Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ups_rail
Dec 8, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
http://www.computerworld.com/articl...shman-year.html

quote:

The most important ingredient in Windows 10's success during its first 12 months wasn't even a product feature, analysts said today as the operating system completed its freshman year.
windows 10 devices laptops tablets
Windows as a Service: What's it mean?

Microsoft's decision to unveil a subscription licensing model for Windows 10 for enterprises could be a
Read Now

"It was the fact that Microsoft was willing to learn from its mistakes, then make course corrections," Steve Kleynhans of Gartner said when asked to pinpoint Windows 10's most significant accomplishment. "There was a lot more of that with Windows 10. Microsoft made subtle adjustments, like the pace of updating the OS for enterprises, and they eventually softened on some of the more aggressive techniques for [the] Get Windows 10 [upgrade campaign]."

Ezra Gottheil, an analyst with Technology Business Research, echoed Kleynhans. "I can answer that with one word: 'listening,'" said Gottheil when asked the same question about 10's first 12 months.

Microsoft launched Windows 10 on July 29, 2015, and since then has convinced customers to put the operating system on more than 350 million devices, a record adoption pace. But the process of creating, updating, modifying, tweaking and upgrading Windows 10 ended up being more important in the eyes of experts than the OS itself.

"To make a better product, you have to become incredible empathic, which is what Apple does, or poll and collect feedback and listen, and at each step knock off the rough spots," said Gottheil. "It's a little inelegant, but if you don't do bad things, what's left is pretty good.

Microsoft chose the second path, said Gottheil, and for a good reason: "They don't have a lot of empathy for most end users," he said. "So that's what they did with Windows 10."

The result? "It's a lot smoother product than Microsoft has produced in many years, or perhaps ever," he argued.

Kleynhans concurred. "The Windows 10 Anniversary Update is a much more polished product than Microsoft shipped last year. It's polished in ways not even thought of last year. I like that feeling that they're being responsive."
Is your office printer a security risk?

SponsoredPost Sponsored by HPI

Is your office printer a security risk?

How safe is your data? Your unsecured printer could be putting your business at risk. Hear from a CISO and HP security experts what you can do to protect your network. Watch the on-demand webinar.

Microsoft's transparency within Windows' development has waxed and waned, then waxed again, over 30 years. The regime run by former executive Steven Sinofsky was the waning part of that cycle -- Windows 8 was developed under tight secrecy -- but Microsoft loosened up with the skipping-a-numeral successor.

Considerable credit to the listen-learn-release model's success must be given to Windows Insider, the preview program Microsoft has run for nearly two years. Feedback from Insiders, the company said incessantly, was crucial to guiding 10's development. But analysts also called out other sources, notably the largest and most important corporate customers, who aren't shy about giving the vendor a piece of their minds. "There's lots of feedback that isn't as visible as Insider," Kleynhans said.

Yet Microsoft didn't sail through the year without missteps and blunders; plenty bedeviled Windows 10, even as it garnered accolades from reviewers and hundreds of millions of users.
What Readers Like

"They had hoped to get more people to upgrade than they did," said Kleynhans, pointing out Microsoft's recent retreat from a goal of putting Windows 10 on a billion devices by mid-2018. "And they didn't get the totally positive spin in the press that they were expecting," something that curtailed upgrades on the part of people who otherwise would have pulled the trigger.

Among the things mishandled, Kleynhans highlighted the concerns over Windows 10's aggressive telemetric data collection and the even-more-combative upgrade campaign.

Gottheil focused on the latter when asked whether any false moves came to mind. "I'd say the whole 'We're going to fool you into upgrading,'" he said, referring to the deception Microsoft practiced between March and June.

During those months, Microsoft interpreted a click on the red "X" in an upgrade-now pop-up as authorizing the upgrade rather than ignoring the notification, bucking decades of convention as well as Microsoft's own design guidelines. Microsoft repealed that interpretation four weeks ago.

"This was Microsoft saying, 'We know what's best for you,'" Gottheil said of the initial stance.

But that didn't stop him from praising Windows 10's debut year. "I'd give it an A-," Gottheil said. "There are still some hiccups, but doubling down on Cortana and adding Ink is important for the long term."

Kleynhans marked Windows 10 with two grades, not one.

"Windows 10 is a really solid product," Kleynhans said. "But the messaging and PR and general handling of all that detracted. The product deserves an A, Microsoft has provided some good updates and 350 million [copies installed] is an outstanding number. But Microsoft's handling of Windows 10, that was a C or even C-. So overall, B for the first year."

They should have given it an F and how the gently caress do they get credit for toning down the get win 10 poo poo,

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

And then he started whining about not getting free poo poo when GWX went away.

Joe 30330
Dec 20, 2007

"We have this notion that if you're poor, you cannot do it. Poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids."

As the audience reluctantly began to applaud during the silence, Biden tried to fix his remarks.

"Wealthy kids, black kids, Asian kids -- no, I really mean it." Biden said.
It is a great day. RIP gwx

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014
so if you enable some assistive technologies you can still upgrade for free?

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer

Snapchat A Titty posted:

someone change this so the cat flips off the viewer

that's already symbolised by the Windows logo

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

I'm still wondering why a ninja cat.

chestnut santabag
Jul 3, 2006

Sir Unimaginative posted:

I'm still wondering why a ninja cat.

because microsoft is cool again!!!!!

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

Yeah that was kind of a weird marketing pivot.

Maximum Leader posted:

I don't know if you even have to go that far, it may not check for assistance devices or software running, but I'd rather not be That Guy.

lazydog
Apr 15, 2003

Maximum Leader posted:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/accessibility/windows10upgrade

you don't have to enable anything. the faq says there is no restriction to any specific assistive technologies. if you feel that you have been assisted in some way by technology, you can still upgrade for free. maybe your keyboard assists you when you want to type something, or maybe your browser assists you in using The Internet

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

Oh.

Well, my humanity has been disabled by capitalism, and my network connection assists me to shitpost, so.

*yoink*

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Jul 30, 2016

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

lazydog posted:

you don't have to enable anything. the faq says there is no restriction to any specific assistive technologies. if you feel that you have been assisted in some way by technology, you can still upgrade for free. maybe your keyboard assists you when you want to type something, or maybe your browser assists you in using The Internet

wish your computer would assist you with not posting

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

anthonypants posted:

rip Ultimate

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.
wheres the satya edition

Video Nasty
Jun 17, 2003

Mods: new thread title, please!

quote:

Microsoft: if you don't do bad things, what's left is pretty good.

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

lazydog posted:

Sometimes I don't plug a mouse in and I just use the keyboard mouse feature when I actually need to use the keyboard, or I use sticky keys to help me in a game because my finger is getting sore from holding down Ctrl for too long or something. So how much longer could I have put off the lovely upgrade? Oh, the page says they haven't even announced an end date yet! Is this some kind of "out" so they can say "oh yeah we stuck to our plan of only making it free for a year, we definitely do what we say" but maybe magazines will carry articles saying "it's still not too late!" and more people will get their free upgrades, so hopefully they can get to a billion devices running Windows 10 before the heat death of the universe?

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

id like to thank windows 10 for reminding me how good linux is

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

a big pile of garbage that you should never choose over windows regardless of its shortcomings?

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

a big pile of garbage that you should never choose over windows regardless of its shortcomings?

thats windows 10 vs windows 7

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

a passionate plea from the King of Windows CJs

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Malcolm XML posted:

wheres the satya edition

satya wants desperately to be Steve Jobs and Steve Jobs didn't do autographs

(as Violet Blue found out that one time)

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

Blue Train posted:

id like to thank windows 10 for reminding me how good linux is

:same:

This never happened to me:

pre:
[btcpurse@redhat ~]$ 21 mine
You just got a bitcoin!
[btcpurse@redhat ~]$

Congratulations! You can now upgrade to Red Hat Enterprise Linux 10!
Hit Enter to start the upgrade process:^C

Interrupt received, starting upgrade anyway because why wouldn't you want to upgrade?
I feel like I'd like to start working on ReactOS.

Am I the only one who prefers Windows 8 because it might have a crazy user interface but it at least still does what you want it to do? Everyone I know seems to say "at least 10 is better than 8", maybe it's just me :downs:

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Buttcoin purse posted:

:same:

This never happened to me:

pre:
[btcpurse@redhat ~]$ 21 mine
You just got a bitcoin!
[btcpurse@redhat ~]$

Congratulations! You can now upgrade to Red Hat Enterprise Linux 10!
Hit Enter to start the upgrade process:^C

Interrupt received, starting upgrade anyway because why wouldn't you want to upgrade?
I feel like I'd like to start working on ReactOS.

Am I the only one who prefers Windows 8 because it might have a crazy user interface but it at least still does what you want it to do? Everyone I know seems to say "at least 10 is better than 8", maybe it's just me :downs:
8 and 8.1 is bad

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

8.1 was a better OS than 10 as long as you had Classic Shell installed

It fits in with the bad-good-bad cycle as well

95 good
98 bad
98se good
ME bad
2000 good
XP bad
7 good
8 bad
8.1 good
10 bad

[edit] Vista didn't exist

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

error1 posted:

magical reasoning lol

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
1. 8.1 is not a separate windows version. remove it and your pattern becomes correct
2. "oh yeah windows 8 is fine except for the entirety of it that shows on my screen and which I interact with. that bit's awful. but the rest of it is fine"

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

error1 posted:

8.1 was a better OS than 10 as long as you had Classic Shell installed

It fits in with the bad-good-bad cycle as well

95 good
98 bad
98se good
ME bad
2000 good
XP bad
7 good
8 bad
8.1 good
10 bad

[edit] Vista didn't exist

I never count 2000 since it wasn't really used by non-business types AFAIK, so:

95 good
98 bad
98se good
ME bad
XP good
Vista bad
7 good
8 bad
10 must be good?

atomicthumbs posted:

2. "oh yeah windows 8 is fine except for the entirety of it that shows on my screen and which I interact with. that bit's awful. but the rest of it is fine"

This but unironically.

I mean occasionally I hit the Windows key and some horrible full-screen start menu replacement comes up, I type a few letters to identify the program I want to start and hit enter, and then I'm back to the mostly-familiar desktop. And Classic Shell can fix that but to be honest most of the time it's a lot nicer to just type stuff and not have to scroll anyway, so I can kind of live with the start screen.

Windows 8 just felt to me like 7 but I got forced into starting my programs in a more efficient way, which is hard to complain about (except when the search takes a really long time to complete). Maybe I'm just looking back with rose-tinted glasses though.

I hope nobody is offended by my bad and incorrect opinions decorated with punctuation :v:

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

Buttcoin purse posted:

I never count 2000 since it wasn't really used by non-business types AFAIK

lol if you didn't know pc gamers who thought xp would waste precious resources and ran 2000 instead.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
man I should build a pIII machine to run win2k

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

ohh I should find an nvidia nv1 to put in it too

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

jony neuemonic posted:

lol if you didn't know pc gamers who thought xp would waste precious resources and ran 2000 instead.

you forgot where you are?

half the windows 10 update now train was that pc gamer

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

ok maybe the nv1 is a little old for a circa 2000 computer. also yikes they are selling for a premium if you can find one

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

jony neuemonic posted:

*raises paw*

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
win2k pro SUPREMACY!!!!!! :thurman: :dukedoge:

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Buttcoin purse posted:

I never count 2000 since it wasn't really used by non-business types AFAIK, so:

95 good
98 bad
98se good
ME bad
XP good
Vista bad
7 good
8 bad
10 must be good?

This but unironically.

I mean occasionally I hit the Windows key and some horrible full-screen start menu replacement comes up, I type a few letters to identify the program I want to start and hit enter, and then I'm back to the mostly-familiar desktop. And Classic Shell can fix that but to be honest most of the time it's a lot nicer to just type stuff and not have to scroll anyway, so I can kind of live with the start screen.

Windows 8 just felt to me like 7 but I got forced into starting my programs in a more efficient way, which is hard to complain about (except when the search takes a really long time to complete). Maybe I'm just looking back with rose-tinted glasses though.

I hope nobody is offended by my bad and incorrect opinions decorated with punctuation :v:

all of these aids infected words are stupid and useless. you must have a bnrain propblem, including the dude you qutoed. heres how ppl who arent loving dumb as bricks did windows:

98 or wuatyever who cares in the Stone Age -> 2k Pro -> XP -> 7 -> 10. No deviation accetped. No alternatives allowed.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

ADINSX posted:

*raises paw*

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
I feel like before windows 10 came out I was using 8.1 with Classic Shell but it feels like a loving fever dream at this point so I don't know if I actually did or not

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

man looks like everyone was using the 440BX chipset in 2000, i820/i840 is very hard to find

• Locked thread