mission