Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

Zomborgon posted:

The family edition removes the two lower actions on the pleasure room, then adds actions for smacking around a piņata and eating candy.

I am normally against all censorship but this is good and correct.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Moddington posted:

It probably doesn't help that "the UI should be worked on" and "Toady should get whatever help he can" have been the consensus for nearly a decade now.

Dwarf Fortress is a trial sent to us by Banjo the Clown to determine who is truly Good by affording those who enjoy the game the opportunity to utter evil phrases such as "I wish Toady would just die already so DF would go open source and finally get fixed."

Well that's my opinion, thanks for reading thread.

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

:supaburn: God damnit why do the child caps never ever work. I've got it set to 8:10% but I just got a migrant wave of 8 people, 6 of which were kids. That brings my total up to 9 children in a fort of 25. :negative:

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

Odobenidae posted:

:supaburn: God damnit why do the child caps never ever work. I've got it set to 8:10% but I just got a migrant wave of 8 people, 6 of which were kids. That brings my total up to 9 children in a fort of 25. :negative:

I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure you can mod the age that a dwarf grows up. Why not just set it to something more reasonable than 12.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Odobenidae posted:

Nothing stops children from immigrating. The caps just stop them from being conceived.

e: actually embarking on year 1 might generate a no-children universe but it's probably also screwy in other ways

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010

Lawman 0 posted:

"Oh hey meph updated masterwork I wonder what he put-"

:ughh: loving boltgun.

Why did meph bring back succubi.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I *think* it's because he's just willing to throw whatever in as long as someone else does most of the code for him - so like someone else did the Succubi race and said 'hey wanna put this in?' and Meph says 'sure why not.'

I would like some new siege engines for dwarves somehow. Even if he brought back the exploding ammunition that'd be a great start. I really want cannons though.

e: oh god what are the Succubi's "toys"

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

yeah, i think he throws it in because the person making it keeps it updated or something. quantity above all else.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Moridin920 posted:

e: oh god what are the Succubi's "toys"

Erector sets.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
I guess the most hosed up sexually depraved retards would be the ones to keep their df mods updated daily.

Kayle7
Mar 19, 2012

Little solace comes
to those who grieve
when thoughts keep drifting
as walls keep shifting
and this great blue world of ours
seems a house of leaves
moments before the wind.
A demon race would be pretty cool if it wasn't really weirdly sexual :a2m:

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Succbois and Fuckbois.

Kirs
Dec 5, 2014

Apart from drinking, there is absolutely nothing to do here.
Why one of my squads keep thinking that they are Marksdwarfs, while their equipment is for axes squad? is the because while I just formed it I forgot to designate their uniform and that was individual weapon choice and at that time he grabbed a crossbow? Are there any consequences for them not named properly other than confusing me?

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...
Their highest applicable skill determines their job title. Until they train a different weapon skill up above their crossbow skill, they'll be marksdwarves, but the names are just cosmetic.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Lawman 0 posted:

"Oh hey meph updated masterwork I wonder what he put-"

:ughh: loving boltgun.

I wonder if they're the same people who keep shoving the weird fetish stuff into Cataclysm DDA (seriously why does quality time with a vibrator give a bigger morale boost then toking up, kicking back in a recliner, listening to music and eating cookies?)

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

Leal posted:

I wonder if they're the same people who keep shoving the weird fetish stuff into Cataclysm DDA (seriously why does quality time with a vibrator give a bigger morale boost then toking up, kicking back in a recliner, listening to music and eating cookies?)

Well I don't wanna be that guy but those cookies are totally gonna kill that buzz you got going on from the spliff.

Apoffys
Sep 5, 2011
I haven't played in ages, and when I downloaded the Starter Pack now I noticed that one of the starting dwarfs in the pre-made loadout I used was set up as a combination axedwarf and woodcutter. Does that combination work now or is it still bugged? I seem to recall a dwarf couldn't handle using the same axe for felling trees and for felling goblins, nor could he carry separate axes.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Apoffys posted:

I haven't played in ages, and when I downloaded the Starter Pack now I noticed that one of the starting dwarfs in the pre-made loadout I used was set up as a combination axedwarf and woodcutter. Does that combination work now or is it still bugged? I seem to recall a dwarf couldn't handle using the same axe for felling trees and for felling goblins, nor could he carry separate axes.

You mean he has skill points both in wood cutting and axe dwarf? That works fine. He will use his axe to chop down trees, but if he is attacked he will use his axedwarf skill to defend himself. This reduces the chance of one of your first 7 dying to an angry badger or something while cutting trees. Probably unnecessary, but it's not a problem.

The conflict only affects dwarfs who are actually assigned to a military squad. If a dwarf has woodcutting, hunting, or mining enabled, then when he goes on duty he'll send an error message about equipment mismatch -- even if the weapon in his uniform is the same as the tool he uses normally. So if you later decide to assign that dwarf to a squad, just disable his wood cutting job at that time.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

I embarked on an evil biome once and the only dwarf who died was a woodcutter who created a widowcrafter when he chopped a tree that dropped a log onto another tree, which then fell striking him in the skull, killing him instantly.

Decrepus fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Jul 31, 2016

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

Facebook Aunt posted:

The conflict only affects dwarfs who are actually assigned to a military squad. If a dwarf has woodcutting, hunting, or mining enabled, then when he goes on duty he'll send an error message about equipment mismatch -- even if the weapon in his uniform is the same as the tool he uses normally. So if you later decide to assign that dwarf to a squad, just disable his wood cutting job at that time.

yeah the mismatch problem you're thinking of is the squad uniform and the woodcutter labor's "uniform" of having a axe conflicting and that's still something that you need to account for, but you don't need a squad to swing the thing you're holding in self-defense

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
My current civ isn't quite extinct, but it had about 26 people left alive, total, with two of its three held settlements having populations of less than five. I thought I'd stop getting migrants after everyone in the entire civilization immigrated, but what's actually happened is that the game just keeps randomly generating new migrant waves (because the civ technically still exists, even if only just). I've already more than tripled my civ's population and am pretty much single-handedly saving the civ from the brink.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

scamtank posted:

yeah the mismatch problem you're thinking of is the squad uniform and the woodcutter labor's "uniform" of having a axe conflicting and that's still something that you need to account for, but you don't need a squad to swing the thing you're holding in self-defense

Last time I played, my favourite thing to do was to draft every otherwise-useless peasant into excavating entire levels. This quickly increases fortress wealth (raw stone, ores, gems) through the lower tiers, which draws goblin raids, and generates a bunch of moderately-skilled miners with decent physical attributes who can (with Therapist) quickly be converted from "civilian with the mining labour" to "soldier with a mining pick as assigned weapon" to use as a super dorfy military. Unless they have been changed since DF2012, mining picks are terrifyingly effective weapons that seem to have all the benefits of both a battle axe and a spear in that they can both cleave bodyparts and penetrate armour. There are surely more "efficient" ways to train a good military, but getting the invasions coming early and generating lots of amusing combat text and consequences seems way more fun to me.

StrangeAeon
Jul 11, 2011

Barring embarking next to a Tower, I haven't had invasions or sieges since DF2010. : /

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

StrangeAeon posted:

Barring embarking next to a Tower, I haven't had invasions or sieges since DF2010. : /

They tend to take a long time to start these days, and if you're in a safe enough area you may never get invaded by anything but forgotten beasts. If you want to deal with Goblins early and often like in the old days, try to be the closest settlement to a dark fortress.

This is esp. important on monster rich worlds where all the civs are constantly dealing with titan and megabeast invasions and are too busy fighting off monsters to attack their neighbors. I like playing Adv mode so I tend to generate worlds with huge numbers of megabeasts and some goblin fortresses get attacked by dragons/hydras/rocs four or five times a year, lol

Mirthless fucked around with this message at 13:48 on Aug 1, 2016

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Make sure goblins can actually reach your fortress too. Now that they actually have to travel across the map, lots of otherwise good sites don't have access to goblins and humans and elves.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

When the civs tab of the embark site screen shows a civ it can reach me, right? Like when it says goblins I should be getting sieges? My fortresses usually die to FPS before I've gotten more than the first couple invasions.

Beasts have seemed pretty prone to whiffing. Like they'll stumble upon some dwarf who then dodges 18 pages of combat log worth of attacks, then my squad arrives and piles in and mashes it into tiny little pieces for no casualties on my side. Kobold thieves on the other hand will loving always horribly stab someone. I should just let them run off.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
What size world are you usually using and how long are you letting them gen?

I've noticed sieges are less frequent and tavern/library/temple visitors are practically nonexistent on smaller/younger worlds even if I embark right next to a town or enemy fortress. Maybe because the populations are just lower?

Maybe I'm just huffing glue and seeing patterns where none exist though.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

My fort is 22 years going and has been invaded 15 times, my civilization is at war with a goblin one and they keep sending armies down to die. There was another invasion but the game crashed before I saved and when I reloaded the invasion didn't happen for another two years. Most invasions are large enough I have bodies piled up from two invasions ago that haven't been dragged to a stockpile. There have been so many Forgotten Beast invasions I've lost count, there are currently 5 running around in the caverns that are trapped due to trees/walls, one breathes fire and has already burned down that cavern once and another has poison blood, the rest are just too hard to get to to kill off because of how the caverns are shaped. Hopefully a beast will spawn where one of the other beasts are and they will fight, they already randomly kill creatures that appear in their little enclosures.

Also I think I mentioned a Slug Man Maceman who would visit my fort after every invasion and get horrified, he visited again after the last invasion and I had the game running in the background while I did other stuff, when I check in he had started a bunch of bar fights and then left, so I'm waiting for him to visit again so I can toss him in jail. According to Legends mode he wanders around between forts and defends them during invasions, but no one beats up a cat in my fort without spending time in the slammer. Also my Outpost Liaison started a bunch of fights and hasn't met with the Baron, I'm not sure if there is a meeting queue problem because the Mayor is depressed and the elf diplomat who just arrived is already has Attend Meeting on his jobs list. This mayor is a goblin mayor who is worse than the cool elf mayor who would meet with people and fight in the wars.

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

Is there any way to retrieve a body from a river? One of my dumbass fisherdwarves was standing on ice when the seasons changed, fishing in the small thawed part of the river. For future reference, because he's already haunting me now. :v:

LordNagash
Dec 29, 2012

Odobenidae posted:

Is there any way to retrieve a body from a river? One of my dumbass fisherdwarves was standing on ice when the seasons changed, fishing in the small thawed part of the river. For future reference, because he's already haunting me now. :v:

You'd need to dam up that part of the river to get to him, and you'd need to do it before winter because the water freezing will destroy his body. Probably easier to just carve a memorial slab.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
I had a Wolf Man Philosopher show up and hang around my fort for a while getting into intellectual debates and writing books. I found it weirdly amusing.

Kirs
Dec 5, 2014

Apart from drinking, there is absolutely nothing to do here.

Tars Tarkas posted:

My fort is 22 years going and has been invaded 15 times, my civilization is at war with a goblin one and they keep sending armies down to die. There was another invasion but the game crashed before I saved and when I reloaded the invasion didn't happen for another two years. Most invasions are large enough I have bodies piled up from two invasions ago that haven't been dragged to a stockpile. There have been so many Forgotten Beast invasions I've lost count, there are currently 5 running around in the caverns that are trapped due to trees/walls, one breathes fire and has already burned down that cavern once and another has poison blood, the rest are just too hard to get to to kill off because of how the caverns are shaped. Hopefully a beast will spawn where one of the other beasts are and they will fight, they already randomly kill creatures that appear in their little enclosures.

Also I think I mentioned a Slug Man Maceman who would visit my fort after every invasion and get horrified, he visited again after the last invasion and I had the game running in the background while I did other stuff, when I check in he had started a bunch of bar fights and then left, so I'm waiting for him to visit again so I can toss him in jail. According to Legends mode he wanders around between forts and defends them during invasions, but no one beats up a cat in my fort without spending time in the slammer. Also my Outpost Liaison started a bunch of fights and hasn't met with the Baron, I'm not sure if there is a meeting queue problem because the Mayor is depressed and the elf diplomat who just arrived is already has Attend Meeting on his jobs list. This mayor is a goblin mayor who is worse than the cool elf mayor who would meet with people and fight in the wars.

Hey slug man just wanted to help you, you don't have to be mad. :angel:

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Is there any way to force your dwarfs to make odd sized clothing? I regretfully turned away a Monarch Butterflywoman mercenary because she wore small sized clothing and none of the caravans bring that size. She didn't have any armor, but she did have a sword and 3 shields. :haw: Kind of dumb for a small flying person to pick a melee weapon instead of a ranged weapon though. Death from above!

Oh, and what is the deal with all the brawling? People randomly get in fights in the corridors, someone loving dies, and it isn't a crime?

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

Facebook Aunt posted:

Is there any way to force your dwarfs to make odd sized clothing? I regretfully turned away a Monarch Butterflywoman mercenary because she wore small sized clothing and none of the caravans bring that size. She didn't have any armor, but she did have a sword and 3 shields. :haw: Kind of dumb for a small flying person to pick a melee weapon instead of a ranged weapon though. Death from above!

Oh, and what is the deal with all the brawling? People randomly get in fights in the corridors, someone loving dies, and it isn't a crime?

Drunken fights are a thing now. Some dwarves even have a need to get into such confrontations in order to be truly happy.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!

Facebook Aunt posted:

If you go into detail I believe you can choose to make large/small equipment.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Facebook Aunt posted:

I think elves and goblins have small equipment.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

Queue up the armor jobs on the workshop, then select them and hit d. Then select size and hit f for filter, start typing "butterfly" or whatever animal they are and select the butterflyman size. It will then show up as small or large or whatever. Dwarfs and Goblins and Elves are regular size, Humans are large size (a lot of my mercenaries are humans so I have to make them custom clothes a lot) Some of the animal men don't wear pants but beyond that I don't know how to armor them correctly as not have tried to join my fort. Also sounds like that Butterfly might have four arms to carry more weapons/shields, which might be better in a fight?

Also mayor update: She's currently in jail for two months but at least she's meeting with people again. I wonder if this will effect her reelection chances...

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Sooo... what's the largest percentage of your population you've gotten stuck in trees so far? Cos I didn't pay attention for a bit and am currently sitting at a whopping five out of 15 dorfs. Clearcutting everything currently. This is one of the most infuriating bugs.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010

Facebook Aunt posted:

Death in combat, no matter how stupid, can never be a crime

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Elves, Goblins, Kobbolds and Dwarves are all small I think.