Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

wilderthanmild posted:

That seems like a risk considering he had a non-zero chance of getting a gun in that situation.

If it's a standard jail door I think the guards can shoot at him without opening it, so he'd have to punch the door down first before being able to attack the guards.

I mean Legendary prisoners CAN manage that, but it's more likely he'll just get shot to death beforehand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

FreudianSlippers posted:

If that had happened I would've just spawned in another armed guard right on top of him.

Can you do that? I thought a freshly-spawned guard had to visit the armory to get tooled up.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

Can you do that? I thought a freshly-spawned guard had to visit the armory to get tooled up.

Newly hired armed guards are still fully armed. You just can't hire more than you have lockers for.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Are snipers just really lazy?

I have more than twice as many snipers as I have towers but there always seems to be at least two towers unmanned at any given time and always a bunch of snipers just hanging out at the armory. I suppose the simplest solution is just to hire even more.

thedaian
Dec 11, 2005

Blistering idiots.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e2e1zciptdI

You can opt into the 2.0 preview. No new systems or major features, just a lot of quality of life improvements, like zoom to mouse, undo, and highlighting rooms when you hover over them in the build menus. Also filtering of the build menus and a few other UI improvements.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
Of all these new improvements I think the one I'll appreciate the most is the "work / free time" "work / lockup" distinction

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Of all these new improvements I think the one I'll appreciate the most is the "work / free time" "work / lockup" distinction

could you sum this up for me please because i'm not trawling through 47 minutes of bullshit to see what's up here

i'm going to guess that you can now order people who are not working back to their cells as opposed to being forced to let them have free time?

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
Yep that's right.

Also they've added a bunch of new random events, but not letting anyone know what they are...

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

that's a really good change

i never really had problems with idle hands causing trouble during work time, but free time functionally helps nothing in your regime so it'll be nice to send the idlers back to their cells to get more punishment stats. Also gives me something resembling a reason to not immediately cordon off gangs to their own prison wing and forget about them, so that's good.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I don't know that its super important on a gameplay level. But it was kind of the last building block missing to make a total resort style prison where all needs are met in cell. A common complaint with resort cells is free time is a total crock cause every meed needing item is already in a cell but they wanted prison workers which needed free time.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

the biggest thing this will help with is gangs. work regime blocks were basically the absolute worst with them active because they forced you to let gang members roam around free, which allowed them to get into trouble and make everyone else's lives miserable while they're trying to work and make you money. being able to send them back to the cells during this time will mean that they only come out during meal and yard time, which you should have locked down pretty well regardless.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

http://www.introversion.co.uk/prisonarchitect/changelog/update-8preview.txt

Changelog.
Also includes list of new random events.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

quote:

- TVs now broadcast over an area (3x3, shown as a green box).
Prisoners sitting within the viewing area can watch TV and thereby have their recreation needs taken care of.
Nb. Prisoners can be doing other things at the same time, eg eating in the canteen.

- New item: Large TV.
Has a larger viewing area and can easily provide Recreation to an entire room.
Be sure to provide lots of seating spaces.

Finally. No more rows of TVs that only one person can use at a time.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

Inmates only visit the commissary or chapel during free time right?

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Chapel no, there is a spiritual reform program that they hold in the chapel with an imam/priest/rabbi and counts as a reform program. It satisfies spiritual need and does a lot to reform inmates as they are practically guaranteed to pass and is infinitely repeatable.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Coolguye posted:

Chapel no, there is a spiritual reform program that they hold in the chapel with an imam/priest/rabbi and counts as a reform program. It satisfies spiritual need and does a lot to reform inmates as they are practically guaranteed to pass and is infinitely repeatable.

They will use the chapel during free time as well to satisfy spiritual need (you can also put prayer rugs in their cells and they'll use them there, too). I don't think it gives them the "calm" effect that the the reform program does, though.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Yeah the question was can inmates visit these places only during free time, and the answer is no in the case of the chapel. The shop I'm not clear on. I've seen inmates nip away from kitchen duty to buy something I think, but that was so long ago I don't feel comfortable stating it as fact anymore.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME
Lots of little quality of life improvements this time around, although I'm a little sad that 2.0 seems to be the "final" release from the way they're talking about it. It's understandable, but I thought they were planning to have a skeleton crew tinker around with P-A while Chris went off to make his barcode spelunking adventure. And I guess I was hoping more of the UI improvements from the Xbox version would creep into the PC version.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

FronzelNeekburm posted:

Lots of little quality of life improvements this time around, although I'm a little sad that 2.0 seems to be the "final" release from the way they're talking about it. It's understandable, but I thought they were planning to have a skeleton crew tinker around with P-A while Chris went off to make his barcode spelunking adventure. And I guess I was hoping more of the UI improvements from the Xbox version would creep into the PC version.

Yeah I was hoping they'd backport at least some of the visual design of the console UI to the PC version. The PC UI still feels very "programmer art" to me.

Hezzy
Dec 4, 2004

Pillbug
I was hoping for some sort of "incident report" thing that I could read at night, detailing all the fights / searches / releases / punishments in the past day or so.

Oh well.

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011

why the gently caress do people keep doing this

do they not grasp the sheer number of ways to single out and torture a specific prisoner in this game

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
I believe you can report content to the Devs and they'll remove anything offensive or inappropriate.

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011
I don't know whether someone's ponysona counts as sufficiently inappropriate, though. I'm more just inclined to do something along the lines of one Youtube let's player I've heard about: Stick him in a supermax dormitory with a murderous lunatic and wait.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
Oh sorry I misunderstood, I thought the bio there was a prison rape joke... now I see it's just MLP poo poo

It's always bothered me slightly (:spergin:) that the bios sometimes list crimes but the actual criminal past is just randomly generated. It's a shame that when they did the name-in-the-game thing, they didn't let people pick the crime history too.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Considering the player-written bios are universally poo poo, I wish they just stuck with names and didn't allow bios. There's enough egregiously bad names as it is.

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011
Yeah, there's not enough character room for much good in the bio. Here's the :effort: bio I put on my prisoner:

quote:

Wrote some very bad poetry. Like, seriously, this stuff was horrible. It was so bad that when the chief of police got hold of it they arrested this guy for a bunch of fake charges. They even got a fake victim to testify after she read the poetry.

of bees
Dec 28, 2009
Has anyone encountered a bug where using the mouse to move the screen (by holding it all the way to one side, for it to scroll) won't work for going down? It works in all other directions, and WASD works for scrolling the screen too, but using the mouse to go down seems to have stopped working.

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011

Yep that's right.

Also they've added a bunch of new random events, but not letting anyone know what they are...

That new list of bugfixes is interesting.

quote:

- 0011124: [Gameplay] The new suprise minsec legendary gangleader event didn't actually make the prisoner a gang leader (Icepick) - resolved.

:stare:

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I should probably play this again if the random events are actually fun. Are they fun?

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

Light Along the Inverse Curve.
The final video for Prison Architect.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UXrmp9F0uMY

Seems like Scanner Sombre is the next game. Not sure sure what kind of game they can make out of that concept.

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

KIIIRRRYYYUUUUU CHAAAANNNNNN
Speaking of submitted profiles, this guy stood out.

"scar face was a a student in a tech class when he last a game of xbox and kill every one in the school he is now now as stab magge because he stab every one in the school to death"

Having to do with actual gameplay, have they finally made bookshelves more than only decorative?

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Lareine posted:

Speaking of submitted profiles, this guy stood out.

"scar face was a a student in a tech class when he last a game of xbox and kill every one in the school he is now now as stab magge because he stab every one in the school to death"

Having to do with actual gameplay, have they finally made bookshelves more than only decorative?

I believe having one in a cell will increase the cell quality rating. I don't know if the prisoners actually DO anything with the bookshelves. There is a library room and prisoners can borrow books as a way of entertaining themselves but I don't know if the old bookshelf object gets used for that at all.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

no, books checked out from the prison library are held in personal inventory, same as contraband only it's, you know, not actually problematic

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011
Jesus christ gang leaders work fast. I left one in genpop to see what would happen and he went from being alone to having seven gang members in the course of a day. A week later and my prison is a continual bloodbath.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
A couple of prisoners ganged up on a Snitch. Unfortunately for them he was Tough and also armed with a power drill :stare:

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
Snitches get stitches (on other people)

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

I had a legendary extremely tough, extremely deadly, extremely volatile ex law enforcement who I was quite happy to stick in the most luxurious self contained cell in protective custody for his entire sentence. Then there was riot random event, and about 20 prisoners decided to charge protective custody to murder the snitches which didn't work out well for them. In the end I think he killed about a dozen folk before he finally went down to tazers.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
I've found a great new way to enjoy this game.

No grants, no loans, and no trees on the map at start - just $30,000 to build a prison and a continuous fixed intake.

It feels completely different when money is so tight. I've become acutely aware of how expensive everything is, how little indoor space I can build, and how good dorms are. And my prison is a complete mess because I don't have money to make it pretty (and I didn't put much effort into planning)

I'm on day 12 of a run with an intake if 2 MedSec a day, and I think I'm doing well. Overcrowded yes, but no incidents yet, and I've managed to unlock parole (an essential source of income) and get a bare-bones workshop online with forestry to provide lumber. Unlocking stuff in bureaucracy is horribly expensive though, so I have to be sure it'll pay off - I can't just unlock poo poo willy-nilly like I used to.

It probably won't be long before I reach a 'steady state' situation with prisoners being released at the intake rate, so this feels like easy mode (though for the first few days it was very much panic stations). For my next run I'm going to see if I can cope with an intake of 4 a day

edit for pic:

Microplastics fucked around with this message at 12:41 on Sep 27, 2016

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011
Ran into what looks like a weird little glitch with how shops behave. From what I can tell, the shop workers are unable to operate shop fronts if they're not allowed to access the "customer" side of the front.

This became an issue when I tried to set up a shop that's set as a Protective Custody-only area, with the shop fronts facing a common room that my Protective Custody crew are blocked from accessing. The shop workers work diligently to stock every shelf to the brim, then just wander around aimlessly in the shop while my construction workers obsessively carry the extra boxes of merchandise to and from my storage room. If I allow my PC crew to access the common room -- such as by adding an unlocked door to the shop -- then the shop operates correctly, except that my PC prisoners are now wandering around taking jobs all over the prison and getting their asses shanked. Locking the door shut causes the shop to resume the previous behavior: First the PC crew restocks all the shelves, then my construction workers start ferrying merchandise back and forth while nobody makes an effort to man the shopfronts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

If all else fails, station a few guards in any area the PCs might be in when operating the shop. Chances are, either the guards will prevent PCs from getting shanked or they'll prevent future shankings. Maybe add a metal detector and whatnots to get the shanks/weapons beforehand.

• Locked thread