Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

Feenix posted:

Yeah I mean I hope it fixes itself but I don't know what else to
Do except wait and hope it gets fixed. I had poo poo I paid actual money for tho so I will probably have to contact them at some point...

This happened to me because I was logged into a gmail account on my browser that was different from my other gmail account which I used for the game. It was just defaulting to that first account that didn't have the game associated with it at all. When it opens the window that asks your permission to let Google do some poo poo you can change it to the proper one. Dunno if that's actually your issue, but I was confused for a little bit by it too after the update and that was my situation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
drat, looks like the update ate my 2k egg. I tapped a Pokestop and got an unexpected egg. No egg animation and nothing in my recent list.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Gumdrop Larry posted:

This happened to me because I was logged into a gmail account on my browser that was different from my other gmail account which I used for the game. It was just defaulting to that first account that didn't have the game associated with it at all. When it opens the window that asks your permission to let Google do some poo poo you can change it to the proper one. Dunno if that's actually your issue, but I was confused for a little bit by it too after the update and that was my situation.

No. I wasn't logged into another account on Gmail or Google in my browser. I started up and it had a google page asking me which of my 2 accounts to sign in with. I chose the one that IS my PokeGo account and it started the game with Professor Fruitbat trying to talk to and tell me to catch my first Pokemon. Apparently some people on TA (at least one other, so far) has had the same happen.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.
The nearby "fix" is loving stupid. 6 Charmanders "near" me. Never found them.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
it's not a fix, it's just making it less confusing until a fix comes (if it ever does)

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"

flatluigi posted:

it's not a fix, it's just making it less confusing until a fix comes (if it ever does)

Haw to destroy a potentially infinite revenue stream: By Niantic.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
It's legitimately impressive how they're squandering potentially billions of dollars almost entirely due to aggressively awful communication

Stevefin
Sep 30, 2013

My Galaxy S4 4g model updated pokemon today. I have been at GPS signal not found since than, send help

EDIT: turned out it was as simple as turning my GPS on and off again, not as simple as turning the phone on or off though

Stevefin fucked around with this message at 09:31 on Jul 31, 2016

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Stevefin posted:

My Galaxy S4 4g model updated pokemon today. I have been at GPS signal not found since than, send help

My account's gone but I also have that btw...

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

Man, it really isn't much of a game the more you play it, huh. :(

The main appeal to me right now is catching new pokemon. Gyms change hands here like every few minutes and are therefore best for just getting experience. Personally I don't even bother with them, so that's a huge portion of the game gone. Leveling up is its own issue - obviously I want bigger numbers but with those bigger numbers comes a harder time catching even simple pokemon, which is frustrating. But since I want those big numbers I'm saving up cool new evolves I could be doing for a lucky egg. Which feels like its own anti-fun in a way.

Definitely can't wait to see this expanded to future generations. I'd also like it if pokestops could drop lures/incense/incubators at a super low rate (maybe have an account limit of one per day if they're that worried). And for fun it'd be cool to have shinies. And if pokestops could drop like, new avatar clothes or some poo poo because I'm a sucker for stupid poo poo like that.

I mean, there's other poo poo like making pokemon spawns more even so people in more rural areas could enjoy it too. And make battling fun or worth it. And make pokemon trackable. And...

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

I hatched a near-perfect Pikachu. He's gonna be my buddy.

It's basically all I've got going left in this game without proper hunting.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
I wish you could send your owned pokemon out into the AR world. Or hell, then being able to interact with them like Pokemon-Amie would be fantastic and would probably go over super well with both the casual fans and the pokemaniacs.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

Pakled posted:

I wish you could send your owned pokemon out into the AR world. Or hell, then being able to interact with them like Pokemon-Amie would be fantastic and would probably go over super well with both the casual fans and the pokemaniacs.

That would probably restore this money printer to a better state tbh

DemeaninDemon posted:

Just like slowpoke?

I got a lickitung from an egg. :3:

Just like Slowpoke.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

GeneX posted:

It's legitimately impressive how they're squandering potentially billions of dollars almost entirely due to aggressively awful communication

Maybe they're an offshoot company of Valve.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

has anything been written about this situation in casual financial publications? i can feel millions of dollars boiling off the surface of a dumb, dumb object

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

Bill Barber posted:

muh milliseconds!

Do you work for Niantic or something? If so, maybe you should spend less time shitposting and more time fixing your busted loving game.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Well, they've totally broken the entire reason I was still playing this game, made it clear they'll never fix gigantic bugs, and made changes that seem entirely at odds with what anyone actually wants from the game, but at least I can see my total XP in the profile screen and some of the medals have pretty pictures

Oil!
Nov 5, 2008

Der's e'rl in dem der hills!

Ham Wrangler
Game dead, RIP: 7/6/2016-7/31/2016.

We hardly knew thee.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
I'm honestly shocked the games popularity lasted past that first weekend. It was always going to drop off to a group of die hards before too long. It's just amazing how much that could have been done, wasn't.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

The key to this is that they seems to be a small company with a low headcount. They probably have a bad CEO too. The google app misconfiguration error shows that they are not very skilled. What they can do to control a game with so many players seems very limited. They may have huge money problems.... Like... Imagine if they have to pay a google api 50 millions bill day 15, and receive 80 millions from google play shop the day 30 or something like that.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Nevermind that Pokemon GO, here comes poo poo!

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

There's like no player drop off here in NOLA. The popular spots have more people than ever, and half of downtown is constantly lured still. I was watching groups of people playing it at work earlier. But here in the city people can just hangout at certain spots and loads of pokemon will pop up. I couldn't imagine playing this in a town of like 50k people with pokevision.com down.

Invenerable
Aug 7, 2005

YOU CAN BE A BIG PIG, TOO!

I logged over 250km and made it halfway through level 26, but the new update made me delete the app after just an hour of playing it. At least I've turned going outside and moving around a bunch into a habit?

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

I never played a pokemon game, and now I feel compelled to buy a DS and pick the best one recomende by the experts. I probably should have been down that route with the Twitch play pokemon thing, that I absolutelly loved. I guest i can play on the DS a real pokemon game while I walk.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Most of my pokemon actually come from lured pokestops or just whatever pops up on my way to work. Only went hunting for a specific pokemon once and then I just used pokevision. The later no longer working is a bummer but I don't think any of this will affect how most casual people play the game.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Elephanthead posted:

Buy a locator that works 3 times to find specific pokemon$.

Hey, if it found specific Pokemon, I would buy them in an instant. Grimers are super rare here.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love
Well I found a park across town with a bunch of Eevees. 2 Volteons and 1 Flareon named Rainer.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Zotix posted:

There's like no player drop off here in NOLA. The popular spots have more people than ever, and half of downtown is constantly lured still. I was watching groups of people playing it at work earlier. But here in the city people can just hangout at certain spots and loads of pokemon will pop up. I couldn't imagine playing this in a town of like 50k people with pokevision.com down.

I don't think it'll be up for the next couple of days.
https://twitter.com/PokeVisionGo/status/759666743115513856

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Yeah that's fine. Game was fun for a bit, but it really is becoming quite annoying to play. With pokevision.com you could see how hosed the spawns really were. I really don't feel like walking randomly to just find rattatas.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

Mierenneuker posted:

I don't think it'll be up for the next couple of days.
https://twitter.com/PokeVisionGo/status/759666743115513856

that reads a lot like "we've been threatened with a lawsuit and don't want to fight it"

I guess I'm gonna wait for pokemongodev to update all their stuff to compensate for the weird messing with the scanning radius

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

With how they are going they might just start banning people for that though? Pokevision had the advantage that it was just a web page so no way to track that you are using it.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

GeneX posted:

that reads a lot like "we've been threatened with a lawsuit and don't want to fight it"

I guess I'm gonna wait for pokemongodev to update all their stuff to compensate for the weird messing with the scanning radius

Nah, it's more that now the Pokemon Go servers don't show you any Pokemon unless you wait 5 seconds between requests.

Considering most Pokemaps used multiple requests in quick succession to cover a larger area, and that most maps only use one or at most a few different accounts while scanning, it's more a practical issue than a legal issue.

Lyndon LaRouche
Sep 5, 2006

by Azathoth
I guess until Pokemon tracking is reenabled in some fashion (be it official or otherwise) this is only going to be one of those mobile games I pop open when I'm out and about somewhere and have some time to kill. Just not worth it to waste time fruitlessly tracking down more Pidgeys just to put them in a meat grinder. Fortunately, there are actual decent Pokemon games out there for the 3DS that I can play right this second.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

widespread posted:

This was from a 5km egg. I was grinning like an idiot when it popped out.

Are they rare where you are or something? We're tripping over them in Manchester. I'd be really annoyed if I got one of those, like when I got a Drowzee out of a 5k egg.

It does feel more frustrating when eggs are now the only way I can expect to get any new pokemon.

Grumbletron 4000
Nov 30, 2002

Where you want it, bitch.
College Slice
Jesus Christ. Why on earth would anyone dismiss this game as poo poo just because this update didn't make it the best thing? It's not even a month old. It's a runaway success and way more popular than the designers had imagined but, ME AM TOP GOON. GAME NOT PERFECT. (Smashes uninstall button with clenched fist, phone explodes, dusts off hands).

I'm still enjoying it. I imagine it'll be a little bit like WOW after a couple of years. It's a very buggy and challenging slog right now but it'll be streamlined and dumbed down until it doesn't require any effort at all. Then all the people that got in on it at the beginning will pine for the days when it was an upside down shitshow because the newbs won't have to climb over a barbed wire fence onto a military base, dodge machine gun fire and deal with a half a day of servers down fuckery to get a half dead snorlax with anal herpes and a sideways eye.

Relax folks. Have fun interacting with the tween girls, fedora queers and 8 year old kids camped out on the church steps with their half dead from lack of sleep father who's camping the town gym at 2am with young Caleb who should have been in bed 4 loving hours ago.

x239marine
Jun 20, 2009

'Thank you, I'm here till Duke's Day!

Grumbletron 4000 posted:

Jesus Christ. Why on earth would anyone dismiss this game as poo poo just because this update didn't make it the best thing? It's not even a month old. It's a runaway success and way more popular than the designers had imagined but, ME AM TOP GOON. GAME NOT PERFECT. (Smashes uninstall button with clenched fist, phone explodes, dusts off hands).

I'm still enjoying it. I imagine it'll be a little bit like WOW after a couple of years. It's a very buggy and challenging slog right now but it'll be streamlined and dumbed down until it doesn't require any effort at all. Then all the people that got in on it at the beginning will pine for the days when it was an upside down shitshow because the newbs won't have to climb over a barbed wire fence onto a military base, dodge machine gun fire and deal with a half a day of servers down fuckery to get a half dead snorlax with anal herpes and a sideways eye.

Relax folks. Have fun interacting with the tween girls, fedora queers and 8 year old kids camped out on the church steps with their half dead from lack of sleep father who's camping the town gym at 2am with young Caleb who should have been in bed 4 loving hours ago.

Nice meltdown

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

Taear posted:

Are they rare where you are or something? We're tripping over them in Manchester. I'd be really annoyed if I got one of those, like when I got a Drowzee out of a 5k egg.

It does feel more frustrating when eggs are now the only way I can expect to get any new pokemon.

For some reason living close to a beach gets me Sandshrews, maybe Krabbys too.

Which is odd, because you'd expect a place like SoCal to have Drowzees and Slowpokes BUT NO IT'S SANDSHREWS AND PARAS AND EKANS.

Also had two Pikachus close by this one PokeStop I always hit at work.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
Someone named SilentUK posted this on Reddit:

quote:

Also there is huge cultural differences in how people play. Whilst I've seen lots of videos of people in north America talking to strangers and sharing pokemon stories, this would never happen in the UK. I ventured into town today and found a triple lure spot. There was about 25 people hanging around and no one was talking to anyone. Everyone was playing alone minding their own business. Personally, I can't think of anything worse than having to ask a stranger where a rare Pokemon is or might be. I'd rather struggle alone and not find it at all.

This is how I feel too. I don't know if Niantic expects everyone to be acting like an American crowd but at least with Pokevision if a rare thing appeared a few people would be around trying to find it and might have a look at one another, say a word or something. Now it's back to nothing.

Roar
Jul 7, 2007

I got 30 points!

I GOT 30 POINTS!

x239marine posted:

Nice meltdown

It doesn't make him not right, though.

People could try calming the gently caress down for a little bit and seeing how things turn out before getting upset on a message board that niantic obviously doesn't read. Go send some emails or tweet them, it would be far more productive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

I'm in Britain and I've been to plenty of pokestops and lures and spawns and chatted to loads of people. I know we're a famously reserved bunch but come on! Give it a go.

• Locked thread