Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice
People are still throwing money into the game on account of it being Star Wars so why not scrape by with the minimum possible effort and probably the cheapest bargain barrel dev team they can get away with?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wintermutant
Oct 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
Speaking of their excellent QA, did they break QGJ's 3rd skill? Several times today I've used it, dispelled a buff from the enemy, and not gotten the team buff from it.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

Wintermutant posted:

Speaking of their excellent QA, did they break QGJ's 3rd skill? Several times today I've used it, dispelled a buff from the enemy, and not gotten the team buff from it.

Evasion Up and Offense Up both do this sometimes. I suspect that it's something like the debuff effect lands but they "evade" the trigger that gives you Offense Up. I don't have any real scientific data on this or anything but it always seems to happen with Dooku/Ben/Lumi buffs.

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

Wintermutant posted:

This happens all the god drat time. It only seems to work reliably against taunt, advantage, and retribution. Given how long it took/is taking them to address other ability bugs, expect this to be fixed sometime between half a year from now and the heat death of the universe.

ModeSix
Mar 14, 2009

Spakstik posted:

This happens all the god drat time. It only seems to work reliably against taunt, advantage, and retribution. Given how long it took/is taking them to address other ability bugs, expect this to be fixed sometime between half a year from now and the heat death of the universe.

OH. So around the same time as Half-Life ep3?

Malgrin
Mar 16, 2010
We have an open space in IGD. Any takers?

e: Someone started a T7 raid for me. I actually had to do work...at work. The horror. So...get in here.

Malgrin fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Jul 29, 2016

Stunt Rock
Jul 28, 2002

DEATH WISH AT 120 DECIBELS
Maybe I'm playing it wrong but this game doesn't seem to have the most generous F2P options. It's also possible I'm spoiled from Future Fight, but it seems like farming up characters takes forever and I really hit a wall in the late 30s.

Plus none of the random deals that have popped up have really tempted me, and I'm hesitant to put money into a game when I haven't decided completely if it's a garbage toilet game or a good toilet game.

Malgrin
Mar 16, 2010

Stunt Rock posted:

Maybe I'm playing it wrong but this game doesn't seem to have the most generous F2P options. It's also possible I'm spoiled from Future Fight, but it seems like farming up characters takes forever and I really hit a wall in the late 30s.

Plus none of the random deals that have popped up have really tempted me, and I'm hesitant to put money into a game when I haven't decided completely if it's a garbage toilet game or a good toilet game.

It's a garbage toilet game. Run far, far away, and never spend money on it. That said, we're all sick and twisted here and enjoy it for some dumb reason. I think like 99% of us are playing because Star Wars.

If you play aggressively early (see my OP guide), you can climb the ladder really quickly and start earning 300+ crystals per day within your first week without spending money. If you're still in your 30s, I might even suggest you restart, just make sure you create your hero after midnight UTC, I think that's when they start populating a new arena shard. F2P heroes are among the best in the game, although there are now a couple $$ heroes that are really good.

Add lots of high level goons to your ally list. It will make clearing through about level 6 missions easy (although you'll have a hard time getting 3*s).

e: Also, paying money is really not worth it unless you want to whale hard. I've played both, and I felt like I got a lot of mileage out of $30 in Future Fight. Over here, $30 buys you a punch in the nuts. For $40, they'll only punch you in the face. At $100, it turns into a light pat. After you spend $500+, they start actually giving you things.

Fenris13
Jun 6, 2003
Please don't spend any money on this game right now, the developers have not earned it. This game caters to mega whales who spend several hundred a month on it. F2p people are ment to be months behind. If you are not ok with a super slow progression over the course of a long period of time then this game is likely not for you.

Malgrin
Mar 16, 2010
Somehow there's a podcast for SWGOH. This episode has EA_Jesse talking about Tanks and things on it. Listening now cause I'm actually that bored right now.

http://radiofreetatooine.com/2016/07/29/galactic-war-report-episode-16-talkin-tanks-with-ea_jesse/

Davethulhu
Aug 12, 2003

Morbid Hound

Stunt Rock posted:

My best advice to you as a f2p player is to work as hard as possible getting a strong arena team, and then push as much as possible getting a high rank, even to the point of spending crystals on refreshes.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

Fenris13 posted:

Please don't spend any money on this game right now, the developers have not earned it. This game caters to mega whales who spend several hundred a month on it.

Seconding this. I actually spend way more money than someone should on mobile games and I still will not buy anything in this game. Beyond the fact that the value of the purchases for this game are laughably bad compared to just about any other phone game, there's the issue where the development team likes to make big sweeping changes at the drop of a hat with no notification. What you spend your money on may be worth far less minutes after you purchase it.

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

Stunt Rock posted:

Thirding the strong discouragement on spending money on this game. I wouldn't spend money on it regardless because I'm a cheap bastard, but I can't recall the last time I saw a dev team that tried so hard not to earn your dollar. The patch notes for this game must be read with the Curb Your Enthusiasm theme on loop in the background, because every new change introduces five new fuckups and occasionally reintroduces an old fuckup that they'd fixed in a previous patch. The only reason people still play this--and this includes me, dumb idiot that I am--is because it's Star Wars.

Malgrin
Mar 16, 2010
LOL

EA_Jesse posted:

Personally I'm pretty happy with where they're [mods] at. They're definitely customizable but for me, I don't feel like I can't beat a modded team with an unmodded team. You know, if you do it right.

Uh. Have you ever played against a modded OB, STH, RG, Rey, QGJ/GS/Whatever team comp? Holy poo poo, modded right, I can't beat that at least half the time, and my team is fully modded, 5* level 15. Alterrnatively, OB, STH, B2 or Sun Fac, Rey, QGJ/whatever.

EA_Jesse posted:

We would love to put in some Rebels characters, and it's probably going to happen at some point. The timeline right now is uncertain, I can't say exactly. There will probably be some rebels characters in the future.

Malgrin fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Jul 29, 2016

iGestalt
Mar 4, 2013

Malgrin posted:

LOL

Uh. Have you ever played against a modded OB, STH, RG, Rey, QGJ/GS/Whatever team comp? Holy poo poo, modded right, I can't beat that at least half the time, and my team is fully modded, 5* level 15. Alterrnatively, OB, STH, B2 or Sun Fac, Rey, QGJ/whatever.

I don't think he actually plays this game.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

Malgrin posted:

:laffo: You can't even win all the time against an equally matched team if you do everything right. The game's RNG can just take a dump all over you and there's nothing you can do about it.

Malgrin
Mar 16, 2010

Jibo posted:

:laffo: You can't even win all the time against an equally matched team if you do everything right. The game's RNG can just take a dump all over you and there's nothing you can do about it.

iGestalt posted:

I don't think he actually plays this game.

He plays the game, but I'm convinced he just gets everything for free without effort.

Yeah, it's really scary when Ben is super fast, lands his ability block, and then Han taunts immediately after.

Jesse just hinted that there's another character coming out soon from Clone Wars.

Was directly asked about 88/Scoundrel. His response was non-specific, but he did say they revisit characters. He also said they are working on this with a few characters.

G Guard should be Scoundrel. "He might be changing soon."

Ships? "Oh man, you're diving into territory where they'll kill me if I say anything."

Wedge: Daily login character for August. After that he will be farmable.

For now, arena shards will not be mixed up.

New Raid will have next tier of raid. It will not have ability mods ("That's just crazy talk") -- e.g. +counter, extra attacks, etc.

You heard it here first: "We're looking at some of the older characters too, they're not going to be left behind, so your Nightsister team might be the best team someday, or something like that."

Currently looking at Boba Fett. Also maybe looking at Asajj.

Just a hint "You guys might want to work on your rebels for an upcoming thing"

Malgrin fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Jul 29, 2016

iGestalt
Mar 4, 2013

Malgrin posted:

Jesse just hinted that there's another character coming out soon from Clone Wars.

I hope it's Jar Jar. And he's broken as hell.

hngkong
Nov 19, 2003

I know I poo poo all over this game in IGD's chat, but seriously, these developers are completely useless human beings in every single way.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice
I'm sure the next Clone Wars character will be yet another clone trooper but I can dream of Hondo.

E: Or that 4 armed Sith guy, whatever his name was. We need more Sith.

iGestalt
Mar 4, 2013

Jibo posted:

E: Or that 4 armed Sith guy, whatever his name was. We need more Sith.

Grevious? he's already in the game as ~the worst grind~

Stunt Rock
Jul 28, 2002

DEATH WISH AT 120 DECIBELS

Spakstik posted:

Thirding the strong discouragement on spending money on this game. I wouldn't spend money on it regardless because I'm a cheap bastard, but I can't recall the last time I saw a dev team that tried so hard not to earn your dollar. The patch notes for this game must be read with the Curb Your Enthusiasm theme on loop in the background, because every new change introduces five new fuckups and occasionally reintroduces an old fuckup that they'd fixed in a previous patch. The only reason people still play this--and this includes me, dumb idiot that I am--is because it's Star Wars.

Yeah, that was the kind of vibe I was getting. For the most part, NetMarble has done well with Future Fight. They give away tons of poo poo and the money you do spend can go a long ways towards helping out. Plus each of the last few patches has had some major QOL improvements. I don't mind throwing a few bucks at it here and there because they seem to give a poo poo and most of the new stuff they add is really cool and good.

Thanks to everyone for confirming my suspicions. I'll still probably play it here or there but I don't think I'll throw any cash at it unless the devs start doing things to earn it.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

iGestalt posted:

Nah, this dude (spoiler alert he's totally a Sith dude):

Malgrin
Mar 16, 2010
FYI, Work on your rebels. There will be an upcoming thing. I also continued posting these bits and pieces above so that I didn't make a million posts.

Also, that podcast was maybe worse than their devs. I haven't decided yet.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram

iGestalt posted:

I hope it's Jar Jar. And he's broken as hell.

I hope Jar Jar is in with anemic damage and useless specials (randomly give a buff or debuff to a character on either team) but like 1 out of 100 times he just one-shots the whole other team and wins the match. :downsgun:

Like others, I think I play this because Star Wars, but it's easier for me to get into a phone game about SW than some random whatever. But I've been satisfied with some little crystal purchases here and there. I agree, they don't have a lot of value. My view is that a f2p phone game should be manageable free, and kick rear end with a $30-$40 investment. Super-whales in this game who put down a car payment's worth every month seem a bit excessive.

That said, when I visit my dad in the hospital, and he's in and out of consciousness, this game can hold my attention for a couple of hours, but I can easily jump up if I need to.

Also, I'm continuing to watch Clone Wars while playing E:D on the other monitor and the episodes about the rear end in a top hat Jedi general who gives horrible orders brought back memories from deployment. They did a good job with those episodes.

Malgrin
Mar 16, 2010

MoraleHazard posted:

I hope Jar Jar is in with anemic damage and useless specials (randomly give a buff or debuff to a character on either team) but like 1 out of 100 times he just one-shots the whole other team and wins the match. :downsgun:

Like others, I think I play this because Star Wars, but it's easier for me to get into a phone game about SW than some random whatever. But I've been satisfied with some little crystal purchases here and there. I agree, they don't have a lot of value. My view is that a f2p phone game should be manageable free, and kick rear end with a $30-$40 investment. Super-whales in this game who put down a car payment's worth every month seem a bit excessive.

That said, when I visit my dad in the hospital, and he's in and out of consciousness, this game can hold my attention for a couple of hours, but I can easily jump up if I need to.

Also, I'm continuing to watch Clone Wars while playing E:D on the other monitor and the episodes about the rear end in a top hat Jedi general who gives horrible orders brought back memories from deployment. They did a good job with those episodes.

Oh man, if they release Jar-Jar (unless they release Darth Jar-Jar), he will seriously tank their game (more so than they otherwise already have).

Yeah, I play it cause star wars, and I can play it at work, cause my job is so easy and boring.

Clone wars was surprisingly dark at times.

e: Holy poo poo. They have a bugs post now (Who wants to bet this never gets updated ever again?):

https://forums.galaxy-of-heroes.starwars.ea.com/discussion/58960/the-bugs-bin

quote:

BUGS CURRENTLY BEING INVESTIGATED
Rancor loses negative buffs when door panel goes up
Admiral Ackbar's leader ability "Rebel Coordination" doesn't always work
Luminara cannot apply the "Continuous Healing" buff on allies with "Immunity to Healing" but the effects can be applied in reverse order
Yoda copying buffs
Stuck in the Mod tutorial
Game unable to load. Stuck at "Checking for Updates" (We have already seen some players who posted saying that switching to Mobile Data from Wi-Fi works)
Daily Guild Bank Coins Produced under Manage shows a different value than the Daily Guild Bank Coins from Guild Activities)

Malgrin fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Jul 29, 2016

Dr. Venture
Sep 26, 2011

Malgrin posted:

Also, that podcast was maybe worse than their devs. I haven't decided yet.

I assume they didn't tear Jesse apart for that stupid comment about mods and agreed with him instead?

Malgrin
Mar 16, 2010

Dr. Venture posted:

I assume they didn't tear Jesse apart for that stupid comment about mods and agreed with him instead?

Yup.

Wintermutant
Oct 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum

iGestalt posted:

You know, I think that's the one character in this game that I haven't encountered once in arena or GW. Is he any good at all?

Spoz
May 25, 2006

Wintermutant posted:

You know, I think that's the one character in this game that I haven't encountered once in arena or GW. Is he any good at all?

There are two people in my arena shard that run him. I'm down in the <100 and he's 7* and modded in an HK-47 team. The AI is absolutely garbage with him and his damage and survivability seem kinda anemic.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Wintermutant posted:

Spoz posted:

There are two people in my arena shard that run him. I'm down in the <100 and he's 7* and modded in an HK-47 team. The AI is absolutely garbage with him and his damage and survivability seem kinda anemic.

I modded his health and protection way up, he's 5*g9 with omega basic and is a pretty decent character at this point. I like him because that omega basic does a lot of damage (especially modded), and it can't be evaded or countered, so Dooku/Fives are weak against him and anyone with Foresight is gonna get hit.

You're right that the AI is useless with him though.

ModeSix
Mar 14, 2009

Just as a note of interest.

This is my arena team, approx. 18.5k power and it's destroying teams of 25k power.

If someone could give me some tips to improve the team based on my roster it would be great. I know I need to get higher *'s and level them up more. They're all running level 1 mods, because jesus grinding those mod battles isn't easy with a low level low gear team.

https://swgoh.gg/u/modesix/

Dr. Venture
Sep 26, 2011
Replace Sidious with QGJ.

Coast to victory.

Malgrin
Mar 16, 2010

ModeSix posted:

If someone could give me some tips to improve the team based on my roster it would be great. I know I need to get higher *'s and level them up more. They're all running level 1 mods, because jesus grinding those mod battles isn't easy with a low level low gear team.

https://swgoh.gg/u/modesix/

I would either run:

Phasma (L), RG, STH, Rey, QGJ

or

STH (L), RG, Rey, QGJ, GS.

I like the second a little bit more for where you are at, GS just brings so much damage. STH plus RG is a brutal combination. I used to be running Daka there, and finally got STH to G10 and started running him instead. I used to drop to the 30s overnight (usually from top 10). The lowest I've been in the last 48ish hours (when I swapped in STH) is rank 17.

Malgrin
Mar 16, 2010
Hey guys, you know all those credits you spent on Scoundrels? Well, don't worry, that was totally and completely worth it....

In other news, 88, STH, and G Guard will be Scoundrels, starting next week. Have fun!

iGestalt
Mar 4, 2013

Malgrin posted:

In other news, 88, STH, and G Guard will be Scoundrels, starting next week. Have fun!

Oh.

Okay then.

:psyboom:

two_step
Sep 2, 2011

Malgrin posted:

Hey guys, you know all those credits you spent on Scoundrels? Well, don't worry, that was totally and completely worth it....

They said something about Disney having to approve any changes to tags, which sounds like the sort of thing Disney would actually do, so it isn't entirely CG/EA's fault this time.

Malgrin
Mar 16, 2010

iGestalt posted:

Oh.

Okay then.

:psyboom:

I mean, if we're being honest, you DO need 5 scoundrels to finish T3 Challenges (crit chance mods), and I think they have to be at least 5*. Probably want geared/leveled/starred STH, 88, and one more. Lando is good anyways, as I've pointed out, so, I feel like you won't have lost too much in this pursuit anyways, but it's still annoying.

iGestalt
Mar 4, 2013

Malgrin posted:

I mean, if we're being honest, you DO need 5 scoundrels to finish T3 Challenges (crit chance mods), and I think they have to be at least 5*. Probably want geared/leveled/starred STH, 88, and one more. Lando is good anyways, as I've pointed out, so, I feel like you won't have lost too much in this pursuit anyways, but it's still annoying.

Yeah, it's better in the long run, but still annoying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malgrin
Mar 16, 2010

iGestalt posted:

Yeah, it's better in the long run, but still annoying.

Yeah, I would've spent those credits on Jawas and Resistance squad first. Also just realized I'm going to have to start farming Finn if I want those T5 speed mods. That's not going to happen anytime soon...