Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Crowsbeak posted:

If it's a sequel it's fine. My main gripe would be if it was a full remake because the forties was the era where while we fought a war we had several race riots.

Dunno you can't see any skin color in the costume. The dramatic irony of racist 40s people being saved by secret colored superheroes could work

OXBALLS DOT COM fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Jul 29, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

Y-Hat posted:

they need to get an american actor who speaks in a godawful cockney accent like Dick Van Dyke did 50 years ago

apparently they're doing it, and doing that honor is going to be Lin-Manuel Miranda.

if you don't know who he is, he gave us that musical :abuela: referenced in her nom speech. you know, the one with the $1,500 tickets.

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

BillmasterCozb posted:

so is this the new trend, like whenever food chains advertise some new thing like "We have avacados now! We all got em!"

its like hops and srirachi

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Release a new Fantasia with EDM soundtrack

scuba school sucks
Aug 30, 2012

The brilliance of my posting illuminates the forums like a jar of shining gold when all around is dark
Daft Punk's Fantasia But With Robots

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Troy Queef posted:

apparently they're doing it, and doing that honor is going to be Lin-Manuel Miranda.

if you don't know who he is, he gave us that musical :abuela: referenced in her nom speech. you know, the one with the $1,500 tickets.

the one that sucks poo poo but the media has been fellating for months.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

Celluloid Sam posted:

they're making a new Mary poppins with Emily blunt I think

They should do it with a black man. Then he can sing and dance while being the house servant.

Oh, wait. Scratch that.

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

Groovelord Neato posted:

yup, the one this article is about : https://www.currentaffairs.org/2016/07/you-should-be-terrified-that-people-who-like-hamilton-run-our-country

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

XK posted:

They should do it with a black man. Then he can sing and dance while being the house servant.

Oh, wait. Scratch that.

id watch this but I also want to see more Emily blunt so I'm conflicted

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM

Y-Hat posted:

they need to get an american actor who speaks in a godawful cockney accent like Dick Van Dyke did 50 years ago

They should cast an Australian because people can barely tell the difference anyway.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Troy Queef posted:

thanks, i want to die now

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

mary poppins will be played by idris elba

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Uncle Wemus posted:

mary poppins will be played by idris elba

Do this unironically and I'm loving there.

Screen it at P. L Traver's grave plot while each of the Disney grandkids take turns dumping on it.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Mange Mite posted:

Dunno you can't see any skin color in the costume. The dramatic irony of racist 40s people being saved by secret colored superheroes could work

I'm pretty sure Marvel did this in one of their "the real (secret) first ever superhero who nobody ever mentioned before but was totally a real part of the comics universe was also black" comics.

Long/lovely story short, his costume ripped one day* and people realised he was black and had to give up being a hero and live under the sea in a pineapple.

* No. Not that part of his costume.

Trojan.exe
Feb 22, 2011

I never said I was a role model
When are they going to remake The Neverending Story?

Because here's where the kids are today in that:

Bastian: A neckbeard scientologist
Atreyu: Handsome. A while ago he was my friend on Myspace and he was very nice. Very into tattoos now.
The Childlike Empress: Cute af and is a dancer.

The reboot could be Bastian peering into some mysterious tome and as he's reading the book as an adult, this time Atreyu has to fight Scientology instead of the Nothing. The Childlike Empress begs Bastian to remember his true self and has to give her a new name because Scientology is destroying her world. Atreyu dies thanks to L. Ron Hubbard and Bastian breaks down and cries out a new name for The Childlike Empress and learns the moral of the story that Scientology is garbage. Atreyu comes back riding on Falcor who was really a Thetan all along.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
The only question on the Rocketeer Requel: Is there going to be a Betty Page-styled love interest and will she be played DeviantArt model?

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Trojan.exe posted:

When are they going to remake The Neverending Story?

I want them to film the part where Bastian bounds through a desert where every dune is a different color on the back of a badass lion, then gets stuck in a tree-vagina oasis where the tree-lady effectively drugs him with her apple-tits until he wants to do nothing more than lay around and pretend to be five years-old forever.

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana
Nov 25, 2013

Groovelord Neato posted:

maybe he'll do the one that goes

"a-whama-lama Bamilton
My name is Hamilton
And I'm here to say
That I hate the British in the worstest way
I'm HAMILTON!"

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
I've heard a couple of songs from Hamilton and they were pretty good, IMO. But I don't know much about rap in general, and I unironically like chaphop, soooo...

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

the only song that is ok in the entire thing is cabinet battle 1 (and it's pretty much just because of the track/beat) and i never see that brought up as one of the great songs in any article about the play so i know i'm right.

Tricky D
Apr 1, 2005

I love um!
Lol at "hip hop" on broadway

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Mange Mite posted:

If you didn't deal with said racism and sexism that did exist it would make the movie suck. Also sorry that you all cannot deal with Hamilton being awesome.

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

mind the walrus posted:

I want them to film the part where Bastian bounds through a desert where every dune is a different color on the back of a badass lion, then gets stuck in a tree-vagina oasis where the tree-lady effectively drugs him with her apple-tits until he wants to do nothing more than lay around and pretend to be five years-old forever.

:stare:

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

sounds like I need to actually read the neverending story

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!

GRANNYS PEACH TEA posted:

Daft Punk's Fantasia But With Robots

That would end up being a remake of Robot Carnival.

a retard
Jan 7, 2013

by Lowtax

Crowsbeak posted:

If you didn't deal with said racism and sexism that did exist it would make the movie suck. Also sorry that you all cannot deal with Hamilton being awesome.

a three hour long version of epic rap battles of history tailor made to make rich white people feel better about themselves is "awesome" yep

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
i saw a commercial for the new Ben Hur in 3d. holy loving :negative:

is nothing sacred to these fuckheads?

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

thathonkey posted:

i saw a commercial for the new Ben Hur in 3d. holy loving :negative:

is nothing sacred to these fuckheads?

To be fair it looks so obviously bad from every frame of footage that I think the studio is just trying to bury it. Plus y'know, who under age 50 has ever even tried to watch Ben-Hur if they're aware of it at all?

It's like remaking Animal Crackers or How Green Was My Valley-- yeah it's a lovely thing to do but can you tell me with a straight face that 80% of the prospective audience for a remake will have even heard of the originals, and that 19 of the remaining 20% have even bothered to see them?

Celluloid Sam posted:

sounds like I need to actually read the neverending story

Do it fatboys. The first movie only comprises the first half or so of the book, with a few bits in the middle repurposed for the second movie. The book's second half goes into weird 70s German "false manhood" territory where Bastian wanders Fantasia using the wish power of the Auryn to do rad poo poo while each wish eats at his memories until Atreyu and Falkor have to stop him from becoming a rampaging God-Prince and have him remember he's not some magical hero but a Goon kid in a bookstore. Feels prescient given how much escapist culture was about to blow up after the book was published, really.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

i've seen ads for ben-hur on abandoned phone booths in nyc. no ads on taxis, no ads in subway stations, no ads inside subways or buses- just phone booths

also stop making movies in 3d you schmucks, it's hardly ever good

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

Y-Hat posted:

i've seen ads for ben-hur on abandoned phone booths in nyc. no ads on taxis, no ads in subway stations, no ads inside subways or buses- just phone booths

also stop making movies in 3d you schmucks, it's hardly ever good

I've seen ads on taxis and buses. But yeah it's mostly been on phone booths.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

a retard posted:

a three hour long version of epic rap battles of history tailor made to make rich white people feel better about themselves is "awesome" yep

Sadly it already happened, they did a miniseries six years ago. So the floodgates were already opened. This is going to utterly suck.

Also I try to rewatch Ben Hur every two years, I love that movie, up there with Spartacus.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

my parents saw Hamilton before it went on broadway and they said that the actual play was better than the soundtrack, which they didn't really like either. but i'm not about to wait in a lottery for months and pay over a grand for a terrible seat in order to find that out for myself

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
Don't worry, much like cats! and Phantom, whoever buys the rights for the off-broadway tour is going to make drat well sure that every human being on this earth has the opportunity to see that loving musical.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

mind the walrus posted:

To be fair it looks so obviously bad from every frame of footage that I think the studio is just trying to bury it. Plus y'know, who under age 50 has ever even tried to watch Ben-Hur if they're aware of it at all?

It's like remaking Animal Crackers or How Green Was My Valley-- yeah it's a lovely thing to do but can you tell me with a straight face that 80% of the prospective audience for a remake will have even heard of the originals, and that 19 of the remaining 20% have even bothered to see them?

fair point but why even bother naming it Ben Hur then? the trailer was just so blatantly terrible modern action schlock and then at the end it said the title of the film was "BEN HUR ... IN 3D"

made me do a double-take. i thought for sure it was just some new generic franchise the studio pulled out of its rear end but they actually had the gall to use a classic title instead for unknown reasons.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

"Name Recognition" is one of the golden fallbacks in Hollywood and has been more or less since the beginning.

"Oh gee I don't know why this lovely chariot movie with Rasta Morgan Freeman didn't succeed. It was based on a venerable franchise that market research said was sure to catch the eyes of the general public."

"Hrm I guess you're right. I'm not going to fire you. Must have been a weird fluke."

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

bongwizzard posted:

Don't worry, much like cats! and Phantom, whoever buys the rights for the off-broadway tour is going to make drat well sure that every human being on this earth has the opportunity to see that loving musical.
that's for the best, because then people who aren't part of the 0.01 percent of the population who hasn't seen it can see for sure that it sucks rear end

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all
I'm pretty sure Hamilton sucks and I didn't even know it existed until today. That's my professional review.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Pvt.Scott posted:

I didn't even know it existed until today.

how is this possible.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

thathonkey posted:

fair point but why even bother naming it Ben Hur then? the trailer was just so blatantly terrible modern action schlock and then at the end it said the title of the film was "BEN HUR ... IN 3D"

made me do a double-take. i thought for sure it was just some new generic franchise the studio pulled out of its rear end but they actually had the gall to use a classic title instead for unknown reasons.

The 1959 film was a remake/re-adaptation of the 1925 film, which was a remake of the 1907 film

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jgqjs-cIQXc

There's also been an animated version in 2003 and a TV miniseries in 2010.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
Classic movies can only be remade via the magic of anime.

• Locked thread