Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Colonial Air Force posted:

Who the hell would know that FJ answer? :stare:
That was pretty high up there on obscure FJs. Course I remember one time where I'm thinking that and 2/3 get it right about some museum in Scandinavia or maybe the Netherlands.

Craziest FJ ever has to be the one that required both of a) the coach of the Cleveland Cavaliers and b) the guy who recently unseated a Congressman, Eric Cantor I think, connected only by the fact that they were both named David.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

i "knew" it but i think technically i woulda been wrong on the show because i always thought his name was canarvon.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
He should have wagered nothing and at worst tied her.

MD2020
May 30, 2003

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Zero One posted:

He should have wagered nothing and at worst tied her.

He bets nothing, he wins $18,400.

Instead, even if he's right, he wins $18,401. But in worst case scenario, he wins $2000 (or whatever 2nd place gets).

So he wagered a potential loss of $16,400 to win $1.

Not exactly +EV.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

I thought there were no ties anymore.

MD2020
May 30, 2003

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

wa27 posted:

I thought there were no ties anymore.

I don't watch it everyday, so if that is the case then that would explain his decision.

But then what would happen if two contestants entered final jeopardy with the same amount of money?

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
They do a tie-breaker question now. No more ties.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.
What if they have the same amount going into final and bet everything and get it wrong. Who gets 2nd and 3rd?

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:

jojoinnit posted:

What if they have the same amount going into final and bet everything and get it wrong. Who gets 2nd and 3rd?

If everyone gets 0 there are no winners and 3 new players come in the next day. I think that's what you're asking?

If there's a tie for second/third it goes by closest podium to the left.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

MD2020 posted:

I don't watch it everyday, so if that is the case then that would explain his decision.

But then what would happen if two contestants entered final jeopardy with the same amount of money?

arthur chu hosed it up for everyone else by tying a bunch.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

zakharov posted:

If everyone gets 0 there are no winners and 3 new players come in the next day. I think that's what you're asking?

I was asking about the latter situation. Podium placement being the difference between a thousand bucks seems a mite unfair.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

Welp what a cupcake FJ to close out the season. How did 2 of them miss it?

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

nobody got this one and it was easy as heck despite what this article and a sports illustrated writer would have you believe

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2015/10/sports-final-jeopardy-answer-mlb-team-name

i feel like i see two or three people get stumped on the easiest final jeopardies and then i'll see all three get a tough one. it's werid.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

Groovelord Neato posted:

nobody got this one and it was easy as heck despite what this article and a sports illustrated writer would have you believe

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2015/10/sports-final-jeopardy-answer-mlb-team-name

i feel like i see two or three people get stumped on the easiest final jeopardies and then i'll see all three get a tough one. it's werid.

I got it and I'm a baseball fan but that is a horrible clue.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

zakharov posted:

Welp what a cupcake FJ to close out the season. How did 2 of them miss it?
Younger contestants not being taught much Latin in schools is my most charitable guess. How many colleges even contain "nova" in their names?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

zakharov posted:

I got it and I'm a baseball fan but that is a horrible clue.

I got it despite knowing very little about baseball because it's my favorite of all the team names for exactly the reason in the clue.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

zakharov posted:

jojoinnit posted:

Podium placement being the difference between a thousand bucks seems a mite unfair.

Podium placement is completely random (as in whoever's name card they draw first for challenger gets middle, and then the other gets the right), so I really don't think that's right. I think it goes by whoever had the most money going into Final to determine who gets what consolation prize money, and if they were still tied then, then whoever had the most going into Double Jeopardy. At least, I think that's how it worked once when they needed to determine a Wild Card spot in the most recent Tournament of Champions...

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
I don't know if it was a repeat episode or not, but last night's episode ended with one of the contestants putting up "What is ALEVE" as their response to a Final Jeopardy clue about two countries in Africa named after rivers that rhyme that nobody got right.

He'd been acting halfway stoned/hosed up all episode and the studio loving lost it laughing at him for that.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Wade Wilson posted:

I don't know if it was a repeat episode or not, but last night's episode ended with one of the contestants putting up "What is ALEVE" as their response to a Final Jeopardy clue about two countries in Africa named after rivers that rhyme that nobody got right.

He'd been acting halfway stoned/hosed up all episode and the studio loving lost it laughing at him for that.
That "one of the contestants" is Alex Jacob, the most dominant Tournament of Champions player in the history of the game. He used to be a professional (multiple millions in winnings) poker player, and most of his mannerisms/affectations on Jeopardy! stem from that.

zenguitarman
Apr 6, 2009

Come on, lemme see ya shake your tail feather

Wowzers, Matt Jackson is like next level spectrum Matt Jackson in this ToC. Still owns though.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Wade Wilson posted:

Besides what was already said about Alex Jacob above, the whole "What is Aleve?" thing cracked me up even more when I saw it during the first time this ToC aired because Aleve is the sponsor for the consolation prizes that non-winners get in non tournament games. After my episode aired, my cousins went to Carvel and got me a cake with Aleve written on it to rub it in after my viewing party.

Dunno why Trebek didn't pick up on that connection when he reacted to Alex's response and made a headache reference instead, since Johnny Gilbert does the Aleve commercial spot they play before coming back from the break right before Final Jeopardy from the announcer's table for every show when they tape. That was clearly what Alex Jacob was going for there.

I guess I never really paid attention since the spot is second nature to me now, but do they even do a Johnny Gilbert Aleve announcement during tournaments where they aren't the consolation prize sponsor? Maye Trebek hears them so often nowadays that he tunes them out as well?

GhostStalker fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Aug 11, 2016

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

My partner is gonna be on next season. I'll wait to decide if I point her out in the thread before it airs if at all though.
Nothing against anyone in the thread or anything like that but I'm wary with Internet and real life intersecting. I'm stoked for the trip to the studio though!

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

jojoinnit posted:

My partner is gonna be on next season. I'll wait to decide if I point her out in the thread before it airs if at all though.
Nothing against anyone in the thread or anything like that but I'm wary with Internet and real life intersecting. I'm stoked for the trip to the studio though!

Congrats, and have a great time, it's a pretty amazing experience if I do say so myself. Hopefully, the email I gave you helped her make it onto the show. Remember though that only the contestants get the free ride to the studio (and I dunno if you're allowed in the Sony commissary if she's still a possible contestant or the champion when the lunch break rolls around), and you have to spring for the cab fare there (and back) yourself.

Even if you are only in the friends and family seating area, you'll be able to interact a bit with the absolute saint who is the head contestant coordinator, Maggie Speak. She absolutely great to work with, and is great at handling the bundle of nerves that is your usual Jeopardy contestant, so your partner will be in good hands.

GhostStalker fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Aug 11, 2016

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

GhostStalker posted:

Congrats, and have a great time, it's a pretty amazing experience if I do say so myself. Hopefully, the email I gave you helped her make it onto the show. Remember though that only the contestants get the free ride to the studio (and I dunno if you're allowed in the Sony commissary if she's still a possible contestant or the champion when the lunch break rolls around), and you have to spring for the cab fare there (and back) yourself.

Even if you are only in the friends and family seating area, you'll be able to interact a bit with the absolute saint who is the head contestant coordinator, Maggie Speak. She absolutely great to work with, and is great at handling the bundle of nerves that is your usual Jeopardy contestant, so your partner will be in good hands.

Thanks! She never ended up sending the email but I do appreciate you sharing the info with me. In a way im happier as her getting this far with no outside assistance is definitely raising her confidence level. We've been given a rundown of the expenses and I'm already committed to paying for the flights and a rental car. At least the hotel is subsidised but yeah, I was shocked at how much you have to outlay just to be able to compete.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

jojoinnit posted:

just please tell her not to sway at her podium

if Maggie was really as good as GS says, she would filter out swayers

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

There's no podium at the auditions!

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

There have been a few people this past season who were clearly doing it to annoy the other contestants and I haven't figured out whether or not I'm against that yet

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Man Id love to see Matt and Alex vs Watson. That'd be a great game

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Soothing Vapors posted:

just please tell her not to sway at her podium

if Maggie was really as good as GS says, she would filter out swayers

zakharov posted:

There's no podium at the auditions!

This. The first time we're at a podium is the practice games that they do for us to get comfortable with the buzzer, picking and answering clues, and the flow of the game as the audience is filing in prior to taping the first episode and picking the contestants for it. So she really wouldn't know. But she's just so drat enthusiastic, so there's that too.

Also, speaking of Alex Jacob, the rerun of the ToC seems to have brought back a ton of his haters who haven't gotten over his victory (or maybe just missed it the first time around) in the peanut gallery of the Jeopardy Facebook page comments. Besides that, there was a person who all but diagnosed Matt Jackson with Aspergers based off of his appearance and mannerisms during his appearances. While I think he might be on the spectrum somewhere (I forget if he mentioned it in a comment somewhere when his episodes were first airing or something like that) and I think we joked about it here, a lot of Jeopardy alums (including a bunch who have played against either of them) thought it super rude, came around to support them online, especially people complaining about Alex Jacob's mannerisms when that's just how he competes on the show and he's apparently a very nice dude off camera, though I haven't gotten around to meeting him yet.

As I've said before, Jeopardy alums roll deep, and it was probably easier to coordinate this time around because a whole bunch of them were meeting up at the Trivia Championships of North America (TCONA) in Las Vegas this past weekend.

jojoinnit posted:

Thanks! She never ended up sending the email but I do appreciate you sharing the info with me. In a way im happier as her getting this far with no outside assistance is definitely raising her confidence level. We've been given a rundown of the expenses and I'm already committed to paying for the flights and a rental car. At least the hotel is subsidised but yeah, I was shocked at how much you have to outlay just to be able to compete.

Fair enough, I dunno if the referral emails do anything anymore since my episode was 2 years ago. Though apparently I got someone from this thread onto the show via the email (Riptor, was it? I forget) only for him to get destroyed (by Matt Jackson, I think?) when he taped.

Still, if I show up for a taping to be in the audience sometime in the future, I have no question that Maggie would probably recognize me (probably easier if I wear my Jeopardy cap) and come over to greet me. She really is a saint, which you'll find out when your partner goes to tape.

And yes, it is quite the outlay to get out to LA just to tape, but I came out a couple hundred ahead on my trip, so you guys should have fun and not worry too much about it. The discounted hotel rate is nice (as was the fact that we effectively got a free night when the desk clerk messed up correcting an error on our bill), and I had a really good time in LA. Really, enjoy it, and I look forward to seeing how your partner does when their episode airs.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

i'm the guy who complains about the mannerisms of a professional poker player on a competitive game show

A Tasteful Nude
Jun 3, 2013

A cool anime hagrid pic (imagine nude pls)
So, I like watching Jeopardy when I get home from work a lot. It's nice and feels good when you know the answer. However, it sounds like some of you have actually been on the show.

Accordingly, I have to ask: What does Alex talk to everyone about after the final jeopardy showdown? Some contestants seem weird as hell: Is Trebeck for real charismatic enough to come up with new small talk with these people EVERY night? Have you guys compared Alex post-game small talk notes?

Also: the game cannot exist with Alex Trebek, right? What the hell are they going to do when he needs to retire?

And will he stand as a contestant, on his final episode?

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

A Tasteful Nude posted:

Also: the game cannot exist with Alex Trebek, right? What the hell are they going to do when he needs to retire?
Nobody is really sure but there are a lot of people rooting for Ken Jennings to get picked up as host

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w3RSAEKfWds

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Vulture Culture posted:

i'm the guy who complains about the mannerisms of a professional poker player on a competitive game show

this is kinda dumb since people like justin schwartz exist.

mennoknight
Nov 24, 2003

I WILL JUST EAT ONE MORE SANDWICH
OH MY HEAD EXPLORDED I'M JAY FATSTER

A Tasteful Nude posted:

So, I like watching Jeopardy when I get home from work a lot. It's nice and feels good when you know the answer. However, it sounds like some of you have actually been on the show.

Accordingly, I have to ask: What does Alex talk to everyone about after the final jeopardy showdown? Some contestants seem weird as hell: Is Trebeck for real charismatic enough to come up with new small talk with these people EVERY night? Have you guys compared Alex post-game small talk notes?

And will he stand as a contestant, on his final episode?

He asked me more questions about my anecdote, which to me was the real victory.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Vulture Culture posted:

So you're the dude we constantly make fun of in our Jeopardy Contestant Facebook group whenever an asinine comment pops up in the peanut gallery... ;)

Niki Peters from the currently airing College Tournament was the next person to get a ton of hate in the Jeopardy Facebook page peanut gallery with someone accusing her of having a secret earpiece or something hidden by her hair supplying her answers. Everyone else thought that was ludicrous, but a bunch of Jeopardy people came in anyway, including Niki herself, to burn the accuser with how stupid he actually was.

A Tasteful Nude posted:

For me, it was discussing the Final Jeopardy clue. Alex told us that he was the one who came up with the clue after hearing about the specific fact: that Saudi Arabia has had 5 siblings (well 6 now, since the previous King died last year) as consecutive heads of state. He was the one who suggested to the writers to make that into a clue, which all three of us missed. I tried explaining my train of thought for my answer (I misread the clue, confused Head of State with Head of Government, the Thai coup was recently in the news when they were taping my episode and I remembered that the Prime Minister that was removed was the sister of a previous one, so I guessed Thailand) and Alex quickly shot me down there because there weren't 5 of them and they wasn't Head of State. That's what I remember of the conversation.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Where on the Jeopardy website will it tell me when new episodes air?

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
They start on Monday, the 12th.

THANK GOD

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

HookShot posted:

They start on Monday, the 12th.

THANK GOD

We still have to deal with the reruns of the awful Power Players week next before that though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Ugh what the hell, for some reason I thought we were like the 10th :downs: