Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe
:siren: Playtesters Wanted! :siren:

https://mo_steel.itch.io/uphill-both-ways (Again, had to use bitly link because bbcode hates urls with underscores

If you find anything horribly broken, please let me know! The HTML5 version stutters a bit at times, so I'd advise downloading the Win32 version from the bottom of the page when possible.

Mo_Steel fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Jul 31, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
How to I indicate to the judges that they should under no circumstance actually try to run the code I'm submitting along with my entry? :v:

Because unless you're an experienced rails developer capable of setting up a pretty complicated environment, the chances of success seem... slight. And it's a hosted multiplayer game anyway.

If you really want to run it from source, let me know and I'll walk you through it - assuming you have a mac, there's only 16 relatively simple steps between you and a working product! (note: estimate does not include router and port forwarding configurations)

Final note, there's a websocket-based race condition I didn't have time to fix - if you get a game where the client is loaded twice, restart! It seems to happen when both players join a session at the exact same time (for obvious reasons), but it's really easy to fix and I do not have time to deal with a race condition in a multi-threaded websocket server...

Or I guess you could try to win two games simultaneously. If you're a masochist.

Anyway, play the game here:
I Need Help

WARNING: Apparently I need to say this, but if your backspace button is set to navigate back a window, do not press backspace!

Seriously!

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Jul 31, 2016

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

:supaburn: Everybody panic! :supaburn:

Edit: Bummed I've been so busy lately (health stuff mainly :( ), but can't wait to try these out!

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.

GlyphGryph posted:

I Need Help

I played for a bit, then my Grandson said something about pokemon??? I was so confused and accidentally backed out of the window!

This is an incredibly immersive experience, 10/10.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
I'm glad we finished dev on the core game last Sunday 'cause it's been bugfixes ever since :supaburn: Chris Chin did the battle engine and I did everything else so when a bug has happened in battle he's fixed it and when a bug has happened anywhere else I've fixed it. Which means I've been fixing a lot of bugs! Hm, maybe I should have made documentation? Unit tests? Psh, who needs those?

Still, even if we were to submit now we'd have a very strong entry. Planning to submit early evening tomorrow just to make sure we kill all those bugs dead.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
I'm really happy how things are turning out in our game, considering how things went this time.

Weird BIAS
Jul 5, 2007

so... guess that's it, huh? just... don't say i didn't warn you.

Ultigonio posted:

I played for a bit, then my Grandson said something about pokemon??? I was so confused and accidentally backed out of the window!

This is an incredibly immersive experience, 10/10.

I think it's multiplayer and that was probably me because I sure said something about pokemon.

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.

Weird BIAS posted:

I think it's multiplayer and that was probably me because I sure said something about pokemon.

Yeah, I'm quite certain that it's multiplayer, also I'm very sorry to whoever just watched me die a slow death as I idled because I wasn't watching the game.

KRILLIN IN THE NAME
Mar 25, 2006

:ssj:goku i won't do what u tell me:ssj:

Last minute rush to add in SFX and uhhhhhh make a game I guess, I hope video embedding a tweet works

https://twitter.com/bonerman_inc/status/759610938764906496

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Everyone elses games look way nicer than mine. Maybe I should have aimed higher as a concept. At least I motivated myself to finish something for once. Heres what I'm submitting, barring any last second bugs/obvious omissions, if anyone wants to try it and make fun of my bad decisions.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/57368604/RetirementManager.exe

A note since this got brought up by a couple of my RL friends while playtesting it: Enemy pathing does get a bit clusterfucky at times. This is supposed to happen and is intended as part of my hyper-accurate simulation of being old and confused. Theyll always loop around back to one of the 4 lanes so you can hit them. There's also no sound.

That reminds me, I cant recall if the games were supposed to be in fullscreen or windowed and theres nothing in the rules about it. Does it matter?

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

GlyphGryph posted:

I played as a Grandpa without having a clue as to what was going on, then I read your post and played again as a Grandson.

Bravo, good sir. Bravo.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Fun Shoe

KRILLIN IN THE NAME posted:

Last minute rush to add in SFX and uhhhhhh make a game I guess, I hope video embedding a tweet works

https://twitter.com/bonerman_inc/status/759610938764906496

I don't know what's happening, but it's beautiful. :allears:

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
11 minutes, 57.78 seconds for game 23?

Celebratory kazoo!

We have our first winners in I Need Help, congrats!

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.

GlyphGryph posted:

Celebratory kazoo.

We have our first winners, congrats to those in game 23!

I felt like a champion, grandson and I pulled through with me at 93% anger. For the longest time my screen was black and then somehow it flipped to NO SIGNAL which is what the grandson was asking about, so I began spamming "NO SIGNAL NO SIGNAL" into the chat and then he's like "TOP RIGHT BUTTON" and it worked and it was just great

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Ultigonio posted:

I felt like a champion, grandson and I pulled through with me at 93% anger. For the longest time my screen was black and then somehow it flipped to NO SIGNAL which is what the grandson was asking about, so I began spamming "NO SIGNAL NO SIGNAL" into the chat and then he's like "TOP RIGHT BUTTON" and it worked and it was just great

I've got just like the hugest grin in real life right now just knowing people are playing the game and actually figuring it out and maybe even having fun with it, it's so cool, god drat.

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting
I'm a terrible grandparent who kept going on tangents and kept plugging in weird things in weird places :( Sorry grandson.

Very accurate game!

Explosive Tampons
Jul 9, 2014

Your days are gone!!!
I was going to give up but then I got a motivation boost for some reason. 1 day 1 hour left, I think I can do it, right? Right, guys...?

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

I haven't submitted yet, but I'm pretty much ready to. Give my game a try!

Click to play. P to pause / go back

http://i.imgur.com/iLfLghE.mp4

It's in java you lucky boys and girls.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/wbm9pef690qeoml/Grandpa%27s%20Medicine.jar?dl=0

I'm going to get an android release out too.

PokeJoe fucked around with this message at 10:33 on Jul 31, 2016

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Watch Out For Snakes has finished Ennui! We ran out of space on the cart, and had to pair back a bit, but we're happy with it for our first game ever

itch.io

Pico-8

(Also, we're having trouble posting it to itch, if anyone knows how to make the .html files work there that'd be great!)

e: nvm, solved it

Megabound fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Jul 31, 2016

Giggs
Jan 4, 2013

mama huhu
Oh jeez. I have to draw an outro cutscene, hopefully make some music to fit it, and design the last dozen stages for my final level today.

At least I have plenty of stuff to talk about in my post-mortem :v:
I'm even considering scanning/transcribing all the pages of my notebook I used to plan out this jam. Currently that's at like 10 pages.

Giggs fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Jul 31, 2016

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

Gunzil posted:

Done and dusted. Check out our latest bird-related game. Yosemite Birding: It's a Snap!

Itch.io Page

Best of luck to everybody else still crunching it out!

Lmao what the gently caress

I was like "Oh man, I hope that other poster making a birdwatching game isn't mad" and then I looked and you are that poster
The transition to this from your hilarious placeholder art is astounding

Gunzil
Jan 1, 2010

ALFbrot posted:

Lmao what the gently caress

I was like "Oh man, I hope that other poster making a birdwatching game isn't mad" and then I looked and you are that poster
The transition to this from your hilarious placeholder art is astounding

Aw, thanks for the kind words! I have a habit of dropping off on posting devlog gifs once I hit the halfway point so it kinda goes from 0 to 100. Our artists put out some steller artwork this time around!

ClownSyndrome
Sep 2, 2011

Do you think love can bloom on bob-omb Battlefield?
Old Man's Drive is done!

https://monsterjail.itch.io/old-mans-drive

just trying to err, figure out how to add it to the jam page, tried to register but the confirm registration email I got looks like it's a bit broken, have to rush out for a bit but will be back later to figure it out (unless I missed something about registration on a previous page)

Thanks to Polo-Rican for helping with some fitting music!

edit: updated with some minor music tweaks and submitted to jam page, manually copied the link in the 'confirm address' email and got it to work, submitting it now

ClownSyndrome fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Jul 31, 2016

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Yeah, I think it's time to submit: Did I Ever Tell You..? It's got everything a grandpa could want!

Fishing

Driving

(Got my computer down to 6 FPS by the end of that run.)

B-Ball

And, if anyone out there is competitive, here are my high scores from a solid morning of testing.

I'm satisfied. Thanks for jammin', folks. Judges, good luck.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Fun Shoe
Alright, calling it done!

UPHILL BOTH WAYS

Had a lot of fun learning the UE4 Blueprint system for the first time and playing with the mechanics; this game is way beyond anything I've made for this jam before in terms of scope / scale / detail. Huge thank you to anyone who offered feedback, suggestions, or playtested the game.

I'll be announcing my picks for the prizes I offered earlier in thread after the Gong Show.

WrathOfBlade
May 30, 2011

THAT POKEYMAN THING YOUR GRANDKIDS ARE INTO has been submitted!

Yesss I finished it somehow! It's not quite what I wanted it to be, and god only knows how many bugs got past the ~0.5 days I dedicated to testing, but it's kind of a minor miracle that I was able to accomplish as much as I did given all the setbacks.

Huge thanks to Weird BIAS for coming through with a super catchy soundtrack in the 11.5th hour. Also to Afal for helping out with some testing, etc.

WrathOfBlade fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Jul 31, 2016

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
It's the last day already...

Still have work to do. v:v:v

Been pretty much doing 50/50 bugtesting and bugfixing/adding features, so at least I'm fairly confident it'll mostly work sometimes.

Macichne Leainig fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Jul 31, 2016

Afal
Sep 4, 2012

"Tubular! Catch you on the flip side!"
Not having a great time with Uphill Both Ways. I can't seem to make the first significant jump in the game, and I'm pretty sure it's due to the fact that it's not jumping high enough. I either miss the floating platform because I can't seem to jump high enough to get on it or I fall into the pit below and can't get out because the platforms are too high for me to get out. The web build (despite being the version of the build that's discouraged) is somehow better since I get a little further but I still manage to get stuck in a part where I can't jump very high (it's the area where you first see the coin and you're trying to get up on the right side of the pit). Unfortunate, because I was really looking forward to playing this one.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Fun Shoe

Afal posted:

Not having a great time with Uphill Both Ways. I can't seem to make the first significant jump in the game, and I'm pretty sure it's due to the fact that it's not jumping high enough. I either miss the floating platform because I can't seem to jump high enough to get on it or I fall into the pit below and can't get out because the platforms are too high for me to get out. The web build (despite being the version of the build that's discouraged) is somehow better since I get a little further but I still manage to get stuck in a part where I can't jump very high (it's the area where you first see the coin and you're trying to get up on the right side of the pit). Unfortunate, because I was really looking forward to playing this one.

Like Mario / Sonic, jumping has variable height: push and hold jumps higher than just tapping. All jumps should definitely be reachable.

e: This spot?

Mo_Steel fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Jul 31, 2016

Explosive Tampons
Jul 9, 2014

Your days are gone!!!
Mo_Steel aside from that spot I had a good time playing it, shame that it is short. It is a good game.

Buffis
Apr 29, 2006

I paid for this
Fallen Rib
Quick reviews for the random stuff I tried tonight

Yosemite Birding is insanely polished and a great game. Played through the whole thing and learned things about birds. Nice puns, and great characters. Will probably win a bunch of prizes!

Old Mans Drive was nicely produced and fun for a bit (played three holes). Nice variety and tight controls. Not super grandpa-themed maybe but dunno?

Did I Ever tell you was a ncie narrative experience. I enjoyed throwing the crowd during B-Ball.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
We did it. Game is uploaded. I'm going to sleep for a week now.

Harold Krell
Sep 10, 2011

I truly believe that anyone and everyone is capable of making their dreams come true.

:unsmigghh:
Here's my game:

I'll probably add more details to my page later, but you use the arrow keys to move, and you should be able to figure out the rest from there.

EntranceJew
Nov 5, 2009

TomR posted:

We did it. Game is uploaded. I'm going to sleep for a week now.

YWDH

Despite everything, we did it.

Explosive Tampons
Jul 9, 2014

Your days are gone!!!
9 hours left. If I manage to finish this I'll probably be ready for one of those crazy 1-day jams.
probably not.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Made a few last minute changes and submitted. It's always a nice feeling to complete a project.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

It's done! Try it here!

I'm so glad I could submit a game that isn't a broken pile of poo poo (finally!). There's a few things that are a little janky but nothing 100% game breaking. TBH I want to go lie down and not use my wrists or brain or eyes again for a long time. I wanna see everyone's games when I wake up in 1,000 years though! :v:

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

hey i am some guy and i reviewed some of these games

Cloud Yeller; Get Off My Lawn!

These were very polished, funny and silly games. They both had very simple mechanics, but I say this as someone who made the hall of shame several times. Cloud Yeller's bosses for levels 2 and 3 had me laughing out loud; I just hope that the subtext for level 3 isn't that grandma's death is because of grandpa's cloud rage :ohdear:

I Need Help

Nobody else was online :shobon:

Yellowstone Birding

I liked this a lot. Very polished, and it felt like you had some more time to experiment and play with ideas compared to Clouds/Lawn mentioned above. also i recently got into photography/birding because i am becoming an old man :corsair:

YWDH

I did not really understand this game. I couldn't figure out whether it was supposed to be funny, creepy, some kind of psychological introspection maybe? The different Lego/Playmobil outfits on the people were cute :)

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.

Lutha Mahtin posted:

I Need Help

Nobody else was online :shobon:
Play with me!

I also didn't get YWDH. I did the game things, but it basically felt like I was walking aimlessly. I couldn't shake the feeling that I was missing some sort of trick to playing the game the way it wanted to be played.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Afal
Sep 4, 2012

"Tubular! Catch you on the flip side!"

Mo_Steel posted:

Like Mario / Sonic, jumping has variable height: push and hold jumps higher than just tapping. All jumps should definitely be reachable.

e: This spot?

yeah that's the spot. also I was holding down the jump button so idk what's wrong

---

Anyway, thoughts on games:

Battle of Wits - (in perfect dj khaled voice) I like that. Nice little puzzles. I liked that there was some "grandad intuition" there since I couldn't have figured out one of the crossword clues. Also I guess my time wasted with Pokemon pictocross has served me well with the majority of the puzzles there. Nice work

Lou-ny Balloon-y Goes Floatin' 'Round Town - Got passed the first level. Couldn't get through the level after. Other than that my god the animations were incredible. That falling animation, Adorable. That boss enemy (I only managed to get to the first boss fight), cute! Wait a sec, this is a Harold Krell game. Dangit I'm going to have to play more to get to the classic "Harold Krell Twist" this game has don't I?

YWDH - 7z. loving 7z? This is my fault isn't it?

This game has some neat (what I imagine is) procedural map generation, in what seems like a neverending maze of rooms filled with tables chairs people and (as time goes on) other.. things...

I liked part of the horror angle with this game. The opening doors. The spooky apparitions. The Blood. I don't usually like horror or horror games but I like this. Great game. Spooked my guts off.

Cloud Yeller - Nice Juicy Clouds. Lovely Juicy Clouds. Shouting At Clouds. RARRRR.

As with most rhythm games, the biggest issue with this is because you're concentrating on hitting the "shouting zone" you miss out on a lot of the visuals in the background. Saying that, when the visuals needed to be seen, the game did change accordingly so you didn't get to "miss" any of the story. Some nice music, especially liked the major/minor keychanges in between phases of the game (I know nothing about music what the heck am I talking about)

• Locked thread