Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

You don't need advanced gliding in the new zone, it helps a lot, but it isn't a requirement, if you can reach the zealot's arena you can reach everything important like the justiciar boss fight, staying on the ground occasionally taking rifts to random islands or jumping into the hole and opening the glider at the bottom.

No, I know it's not a requirement to do the zone, but it's fun and carefree with advanced gliding. Without it, I found the zone confusing and stressful and just logged out because I don't need that poo poo in a videogame.

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

All of the adventures are the little stick figure man on the map, you can't miss them, several of them are incredibly easy to gold every time or just take a run or two to learn the pattern to gold every time, a couple aren't worth the time, but you might as well at least silver everything for the achievements and collection requirements or just because some of them can be a fun change of pace for a little bit.

Yeah, I know the icon, I just can't figure out how to get to most of them. This was one of my biggest HoT complaints that I posted extensively about here back in the beta weekends, and it hasn't changed at all. The map is super difficult to navigate. I'm not an idiot, but I just want to relax and have an easy time in videogames and trying to figure out how to get from A to B on the HoT maps is not that.

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

I got a lot of levels in early HoT doing the killstreak booster on the old veteran spider canopy,

This is the route Cletus showed us the last couple days! Spiders and veteren tigers or something, just in a big circle.

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

In the end you really do want to unlock advanced gliding because HoT is night and day to navigate with and without it when your not falling out of the sky and can just lazily glide from the tallest point.

Yup, since unlocking it, gliding is a source of fun and not annoyance now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

CLAM DOWN posted:

Yeah, I know the icon, I just can't figure out how to get to most of them. This was one of my biggest HoT complaints that I posted extensively about here back in the beta weekends, and it hasn't changed at all. The map is super difficult to navigate. I'm not an idiot, but I just want to relax and have an easy time in videogames and trying to figure out how to get from A to B on the HoT maps is not that.

I never found finding them to be a problem, you just go to the icon to begin them, a couple of them are behind doors in tarir, but you only need to find them once and you'll know how to get to them.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

I never found finding them to be a problem, you just go to the icon to begin them, a couple of them are behind doors in tarir, but you only need to find them once and you'll know how to get to them.

I guess I'm just hopeless then :smith: I can never remember.

e: I guess what would be useful for apparently slow people like me, would be some kind of guide where there's a list of adventures, a little map showing where it is or how to get there, then any requirements for it? Like aren't some only open at certain times? I never learned any of this and never saw any kind of learning process or tutorial for this. I'm not someone who goes out of my way to put effort into learning this anymore, I want to have my hand held.

CLAM DOWN fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Jul 29, 2016

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
They are closed during the big event, because they don't want people catching butterflys while the world destroyer is on the warpath, the Tarir ones are always open when not in the big event, the verdant ones a couple of the easy ones in the south you need to show up when their event lines are finished, there is a small window to do the salvage pit on a active map but it takes 30 seconds for a easy gold.

CLAM DOWN posted:

e: I guess what would be useful for apparently slow people like me, would be some kind of guide where there's a list of adventures, a little map showing where it is or how to get there, then any requirements for it? Like aren't some only open at certain times? I never learned any of this and never saw any kind of learning process or tutorial for this. I'm not someone who goes out of my way to put effort into learning this anymore, I want to have my hand held.

Did you try typing /wiki adventure in game? or /wiki the name of the adventure? it has pretty straight forward instructions and has pretty much everything you just asked for.

Adventures give a combined 54k exp daily and 126k exp the first time you get the bronze/silver/gold chests and exp boosts stack on them, they are worth doing for that.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I know how to use the wiki command =\ I don't think you're fully understanding me or I'm not explaining myself well, so let's take this to PMs if you're interested in helping which I appreciate.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

With a about a hour of spare time and all the exp boosters you can find you can fill out the gliding mastery by just doing fast, high exp activities, your choice from doing quick gold medal adventures, jumping in when it's time to boss rush one of the zones like tarir octovine takes 10-15 minutes when it begins and verdant bank night time bosses you can tag all 5 of them and collect the event exp and loot as they get downed.

I tried double dipping the VB night time rally point defenses but only got participation and rewards from one. Does the double dipping trick only work on events that don't end at the same time?

CLAM DOWN posted:

Did you look at the event timer page? It shows when the various HoT meta events start. After discovering this i no longer constantly refresh LFG hoping for a new meta event group to be up and instead roughly know when i should start looking for them.

I am generally in a similar boat as you. When i first started HoT my enjoyment of the game tanked something fierce. The maps were super confusing and all the enemies did way too much damage and had so many stuns, knockdowns, roots and other things that are simply not fun. I kept playing though and feel i have a good grasp of the HoT map layouts now and find myself enjoying HoT. I suppose i also got better at playing the game as the HoT enemies are much less intimidating now.

Ineptitude fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Jul 29, 2016

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Ineptitude posted:

Did you look at the event timer page? It shows when the various HoT meta events start. After discovering this i no longer constantly refresh LFG hoping for a new meta event group to be up.

I am generally in a similar boat as you. When i first started HoT my enjoyment of the game tanked something fierce. The maps were super confusing and all the enemies did way too much damage and had so many stuns, knockdowns, roots and other things that are simply not fun. I kept playing though and feel i have a good grasp of the HoT map layouts now and find myself enjoying HoT. I suppose i also got better at playing the game as the HoT enemies are much less intimidating now.

I'll give the event timer page a try, thanks for understanding :unsmith:

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
The game could really use a 3-D terrain viewer for the new zones. Trying to translate a flat, image into some sort of mental 3D topographical map is hard! Particularly in Tangled Depths.

Youtubing "How to get to <adventure name>" might be helpful with some of them though, Dulfy guides generally include youtube videos (and sometimes picture guides) of how to get to places.

ManSedan
May 7, 2006
Seats 4
My problem is just trying to figure out what to do. The astute Goon may recognize me as then poster a page or two ago who bought HoT on sale and boosted up to 80; at this point I feel horribly underpowered gear-wise and I'm in desperate need of hero points for my specialization. However HoT zones feel too hard for me to make any meaningful progress, same with the new zone (though I've finished the newest LS release). I'm super low on any kind of Masteries too.
So I can slog through my personal story starting at lv10, slog through being underpowered in a confusing jungle, or being underpowered in a big red explosion.
I do enjoy the game a lot it's just kind of a downer atm.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

For hero points the best thing to do is go on Schpyder's train on Tuesday, you will max your spec or get close to it with very little effort and not a lot of time. Otherwise, if you enjoy WvW, you can use your heroic to buy hero points and it will unlock random ones. Dulfy has hero point guides i linked a few pages ago that list off the soloable hero points if the first two options don't work for you. For exp, doing a few adventures you enjoy daily gives a bunch of hot exp, and honestly i made a shitload of regular exp just doing map completion. Fractals are also good for exp. For gear you don't need anything more than exotics, which you can buy off the marketplace or many other ways. I generally make marauders gear for my characters, unless they are specialized for something, it's something like 8% less dps from zerkers for a bunch more health.

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

Again, if you want to get an elite spec mastered, I run a guaranteed full-unlock HP train in HoT every Tuesday evening, 9PM eastern/6PM pacific! We hit 270 HP if you stick with the train from the beginning, and literally the only requirement is basic gliding mastery.

It adds up to a boatload of XP, too. I maxed the new LS mastery with zero boosts on Tuesday, and that's not getting any map unlock experience. When I was running trains with all my alts, I think I was getting 1-1.3 million XP per run with as many XP boosts as I could stack.

This is sadly not an option for Arus except that one time I ran a late train for him, since I usually go to bed right around the time he gets on, and he doesn't play much on the weekends, when it's easiest to coordinate between timezones. :(

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Adventures are really all over the place. I've been doing a lot the past week because I've got all the mastery points I'm going to get from the other sources (I still have a few to get from HoT story achieves which I'm very meh on doing, and there are some in raids which I'm not counting on ever getting either).

Some are fun. Some are very easy. Many are buggy or have mechanics that work very badly with gw2. Some are just stupid. Here is my impression of them:

Tendril Torchers - Horrible. You use a flamethrower to burn little tentacles. You can't reliably target them and your flamethrower will roll dice to determine whether you torch them or not. Very buggy. Not fun.

Bugs in the Branches - I actually like this one. It takes some thinking to plot your routes and get all the bugs and the time can be tight at first but with some practice you can get silver/gold pretty reliably. Fun and doesn't try to do too much with the system.

Flying Circus - They try to throw in some mario cart like powerups to a gliding through hoops challenge. It doesn't really work but it's harmless enough I suppose. Fairly easy to get gold on with a little effort, but you don't feel like you actually accomplished much when you do.

Shooting Gallery - Very twitchy and has an RNG element to it that makes it less fun than it could have been. All you have to do is shoot targets but where they'll pop up and how far away is random. Can be very easy or nearly impossible depending almost entirely on your luck once you get the basics down.

Salvage Pit - One of the easiest in the game, by far. You literally just run around and pick stuff up. I got gold easily with lots of time to spare the first time, with no idea what it was about beforehand.

The Floor is Lava - You basically hop around on mushrooms picking stuff up from the floor and trying to get back up asap. The hoppy around ones work a lot better with the gw2 skills than the others I think. This one is no exception. Its one of the harder hoppy ones but that's not a bad thing.

On Wings of Gold - Along with Salvage Pit one of the two I got gold easily the first time I tried it. You just glide around and run into things and then glide back to the start. Super straightforward, almost guaranteed gold.

Sanctum Scramble - You use slightly modified zephyrite skills to get up the inner of the sanctuary with glint's egg in it, appropriately enough. If that sounds fun to you, you'll enjoy this. If not, you won't. Frequently using the 2 charge and canceling it before you rocket off a ledge is the key to getting gold reliably.

Fallen Masks - You bounce around stuff pressing F near things. Pretty mindless once you figure out a few patterns.

A Fungus Among Us - You get turned into a little mushroom and run an obstacle course. One of the least fun because of how buggy the 2 jump skill is. If it worked reliably I think it would be fun, but it just isn't.

The Ley Line Run - This may be my favorite because I like the gliding ones in general and this is one of the fastest ones. It's basically the flying circus all over again but for some reason it works a lot better here. Getting gold is challenging at first, but easy once you figure it out.

Drone Race - Yet another attempt at mario kart lite. Pretty meh adventure. You just uh, run through stuff. Not much to it. A few tries and you should get it after seeing a few spots to use your bug racing abilities.

Beetle Feast - To be honest I did this one just to get bronze for the collection unlock and haven't gone back. Getting bronze was mindless, silver should be pretty easy.

Haywire Punch-o-Matic - You're a big golem and you punch chak. I stopped after silver on this one because it got me the last point I needed. Silver was simple. Gold probably just takes a few adjustments.

Scrap Field Rifle Test - I think this is the trickiest one in the game other than the ones that get hung up on bugs/glitches etc getting in the way, by which I mean, most actual challenge to it as opposed to just roll again and see if it works frustration. I still haven't got gold but I might actually do it just for the fun of it, which I wouldn't have done with many others.

Overall, despite a few exceptions, adventures were not a fun addition to gw2 and I hope they don't ad any more ever and especially don't make it so you have to do them to fill your mastery points.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
For Tendril Torchers turn on Action Cam and play it like an FPS. Your flamethrower aims where you're facing your camera (you might have to rotate your camera with right click, not sure).

If first person mode bothers you horribly, do it on an Asura with the camera zoomed in pretty far and do it as an over the shoulder third person shooter.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Magres posted:

do it on an Asura

I don't understand

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
Bigger races block more camera when you zoom in. I tried doing Tendril Torchers on my Charr but his big cat butt ate up most of my screen when I zoomed in. Switched to my Asura and had no problems cause they're tiny

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Magres posted:

Bigger races block more camera when you zoom in. I tried doing Tendril Torchers on my Charr but his big cat butt ate up most of my screen when I zoomed in. Switched to my Asura and had no problems cause they're tiny

ugh come on buddy I'm being sarcastic, because the asura are awful little anime rat gremlins

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

CLAM DOWN posted:

I didn't take screenshots, but I did make videos of how to get to each of the Adventures. My guide includes text descriptions of when they are closed and what their (actual) requirements are, in addition to a rating of how easy/hard they are. They're all in my guide:

https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/forum/game/players/Guide-Adventures-Silver-Gold-and-beyond/first

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

CLAM DOWN posted:

ugh come on buddy I'm being sarcastic, because the asura are awful little anime rat gremlins

sarcasm in text is hard okay!!!!

zokie
Feb 13, 2006

Out of many, Sweden

AnacondaHL posted:

I didn't take screenshots, but I did make videos of how to get to each of the Adventures. My guide includes text descriptions of when they are closed and what their (actual) requirements are, in addition to a rating of how easy/hard they are. They're all in my guide:

https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/forum/game/players/Guide-Adventures-Silver-Gold-and-beyond/first

This guide helped me get Gold on everything except poo poo like SCAR rifle, gently caress the targetted skill for leyline jump though. Also I actually got Silver for my first Sanctum Scramble:3:

lucifirius
Mar 7, 2016

Magres posted:

do it on an Asura

I'd have to have an Asura. And play an Asura.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
I have many Asura and they're the best anime gremlins :colbert:

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I have one Asura and she's pretty cool.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

CLAM DOWN posted:

I was sympathetic about your plight with the oblique nature of learning GW2 systems and how to get to places when the only map you get is missing a dimension, but then you said this.

Also I found this while digging through my imgur, SFD gets weird sometimes, and it definitely has NSFW language in it so expand at your own peril.

lucifirius
Mar 7, 2016
wait Lonk, you can't just keep us hanging. tell us the full story of the time you shat so much the toilet was hosed.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).

SlothBear posted:

Adventures?

I have no idea what any of this stuff is. Adventures?

Lonk
Jan 26, 2012

LET'S FUCKING GOOOOOOOO

CLAM DOWN posted:

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Reminder that Arus Asura is spelled the same forwards and backwards.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

God dammit

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.
Disregard, name found.

Waci fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Jul 30, 2016

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Waci posted:

Disregard, name found.

If you were gonna roll Arus Asura, I think I still have that name, and I have to warn you that Arus told me he'd kick me from SFD if I ever brought "that disgusting anime rat" to guild missions ever again.

Edit: just checked, I deleted Arus Asura in favor of an asura named Fail Lord Ringsmith

LITERALLY MY FETISH fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Jul 30, 2016

theSpokeyDokey
Jul 19, 2005
How are Revenants to level? I'm finally gonna get some time to sit down and start playing tonight.

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

BTW anyone with pending GOON join requests, I just sent them all out.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

karn1635 posted:

How are Revenants to level? I'm finally gonna get some time to sit down and start playing tonight.

They don't get passive move speed boosts until their elite spec. Other than that they're fine.

rargphlam
Dec 16, 2008
i do all my jumping puzzles on my charr because i like living life on the edge

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
If I were to get back into this, when should I get HOTS? I missed the sale and I don't have any characters near cap yet...

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

Unlucky7 posted:

If I were to get back into this, when should I get HOTS? I missed the sale and I don't have any characters near cap yet...

HoT doesn't really add anything for you if you're not at cap (except of course the new class), but it now comes with a token that levels 1 character to 80 with a full set of Exotic gear (the best practical gear you can get).

zokie
Feb 13, 2006

Out of many, Sweden

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

If you were gonna roll Arus Asura, I think I still have that name, and I have to warn you that Arus told me he'd kick me from SFD if I ever brought "that disgusting anime rat" to guild missions ever again.

Edit: just checked, I deleted Arus Asura in favor of an asura named Fail Lord Ringsmith

Good thing I can never make Guild missions, because now I have a new character...

Focacciasaurus_Rex
Dec 13, 2010
Any fellow people bad at raids want to do some raid practice before thursday?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007
I know this isn't going to be popular, but the new zone is cool and I had fun playing a video game.

• Locked thread