Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
haakman
May 5, 2011

jabby posted:

This isn't right. You get QTS upon completing your PGCE (or other teaching qualification). You are just classed as an NQT (newly qualified teacher) until you have completed a years induction.

Not requiring QTS is literally not requiring 'teachers' to have any training whatsoever. Any random person off the street whether they have any qualifications or not can become a teacher at a free school.

I mean, I don't want to pull a 'my dad is bigger than your dad' but both my wife ano I are teachers. Neither of us have either QTS or QTLS and I am looking at my framed PGCE ceradicate at this very moment. I have also taught on teacher training courses for 3 years. Your QTS is an active choice you make - it's part, usually, of your NQT year, but it's not essential anymore. It's the teaching equivalent of your training year in Law, if your PGCE is your LPC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

Steve2911 posted:

I'm ok with this wedding anniversary celebration.

On an opposite version of this thread people laugh at some one criticising some one drinking a glass of wine on his wedding anniversary as well.

Sycophantry
Jan 4, 2009
That's strange, as I am a primary school teacher and QTS was awarded to me given the completion of my PGCE course. In fact, the course was clearly split separately, with the post-grad certificate being awarded as a result of the academic assignments completed on the course, and QTS given as a result of successful completion of the three in-school placements.

I remember it quite clearly because there was a cock-up in my case and the University did not award me QTS properly, which meant that the county council that employed me refused to put me on the payroll as a teacher until it was all sorted out. I literally could not be paid the main scale of a qualified teacher until the system had my qualification. (By which I mean QTS, not the PGCE. The latter is purely academic.)

a neurotic ai
Mar 22, 2012
Just been reading more about this micheala school thing and it is absolutely horrendous. Their uniform policy is so strict that they'll force a kid to shave an eyebrow off if they deign to have any lines in it.

gently caress these draconian assholes. I would've gone legit insane at this school. You're building robotic thinkers for a society that is going to increasingly rely on the opposite you fools.

haakman
May 5, 2011
Lots of providers do offer QTS in addition to the PGCE as standard, given that the things you need to do to obtain QTS tie in nicely with your PGCE year but it's not automatically granted - might be different for primary of course.

Sixth Forms don't require you to have QTS to teach in them, nor FE colleges.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Ocrassus posted:

gently caress these draconian assholes. I would've gone legit insane at this school. You're building robotic thinkers for a society that is going to increasingly rely on the opposite you fools.

Actually having a layer of robotic management level and lower workers who unquestioningly follow their masters is exactly what the British economy needs.

Alternative pop culture reference: Nah, only the Alphas/aristocracy/Talents/Inner Circle Party Members will need creativity, the Omegas/serfs/Drones/proles can't be given the ability to think for themselves or they'll only cause trouble.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Breath Ray posted:

What are Corbyns aims for the middle East?

A peace process founded on political discussion with the peoples (note, not the leaders necessarily) of the middle east.

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

i am an advocate for having qualified statuses, even tho it's completely different careers, i am a qualified registered nurse, and currently to practice as a nurse you have to complete a degree and be registered with the nursing midwifery council, however they government are starting to introduce associate nurses, who will take over many tasks that i currently do, like dispense medications, do assessments and other procedures, without being registered or having a qualified status, whilst this sounds nice in theory, having extra manpower etc, its actually going to be an utter nightmare as they have no real accountability, with a qualified nurse being accountable for their actions

what i am trying to say is that im sure there is no real difference when it comes to the teaching, however i know that i would feel better that my children were being taught by a registered qualified professional, rather than someone who's just done the training, much like id be more comfortable being treated by a registered qualified nurse, than someone who hasn't had that extra training and accountability

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Looke posted:

i am an advocate for having qualified statuses, even tho it's completely different careers, i am a qualified registered nurse, and currently to practice as a nurse you have to complete a degree and be registered with the nursing midwifery council, however they government are starting to introduce associate nurses, who will take over many tasks that i currently do, like dispense medications, do assessments and other procedures, without being registered or having a qualified status, whilst this sounds nice in theory, having extra manpower etc, its actually going to be an utter nightmare as they have no real accountability, with a qualified nurse being accountable for their actions

what i am trying to say is that im sure there is no real difference when it comes to the teaching, however i know that i would feel better that my children were being taught by a registered qualified professional, rather than someone who's just done the training, much like id be more comfortable being treated by a registered qualified nurse, than someone who hasn't had that extra training and accountability
I'm just looking forward to having to revalidate next year

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

my trust are running a revalidation training day because we're all retarded

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

Who is Dave Camerons fav Star Wars character?

Porkins

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

i was gonna say a gamoreon guard, but tahts gd too

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010

Baron Corbyn posted:

William Hague did a pretty sympathetic article on him back during the last leadership election debunking some Labour MPs who were claiming Corbyn never spoke at parliament or something (while still saying he wasn't a good choice for leader) saying that Corbyn's big thing was a nuclear free Middle East and he'd always talk about it with Hague when he was foreign secretary.

Thanks, that's interesting. How would this be achieved do you think?

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

lolllllll the second paragraph of the wiki page for the guy running against Corbyn says he was a lobbyist for Pfizer

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

namesake posted:

Actually having a layer of robotic management level and lower workers who unquestioningly follow their masters is exactly what the British economy needs.

Alternative pop culture reference: Nah, only the Alphas/aristocracy/Talents/Inner Circle Party Members will need creativity, the Omegas/serfs/Drones/proles can't be given the ability to think for themselves or they'll only cause trouble.

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Winner Of The TRP I dont actually remember the contest im pretty high right now here's your venkys tag

It really is a shame that the last hope for the left in the country is so massively incompetent.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Breath Ray posted:

Thanks, that's interesting. How would this be achieved do you think?

It's a very unlikely goal considering you're asking Israel to give up nukes without giving them anything in return.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

icantfindaname posted:

lolllllll the second paragraph of the wiki page for the guy running against Corbyn says he was a lobbyist for Pfizer

Chocolate Teapot
May 8, 2009

Baron Corbyn posted:

It's a very unlikely goal considering you're asking Israel to give up nukes without giving them anything in return.

It's a more courageous goal than other centrist wants.

"What do we want?"
"Stability in the middle east!"
"When do we want it?"
"Within a reasonable timeframe!"

dispatch_async
Nov 28, 2014

Imagine having the time to have played through 20 generations of one family in The Sims 2. Imagine making the original two members of that family Neil Buchanan and Cat Deeley. Imagine complaining to Maxis there was no technological progression. You've successfully imagined my life
Anti-Corbyn MPs planning split 'will sue Labour so they can use its name'

quote:

A group of rebel Labour MPs are planning to split off into a new group and sue the remainder of their old party so they can use its name, it has been reported.

The Daily Telegraph newspaper says “embryonic” plans are being hatched for a “semi-split” in the event Jeremy Corbyn wins this summer’s leadership election again.

The approach would see a legal challenge launched for Labour assets, branding and property.

MPs would also elect an alternative leader to Mr Corbyn from amongst their own number, and appeal to the Speaker to recognise them as the official opposition if they had enough support.

If fully successful that approach would effectively see the rebels take party control of the party through the courts having just lost the leadership election.

“We can be liberated from the drag anchor and the poison that is Jeremy and his team and would be able to take the fight to the Tories,” one MP told the newspaper.

A second is reported to have said: “The notion that we’ll all go back to happy families is nonsense.”

Here we loving go…

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

Wasn't there rumbling of that before the leadership challenge was officially made? While they were still timing the resignations.

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.
Yeah it's been their endgame for a while. Someone said the courts hate getting involved in democratic issues though so they don't have much hope, plus if successful it would open them up to responsibility and lawsuits from current donors who support corbyn, like the unions and the hundreds of thousands of members who signed up for him. They think they have nothing to lose at this point due to mandatory reselection with boundary changes.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

I suppose if my job was entirely about grifting off the money of others I would do everything I could to protect it.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

I'm no lawyer so I'm open to being proven wrong on this, but how on earth are they going to have a legal leg to stand on? When you object to a decision made by an organisation that was made using the organisation's own rules and decide to gently caress off what could possibly entitle you to any part of that organisation? Does ownership of the name of Labour legally fall to whoever is most blessed by the ghost of Keir Hardie and they have to drag his skeleton into the courtroom as a witness or what

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Angepain posted:

Does ownership of the name of Labour legally fall to whoever is most blessed by the ghost of Keir Hardie and they have to drag his skeleton into the courtroom as a witness or what

That'd be pretty funny as I'm pretty sure Keir Hardie would tell the Blairite wing to get in the sea.

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Oh, poppycock! Female bandits?

Personally, I'm largely convinced that the accusations of incompetence and lack of communication are basically true. This is another well reasoned and specific set of criticisms.

jabby posted:

This reads like she spent months working on a policy for SEN kids, then saw one tweet by John McDonnell that vaguely had something to do with autism and threw up her hands screaming 'I've been totally undermined'. All of which is probably true, apart from the the whole spending months working on a policy bit.

Come now, if you've some specific evidence to show that she did nothing during her employment as shadow minister then pony up, otherwise surely this is just a slur against someone who's reached a decision you don't like?

Manic_Misanthrope posted:

Wasn't there rumbling of that before the leadership challenge was officially made? While they were still timing the resignations.

Yeah, I've definitely read this before somewhere. The thing is, I don't think they'd be successful. A court has effectively just confirmed the constitutional correctness of Jeremy's inclusion in the leadership contest (which is actually quite helpful for him, with hindsight). If his election as leader is in accordance with the Labour party rules, you can't just split from an organisation and then get a court to steal assets for you.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
a labour party without the support of the unions would be stupid as gently caress

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Namtab posted:

I never said that it would be. It won't be.
Sorry, misunderstood what you meant.

And I mostly just like to laugh at the notion that privatisation is about efficiency.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Jose posted:

a labour party without the support of the unions would be stupid as gently caress
So it'd fit perfectly with their plans of the past few months?

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Well, at least they gave Labour £4.5 million in £25 supporters fees to help fight this stupid legal battle before they started it.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Baron Corbyn posted:

Well, at least they gave Labour £4.5 million in £25 supporters fees to help fight this stupid legal battle before they started it.

They probably won't be allowed to use that money, too. The winner of the case would have the right to control those funds AFAICT, either them or the NEC and the NEC is unlikely to vote to finance people calling them illegitimate.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

namesake posted:

Literally early Victorian educational policy except they said (and possibly sincerely believed) that education would make the working class unhappy and they were better living in ignorance.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Literally early Victorian educational policy except they said (and possibly sincerely believed) that education would make the working class unhappy and they were better living in ignorance.

As shown in Brave New World.

OvineYeast
Jul 16, 2007

Freiheit ist immer Freiheit der Andersdenkenden

Prince John posted:

Personally, I'm largely convinced that the accusations of incompetence and lack of communication are basically true. This is another well reasoned and specific set of criticisms.

I mean to be honest this sounds like the kind of thing that happens in every organisation I've ever been in.

Although actually, having re-read it, I'm not really entirely clear what the grievance is here. She'd been working on a policy about SEN and then John McDonnell independently announced an Autism Manifesto? Which need not be strictly concerned with SEN as such in any case.

Perhaps I'm missing something but I don't really see how that constitutes undermining. Lack of communication clearly an issue but it seems like she's blowing an incident out of proportion for political ends here.

OvineYeast fucked around with this message at 12:24 on Jul 30, 2016

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Educated (but educated to follow orders) sounds a lot like the late 19th century Prussian education program.

Which produced no negative after effects.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Could be champagne and strawberry juice I guess :getin:

Junkozeyne
Feb 13, 2012

Tesseraction posted:

As shown in Brave New World.

I don't think you can 'show' something in a fictional book. That is the same level of stupid as Judge Scalia defending torture with the fictional tv show '24'.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

The utterly unwarranted confidence is the most incredible thing of the whole charade

last time this was in the press, it was specifically mentioned that they think they'd get the short money.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Spangly A posted:

last time this was in the press, it was specifically mentioned that they think they'd get the short money.

loving how

e: like i tell you what, some law firm is making crazy retainer bank off these people. sure, you can sue him off a private club's decision. yes, you'll get the money for the Labour party when you decide not to be the Labour party.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OvineYeast
Jul 16, 2007

Freiheit ist immer Freiheit der Andersdenkenden

Spangly A posted:

The utterly unwarranted confidence is the most incredible thing of the whole charade

They probably would, if they were a majority of the PLP. Keeping the Labour name unlikely to be an option though.

• Locked thread