Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Get a bulk bag of lock washers, I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I'm in the middle of revalving my R6 forks with the Ohlins 20mm kit, I managed to gently caress up one of my stock cartridges trying to get it open yesterday without enough heat so I ended up buying two bent forks from a friend to salvage for their carts, both from different bikes.

Here is one of them:

Here is what the cartridge looks like - rebound rod out the left. I don't know what the spring is for, I'm assuming it handles the fork bottoming since this cartridge design doesn't have a hydraulic lock like most normal street carts.

This came out of the bent-as-poo poo fork leg. Stock valving is left, whatever was in this on the right. Center is compression, outside is rebound, both are valved differently from stock and there is an aftermarket compression valve of some type. The rebound needle lives in the boxy part between the rebound stack and the rebound rod, which is pressed on by a thin rod running through the center of the rebound rod when you turn the rebound adjuster.

And now I've got four disassembled forks, with which I can build 2 complete forks and have a bunch of random spare poo poo left over.

You will note the crankshaft from the 675 that tried to kill me when it locked up on track.

Schroeder91
Jul 5, 2007

Okay now my kickstand is mostly tight :v

Got a 19mm shorty wrench and was able to turn one of the bolts pretty tight with repeated 1/8 turns. The other one I can't though. Literally no space to move the wrench once it's on the bolt :mad: It might work if I take the center stand off but I'm not doing that tonight

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Brakleen, Simple Green, and Gloves make a mechanic I.

Seriously those three things made me who I am today.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Replaced a rear tire. My wife is using the jack I need to hoist both wheels, so just one tire at a time for the moment.

Old: Avon Trailrider
New: Metzeler Roadtec 01

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

Schroeder91 posted:

Okay now my kickstand is mostly tight :v

Got a 19mm shorty wrench and was able to turn one of the bolts pretty tight with repeated 1/8 turns. The other one I can't though. Literally no space to move the wrench once it's on the bolt :mad: It might work if I take the center stand off but I'm not doing that tonight

Are we talking about this?

100 Nm is a bit more than finger tight.

Schroeder91
Jul 5, 2007

Nidhg00670000 posted:

Are we talking about this?

100 Nm is a bit more than finger tight.

Yes, and finger tight wasn't meant to be permanent. I just needed it stay while I went to work and then got to Lowe's to get a wrench that would fit. Can't say I reached 100 Nm with a shorty wrench though, especially since I could only tighten one of the bolts unless I pull off the pipes and maybe even the center stand.

Edit: where do you find that online? That's a handy picture and I'd love to see more

Schroeder91 fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Jul 17, 2016

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I have a service manual for 1k Stroms in my Dropbox, dunno if it's :filez: though.

Schroeder91
Jul 5, 2007

I have the physical book but it's not that detailed, iirc it just lists all torque specs on a page at the beginning of the chapter.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer
This is the official Suzuki service manual.

EDIT: The one I have and that the picture is from, I mean.

Here; just tell me when you've downloaded it so I can free up some space in my Dropbox.

Nothing to see here.

VVV--- No grenade next to his name, doesn't that mean no plat = no PMs?

Nidhg00670000 fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Jul 17, 2016

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Nidhg00670000 posted:

I have a service manual for 1k Stroms in my Dropbox, dunno if it's :filez: though.

I highly doubt it is files, but just PM him the link instead of posting it.

Schroeder91
Jul 5, 2007

Nidhg00670000 posted:

This is the official Suzuki service manual.

EDIT: The one I have and that the picture is from, I mean.

Done, thanks. And yes no plat and afaik no pms, I should get plat.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Great, hope it helps! Don't think it'll give you more room for wrenches though.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Schroeder91 posted:

Done, thanks. And yes no plat and afaik no pms, I should get plat.

You should get plat.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Degreased the underside and took it for a ride so I can pin down this oil leak.

Seems like it's not the clutch rod grommet like I thought; no, that would be too easy. Looks like it's actually coming from the pick-up coil :cripes:

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
Got my steering head bearings done with "all balls" replacements. shop charged $250 which I think was reasonable. The old ones were so hosed.

I really need to get a garage or some kind of workshop, really sick of not being able to do my own work. drat you NYC!!

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Voltage posted:

Got my steering head bearings done with "all balls" replacements. shop charged $250 which I think was reasonable. The old ones were so hosed.

I really need to get a garage or some kind of workshop, really sick of not being able to do my own work. drat you NYC!!

Who did you use?

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch
Fixed my "DRZ that blows fuses" problem.

I took apart most of the electrical connectors and cleaned them out/inspected them for damage. None were dirty or obviously damaged. No wires were obviously damaged, but I didn't get the chance to unwrap most of that poo poo before running out of daylight.
It's also not the charging system, since it blew one with the engine off. :iiam:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Marxalot posted:

Fixed my "DRZ that blows fuses" problem.

I took apart most of the electrical connectors and cleaned them out/inspected them for damage. None were dirty or obviously damaged. No wires were obviously damaged, but I didn't get the chance to unwrap most of that poo poo before running out of daylight.
It's also not the charging system, since it blew one with the engine off. :iiam:

If it did it with the engine off you have a short to chassis somewhere.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
code:
Öhlins
             Öhlins
                           Öhlins
Öhlins             Öhlins
Öhlins   Öhlins

Öhlins

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Heeelp meee... prevent wildfires
Replaced the two missing screws that hold the coil onto the frame instead of letting it rattle around loose under the tank. Whoops

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

Put these guys on

I had no torque wrench or any of the sockets that fit the bike. The geniuses at Rizoma did not include washers for the sliders. It took 6 hardware store trips to figure out all the tools, and only about 7 minutes of work.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Dog Case posted:

Replaced the two missing screws that hold the coil onto the frame instead of letting it rattle around loose under the tank. Whoops

I still have to get the broken screw out of mine.

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!

builds character posted:

Who did you use?

Wheel sport center in new rochelle.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Adjusted the steering head bearings. Noticed a pop when I laid on the brakes, now I don't. Seems ok.

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe

Crosspost. Bought, put 200 miles on it, mostly highway. It's like learning how to ride, and enjoying it, all over again. Also ran errands on it. Returned some bicycling gear, tied to the rack. Shipped a Dainese jacket today, stowed in a saddlebag. Accidentally power wheelied in second gear, oops.

GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004

~toot~
Stock bar

difference between stock and rizoma bar

rizoma bar installed(also progrips and rizoma end weights)

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.
The new bar looks pretty cool.

GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004

~toot~
The stock bar is decent but I'm a little short so when I am in a relaxed position my arms want to fall below the stock height. The new bar is a little lower and has a little more sweep so it's a lot more natural for me. Also the progrips are very squishy.

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

Buhbuhj posted:

The stock bar is decent but I'm a little short so when I am in a relaxed position my arms want to fall below the stock height. The new bar is a little lower and has a little more sweep so it's a lot more natural for me. Also the progrips are very squishy.

How do you like the mirror sticks? They look interesting. Also what bike is it?

GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004

~toot~

pokie posted:

How do you like the mirror sticks? They look interesting. Also what bike is it?

It's an FZ-09. The stock mirrors do the job ok, I'll probably end up replacing them with something smaller but they aren't on my list of things I want to get to this summer.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Nice. Put a road bicycle inner tube full of sand in there for that no-vibe magic.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

FINALLY got the front end together. New springs, new seals, new oil, new pads. PO has some crazy huge aftermarket rotors on this thing, and with new pads I just couldn't get them apart far enough. C clamp trick needed like 4 more hands. Finally splurged and bought this thing, and goddamn, sumbitch got everything done in 2 seconds flat. Also installed speed bleeders and bled all the brakes.

Needs new coolant, then it'll be all set for trackdays

By the way, this is how I store the fairings under the cover when in the middle of wrenching

doppler
Jul 10, 2006
Motor CIty Machine Music
I changed the oil and rode it for the first time in six months after working abroad. Felt wonderful, the MRD burble is so satisfying.

Also put on a new set of tires on the Honda, it's up for inspection tomorrow. After that I am spending the rest of my home trip on it.

Pinny
Sep 8, 2006
My little Yamaha R125's engine seized on me back in January, and I haven't had the time, effort, or money to get it fixed until recently.

It seems these engines like to drink their 1.2L of oil all of a sudden . Mine popped at just under 22k miles, and went from full, to no oil touching the dipstick in the space of 8-9 days and caught me out. Luckily it still ran enough afterwards to get me home, but its been garaged until i could either fix it, or replace the engine.

Garage wanted ~£1000 fix it, a rebuilt engine on ebay is around £500 from what seems to be a reliable seller. Through the course of pulling the old engine out I found the crank case is cracked slightly below the sprocket, and a piece of the case that the sprocket cover attaches too has been completely cracked off too. No idea how, and Far too much work for me to fix, so a rebuilt ebay engine is on the way.

Teeny tiny 125cc of fury.

All the valves were on the slightly tight end of spec, no signs of anything wrong that I could tell. Accessing the valves when the engine is in the bike is a nightmare, you need hands the size of a 5 year old to be able to get in there.

No damage to any of the valves, or the head that I can see, and everything's still where it should be.

Top of the piston looks perfectly fine, no visible damage.

And finally, there's the damage.

The piston was damaged too but I forgot take a picture before put it back together.

All in all, assuming the crank hasn't poo poo its self too, I could probably fix it for a few hundred £'s in parts. But the cracked crankcase put me off :( The new engine should arrive sometime this week, and it might be back together by the weekend.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Pinny posted:

My little Yamaha R125's engine seized on me back in January, and I haven't had the time, effort, or money to get it fixed until recently.

It seems these engines like to drink their 1.2L of oil all of a sudden . Mine popped at just under 22k miles, and went from full, to no oil touching the dipstick in the space of 8-9 days and caught me out. Luckily it still ran enough afterwards to get me home, but its been garaged until i could either fix it, or replace the engine.

Garage wanted ~£1000 fix it, a rebuilt engine on ebay is around £500 from what seems to be a reliable seller. Through the course of pulling the old engine out I found the crank case is cracked slightly below the sprocket, and a piece of the case that the sprocket cover attaches too has been completely cracked off too. No idea how, and Far too much work for me to fix, so a rebuilt ebay engine is on the way.

Teeny tiny 125cc of fury.

All the valves were on the slightly tight end of spec, no signs of anything wrong that I could tell. Accessing the valves when the engine is in the bike is a nightmare, you need hands the size of a 5 year old to be able to get in there.

No damage to any of the valves, or the head that I can see, and everything's still where it should be.

Top of the piston looks perfectly fine, no visible damage.

And finally, there's the damage.

The piston was damaged too but I forgot take a picture before put it back together.

All in all, assuming the crank hasn't poo poo its self too, I could probably fix it for a few hundred £'s in parts. But the cracked crankcase put me off :( The new engine should arrive sometime this week, and it might be back together by the weekend.

That head design is....very unfortunate.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Easily fixable with an overbore, oversized piston, and a TIG welder for the crankcase :eng101:

Probably cheaper and faster to just get a new engine though. It's only a 125, after all -- so cute :3:

Pinny
Sep 8, 2006
That engine hasn't exactly had an easy life since i bought it in '09 anyway. It spent most of its life between 8-10k rpm either going to/from work, or wheezing its way around the TT course at 75mph. I'm going to try and fix it up as a learning exercise over time and keep it as a spare.

Looks like a kids balance bike right now

New engine should be here by Thursday, all being well. In the meantime the rest of the bike's had a bit of TLC and cleaning. All the bits that block access to the head have been shuffled around to make space for my fat hands too. Next job's are to service the forks, and replace the front brake disc, but there's no rush on that yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Was on holiday, parked the bike in my mom's garage for less than a week, still the battery was low enough that it wouldn't start. Thankfully there's a tiny hill in her driveway that was just long enough to bump start. Chinese piece of poo poo battery, hope I have the receipt still.

But anyway, someone else had a worse day, vehicular-wise. Found this stuck in the gas station air pump.