Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Stephanie is one of my favorite characters but I would gladly Looper her out of ever being Robin if we could get rid of War Games in the process.

I don't think anybody could make a good argument for her as the best Robin when her being Robin is so inextricably tied to one of the worst Batman stories ever printed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Travis343 posted:

Honestly reading his Detective stuff, how great he is with every distinct character in the Batfam, and knowing how much DT hates him makes me think he's the only writer who might make me give a poo poo about Jason. I kinda want to read his red hood issues now!

Who wrote B&R: Eternal? Jason was pretty decent in that.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Travis343 posted:

Stephanie is one of my favorite characters but I would gladly Looper her out of ever being Robin if we could get rid of War Games in the process.

I don't think anybody could make a good argument for her as the best Robin when her being Robin is so inextricably tied to one of the worst Batman stories ever printed.

I have not read or seen much of War Games. What was bad about it out of curiosity. (Though I hear a lot of the most hated things in it are actually the fault of it's follow up War Crimes.)

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 33 hours!

JoshTheStampede posted:

Who wrote B&R: Eternal? Jason was pretty decent in that.

Per wiki

quote:

written by Scott Snyder, James Tynion IV, Ray Fawkes, Kyle Higgins and Tim Seeley

so it is a triple rape genocide.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Travis343 posted:

Yeah, Stephanie as the best Batgirl is a much more serious argument than her as Robin.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Cassandra's my favorite Batgirl.

I was mostly joking about Stephanie being the best Robin in any way. I like her best as Spoiler more than anything.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Roth posted:

Cassandra's my favorite Batgirl.

I was mostly joking about Stephanie being the best Robin in any way. I like her best as Spoiler more than anything.

Cassandra's my favorite too.

I just want Stephanie around, I don't really care what mask she's wearing.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?

Stephanie is great. Period.

Bryan Q. Miller even redeemed Wendy after Wonderdog crippled her and ate her brother.

And then The New 52 happened and she got sidelined so that Barbara could mysteriously walk again and Tim got shunted off and ignored and no I'm not even a little bit bitter about the whole disgusting mess what are you talking about stop putting words in my mouth.

Darth Nat
Aug 24, 2007

It all comes out right in the end.
Cass is the best, but Cass and Steph together is the GOAT.

My only complaint about Detective is that there hasn't been nearly enough Cass and Steph friendship-ness so far. I don't care about re-establishing Tim and Steph's romance at all, just give me back Cass and Steph being awesome best friends.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Inkspot posted:

-snip-
Stephanie is great. Period.

Bryan Q. Miller even redeemed Wendy after Wonderdog crippled her and ate her brother.

And then The New 52 happened and she got sidelined so that Barbara could mysteriously walk again and Tim got shunted off and ignored and no I'm not even a little bit bitter about the whole disgusting mess what are you talking about stop putting words in my mouth.

Even though I'm not a big Damian fan, I'm really glad he's taking over Teen Titans from Tim, because Tim has been awful in that series since the New 52 began. Detective Comics is his best portrayal in a long time.

Darth Nat posted:

My only complaint about Detective is that there hasn't been nearly enough Cass and Steph friendship-ness so far. I don't care about re-establishing Tim and Steph's romance at all, just give me back Cass and Steph being awesome best friends.

They are pretty fantastic together. I kind of ship it

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Darth Nat posted:

GOAT? I go with Steph as my favourite Batgirl, but I would never belittle someone for choosing Cass either. And they are a great pair, is Detective Comics holding up? I can't wait for that to hit trades.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

catlord posted:

GOAT? I go with Steph as my favourite Batgirl, but I would never belittle someone for choosing Cass either. And they are a great pair, is Detective Comics holding up? I can't wait for that to hit trades.

Yeah it's probably the best of the Rebirth books so far.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

JoshTheStampede posted:

Detective and Superman are miles ahead of the pack. Tec is my favorite just because I'm such a huge nerd for Kate, Cass, Steph and Tim but Superman is real real good.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

catlord posted:

It's easily the best book focusing on Batman characters.

Edit - Nobody can deny that Cassandra had the right idea as Batgirl

Roth fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Jul 31, 2016

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

JoshTheStampede posted:

Excellent. It's double shipping, right? Does that mean we only have to wait like, four months for a trade instead of seven (well, bit more than that, paperback comes out a bit later than hardback) or whatever?

Roth posted:

It's easily the best book focusing on Batman characters.

Edit - Nobody can deny that Cassandra had the right idea as Batgirl

I'm so glad they're reprinting her series. Need to grab the second volume next time I'm at the comic shop.

radlum
May 13, 2013
Is the latest Suicide Squad run any good? I read it at the beginning of the New 52 and I really disliked but I'm interested in giving it another shot. Also, is Amanda Waller still a skinny woman or did they go back to the classic look?

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

radlum posted:

Is the latest Suicide Squad run any good? I read it at the beginning of the New 52 and I really disliked but I'm interested in giving it another shot. Also, is Amanda Waller still a skinny woman or did they go back to the classic look?

They gradually made her fat again and explained it by having her stress-eat to deal with the anxiety of running the Suicide Squad.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

JoshTheStampede posted:

They gradually made her fat again and explained it by having her stress-eat to deal with the anxiety of running the Suicide Squad.

Ahaha, seriously? I said that thinking it was a joke I made up.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

WickedHate posted:

Ahaha, seriously? I said that thinking it was a joke I made up.

No I also was kidding.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

No they didn't. She magically got big in the April Fools special that was a prelude to the Rebirth series, and then back to skinny for the issues of New Suicide Squad. There's no transition.

I really liked Tim Seeley's run on NSS, and especially the Juan Ferreyra art.

I was bummed to see the last issue go back to Sean Ryan. Didn't know that till I bought it.

e:

JoshTheStampede posted:

No I also was kidding.

Oop.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Jul 31, 2016

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

JoshTheStampede posted:

No I also was kidding.

In that case you're a drat dirty joke thief. :argh:

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Original Joke; Do Not Steal.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
That page is nearly incomprehensible to me.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 33 hours!

SonicRulez posted:

That page is nearly incomprehensible to me.

Do we need to translate it into upvotes, retweets, or anime gifs?

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Mr Hootington posted:

Do we need to translate it into upvotes, retweets, or anime gifs?

Anything that isn't terrible would be fine.

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

SonicRulez posted:

Anything that isn't terrible would be fine.

Lol what a dweeb

ZDar Fan
Oct 15, 2012

Inkspot posted:

Requesting clarification on this, because what

Darth Nat
Aug 24, 2007

It all comes out right in the end.
During one of the many, many, many ill-conceived Teen Titans storylines, Wonder Dog turned into a huge hell hound because of reasons (something related to Ares? I really don't remember) and ate Wendy's brother and crippled her. This was considered about par for the course for Titans.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Reminder that it was around that time that superstar OC THE FACE also asked Miss Martian if she could turn into a giant cooze and eat her out.

Teen Titans Go!

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

It was the dark ages of the 2003 series, where around the same time they had a cover loudly proclaim "IN THIS ISSUE, ANOTHER TITAN DIES"

Though, to be fair, that character's death was at least done well, but it still paints a pretty clear picture at how much of a low point the series was at. At least, it was improving with the last 12 or so issues somewhat, before going way downhill again with the New 52 when Scott Lobdell took over.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Yeah that layout is really bad. The top of the page draws the eye across to the right side but you're actually supposed to go back to the left page and read panels simultaneously I guess? Then it does a weird L thing to draw your eye up then back down. At best it's unclear and I've seen similar things done way better.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

FilthyImp posted:

Reminder that it was around that time that superstar OC THE FACE also asked Miss Martian if she could turn into a giant cooze and eat her out.

Teen Titans Go!

Who wrote that? I'd like a name to go with the sorrow.

Endless Mike posted:

Yeah that layout is really bad. The top of the page draws the eye across to the right side but you're actually supposed to go back to the left page and read panels simultaneously I guess? Then it does a weird L thing to draw your eye up then back down. At best it's unclear and I've seen similar things done way better.

Thank you, I thought I was crazy. Or a dweeb I guess.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

SonicRulez posted:

Who wrote that? I'd like a name to go with the sorrow.

Sean McKeever, I think.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?

ZDar Fan posted:

Requesting clarification on this, because what

Pretty much what was said above. Later, Barbara set Wendy up as "Proxy" so Steph could still have someone in her ear while Babs went off to play Oracle for all the other Bats.

Then they cancelled the book and Miller wrote the Smallville s11 comics that most people don't know (or care) ever even existed.

Endless Mike posted:

Yeah that layout is really bad.

Is it wrong to show someone getting shot before showing the gun that they were shot with actually being fired? Weird.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Wheat Loaf posted:

Sean McKeever, I think.

If it's a bad story involving a teen hero, this is a pretty good guess.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I don't think it's that hard to follow when there's a margin separating the pages. It does rely on the viewer cottoning on to the fact that the background is mirroring the panels and wanting to look back up at Deadshot.

Even if it's a bit more work, I think it's a fun way to mix up a couple pages of an action scene.

e: Anyway, it looked neat, which was the point. He's the second artist on Green Arrow now, which is a pretty good match to Otto.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Why making it a two page spread then? If the idea is to make the second page a mirror of the first, making them separate pages would've been better.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

If the idea is to make the second page a mirror of the first

It's not. The bottom is a timeline of the scene, matching the panels above it.
On the first page she's shooting and flipping around that bad guy and on the second they're surrounded.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Aug 1, 2016

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Why making it a two page spread then? If the idea is to make the second page a mirror of the first, making them separate pages would've been better.

This I don't agree with. There's ways to present this page and achieve the desired effect that are good and interesting. The way it's presented is bad and confusing, but the idea isn't inherently bad or wrong. Like I said, I've seen layouts doing this sort of thing that have worked well. That's not one of them at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Like the Young Avengers one. That one had numbered areas to make it easier though.