Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Calipark
Feb 1, 2008

That's cool.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xKJLrmetLOI
It's the ~chance of a life time~

Big Awful Jam 2016

July 1st - August 1st

RULES: http://www.awfuljams.com/big-awful-2016/rules

Our annual month long game jam formerly known as "The Something Awful Game Dev Challenge" is here.

• Build a team of no more than 3 people
  • Make a game in 1 month around the announced theme starting July 1st
  • Submit your game to the Awful Jams Website BEFORE August 1st
  • Win wonderful prizes if your game is rad enough
  • Go hog wild

The normal huge information post has been moved over to our web zone.

We have a big prize pack provided by Epic games for the Best UE4 Game category, perfect time to give UE4 a good hard look.

POSSIBLE THEMES:
  • Our Lizard Brain Goes Into Overdrive
  • Games for Grandma
  • Terrible Tie-Ins

Vote: http://goo.gl/forms/2a24YuPWKzG05A2x2

Calipark fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Jul 1, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Calipark
Feb 1, 2008

That's cool.
reserved

SharpenedSpoonv2
Aug 28, 2008
It's my favorite time of the year!

We did some revisions on the website this year, especially adding team members to your team within the site itself.

As the site has grown, I am realizing the flow is a little rough. If you need any help with the site, or have any issues to report, please head on over to the #support channel in Slack and let me know!

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

Only the biggest bowls of spaghetti allowed.

Giggs
Jan 4, 2013

mama huhu
Been looking forward to this for the last few weeks. Pretty excited! :woop:

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

"I'm sick and tired of reading these posts!"
I forget, did I miss the theme announcement or is that revealed when the jam starts?

Calipark
Feb 1, 2008

That's cool.

RoboCicero posted:

I forget, did I miss the theme announcement or is that revealed when the jam starts?

We'll show the 3 possible themes on Wednesday and announce the final theme on July 1st to kick off the jam.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe
I was actually just thinking about the SAGDC for the year a few days ago, talk about good timing. I've been on the Wall of Shame a few times, but I've also made a few of what could passably be called games, so I'm in again this year.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

This time. This time will be the time I spend more than 5 days on a game.
I don't know if I can top Super Turbo Voynich Manuscript though.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

I like the rule changes. It seems like it will help it keep more in the spirit of a game jam.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
I intend to make a video game for this jam. Can't wait for them themes.

Tann
Apr 1, 2009

Themes tomorrow! I'm gonna compete and game the system now I know how the secret judge cabal functions.

Diametunim
Oct 26, 2010
Hopefully this years theme allows me to submit another terrible flappy bird clone!

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

I can't promise I'm going to play every single one of your guys' video games again... but I'm not promising I'm not going to play every single one of your guys' video games again.

Doom Goon fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Jun 14, 2016

Amorphous Abode
Apr 2, 2010

We may have finally found unobtainium but I will never find eywa.

woops ignore.

Edit-As long as I'm here though, entries by total game making novices are welcome, right?

Amorphous Abode fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Jun 14, 2016

Calipark
Feb 1, 2008

That's cool.

The Silver Snail posted:

woops ignore.

Edit-As long as I'm here though, entries by total game making novices are welcome, right?

Not only welcome, but encouraged.

sighnoceros
Mar 11, 2007
:qq: GOONS ARE MEAN :qq:

The Silver Snail posted:

woops ignore.

First game I ever actually finished was for an SAGDC, and it was total poo poo. But then I won the following year, and got community choice last year. So yeah, if you're interested in trying to make a game, this is a perfect event to motivate you to do so.

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.
Great! I'll be lending audio support to a few teams this jam, yet again. I've had a blast working with some of the cool folks that've made games for these jams.

Explosive Tampons
Jul 9, 2014

Your days are gone!!!
It is that time of the year again. :D

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

I've never made a game before and am generally a big dumb idiot. Do we have any resources (threads, websites, YouTube mlg montages) for first timers?

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
This is Games for Grandma's year I can taste it

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Great Beer posted:

I've never made a game before and am generally a big dumb idiot. Do we have any resources (threads, websites, YouTube mlg montages) for first timers?

Tom Francis did a video series on making your first game with no experience.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DN6dZWXUEzA

I followed the first few lessons and it was quite good. I've never made a game either, however, and want to use this as an opportunity to learn.

Instead of game maker I'll be using Pico-8 (not free), where there is some good tutorials on as well in the form of a free fanzine.

Calipark
Feb 1, 2008

That's cool.

Great Beer posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z06QR-tz1_o

Generally speaking: Pick a classic arcade game to clone and put your own spin on, then pick an engine (something with a lot of learning resources like Unity), follow the getting started guides and use Google to it's fullest potential.

We have a slack where you can ask questions when Google can't help you, link in the OP.

Calipark fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Jun 14, 2016

Diametunim
Oct 26, 2010

Great Beer posted:

Tons! If you're looking for 3D type stuff I would check out the Unity engine as there's a plethora of beginner tutorials all over the internet. As for 2D I would recommend Game Maker Studio. People often complain it's pretty restricting but as a beginner you shouldn't have any issues at all. Like Unity there's also a plethora of tutorials for just about anything you could ever want to do in Game Maker.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

A prize for best UE4 game? Awesome, I look forward to automatically winning it.

TEAM PUNCH FIGHT is back and needs sound and 3D art.

Musical_Daredevil
Dec 23, 2008

Need some backup NOW!
After a hiatus last summer to work on a different video game-related thing, I'm definitely ready to return for another round of designing a level, doing nothing for 2 weeks, then hurriedly slapping some gameplay together via the GUI.

Calipark
Feb 1, 2008

That's cool.

blastron posted:

A prize for best UE4 game? Awesome, I look forward to automatically winning it.

TEAM PUNCH FIGHT is back and needs sound and 3D art.

Yeah I should probably mention in the OP that there is no Unity prize this year. Only UE4, take from that what you will.

But yeah maybe give UE4 a shot, eh?

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
I'm starting a new job next week, moving pretty soon, and being treated for some medical stuff. July is going to be busy I imagine and participating in a game jam is probably not the best idea.

I must, of course, do it anyway. Team Not Actually a Team is going to maekd gaem.

Explosive Tampons
Jul 9, 2014

Your days are gone!!!
Hey, is it possible to change usernames in the awfuljams site? I changed mine here and I want to change there too just so I don't lose my legacy (in the wall of shame).

Jo
Jan 24, 2005

:allears:
Soiled Meat
Hells yes. TEAM ADORABLE ANIMALS will be all over this.

Explosive Tampons posted:

Hey, is it possible to change usernames in the awfuljams site? I changed mine here and I want to change there too just so I don't lose my legacy (in the wall of shame).

Also could someone change my name on the jam site from Jooo to Jo? There was a character minimum.

Hidden Asbestos
Nov 24, 2003
[placeholder]
Yessss, you rescinded the open source rule!

I can use my own engine framework as a base for game specific code+assets developed during the competition window.

This is a good thing.

HighwireAct
May 16, 2016

Pozzo's Hat
Never finished a game before, but this sounds like a blast! I'm definitely in.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

This sounds fun. Is there a deadline for signing up to the jam (e.g. before it officially starts) or can we do that whenever we want?

Hidden Asbestos
Nov 24, 2003
[placeholder]
Do teams carry over from previous years or do you have to form a new one for Big Awful?

voodoo dog
Jun 6, 2001

Gun Saliva
This sounds really fun... I'll have to see if I can find the time though. If so, I will probably make a crappy game with programmer art by myself.

Holo
May 9, 2013
In for this - hoping the theme isn't US specific this time, as that put me off the last one.

Holo fucked around with this message at 11:51 on Jun 15, 2016

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Jim's now a Blind Cave Salamander!

Flatbox Studios will likely return with something magical. We're working on our first real attempt at a commercial title, but we wouldn't be where we are without SAGD.

Jo
Jan 24, 2005

:allears:
Soiled Meat

SUNKOS posted:

This sounds fun. Is there a deadline for signing up to the jam (e.g. before it officially starts) or can we do that whenever we want?

Historically, you can sign up any time before close. Once you've signed up, though, you are obligated to submit a game* or you'll end up on the wall of shame.

*a real game, not just a ten minute Flappy Bird or Bejeweled clone.

Calipark
Feb 1, 2008

That's cool.

SUNKOS posted:

Anytime between July 1st and August 1st.

Hidden Asbestos posted:

Do teams carry over from previous years or do you have to form a new one for Big Awful?

New teams for each jam. We're working toward a reusable team model, maybe next year.

Also it's Wednesday so we're announcing theme possibilities and opening up voting. Note that voting isn't absolute, it just gives us an idea what everyone likes most, feel free to discuss the themes in the thread as well and argue for your favorite.

• Our Lizard Brain Goes Into Overdrive
  • Games for Grandma
  • Terrible Tie-Ins

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1sw937tBzXP4ohPPlHeAe6s_DMTK-uRGZKjLahPFTd4s/viewform

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I really hope it's games for grandma.

• Locked thread