Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

Theresa May gliding is hilarious

e for new page:

Cloud Potato posted:

Guardian Australian Sport:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

J_RBG posted:

Theresa May gliding is hilarious

e for new page:
The Grauniad sports cartoonist is so good

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
The man in panel four is prime avatar material.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade
I keep looking, but I can't find the Korner Kelly in that panel.

nobodyssweetheart
Sep 26, 2015

I'm so proud my brother
is death ray panda

frankenfreak posted:

I keep looking, but I can't find the Korner Kelly in that panel.

[Glowering man at drawing board]: "Wank-achu"

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Angepain posted:

Jeremy has transplanted... his leadership... by his hands... being in the wrong direction... which is a metaphor for... hands being wrong... meaning.... Corbyn... bad?

corbyn funny face silly hat hands on backwards ha ha bad

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Observer:

"Donald Trump's acceptance speech - Chris Riddell on the republican nominee’s performance in Cleveland"

Sunday Telegraph:

Sunday Times:

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Guardian:

"Martin Rowson on the Labour leadership contest – One of the ironies of the Labour leadership contest is that no one looks happier than Mr Corbyn – indeed, he has looked more invigorated than at any time since he became leader"

Telegraph:

John McDonnell: Corbyn's critics willing to 'destroy' Labour

Independent:

Munich shooting: Gunman acted alone, say police

P&O Ferries says Dover delays 'must never happen again'

Times:

Sir Philip Green left BHS on 'life support', MPs find

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

no

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Maybe it's a reference to McDonalds killing a lot of people in general.

nobodyssweetheart
Sep 26, 2015

I'm so proud my brother
is death ray panda

Guavanaut posted:

Maybe it's a reference to McDonalds killing a lot of people in general.
The linked article states that the Munich shooting started in a "fast food restaurant" before the shooter moved on to a shopping mall... is it libelous/slanderous to actually say "McDonalds?" They could add "other fast food franchises are available for shooting rampages" to cover their rear end.

Or did it not start in a McDonalds? (Making that cartoon even more stupid)

edit: another article actually said "McDonalds," so cartoon makes sense but is stupid. Oh, and a kid just stabbed 50 disabled people in an assisted living home in Tokyo. Look forward to those cartoons next.

nobodyssweetheart fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Jul 26, 2016

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
It did start at a McD's. While I can see how it's not the coverage they'd want it's definitely not libellous. "The shooting started at McDonalds" has been the first sentence of the second paragraph for a lot of coverage and as that's specifically a happy meal pictured it's not looking down on the brand. Assuming the artist is sane and wants to lament dead children, he's using the garbage lunchbox as a symbol of childhood innocence. Still an awful cartoon.
The kid in Tokyo was 26 by the way, for people who get all their news from the Brit politoons thread.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Mr. Squishy posted:

Assuming the artist is sane
This is probably slightly more likely than in the general politoons thread, but it's not something I'd put my wages on.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Guardian:

"Martin Rowson on Sir Philip Green and the Commons committee – BHS was systematically plundered by former owners Sir Philip Green, Dominic Chappell and their hangers-on, according to MPs, leading to the collapse of a company that once employed 11,000 people"

Telegraph:

Labour leadership: Legal action against Corbyn ballot vote; Harry Potter and the Cursed Child gets five star reviews

Independent:

Times:

nobodyssweetheart
Sep 26, 2015

I'm so proud my brother
is death ray panda
I hate to give Brookes any credit but "May Guevara" ain't a bad thread subtitle. (Mainly because it's batshit insane.)

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Ah the days when the centre-right wing are being attacked as Marxist guerrillas.

lllllllllllllllllll
Feb 28, 2010

Now the scene's lighting is perfect!
How much of this can you take in and not despair.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Guardian:

"Martin Rowson on the state of the world – The killing of a priest in France and the knife attack in Japan are the most-recent atrocities in a summer of unusual violence and global unrest"

Telegraph:

Independent:

US election: Bill Clinton backs 'best friend' Hillary to lead US

Times:

After Millet.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Guardian:

"Ben Jennings on the UK economy and the vote for Brexit – Britain’s economy grew by a faster than expected 0.6% in the second quarter as businesses appeared to shrug off Brexit jitters in the runup to the 23 June referendum"

Telegraph:

Independent:

Owen Smith proposes wealth tax to boost NHS spending

Times:

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
The Times seems to have confused Hillary Clinton with a Ventriloquist doll come to life to murder.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

The level of willful self-blindness involved here is staggering.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Fans posted:

The Times seems to have confused Hillary Clinton with a Ventriloquist doll come to life to murder.
Maybe they're Sanders supporters.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Fans posted:

thatisthejoke.gif

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Well it's not a ventriloquist dummy it's just trying to convey "cartoon". I guess the thought is "Trump painted her as a one-note crook, which is correct."

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Adams you're worthless

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
I liked it. If not the message, the parody of a typical (American) political cartoon is spot on.

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

Cliff Racer posted:

thatisthejoke.gif

err is it?

Paladinus posted:

I liked it. If not the message, the parody of a typical (American) political cartoon is spot on.

is it a parody? I thought it was more saying 'she genuinely is two-dimensional (oh and also is bad because xyz)'

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Maybe we should just change this to the Rowson Thread (Occasionally Guest Starring Steve Bell).

I swear the rest of them are actively getting worse. It's depressing.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
at least having the others there means we can't get the sense of false superiority we used to get from reading the main cartoon thread and then just coming here to see nothing but bell and rowson knocking it out the park on the regular

though if we want to deflate our british superiority nowaways we can just think of the number "52%" I guess

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Angepain posted:

though if we want to deflate our british superiority nowaways we can just think of the number "52%" I guess
The same percentage of South Africans that voted to become a republic, shedding the chains of monarchy and immediately setting up a system of racial segregation that lasted until the 90s.

Referenda! :toot:

The Saurus
Dec 3, 2006

by Smythe

Tesseraction posted:

Whipping up a hate mob and bullying a transgender woman to death is acceptable, telling a war criminal to kill himself is an abuse of free speech.

What is this in reference to?

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Guardian:

"Martin Rowson on Hinkley Point nuclear power station – After a decade of debate about the controversial £18bn project, the EDF board has voted in favour of building Hinkley Point C"

Alternate Guardian, that they didn't use:

Labour leadership: Corbyn ballot challenge rejected

Telegraph:

Lloyds cuts a further 3,000 jobs and doubles branch closure plan

Times:

Guardian Australian Sport:

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Discendo Vox posted:

The level of willful self-blindness involved here is staggering.

I know. You'd think The Telegraph would be more supportive of a politician who is clearly part of the establishment & is a strong ally of big business. Very odd.

The Saurus
Dec 3, 2006

by Smythe
Is the Guardian Australia cartoon the only thing of any value to come from their massive losses after entering the US and AUS media markets?

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Guardian:

"Martin Rowson on Hinkley Point and immigration – Government delays Hinkley Point approval as Theresa May tells eastern European leaders that British voters do not want free movement ‘to continue as it has’ following Brexit result"

Telegraph:

Times:

After Toulouse-Lautrec.

Stephen Collins:

nobodyssweetheart
Sep 26, 2015

I'm so proud my brother
is death ray panda
On twitter, Rowson admitted the cartoon "mystifies even me a bit. One of those that seemed a good idea when I started..." but then got back to arguing with people who said it was sexist/pro-eugenics somehow. At least it's visually interesting that the semi-living Osbourne Moreau-island-mutant has three arms (?) and a catheter (??) in its mouth.

nobodyssweetheart fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Jul 31, 2016

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

nobodyssweetheart posted:

On twitter, Rowson admitted the cartoon "mystifies even me a bit. One of those that seemed a good idea when I started..." but then got back to arguing with people who said it was sexist/pro-eugenics somehow.
Eugenics isn't an explicitly bad thing in an of itself. Involuntary euthanasia of the genetically infirm is an extreme, but I don't see the problem with having a strong social taboo against having children with your first cousins for multiple generations until the chin gene completely disappears.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Guavanaut posted:

Eugenics isn't an explicitly bad thing in an of itself. Involuntary euthanasia of the genetically infirm is an extreme, but I don't see the problem with having a strong social taboo against having children with your first cousins for multiple generations until the chin gene completely disappears.

...or comes to form one's entire face, as happened to the Habsburgs.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Observer:

"Clinton or Trump? The choice facing America - Chris Riddell on the US presidential candidates"

Sunday Telegraph:

Plastic bag use plummets in England since 5p charge; Corbyn: Labour MPs planning split should think again

Sunday Times:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Guardian:

"Ben Jennings on Theresa May and state pensions – Theresa May will stick to the Tory manifesto pledge of the triple lock, which guarantees rises in the state pension, No 10 has confirmed" Also US skydiver jumps without parachute into net from 25,000ft

Telegraph:

Independent:

Florida Zika cases prompt UK advice for pregnant travellers

Times: