Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Brodeurs Nanny posted:

I'm taking Anthony Mantha. Two 20-goal years in the AHL, still on his ELC, and I think he looked great in his 10 NHL games. Making my sweet team:

Parise-Bergeron-Simmonds
Steen-Kadri-Buchnevich
Beleskey-Karlsson-Mantha

Doughty-McNabb
Werenski-Hamonic

Elliot

Hrm. drat. Thought he might drop one more time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

To sign them is my real test

With full no movement clause

Jordan7hm posted:

I'm picking 6'7 Andrej Sustr.

fuuuuuuuuuuuuuckkkk

I picked Zucker because I got blinded by all the speed :( I knew I should've taken him or Manson

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Eh I think my D is actually pretty good. Those guys all push the play and skate, they would do a great job keeping those forwards out of their end. I was debating between Schmaltz and Mantha but I think Schmaltz is actually more likely to play this year. I also wouldn't necessarily have to play Rantanen/Connor together, it just depends. I've got 3 young wingers and 3 vet wingers so I could go Vet/Vet/Rookie on each line in the top 9.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

stab posted:

Ghostbear-fowler
Holy sweet Jesus this pairing will get eviscerated.

Also your left and right wings are on the wrong sides and I don't think Koivu has ever in his career played wing (but Schenn has and did most of last season I think)

Also I can't wait to do mid-season check-ups on all you guys and your 19 year-old top line wingers and defenseman because statistically almost none of them are going to be impact players, it just doesn't happen.

Good Soldier Svejk fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Jul 30, 2016

tofes
Mar 31, 2011

#1 Milpitas Dave and Buster's superfan since 2013
“Anthony Mantha was a spare part in the (AHL) Calder Cup playoffs a year ago. Why does anyone think he is going to be the answer in Detroit?” - Ken Holland

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Yeah it's true McDavid, Eichel, Bennett, Fabbri, Domi, Duclair, Ehlers, and Reinhart had no impact last year.

And this isn't rotisserie you dolt, we're trying to build teams with more than next season in mind.

tofes
Mar 31, 2011

please do not equate my own opinions to that of ken holland's thanks

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
That was to the Penguins fan -- agreed that Mantha is risky because Holland seems to have soured on him and they have like 80 forwards.

Did you guys know that Max Domi actually scored zero NHL points in his 19 year old season? He actually couldn't even skate that year I hear, I don't think you learn that until you're in the NHL.

T-Bone fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Jul 30, 2016

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Jakub Vrana got injured last season and missed a few months but came back, posted over a PPG in a little under half of his first AHL season, then was second on Hershey in playoff scoring. He is a skilled prospect who can play all three forward positions but will likely end up a winger of higher value than the grindy veterans I considered. He doesn't stand a great chance of making the Capitals right away but we'll see. Most importantly, I took him last year and therefore won't need to sdd another player to my to-follow list.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

To sign them is my real test

With full no movement clause

T-Bone posted:

Did you guys know that Max Domi actually scored zero NHL points in his 19 year old season? He actually couldn't even skate that year I hear, I don't think you learn that until you're in the NHL.

can he skate backward? y/n

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Rather than being snarky and making GBS threads on all your bad teams I got wrapped up in researching and I actually found some interesting and strangely consistent facts about young players in the NHL relative to their draft year and position. It's simple filtering but my criteria was as followed:

Played 41 games in the season and was drafted in the starting year's draft class and was not selected 1 or 2nd overall (because those are almost always a given, if need be add 2 to the totals)
1 - 2015
1 - 2014
4 - 2013
1 - 2012
2 - 2011
3 - 2010

Same but was drafted in the current or previous year's draft:
10 - 2015 (2014 + 2015 draft class)
11 - 2014 (2013 + 2014 draft class, etc)
12 - 2013
8 - 2012
11 - 2011
10 - 2010

Same but included the previous two draft classes:
26 - 2015
25 - 2014
25 - 2013
12 - 2012
34 - 2011
28 - 2010

It's eerily consistent. Not sure exactly what attributes to that anomaly in 2012. It would seam that the 2010 class took a little longer to develop.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

eXXon posted:

Jakub Vrana got injured last season and missed a few months but came back, posted over a PPG in a little under half of his first AHL season, then was second on Hershey in playoff scoring. He is a skilled prospect who can play all three forward positions but will likely end up a winger of higher value than the grindy veterans I considered. He doesn't stand a great chance of making the Capitals right away but we'll see. Most importantly, I took him last year and therefore won't need to sdd another player to my to-follow list.

I like him. He has real upside. He's in a bad spot in real life based on who Washington has in front of him, and the coach. Probably going to tear up the AHL for one more year, or at least a substantial part of it.

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

Holy sweet Jesus this pairing will get eviscerated.

Also your left and right wings are on the wrong sides and I don't think Koivu has ever in his career played wing (but Schenn has and did most of last season I think)

Also I can't wait to do mid-season check-ups on all you guys and your 19 year-old top line wingers and defenseman because statistically almost none of them are going to be impact players, it just doesn't happen.

Bah that'll be for the coach of Team Character to make the lines pretty

And yeah, i would split those two d guys up with bogo and beauchemin

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black
Let me get Braydon Coburn

Technetium
Oct 26, 2006

TRILOBITE TECHNICIAN
QUITE POSSIBLY GAY

lazerwolf posted:

Let me get Braydon Coburn

you're a son of a bitch

T-Bone posted:

Yeah it's true McDavid, Eichel, Bennett, Fabbri, Domi, Duclair, Ehlers, and Reinhart had no impact last year.

And this isn't rotisserie you dolt, we're trying to build teams with more than next season in mind.

True but no one looks at these in three years, you want to build a starting lineup and I also want to look at my team next year and go "yeah thats a good team right there that I built"

For once

Technetium fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Jul 30, 2016

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Technetium posted:

True but no one looks at these in three years, you want to build a starting lineup and I also want to look at my team next year and go "yeah thats a good team right there that I built"

I look at all of my teams every year so you're wrong.

I'm still waiting for Yak city to break out.

Technetium
Oct 26, 2006

TRILOBITE TECHNICIAN
QUITE POSSIBLY GAY

eXXon posted:

I look at all of my teams every year so you're wrong.

I'm still waiting for Yak city to break out.

But no one else does so you can't brag

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Technetium posted:

But no one else does so you can't brag

That's demonstrably false, I don't let no one else caring stop me.

Technetium
Oct 26, 2006

TRILOBITE TECHNICIAN
QUITE POSSIBLY GAY

eXXon posted:

That's demonstrably false, I don't let no one else caring stop me.

Well as long as you're happy

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots
Is anyone going to be around today that I can send my pics to in case it gets to me?

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Flyinglemur posted:

Is anyone going to be around today that I can send my pics to in case it gets to me?

I'm generally around always, and should be today as well.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

Technetium posted:

you're a son of a bitch

For once

I'm not smart enough to build a good team out of an evenly balanced draft like this. So instead I picked some young guys so I can look at my team and go "well they aren't that good right now but maybe the young guys will be good enough eventually"

aka the irl Winnipeg Jets

Technetium
Oct 26, 2006

TRILOBITE TECHNICIAN
QUITE POSSIBLY GAY

gently caress I keep forgetting lazerwolf picks before me on the turn sorry.

In that case I'm going to go with who I think is actually the best coach working today with Darryl Sutter.

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

Metapod can pick but as of 12:39 was skipped

Ginette Reno is up right now, with FBS and stab to follow

tofes
Mar 31, 2011

Technetium posted:

gently caress I keep forgetting lazerwolf picks before me on the turn sorry.

In that case I'm going to go with who I think is actually the best coach working today with Darryl Sutter.

He's a boring poo poo

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Rob scuderi is who Colorado selects. Also I apologize for constantly taking all the time it keeps becoming my pick before or during I go to sleep then forget about it when I wake up

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

Technetium posted:

you're a son of a bitch

For once

Just play actual fantasy hockey then. Points are a function of usage/TOI, not a direct correlation to what they actually did in the NHL. Like for whoever drafted Kyle Palmieri last year -- what's the point of bragging about his big year when you probably drafted him for your third/4th line and he would have been buried just like he was in Anaheim. It's the same thing for prospects who didn't play: Max Domi in a scoring role in 14-15 would have still probably scored 35-45 points. We can extrapolate that from his CHL totals. NHL teams decide not to play rookies for all sorts of reasons, many of them having little to do with their actual ability. Vrana should be in the NHL right now but he's blocked -- that means gently caress all when it comes to how he would actually do if given a real scoring role.

T-Bone fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Jul 30, 2016

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Metapod posted:

Rob scuderi is who Colorado selects. Also I apologize for constantly taking all the time it keeps becoming my pick before or during I go to sleep then forget about it when I wake up

Why would you do this?
I have to know the reasoning

Technetium
Oct 26, 2006

TRILOBITE TECHNICIAN
QUITE POSSIBLY GAY

T-Bone posted:

Just play actual fantasy hockey then. Points are a function of usage/TOI, not a direct correlation to what they actually did in the NHL. Like for whoever drafted Kyle Palmieri last year -- what's the point of bragging about his big year when you probably drafted him for your third/4th line and he would have been buried just like he was in Anaheim. It's the same thing for prospects who didn't play: Max Domi in a scoring role in 14-15 would have still probably scored 35-45 points. We can extrapolate that from his CHL totals. NHL teams decide not to play rookies for all sorts of reasons, many of them having little to do with their actual ability. Vrana should be in the NHL right now but he's blocked -- that means gently caress all when it comes to how he would actually do if given a real scoring role.

I mean you're right but I care about concrete bragging over fantasy bragging in this dumb time waster activity

Technetium
Oct 26, 2006

TRILOBITE TECHNICIAN
QUITE POSSIBLY GAY

Metapod posted:

What the hell

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

Why would you do this?
I have to know the reasoning

He adds much needed veteran leadership to the locker room

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
I'll take Matt Calvert

Zacha-Malkin-Hossa
Landeskog-Kuznetsov-Henrique
Couturier-Calvert

Boychuk-Greene
Gudas-Daley
Matheson

Murray

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

FBS has until 4:39, followed by stab and Paulocaust

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Technetium posted:

I mean you're right but I care about concrete bragging over fantasy bragging in this dumb time waster activity

i'm mainly just looking for guys who i can take for my fantasy hockey league teams, or at least that's what kept me interested in the previous drafts.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

phone posting but gimme Alex Burmistrov because I desperately need to believe he's not broken

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high

FBS posted:

phone posting but gimme Alex Burmistrov because I desperately need to believe he's not broken

You bastard.

Since fbs sniped my pick and im on full tilt im going to take a lousy dman to make cam fowler not so poo poo

Johnny Oduya

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

Paulocaust is skipped. ThinkTank is up followed by The RECAPITATOR and Otis Reddit

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Pretty sure Think Tank's time was up right at 10 so RECAPITATOR gets to pick first thing in the morning right?

mentholmoose
Nov 5, 2009

YKNOW THERES ONLY ONE DIRECTION I KNOW AND THATS DRIVIN STRAIGHT TO THE NET
Six minutes off. ThinkTank should have until 10:06 AM tomorrow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

I take Brandon Montour

• Locked thread