Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

the litsa front would be really interesting if done well

arctic warfare with both sides totally at the end of their tether and getting bogged down in mile after mile of swamp terrain? sounds good to me!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

feedmegin posted:

I'd love to see the Spanish Civil War. Almoooost World War 2 like, and you've got fighters, bombers, tanks, all that stuff, but different enough to be interesting. Plenty of options for sides too - on the one side CNT/FAI, the International Brigades, the Communist units, on the other side the Nationalist forces themselves but also Italians and Germans.
Actually, considering soldiers from both sides of the SCW wound up fighting in WWII (Republicans with the Free French, Nationalist Volunteers in the Blue Division), it might be a good starting point alongside the Chinese theatre. Were there many people in the International Brigades who went on to serve in their own countries' armies?

SeanBeansShako posted:

Lets be honest, we all want a WW2 game that is basically like the World At War documentary that covers pretty much a few hours of gameplay for a soldier from the start in China to the bitter end in China with a Brothers In Arms level of detail with what the soldiers went through.

That would be awesome and I'd pre-order/kickstart/buy that if would ever happen. I imagine it'd take a decade to pull off too.

Some sort of episodic/DLC based game with a bunch of different campaigns?

I've been doing some thinking myself. I have a few ideas for campaigns:
:canada::A First Nations soldier in the Devil's Brigade, fighting through Italy and Southern France, and then once the brigade is disbanded is sent to the Canadian Airborne Battalion for the Battle of the Bulge (I know, it's been done, but how many people know that Canadians were there?) & Operation Varsity.
:china::I personally don't know much about the details of the Chinese Theatre, but I do think it needs to be addressed.
:ussr: The Battle of Khalkin Gol is definitely something worth looking at, ditto Bagration. I'm no sure how'd you tie those two together,. Just as long as some of the more persistent myths got :commissar:ed, which I guess would include summary executions by Commissars.
:finland:: The Winter & Lapland Wars have some good battles you could do, but obviously there's the elephant in the room of the whole Continuation War.
:france: You could have some soldiers in the Battle of France (maybe tankers fighting off a larger force of crappier German tanks before the player's tank gets knocked out by an 88 and then forced to flee on foot), getting evacuated via Dunkirk or otherwise, then fighting in North Africa before coming back to France and being part of the 2nd Armoured Division liberating Paris.

Another interesting idea might be Viet Minh guerillas working with OSS operatives to throw out the Japanese, although that one might kind of end on a downer.

Yvonmukluk fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Jul 30, 2016

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Yvonmukluk posted:

Actually, considering soldiers from both sides of the SCW wound up fighting in WWII (Republicans with the Free French, Nationalist Volunteers in the Blue Division), it might be a good starting point alongside the Chinese theatre. Were there many people in the International Brigades who went on to serve in their own countries' armies?

It happened, but service with the International Brigades would have you pegged as a subversive dirty commie by the US and UK. And, of course, the Soviet Union started World War 2 allied with the Nazis not opposing them, so even more so early on.

feedmegin fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Jul 30, 2016

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Going to be honest my barometer for how good a job a game does of showing more than the usual is the whinging about how badly video games are ruined by having not white men everywhere from the usual complainers.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug
You can play Spanish Civil War battles in Steel Panthers WaW.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Yvonmukluk posted:

Some sort of episodic/DLC based game with a bunch of different campaigns?

I've been doing some thinking myself. I have a few ideas for campaigns:
:canada::A First Nations soldier in the Devil's Brigade, fighting through Italy and Southern France, and then once the brigade is disbanded is sent to the Canadian Airborne Battalion for the Battle of the Bulge (I know, it's been done, but how many people know that Canadians were there?) & Operation Varsity.
:china::I personally don't know much about the details of the Chinese Theatre, but I do think it needs to be addressed.
:ussr: The Battle of Khalkin Gol is definitely something worth looking at, ditto Bagration. I'm no sure how'd you tie those two together,. Just as long as some of the more persistent myths got :commissar:ed, which I guess would include summary executions by Commissars.
:finland:: The Winter & Lapland Wars have some good battles you could do, but obviously there's the elephant in the room of the whole Continuation War.
:france: You could have some soldiers in the Battle of France (maybe tankers fighting off a larger force of crappier German tanks before the player's tank gets knocked out by an 88 and then forced to flee on foot), getting evacuated via Dunkirk or otherwise, then fighting in North Africa before coming back to France and being part of the 2nd Armoured Division liberating Paris.

Another interesting idea might be Viet Minh guerillas working with OSS operatives to throw out the Japanese, although that one might kind of end on a downer.

The Aleutians campaign could make a decent tutorial for Americans and Japanese.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Hogge Wild posted:

You can play Spanish Civil War battles in Steel Panthers WaW.

There's a couple in SP: Modern Battle Tank as well.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Yvonmukluk posted:

Start as a swordsman at the Marco Polo bridge.

Defense of the Sihang Warehouse in Shanghai, just copy the Pavlov's house level from the first COD.

Taierzhuang was the first big Chinese victory. At the end you could have the player put on a historically accurate suicide vest if we want to get edgy.

And of course the obligatory battle where the selflessly brave Nationalists/Communists are betrayed by the ever perfidious Communists/Nationalists.

meatbag
Apr 2, 2007
Clapping Larry

Arbite posted:

Call of Duty: Forgotten Fronts. China, Finland and Burma.

I was reading some Flashman and it's mentioned that the official report on the Crimean War came down heavily against the generals and had to be redone by a different group. Is this true, and are there similar cases?

The official report on the Battle of Jutland as delivered to the First Sea Lord was critical towards admiral Beatty, commander of the Battle Cruiser Squadron.

Incidentially, since the battle, Beatty had been promoted to First Sea Lord :downs:

Needless to say, changes were made.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

WWII game about that Korean dude who got drafted into the IJA, fought and was captured at Khalkin Gol, pressed into the Soviet army after some labour camp time, fought on the Eastern front, captured again and pressed into the Wehrmacht, and finally captured by the Americans at Normandy.

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug

Flipswitch posted:

A good eastern front campaign would be cool. Chinese theatre would also be sweet.

CoD:World at War had you play as a Russian on the eastern front as half of the campaign. The final stage is storming the Reichstag and planting the Soviet flag on top.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

Nenonen posted:

Depending on which side you play, of course, but yes, that's what a historical scenario depicting the battle for Warsaw is all about.

Looking it up I see that it's an old school groggy wargame sim type deal; I had assumed someone had, at some point, thought it was a good idea to make a narrative campaign where you play as dirlewanger or something.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

P-Mack posted:

And of course the obligatory battle where the selflessly brave Nationalists/Communists are betrayed by the ever perfidious Communists/Nationalists.

Both of them. And the briefings beforehand blatantly lie about what happened in the previous missions.

Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010

pthighs posted:

CoD:World at War had you play as a Russian on the eastern front as half of the campaign. The final stage is storming the Reichstag and planting the Soviet flag on top.

Which skipped over everything between Stalingrad and the beginning of the battle for Berlin. Playing as a Soviet Paratrooper during the Vyazma operation could have been interesting. Or the capture of Budapest and the subsequent counter-offensive.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Nenonen posted:

Depending on which side you play, of course, but yes, that's what a historical scenario depicting the battle for Warsaw is all about.

In theory, SP:WaW is a great game. It's the ultimate wargame sandbox - make up any scenario you want, using (pretty much) any Allied or Axis nation from the early 30's to the late 40's, and you can probably make it happen. Finns battling Nationalist Chinese in the forests of Siberia? Sure thing. Republican Spain vs. Norway? Not a problem.

In practice, the included content reads like a wehraboo wankfest. Most scenarios flat-out assume you'll be playing as the Germans, and a whole bunch of them are the kind where, say, a heroic company of invincible King Tigers face down the perfidious Red Hordes. :godwinning:

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

feedmegin posted:

r

It happened, but service with the International Brigades would have you pegged as a subversive dirty commie by the US and UK. And, of course, the Soviet Union started World War 2 allied with the Nazis not opposing them, so even more so early on.

FBI called them "premature anti-fascists" and they were apparently kept out of the army until 1944. Read an article about one, apparently after the war he ended up blacklisted in the McCarthy era.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Skipping away from videogame talk, what are good sources and articles on the Yugoslav Wars? Specifically the Bosnian and Croatian war of independence?

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Kopijeger posted:

Which skipped over everything between Stalingrad and the beginning of the battle for Berlin. Playing as a Soviet Paratrooper during the Vyazma operation could have been interesting. Or the capture of Budapest and the subsequent counter-offensive.

Anyone else feel the tone for that game is just well, really off especially compared to the past ones?

WAR IS loving BAD DUDE KILL THE GERMANS WITH FIRE loving ZOMBIESSSSSS!

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I'd like a videogame of the Pig War of 1859.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

Kopijeger posted:

I think the average person's awareness of the eastern front goes "Barbarossa, Staleningrad*, Kursk, Berlin"; they were probably just playing to that.

*I've known a couple of people who conflated these two, a few of whom conflated the cities.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

SlothfulCobra posted:

I'd like a videogame of the Pig War of 1859.

You get to play as a young General Pickett

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

100 Years Ago

23 July: Oh God, they're attacking again. What's that, Skippy? The Aussies weren't prepared to sit there like lemons waiting for orders and instead they've captured most of a critical village? Crikey! Yes, the 1st Australian Division has shown the benefits of devolved command, the fighting at High Wood shows the dangers of a reverse slope defence; the fighting at Guillemont shows what you can do with enough bloody-minded slaughter and a little sheer luck (and what the runners can't do even with it). There's a conference about Salonika and supporting the Romanians; Robert Pelissier rocks up in Picardy; and Clifford Wells hasn't been sent to France yet because his name is "Wells", not "Bells".

24 July: French attacks fail; the Somme is congealing again. A howitzer appears in Africa and is captured almost as quickly; something happened on the Eastern Front; Oskar Teichman's men get orders reminding them about water discipline; E.S. Thompson's mates show their inexperience at soldiering as they fail badly at an informal resupply exercise; padre Oswin Creighton is a far better human than all of us put together; and Maximilian Mugge begins setting up the Campaign for Real Folk Songs.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

Cythereal posted:

Another good Forgotten Front: the Japanese invasion of the Aleutians and the American counterattack. Short, but could make a good tutorial.

Did the Japenese actually face any resistance when they landed? Or will the American counterattack consist of landing on an uninhabited island and being shot at by fellow American's in the fog. The only way to pass the tutorial is NOT shoot anyone by mistake.

Last week I found out about a Great-Grandfather who was in the Australian army and went through the entire war from the Middle east to New Guinea and his proudest achievement was never actually firing a shot.

Comstar fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Jul 31, 2016

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

An interesting battle in WWII to have a game based on would be the British Invasion of French Syria, just to see people puzzled about the fact that French troops actually fought the allies.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Tekopo posted:

An interesting battle in WWII to have a game based on would be the British Invasion of French Syria, just to see people puzzled about the fact that French troops actually fought the allies.

Been there, done that with The Operational Art Of War 3 (or some such).

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Nenonen posted:

Been there, done that with The Operational Art Of War 3 (or some such).
I meant for non-grog games, or otherwise I would just play Reluctant Enemies :)

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Tekopo posted:

It was a weird time.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Comstar posted:

Did the Japenese actually face any resistance when they landed? Or will the American counterattack consist of landing on an uninhabited island and being shot at by fellow American's in the fog. The only way to pass the tutorial is NOT shoot anyone by mistake.

The initial landings were largely unopposed, but the campaign for the islands saw two notable land battles and a series of naval engagements around the Aleutians. It's largely forgotten about because Guadalcanal was kicking off at around the same time.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Another WWII aircraft question, I read that the effect range of the 20mm cannon the Germans used was 1000m, but what was the actual range in which a pilot could/would actually fire and likely to accurately hit an enemy aircraft? 300m is the number I vaguely recall and did this differ between machine guns and cannons?

BattleMoose
Jun 16, 2010

Raenir Salazar posted:

Another WWII aircraft question, I read that the effect range of the 20mm cannon the Germans used was 1000m, but what was the actual range in which a pilot could/would actually fire and likely to accurately hit an enemy aircraft? 300m is the number I vaguely recall and did this differ between machine guns and cannons?

I remember from some doco somewhere, that for the RAF at least, hurricanes/spitfires the official doctrine was to harmonize their guns for 400m. But many pilots harmonized for 300m. Don't know about cannons at all, and is only slightly relevant to your query. :/

Harmonizing:
The guns don't all point forward but are slightly angled inwards, so at a set distance all the rounds from all the guns would pass through a single point (the enemy plane), theoretically.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

spectralent posted:

I think the average person's awareness of the eastern front goes "Barbarossa, Staleningrad*, Kursk, Berlin"; they were probably just playing to that.

*I've known a couple of people who conflated these two, a few of whom conflated the cities.

Yeah basically the only game series that handles the Eastern Front well is Men of War, and it's a difficult one to love.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Ensign Expendable posted:

Yeah basically the only game series that handles the Eastern Front well is Men of War, and it's a difficult one to love.

I liked Men of War, it seemed like a good compromise between the realism of Close Combat III and the Arcade abstraction of Company of Heroes.

BattleMoose posted:

I remember from some doco somewhere, that for the RAF at least, hurricanes/spitfires the official doctrine was to harmonize their guns for 400m. But many pilots harmonized for 300m. Don't know about cannons at all, and is only slightly relevant to your query. :/

Harmonizing:
The guns don't all point forward but are slightly angled inwards, so at a set distance all the rounds from all the guns would pass through a single point (the enemy plane), theoretically.

No no this is good! I saw the word "harmonizing" before in google and didn't realize it was pretty much directly related to my query! Wikipedia apparently has an example chart for me.

BattleMoose
Jun 16, 2010

Ensign Expendable posted:

The hearts of iron series of games was able to put the Eastern Front into its proper context. Its not a first person shooter but a grand strategy game. And when playing as Germany, when 90% of your efforts and resources are directed towards the Eastern Front and not whatever shenanigans the allies are up to, it was a really educational experience for me. Absolutely nothing for me at least at that time, movies, media documentaries or games were able to put the Eastern Front into its correct context.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
So doing some quick maths here, so if the Yak-9 "at altitude" could travel 600 km/h, if my math is correct, this is 167 meters per second?

That seems hella fast. Am I getting this right?

BattleMoose posted:

The hearts of iron series of games was able to put the Eastern Front into its proper context. Its not a first person shooter but a grand strategy game. And when playing as Germany, when 90% of your efforts and resources are directed towards the Eastern Front and not whatever shenanigans the allies are up to, it was a really educational experience for me. Absolutely nothing for me at least at that time, movies, media documentaries or games were able to put the Eastern Front into its correct context.

Soviet Storm nowadays seems like a pretty good series. :)

BattleMoose
Jun 16, 2010

Raenir Salazar posted:

Soviet Storm nowadays seems like a pretty good series. :)

Watched it about 3 times, its amazing!

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Raenir Salazar posted:

So doing some quick maths here, so if the Yak-9 "at altitude" could travel 600 km/h, if my math is correct, this is 167 meters per second?

Yep. Planes be fast.

Mind you that's it's maximum speed. Most of the time it's probably going slower.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

Yvonmukluk posted:

Or what other wars would you want to see covered? I mean, aside from Landsknecht Shooting out of Window Sim 1642, that one's a given.

Cold War gone hot things like Harpoon and whatever that Abrams tank sim my brother-in-law had in the early '90s could stand a modern remake.

A Fulda Gap (and yes I know that'd've been a stupid way for WW3 to play out, but it'd make a good game) flight sim/tank sim combined-arms online game in the style of War Thunder could be a thing, maybe. The singleplayer campaign could be working your way up from tank driver to TC to being the only surviving NATO soldier in Germany (and a similar progression for A-10 pilots), endgame is choose whether to surrender or launch a tactical nuke and set off WW3 proper. Though to be fair, either option is a bit of a bad ending, but c'est la guerre.

Comstar posted:

Last week I found out about a Great-Grandfather who was in the Australian army and went through the entire war from the Middle east to New Guinea and his proudest achievement was never actually firing a shot.
Remember the achievement for completing HL2 with one bullet? you have to shoot a lock off a door, otherwise the game can be beaten melee-only. I want that in a Call of Duty or whatever singleplayer mode. Or at least instant roll credits after the opening cutscene for choosing to the a conscientious objector. :v:

BattleMoose posted:

Harmonizing:
The Americans used a different term which I forget at the moment. But yeah they'd aim the guns to put all the bullets through one point at some range.

Raenir Salazar posted:

"Effective range" is,generally, "the range at which you can reasonably expect to hit what you're aiming at." So, the range at which the rifle shoots minute-of-man for infantry -- aiming at a the center of a 16" square target (the center of mass/torso of a person being about 16"x16"), effective range is the farthest out from which you'd be able to get most of your shots aimed at the center of that box landing within that box. Maximum lethal range is quite a lot more, but past effective range you're not expecting to actually hit the enemy, due to various mechanical/human factors, but still good for suppressing fire/maybe you'll get lucky. Of course, that only applies to aircraft with guns in the nose; with guns in the wings, you set them to converge/harmonize at your preferred range and only fire at that range.

Raenir Salazar posted:

Yes.

Which isn't actually all that fast, the .45 Auto military load is just subsonic at ~300m/s. 340 m/s is mach, so the Yak-9 does maybe .5 mach, around 400mph for the Americans, lines up with the other fast WWII fighters (and the A-10).

Also just for funsies, the F-111 could go about as fast (at altitude) as a .30-caliber bullet (e.g., 7.62 NATO), and the SR-71 up there where the air is rarefied was truckin' along at the same speed as 5.56 NATO (a little over a kilometer a second).

Edit:

PittTheElder posted:

Yep. Planes be fast.

Mind you that's it's maximum speed. Most of the time it's probably going slower.
That too. E.g. the P-51, with a max speed of 703km/h, cruise speed (best gas mileage speed, iirc) of 580kph, actual speed escorting the bombers closer to 500kph.

So yeah the Yak-9 was rather slow among its contemporaries -- the P-51 entered front-line service five months or so before the Yak-9.

Chillbro Baggins fucked around with this message at 09:29 on Jul 31, 2016

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

my dad posted:

HEY GAL makes a lot of good posts about Germany and mercenaries, but she has something like a hundred pages of posts in this thread, so it's best to treat her like a cloud of alcohol, pistols, windows, pistols shooting through windows, weird German words, and suspiciously bloody coins that gets regularly quartered in this thread.

Trin Tragula
has an amazing blog that follows WW1 day by day, and updates this thread with links to the blog every time he posts something there. If you have the time, it's very much worth it.

lenoon posts about the conscientous objector movement, and his posts are a sobering reminder of just how awful war can be even at home, hundreds of miles away from the nearest front line.

JaucheCharly posts a lot about bows, especially Ottoman ones, pretty interesting stuff in there.

Disinterested made some interesting posts about the nature of fascism.

Jobbo_Fett makes regular posts about WW2 equipment, weapons, ammo, and stuff. Not my cup of tea, and not something I read, but the impression I get from people who are interested in that is that it's pretty high quality stuff.

P-Mack posts about the Taiping War. Gigantic civil war in China, one side being led by a dude who thinks he's Jesus' baby bro.

Bewbies posts about more technology oriented stuff, and made quite a lot of interesting posts about US in the civil war, the world wars, and the cold war.

Tevery Best has a couple of cool posts about Polish history.

chitoryu12 has a separate thread in which he tastes and talks about military rations from all over the world.

Apologies to any regulars whom I forgot or left out.

This really, really, really belongs in the OP.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Delivery McGee posted:

"Effective range" is,generally, "the range at which you can reasonably expect to hit what you're aiming at." So, the range at which the rifle shoots minute-of-man for infantry -- aiming at a the center of a 16" square target (the center of mass/torso of a person being about 16"x16"), effective range is the farthest out from which you'd be able to get most of your shots aimed at the center of that box landing within that box. Maximum lethal range is quite a lot more, but past effective range you're not expecting to actually hit the enemy, due to various mechanical/human factors, but still good for suppressing fire/maybe you'll get lucky. Of course, that only applies to aircraft with guns in the nose; with guns in the wings, you set them to converge/harmonize at your preferred range and only fire at that range.

Yeah, one of the common threads in reading accounts of skilled pilots in ww2 was that they all said to wait until you're as close as possible to shoot. The only time you hear them talking about trying to shoot at their guns' maximum range are in situations like the big bomber raids over Germany where the pilots are trying to stay out of range of the defensive armament. Also, some of the P-38 pilots talk about shooting from further out than usual due to the aforementioned nose-based armament.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Delivery McGee posted:

Cold War gone hot things like Harpoon and whatever that Abrams tank sim my brother-in-law had in the early '90s could stand a modern remake.

Command: Modern Air/Naval Operations is pretty much Harpoon remade for the ultra-grognards.

• Locked thread