Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Spacebump posted:

I'd assume BYU is really popular in areas beyond Utah while UCF or Cincy struggle to be the most popular in their own cities. Thoguh makes a good point that it's about subscribers and not viewers. If the future conference network could be ordered separately or in a sports pass, BYU could still maybe cause more subscribers. (but this is a big stretch so probably not.)

Yea, I'm really just basing it on the the BTN model where you get yourself into a state and then you get to jack the rates up for the hypothetical Big 12 conference TV network. BYU is a more popular program nationwide compared to Cinci or UCF, but that won't translate to money the same way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Thoguh posted:

Sure, but presumably expansion would be about getting a conference network started. And that's all about subscribers, not viewers.

I'm not sure that works unless Texas is okay junking LHN

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
It seems pretty likely that the bundle isn't going to be a thing anymore by the time the Big 12 gets a network off the ground, thus adding a poor man's Rutgers and poor man's Maryland would probably be short-sighted.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Everything about this is shortsighted. This is all being organized by old white dudes who are basing their decisions on a media distribution platform that is likely to radically change within a timeframe as small as 5 years. Both cable and satellite are hemorrhaging subscribers. The Big 12 should just stand pat until the GoR expires and then can adapt to the new media environment--whatever it may be--or, hopefully, blow up.

KIM JONG TRILL
Nov 29, 2006

GIN AND JUCHE

Thoguh posted:

Sure, but presumably expansion would be about getting a conference network started. And that's all about subscribers, not viewers.

Haven't you heard? Conference expansion is all about raping your tv partners with pro-rata increases per team added and fleecing your new conference mates for all but a pittance that the networks are paying for their games now

Numlock
May 19, 2007

The simplest seppo on the forums
I wonder how much it will cost ESPN to drop the LHN, last article I read on it the LHN only hit the break even part last year and I can't see it expanding beyond that point with the accelerating abandonment of cable for streaming services. At some point its going to cost ESPN less to take whatever fine they suffer from dumping it than to keep it around, as surly a Big 12 network (that includes UT) makes them more money.

KIM JONG TRILL
Nov 29, 2006

GIN AND JUCHE
Word is Big 12 wants to name teams before the season starts.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

KIM JONG TRILL posted:

Word is Big 12 wants to name teams before the season starts.

well Tulane is screwed, they needed one more season so their new hire could show he owns.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Spacebump posted:

well Tulane is screwed, they needed one more season so their new hire could show he owns.

Tulane's invite was never contingent on the quality of their program. They're being considered entirely because of their academic reputation and their location. A good team won't help or hurt them in any way.

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO

Numlock posted:

I wonder how much it will cost ESPN to drop the LHN, last article I read on it the LHN only hit the break even part last year and I can't see it expanding beyond that point with the accelerating abandonment of cable for streaming services. At some point its going to cost ESPN less to take whatever fine they suffer from dumping it than to keep it around, as surly a Big 12 network (that includes UT) makes them more money.

I am astounded to hear that it is breaking even.

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

If anybody wants to see, there's a Donkey Kong kill screen coming up.
Pillbug

Thoguh posted:

Texas fleeced ESPN and got their own network. I doubt they give that up to give the poors more money.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

kayakyakr posted:

Tulane's invite was never contingent on the quality of their program. They're being considered entirely because of their academic reputation and their location. A good team won't help or hurt them in any way.

You can drink on the street there. ON THE STREET. We're gonna add a bunch of Mormons over that?

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
My favorite Mormon thing is how in Utah they CAN serve you beer at restaurants but they have to pour it behind a screen where you can't see it go into the glass

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true
You heard it here first - UConn to the Big XII:

https://vine.co/v/5AaheKeurOV

an adult beverage
Aug 13, 2005

1,2,3,4,5 dem gators don't take no jive. go gator -US Rep. Corrine Brown (D) FL

JesustheDarkLord posted:

Anecdotally, Memphis has a pretty good fan base in the greater Memphis area. I spent three years there for law school and was a minority within the city as a Tennessee fan. I was not a minority in any other sense and in Memphis that is pretty significant.

I just moved to Memphis last year and I want Big 12 to come here for selfish reasons so I can enjoy better football than I currently get. However, I feel Memphis is a basketball town first and foremost, unfortunately. Last season was their best ever in football and they only sold out one game (Ole Miss).

I do think Memphis could be a solid football town and I had a great time at the games I went to. The gameday scene at Memphis is a lot of fun and pretty underrated. The tailgating is almost SEC-esque and I think visiting fans would have a good time here (probably more fun than going to Provo or Cincinnati in November).

1. Go to Central BBQ for lunch, 2. Tailgate, 3. Go to the game (they sell beer at Memphis home games which is a plus), 4. hit Beale Street after the game.

MourningView posted:

Tears well up in the eyes of the Rutgers president as he proudly unveils a New York Television Market statue outside the stadium

rofl

Next on the Big Ten Network: Big Ten Legends, The New York City Media Market

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

PostNouveau posted:

You can drink on the street there. ON THE STREET. We're gonna add a bunch of Mormons over that?

Not only that but the food is amazing as well. Arguably better than every other location in the conference. (unless you are really into Tex-Mex or BBQ)

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Spacebump posted:

Not only that but the food is amazing as well. Arguably better than every other location in the conference. (unless you are really into Tex-Mex or BBQ)

I mean, Cajun food is pretty drat good, but is it as good as Tex-Mex and BBQ combined?

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

kayakyakr posted:

I mean, Cajun food is pretty drat good, but is it as good as Tex-Mex and BBQ combined?

I'm a native Texan. I've lived in both Austin and New Orleans. Tex-Mex is my favorite food but I still think the New Orleans food scene owns it. In the end it's all personal preference.

I would say there is a strong argument that cajun food + to go cups for drinks is > Tex-Mex and BBQ combined. Another reason New Orleans would be a great away game destination is Harrah's.

Spacebump fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Jul 31, 2016

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Spacebump posted:

I'm a native Texan. I've lived in both Austin and New Orleans. Tex-Mex is my favorite food but I still think the New Orleans food scene owns it. In the end it's all personal preference.

I would say there is a strong argument that cajun food + to go cups for drinks is > Tex-Mex and BBQ combined. Another reason New Orleans would be a great away game destination is Harrah's.

That's fair. Cajun + drinking in the street may be better than Tex-Mex + BBQ, largely because you can't have both at once (except at Valentine's Tex Mex BBQ, but they don't count).

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

General Dog posted:

It seems pretty likely that the bundle isn't going to be a thing anymore by the time the Big 12 gets a network off the ground, thus adding a poor man's Rutgers and poor man's Maryland would probably be short-sighted.

The Big Ten already has the poor man's Rutgers, it's Rutgers.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
ISU's AD gave an interview Friday where he was pretty open that he and the university president don't care one way or another about adding teams or not, or what teams. They just care about extending the GOR. They're intending to vote for any expansion that includes an extension of the grant of rights and against any expansion that doesn't.

KIM JONG TRILL
Nov 29, 2006

GIN AND JUCHE

Thoguh posted:

ISU's AD gave an interview Friday where he was pretty open that he and the university president don't care one way or another about adding teams or not, or what teams. They just care about extending the GOR. They're intending to vote for any expansion that includes an extension of the grant of rights and against any expansion that doesn't.

Isn't that cute?

Numlock
May 19, 2007

The simplest seppo on the forums

Thermos H Christ posted:

I am astounded to hear that it is breaking even.

They spend almost nothing on it from what I understand, so they probably just funnel the subscription bundle money from people too dumb/old to get a apple TV or equivalent to UT.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
You better be nice to Iowa State or they'll leave and go to...uhh...how's Conference USA's tv deal these days?

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
I hate all of you.

KIM JONG TRILL
Nov 29, 2006

GIN AND JUCHE

Thoguh posted:

I hate all of you.

Hey man we weren't supposed to reveal the new conference slogan yet!

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

KIM JONG TRILL posted:

Hey man we weren't supposed to reveal the new conference slogan yet!

New? That's been the Big XII mantra since 1996.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

kayakyakr posted:

New? That's been the Big XII mantra since 1996.

The old one used to have an exclamation point. The period in the new one really shows the resignation and disgust that's been building up for twenty years.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
I think the Big XII should add the Cincinnati Bearcats

Here is a reason why I think the Bearcats would be a good fit:

quote:

Nippert Stadium's namesake
During the final game of the 1923 season with intrastate rival Miami University, UC player James Gamble Nippert sustained a spike wound injury. He died a month later of blood poisoning, reportedly due to having been infected by droppings left after a pre-game chicken race.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Goetta posted:

I think the Big XII should add the Cincinnati Bearcats

Here is a reason why I think the Bearcats would be a good fit:

holy poo poo that's amazing

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true
News: Fox & ESPN not happy with the Big XII wanting to expand

http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Journal/Issues/2016/08/01/Media/Big-12-TV.aspx

Views: Lie in that bed, jackholes.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Maybe they could make a compromise and pay them not to expand?

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

General Dog posted:

Maybe they could make a compromise and pay them not to expand?

I posted this a few pages back, but I think there is a chance the Big XII is bluffing and that's their goal. Instead of $80 million a year to pay for Cinci games, give them $20 million a year to not expand.

KIM JONG TRILL
Nov 29, 2006

GIN AND JUCHE

kayakyakr posted:

News: Fox & ESPN not happy with the Big XII wanting to expand

http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Journal/Issues/2016/08/01/Media/Big-12-TV.aspx

Views: Lie in that bed, jackholes.

I hope we expand to 16 just to spite them.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

MourningView posted:

You better be nice to Iowa State or they'll leave and go to...uhh...how's Conference USA's tv deal these days?

At least half of the Big 12 is probably in the same mindset of ISU, so it's not like we're standing alone here. ISU and KSU are definitely the most vulnerable of the teams though.

KIM JONG TRILL
Nov 29, 2006

GIN AND JUCHE

Bird in a Blender posted:

At least half of the Big 12 is probably in the same mindset of ISU, so it's not like we're standing alone here. ISU and KSU are definitely the most vulnerable of the teams though.

I think Baylor might be the most vulnerable of all at this point. No P5 will want to touch that with a 10 foot pole. Not to mention all of the other reasons nobody would want them.

Veshpo
May 23, 2016

Oops wrong thread

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

KIM JONG TRILL posted:

I think Baylor might be the most vulnerable of all at this point. No P5 will want to touch that with a 10 foot pole. Not to mention all of the other reasons nobody would want them.

yup.

Bird in a Blender posted:

The one thing ISU has going for them is they are an AAU member. That hasn't really helped Tulane and Rice, though.

KIM JONG TRILL
Nov 29, 2006

GIN AND JUCHE
I can imagine a universe where the ACC adds ISU/KU to be basketbros.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Football has been the driving factor behind pretty much every decision the ACC has made since they started expanding.

• Locked thread