Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Golden Man
Aug 4, 2007

Storbny :stonk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Wait until you meet his little brother, Småbny.

Florida Betty
Sep 24, 2004

I just had a doctor's appointment. Sitting next to me in the waiting room was a woman with a cute little baby. Baby's name? Messiah. Poor kid, I don't know if he can live up to his parents' expectations.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

Florida Betty posted:

I just had a doctor's appointment. Sitting next to me in the waiting room was a woman with a cute little baby. Baby's name? Messiah. Poor kid, I don't know if he can live up to his parents' expectations.

Was he a very naughty boy?

Florida Betty
Sep 24, 2004

Bobby Digital posted:

Was he a very naughty boy?

He was gumming the chair in a doctor's office full of sick people, so I guess so.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)
Maybe he's just messiah than the other kids

Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009
On the nametag of a waitress in some little cafe in east jesus, Tennesee: Brailey.

princecoo
Sep 3, 2009
Stayed a few days with my uncle and got to chatting with his kids. They go to school with 2 kids, Older brother, younger sister and there is apparently a baby at home.

Older Brother: Rocky.
Younger sister: Pebbles.
Baby: Stoney.

I called bullshit but they could show me a school newsletter with the older brothers name, and my Uncle and Aunt both confirmed. Goddamn.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

That's a gneiss family

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Ankhtsetseg Munkhjantsan.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m3bdniT2NwY&hd=1

Axiem
Oct 19, 2005

I want to leave my mind blank, but I'm terrified of what will happen if I do
Heard a woman out in public today calling her son Ocean. The daughter was Abigail, so who knows? I was too busy to ask after it, though.

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?

Axiem posted:

Heard a woman out in public today calling her son Ocean. The daughter was Abigail, so who knows? I was too busy to ask after it, though.

Mispronunciation of Oisin ?

CatStacking
Jan 9, 2010

~A Purely Preposterous Pussy~

Axiem posted:

If that's the case, hopefully he can get away with calling himself Sean/Shawn?

Portable Staplefrog
May 21, 2007

I'm on a bus right now. The driver's name is Rotunda. :)

Feb 2, 2016

by R. Guyovich
My kids best friend has the middle name of "Stormtrooper"

I asked, and thankfully its Starwars not German.

Male Tiers
Dec 27, 2012

Why don't you just lay down your weapons now?
White, American kid in an NPR article named Strazh?

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

I read a paper yesterday where one of the acknowledgments was for Dr. Uwe Neue. That's not a particularly unusual German name, and rationally I even know the intended pronunciation (Oovay Noia, broadly), but in my head I just kept saying it as "Dr. Ooh Nuu."

TheKennedys
Sep 23, 2006

By my hand, I will take you from this godforsaken internet
The guitarist for Machine Head just had a baby (well, his wife did): Wolf Aequitas Demmel.

I guess it's a metal band so it's not entirely unexpected but still.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Antivehicular posted:

I read a paper yesterday where one of the acknowledgments was for Dr. Uwe Neue. That's not a particularly unusual German name, and rationally I even know the intended pronunciation (Oovay Noia, broadly), but in my head I just kept saying it as "Dr. Ooh Nuu."

I've often wondered about the anglophones' penchant for pronouncing a final -e as -ei. I mean you don't pronounce the as they now do you :confused:

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

Jerry Cotton posted:

I've often wondered about the anglophones' penchant for pronouncing a final -e as -ei. I mean you don't pronounce the as they now do you :confused:

As if it has an accent ague? I think some people are trying to sound Latin-y

trying

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Apryl.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Jerry Cotton posted:

"The" gets a schwa ending, or is pronounced like "thee" if the next word starts with a vowel. English doesn't really allow a terminal E to be fully pronounced.

Yoshi Jjang
Oct 5, 2011

renard renard renarnd renrard

renard

Woolie Wool posted:

"The" gets a schwa ending, or is pronounced like "thee" if the next word starts with a vowel. English doesn't really allow a terminal E to be fully pronounced.

Eh...

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion

Woolie Wool posted:

Yes we do. See? He, me and she are next to a twee tree.

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?
Little boy called Trout. His dad is into fishing.

Mr. Belpit
Nov 11, 2008

Khazar-khum posted:

He means more like a short e. Like the starting vowel sound in "end" or the middle vowel sound in "get". English isn't friendly with the idea of ending a word on that sound.

e: I've never had trouble pronouncing it, I think because I'm a heritage speaker of Spanish, but I've seen a lot of monolingual English speakers struggle with it and pronounce, for example, Spanish "José" as "ho-SAY" instead of "ho-SEH".

Mr. Belpit has a new favorite as of 08:48 on Jul 28, 2016

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Mr. Belpit posted:

e: I've never had trouble pronouncing it, I think because I'm a heritage speaker of Spanish, but I've seen a lot of monolingual English speakers struggle with it and pronounce, for example, Spanish "José" as "ho-SAY" instead of "ho-SEH".

:aaaaa:

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Khazar-khum posted:

That's a different vowel.

Male Tiers
Dec 27, 2012

Why don't you just lay down your weapons now?
There were 11 baby girls named Symphany in 2015.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Woolie Wool posted:

"The" gets a schwa ending
...which is the correct ending sound for both Uwe and Neue.

José's got nothing to do with it either as it has got the acute accent.

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

Tulalip Tulips posted:

We got a Trail, Cruise, and Canyon today at work.

I encountered a similar one today

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Mason Jet Lee (don't google this).

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
From a school I taught at:

A girl named DORITO. Like the chip. Over the PA one day "Dorito soandso please come to the office" and I was like whoa sounded like they said Dorito and the other teachers were like yeah her name is Dorito.

About 8-10 years ago working in a Kindergarten class, there were two girls (TWO IN THE SAME CLASS) named Topanga

When my second kid was born looking at the other doors in the baby wing there was a Katniss and a Khilesi

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

subpar anachronism posted:

I don't even want to know why posting a video of your baby/small child(?) going to Walmart for the first time is a thing. Is it a thing?

Crocoswine
Aug 20, 2010

subpar anachronism posted:

we got peak white trash up in here

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
Heard at the science museum the other day: sisters named Finley and Gracen.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

everdave posted:

About 8-10 years ago working in a Kindergarten class, there were two girls (TWO IN THE SAME CLASS) named Topanga

So did Boy Meets World invent that name or what

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Phlegmish posted:

So did Boy Meets World invent that name or what

It's a place name in Los Angeles. That show is probably responsible for its use as a first name.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

everdave posted:

From a school I taught at:

A girl named DORITO. Like the chip. Over the PA one day "Dorito soandso please come to the office" and I was like whoa sounded like they said Dorito and the other teachers were like yeah her name is Dorito.

I think earlier in the thread I mentioned the kid Cheeto. I hope they can meet and be friends

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Axiem
Oct 19, 2005

I want to leave my mind blank, but I'm terrified of what will happen if I do

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

It's a place name in Los Angeles. That show is probably responsible for its use as a first name.

My recollection is that when Topanga was first introduced on the show, she was a total weirdo from a hippie family or something. It was more of a joke character they set up than any planned future.

Then she turned into a run-of-the-mill girl love interest. TV :shrug:

...not that I'm 100% sure, since I last watched Boy Meets World when I was like, 10.