Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cumslut1895
Feb 18, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
Personally, I wouldn't want to live if I was that injured

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zorodius
Feb 11, 2007

EA GAMES' MASTERPIECE 'MADDEN 2018 G.O.A.T. EDITION' IS A GLORIOUS TRIUMPH OF ART AND TECHNOLOGY. IT BRINGS GAMEDAY RIGHT TO THE PLAYER AND WHOEVER SAYS OTHERWISE CAN, YOU GUESSED IT...
SUCK THE SHIT STRAIGHT OUT OF MY OWN ASSHOLE.

BUY IT.
hey OP, sorry your situation sucks. Namaste.

FAN OF NICKELBACK
Apr 9, 2002

Cumslut1895 posted:

Personally, I wouldn't want to live if I was that injured

realistically, you would already be gone and have made a decision for the new person that lived in your body, but i mean yea me too

The_Book_Of_Harry
Apr 30, 2013

Avshalom posted:

op now the hordes of prematurely balding skinnyfat sysadmins have realised that they can bait you and, having spent their formative years learning seventeen useless coding languages and fantasising about shooting up a basketball court instead of smoking weed and knowing the touch of a woman like the normal children, are tasting for the first time in their lives the sublime sweetness of bullying someone worse off than them and they think that a momentary lapse in self-loathing is the same as happiness because happiness is also something they've never experienced (they'd argue that they were happy when they won a whole box of krispy kremes in an office raffle but that was at best a fleeting self-satisfaction tinged with the everpresent fear of death which then they projected onto carbs and sugar and now they're projecting onto your innocent family)

Lawl.

These fucks have never laid it on the line for an outside chance. They've probably never tried at anything, ever.

Feelings are scary, man!

----

Re: bitterposts

Either be funny, appeal to reason, or shut the gently caress up.

----

OP, I retract the "wildly defensive" comment.

You are (predictably) "somewhat" defensive, with a decent eye for pointless battles

FAN OF NICKELBACK
Apr 9, 2002
for the last six months of our relationship as it was, we had a pact where we ended every night with full body oil massages, some video games and an episode of whatever. pretty sure quantum leap was our last few weeks, she'd never seen it before and i really dug the first season (it got garbage pretty quick after if i recall correctly).

there were a couple times we'd been on the verge of an argument, but the fact we knew how the night would end sorta always hung over it, so we'd find our own center in order to avoid the most awkward thing we'd conceivably awkwardly still enjoy.

point is it rarely got sexual, we were busy and tired parents, but damnit every night ended with effortful appreciation of each other come hell or high water. I find or recreate that sort of average day again how, exactly.

my birthday is in 9 days. the same day of my daughters first day of school, which i gotta handle alone. it always meant more to my wife than it did me, 'cause i'm a jerk i guess.

i'm listening to my wife in the next room snort and make a ton of vocalizations, thinking back to when I cried just hearing her voice, and just sorta hoping to make it through the next few months. today i got flawless results asking her to look at me, then my dad and then my mom, and then back to me and a technically adequate attempt to say "hi" and it's just poo poo. she's trying, and she doesn't have to, so there's more there than I'd like if I can have a moment to just be selfish and not have to think about more grey area agony and hope. Yet still, this is technically better than expected. realistically, i can't accept all that without also accepting she's going to continue to improve, and that she might just find a day she's glad she woke up . . . and that without my everything she's got a pretty likely chance of waking up with a decreased chance of glad. get edgy i guess, because who cares honestly, it doesn't leave an effect anywhere really. if anything i just want to lend a thought to what happens if my wife is gone and the scared person in her body is just desperate for help, because otherwise why try so goddamned hard to do things that aren't easy to accomplish?

i guess just, look, i'm exhausted in ways most people wouldn't even associate that word. i don't have a real solid reason for this post or the ton of others i've made recently, but i also feel like it's pretty important that someone just talks about this sort of situation because man, no one does and it just seems lovely that this wasn't there for me to read and inadequately prepare for at the start of this . . . so it would be poo poo of me not to leave it here for someone else.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

I dunno OP I read the diving bell and it was loving depressing but the guy in it still wanted to live

FAN OF NICKELBACK
Apr 9, 2002
yeah, but what did he live with if he failed at doing something he didn't want to do for someone who said they didn't want it done, in a situation where he couldn't verify that the decision hadn't changed, and where it wouldn't matter anyway because a child's stability depended on keeping a promise to someone else?

the aristocrats!

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

anoxic that you ischemic

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

what the gently caress

FAN OF NICKELBACK
Apr 9, 2002
holy poo poo page 2

the second page

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

uh nox ick = i noticed?

FAN OF NICKELBACK
Apr 9, 2002
oh my god kim

you're back

FAN OF NICKELBACK
Apr 9, 2002
i just want to be clear here that i'm having a bad night and called you retarded for making a pretty pointless reply, and in the vein of my barely aware wife's first foray into cognition before returning to a normal level of function

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

At least you know your wife isn't cheating on you

FAN OF NICKELBACK
Apr 9, 2002
i have no idea why you got so under my skin for a benign stupid post so sorry about your stupid post

(the post above the white noise post i mean)

wait editing again i'm clearly pointlessly aggressive and angry so i'm going to shore up an emotion or two

FAN OF NICKELBACK fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Jul 31, 2016

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

FAN OF NICKELBACK posted:

i have no idea why you got so under my skin for a benign stupid post so sorry about your stupid post

(the post above the white noise post i mean)
I'm so confused man we have quotes on this forum for a reason

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

this thread is so confusing. like i have no idea whats going on except that a woman in texas cant easily eat soup

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

like i thought this thread was about anorexic chicks but i clicked on it and well lets just say my night didnt go as planned

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

im making fun of you dude not your hosed up wife

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Sp1r0_Agn3W posted:

this thread is so confusing. like i have no idea whats going on except that a woman in texas cant easily eat soup

The main thing I've learned from it is that goons remain a reliable relatively untapped resource of thousands of free dollars as long as there's a feel-good story they can rally behind.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Murphy Brownback posted:

The main thing I've learned from it is that goons remain a reliable relatively untapped resource of thousands of free dollars as long as there's a feel-good story they can rally behind.

i figured doobie poisoned that well

FAN OF NICKELBACK
Apr 9, 2002
less than 5% of that money came from goons

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

less than 5% of that money came from goons

Fine, hundreds of free dollars then.

FAN OF NICKELBACK
Apr 9, 2002
it's like dozens of things that cost upwards of $100

new video game releases are like $70

ps thanks to people that helped. no joke, the number of doners and sharers meant way more than the number of dollars.

FAN OF NICKELBACK fucked around with this message at 07:44 on Jul 31, 2016

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Which video games do you like, OP? I figured we could lighten up the conversation :)

FAN OF NICKELBACK
Apr 9, 2002
everything is cool i'm just being a sensitive nancy because i'm having a bad night

Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
"You are standing in a thread. Someone has made an insightful post."
LOOK AT insightful post
"It's a pretty good post."
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post
"You shit on the post. Why."

Forgot the bitter alcoholics. Reading GBS, that's a thing with many here too.

OP, how much do you sleep on average? I know when I worked on bigger projects and sometimes ended up sleeping every second day, or 5 hours a day for on average, for a week or two that was fine but afterwards I started getting more and more all over the place. Then I get one or two good nights of sleep and notice how off the rails I was. Also irritability. How much do you sleep?

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
yeah get lots of sleep and drink lots of water op, also you should join a gym in phoenix if exercise helps you work off stress. look after yourself and then you can look after everyone around you better too. even if it seems impossible to make ~45 minutes for "me time" per day just try to take a break and go for a run or something. also i don't mean to be condescending and i know you've got everything under control so don't need internet people reminding you about basic things but, you've told the teachers at your daughter's soon-to-be school about the situation, right? just that she's going to be acting a little weird and they need to know why, and they might also be able to recommend fun social stuff for kindergarteners in the area so she gets an outlet too. kids are super-resilient and it sounds like she's already adapted to how things are now - the teachers will hopefully be experienced with children going through trauma (this particular situation is pretty unique but lots of kids go through other poo poo that involves loss and pain and uncertainty) and can help her through it at school, which will take some of the burden off you

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
I can't sleep very well because my fat wife keeps insisting on closing the door to our bedroom at night and she has really bad stomach problems and keeps passing a lot of gas until the room is just filled with this stink, like burning tires and it gets into the back of your throat and never leaves and I can barely even breathe and I panic

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax

Zzulu posted:

I can't sleep very well because my fat wife keeps insisting on closing the door to our bedroom at night and she has really bad stomach problems and keeps passing a lot of gas until the room is just filled with this stink, like burning tires and it gets into the back of your throat and never leaves and I can barely even breathe and I panic
if you end up with hypoxic brain injury from breathing in too many farts we now know exactly what to do

FAN OF NICKELBACK
Apr 9, 2002
it's not a sleep issue.

what i didn't know at the time is that one of the critical players in getting where we are now had literally zero faith my wife would come back, but wanted to keep her around because "what we got is what we got." it makes me unhinged and i keep starting bitter arguments about it. my wife isn't a collectors item, y'know? even though i probably would still put time into recovery knowing then what i know now, i feel pretty deceived and weirded out.

if a person literally was secure in their opinion that the vegetable state was as good as it got, why the gently caress fight to keep her around? why present a fight from a moral place while questioning other's ability to make decisions that truly place her first?

i just cannot get into that headspace without thinking pretty ugly things that keep falling loudly outta my mouth. i am proving to be pretty bad at being calm and civil around them and i can feel the memorable and permanent final nail moment brewing.

man oh man i have never held a person in a place of intrinsically negative value before.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Is he one of those "it's God's will" types? I think a lot of people deal with loss incredibly badly and use religion as an excuse not to have to make a tough decision like that and instead just say "well if God wanted her to die she would, I can't interfere with ~his plan~".

FAN OF NICKELBACK
Apr 9, 2002
i wouldn't even be angry if that were the case, just frustrated and maybe sad about it. inexplicably a self proclaimed near-non-believing-liberal

either there's self-deception about the feelings about her chances or some seriously dark dissociation around what it means to care about someone else's welare

grizzle
Jul 18, 2007

Winner Winner
Chicken Dinner
Hey Nickelback. I've been following this heartbreaking story from the start. I happen to be mom to a four year old girl. I can't imagine what you're going through. You obviously love your wife so much.

I just feel I have to say that one of the most paradoxically freeing things that happened to me when I became a mother is the knowledge that I myself mattered far less as ME, per se. I mattered from that point on as her mother. That's all that would ever matter again.

That's so egotistical in a way but it's biology. The next generation must thrive.

It sounds like your wife was the real deal as a momma. I'll bet she took pride in that.

I would be so pissed if my husband took one iota of our resources away from our baby. I would gladly, easily, quickly and with great love choose to slip away so that my baby would have even a little tiny bit more. Even a little more. She is all that matters, since the day her eyes opened.

The beauty of your wife, the real stuff, is right there in your daughter.

As a result of this thread, I have had a very frank discussion with my husband about my wishes should we ever find ourselves in a similar situation.

If I can't be there for our child in a real sense, in a mommy sense, to cut the crusts and pack the bags. To wipe the nose and braid the hair. Then he knows he has to do that. All of it. For her.

Thank you for sharing your story. I'm so sorry you're going through this.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

green chicken feet posted:

The person that he knew is almost certainly gone, but there is a greater than zero chance that OP's wife is going to regain some level of functionality. Unless he's been lying to us, she isn't a vegetable and she hasn't plateaued. She's young and she potentially has a chance of enjoying life again. Why so many people are shooting down his efforts, as if this were a Terri Schiavo case beyond all hope, I don't know.

My point is - if you're asking for $30,000, the least you can do is post a video.

The doctor who saw the video said op is nuts and delusional. I had an uncle who insisted that his 15-year old dog was JUST FINE, but no one had seen it in years. When we went over there, the thing was in a pile of poo poo and piss, unable to walk, and the uncle kept insisting "SEE, HE'S AS GOOD AS HE EVER WAS!".

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

EugeneJ posted:

My point is - if you're asking for $30,000, the least you can do is post a video.

The doctor who saw the video said op is nuts and delusional. I had an uncle who insisted that his 15-year old dog was JUST FINE, but no one had seen it in years. When we went over there, the thing was in a pile of poo poo and piss, unable to walk, and the uncle kept insisting "SEE, HE'S AS GOOD AS HE EVER WAS!".

What good would it do, especially in GBS? If he is telling the truth about the less than 5% thing coming from goons he doesn't owe us anything especially when it'll just lead to even more people saying to give her the old yeller treatment (whether they are right or not) and armchair doctors giving half-baked diagnoses. I mean think of it from her perspective - if you were inthat state, capable of not much more than grunting and making GBS threads yourself without going into spasms, would you want that shared with strangers? I don't think so. If a literal miracle happened and I was capable of understanding things again, I would feel incredibly betrayed if I found out the person in charge of my care did that.

FAN OF NICKELBACK
Apr 9, 2002

EugeneJ posted:

Are you talking about the nurse that laid out a clearly disclaimered personal opinion about a murky situation based off a handful of minutes of second-hand observation?

The least I can do is publicly and forcefully invade the privacy and dignity of another individual because I put up a donation link without their knowledge or consent?

My incapacitated wife and family situation is an equivalent to your uncle's dog? I'm like your uncle who claimed something that was objectively false and tried to convince others that nothing was wrong?

I dunno man I feel like this is sorta an off-kilter set of conversations you spilled all over the place.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

I dunno man I feel like this is sorta an off-kilter set of conversations you spilled all over the place.

There's still a possibility this is a scam.

green chicken feet
Nov 5, 2015

spray-paint the vegetables
dog food stalls
with the beefcake pantyhose
Grimey Drawer

EugeneJ posted:

There's still a possibility this is a scam.

Sure, but there are a lot of easier/safer ways to make money dishonestly than doing lots of brain damage research plus putting your own identity out there where thousands of people can see it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gingrich
May 26, 2007

i'm the osiris of this shit
this thread should probably be closed for the sake of the OP

• Locked thread