Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

AnElegantPeacock posted:

Got a "bonus" at work that was paid out in Amazon Gift Cards so I decided to blow it on warmans including my boy Big Rezzy. What do we think?

Servath Reznik, Wrath of Ages - WJ: +29
- Madelyn Corbeau, Ordic Courtesan - PC: 4
- Scourge of Heresy - PC: 16 (Battlegroup Points Used: 16)
- Templar - PC: 15 (Battlegroup Points Used: 13)
- Templar - PC: 15
- Devout - PC: 9

Vassal Mechanik - PC: 1

Idrian Skirmishers - Leader & 9 Grunts: 15
- Idrian Skirmisher Chieftain & Guide - Chieftain & Guide: 5
Choir of Menoth - Leader & 5 Grunts: 6
Flame Bringers - Leader & 4 Grunts: 17

That list is similar to the one Phatasian ran at WiTC. Key thing is that Reznik2 with lamentation up, one focus on him, Corbeau b2b behind him using parlay, and a shield guard or two protecting her is basically invincible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

waah posted:

Lemme know.what you go with. I been looking but I cant decide and with the Sentinel being pretty hard for me to justify in my lists, it has taken a backseat.

At first I wanted to do a glossy black like a scorpion, but I don't think I have the talent for that. I will probably go with a very dark brown but I still don't like that idea honestly.

Yeah, I'm in no hurry but I like to have a plan. Most of my army is red, black and silver so glossy black wouldn't look out of place. I don't know that I could make it work either.

Shiny green, like a beetle, might be pretty cool too. My Immortals are green so that might tie together nicely.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~

AnElegantPeacock posted:

Got a "bonus" at work that was paid out in Amazon Gift Cards so I decided to blow it on warmans including my boy Big Rezzy. What do we think?

Servath Reznik, Wrath of Ages - WJ: +29
- Madelyn Corbeau, Ordic Courtesan - PC: 4
- Scourge of Heresy - PC: 16 (Battlegroup Points Used: 16)
- Templar - PC: 15 (Battlegroup Points Used: 13)
- Templar - PC: 15
- Devout - PC: 9

Idrian Skirmishers - Leader & 9 Grunts: 15
- Idrian Skirmisher Chieftain & Guide - Chieftain & Guide: 5
Choir of Menoth - Leader & 5 Grunts: 6
Flame Bringers - Leader & 4 Grunts: 17

I think this is a really solid list.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

gently caress that list. I'm excited to play against it.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

How do you guys feel about running a Cav unit as your only combat unit?

With Laddermore, a full unit of Lances, and support (JR and a Firefly) I don't have a lot of non BG points to work with.

wearing a lampshade
Mar 6, 2013

fadam posted:

With Laddermore, a full unit of Lances, and support (JR and a Firefly) I don't have a lot of non BG points to work with.

I played into a list with stryker3, lancers and laddermore, and nothing but Hammersmith's. It was super legit. 75pts tho.

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when
You see a Pavel like me shinin

fadam posted:

I plan on having only a unit of Ferox as my only combat unit a lot as skorne

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
Oh, if anyone's is interested in knowing, they said that this part week was going to be art of the new warcasters and this coming week was going to be rule stuff for them(don't know if this will be full rules or just more teasers). So we should get to see if the new warcasters suck balls before buying them, yay.

lovestick
Feb 11, 2006

~30303030303~

I want to pick up a box of the Dawnguard Sentinels for escalation league, but I'm not sure if I should get them in metal or plastic. I got a box of plastic halberdiers and they quality of the plastic was atrocious. Does anyone have experience with these the sentinels in metal or plastic and can tell me which one is going to be less of a pain in the rear end?

Gr4vyB04t
Jan 31, 2010

Hey gurl, hey.

S.J. posted:

gently caress that list. I'm excited to play against it.

Pfft. I'm not running that into Cygnar. Too many magic guns.

fnordcircle
Jul 7, 2004

PTUI

lovestick posted:

I want to pick up a box of the Dawnguard Sentinels for escalation league, but I'm not sure if I should get them in metal or plastic. I got a box of plastic halberdiers and they quality of the plastic was atrocious. Does anyone have experience with these the sentinels in metal or plastic and can tell me which one is going to be less of a pain in the rear end?

Plastic is always less of a pain in the rear end. Easier to glue, easier to pin, easier to transport. Always.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
The plastic dawnguard models are a lot easier to assemble than the metal, and they do not really have much in the way of mold lines(especially compared to the houseguard models). My only complaint with them is that at least my boxes of Sentinels and Invictors had shallower details on their armor than I've found with metal dawnguard models, which resulted in primer + basecoat obscuring the inlaid patterns on the armor(which made my painting scheme rather difficult).

head58
Apr 1, 2013

waah posted:

Indeed. Saxon is probably the best choice overall since you can give Karax pathfinder, or Makeda pathfinder even if both of her dudes are dead.

Don't know how I forgot to mention him

Thanks to you and GoodBee for the suggestion here. I ran the list today against a buddy's High Reclaimer list which had 2 units of Bastions, a unit of Idrians and a crapton of other stuff. I used my Bronzeback under Hand of Death to chew through almost a full unit of Bastions and left it threateningly close to his caster. On his turn he feated and brought the bastions back and had them all charge the Bronzeback. Which left a lovely chain of dudes for Makeda to pacman through under her feat/HoD and get to Reclaimer, and finish him. Which she would not have been able to do if I hadn't had Saxon to giver her and her buddies pathfinder so they could charge over a wall.

Bastions are definitely not Makeda's preferred target. Since so much depends on her killing a model I had to eventually do enough damage to kill the 3 remaining members of the unit before the last one between her and Reclaimer had the decency to die. It's not quite Butcher2 or Madrak2 but it's a moment of living the dream.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

fnordcircle posted:

Plastic is always less of a pain in the rear end. Easier to glue, easier to pin, easier to transport. Always.

Unless it's one of the units that's as much mold lines as it is models. Looking at you storm knights of both ilk.

Gareth Gobulcoque
Jan 10, 2008

Our PG does a lot, and it's often a thankless job. Our playgroup got together and commissioned Steve Suanders, the original sculptor of the tharn wolf riders, to sculpt our PG. Then I painted it.

Gr4vyB04t
Jan 31, 2010

Hey gurl, hey.

Gareth Gobulcoque posted:

Our PG does a lot, and it's often a thankless job. Our playgroup got together and commissioned Steve Suanders, the original sculptor of the tharn wolf riders, to sculpt our PG. Then I painted it.

This is amazing.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Khisanth Magus posted:

Although it makes me feel kind of bad sometimes, the player I hate playing against the most is new players. Too many suffer horrible decision paralysis that the game is so loving boring. I am stuck there for 3+ hours because they take forever to do anything.

No way I could be a PG.

Yeah, it's discouraging being a really casual player (to the point of being Perpetually New) at my shop because I realize this, and there's a culture (save for a few chill dudes) of Perpetually Practicing My Steamroller List For The Next Tournament. So my opponent is frustrated I just want to push my wolfmans around and scratch my head five minutes at a time to futiley figure out what I can do about his unbeatable synergies, and I'm frustrated that I'm getting bowled over time and again by guys who live breath and eat this stuff.

I was hopeful that the Mk3 journeyman might help me get a fresh start on somewhat more equal footing, but 2 weeks in it looks like everyone just jumped right into Mk3 at 75 points and is ignoring it, save for a few new folks and some of the more chill players.

Honestly I should just cultivate a group of friends who plays at my place over some suds and pizza.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Otisburg posted:

I was hopeful that the Mk3 journeyman might help me get a fresh start on somewhat more equal footing, but 2 weeks in it looks like everyone just jumped right into Mk3 at 75 points and is ignoring it, save for a few new folks and some of the more chill players.

It's weird, because week 1 half the store was playing journeyman, and week 2 almost nobody was. I'm curious what this week will be like, because many people will be gone to GenCon.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

rydiafan posted:

It's weird, because week 1 half the store was playing journeyman, and week 2 almost nobody was. I'm curious what this week will be like, because many people will be gone to GenCon.

Well, I hope you will be there. I had fun with my goatmans and wolfmans fighting your alligator and invincible squid monster last week.

I'm planning to go up from 12 to 25 with Shifting Stones + UA and a Wilder. For the last 4 points maybe a Blackclad Wayfarer? How are they in Mk3?

It turns out Cute Pho-Loving Hot Librarian lives in MKE, and matched while she was on a work trip this way. :( We didn't realize till we'd set a date and were discussing a venue. So I'll have to wait till her next trip out in late August for drinks. I still appreciate getting set right on the pronunciation and the corny joke.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk

rydiafan posted:

It isn't weird at all. The week 2 Journeyman rules were a mess. Forcing many of the factions to buy another light jack/warbeast was a terrible idea.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

KPC_Mammon posted:

It isn't weird at all. The week 2 Journeyman rules were a mess. Forcing many of the factions to buy another light jack/warbeast was a terrible idea.

The PG running it here upped the cap to 15, still BG only, which is a bit less silly. This week is still 25.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Otisburg posted:

The PG running it here upped the cap to 15, still BG only, which is a bit less silly. This week is still 25.

Fifteen BG only makes sense, 10 cripples some of the factions (cough trolls) because it's just another light against everyone else's heavies

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

I guess we all learned that trying to get along is way better than p. . .player hatin'.
Fun Shoe

Literally The Worst posted:

Fifteen BG only makes sense, 10 cripples some of the factions (cough trolls) because it's just another light against everyone else's heavies

I'm currently playing in 2 JML right now and surprisingly the shop that made all of the forum favorite changes is the hotter mess of a JML. The other shop stuck religiously to the document and it's been a much better experience. Trolls still beat the poo poo out of people with 4 lights, and you're not going up against the worst/toughest jacks and beasts of each faction on week 2 and 3.

Don't get me wrong, I hate the current journeyman document and I think Will Hungerford is the worst person to have developing for it, especially after meeting him. But having played it both ways, I wouldn't make the 10->15 change on week 2.

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when

head58 posted:

Thanks to you and GoodBee for the suggestion here. I ran the list today against a buddy's High Reclaimer list which had 2 units of Bastions, a unit of Idrians and a crapton of other stuff. I used my Bronzeback under Hand of Death to chew through almost a full unit of Bastions and left it threateningly close to his caster. On his turn he feated and brought the bastions back and had them all charge the Bronzeback. Which left a lovely chain of dudes for Makeda to pacman through under her feat/HoD and get to Reclaimer, and finish him. Which she would not have been able to do if I hadn't had Saxon to giver her and her buddies pathfinder so they could charge over a wall.

Bastions are definitely not Makeda's preferred target. Since so much depends on her killing a model I had to eventually do enough damage to kill the 3 remaining members of the unit before the last one between her and Reclaimer had the decency to die. It's not quite Butcher2 or Madrak2 but it's a moment of living the dream.

Glad it worked out for you. Part of me wanted to suggest TyCom because you always need to make sure you can gst pathfinder on your melee warlocks for the reasons you just saw. Sadly he's a bit more expensive than Saxon.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

koreban posted:

I'm currently playing in 2 JML right now and surprisingly the shop that made all of the forum favorite changes is the hotter mess of a JML. The other shop stuck religiously to the document and it's been a much better experience. Trolls still beat the poo poo out of people with 4 lights, and you're not going up against the worst/toughest jacks and beasts of each faction on week 2 and 3.

Don't get me wrong, I hate the current journeyman document and I think Will Hungerford is the worst person to have developing for it, especially after meeting him. But having played it both ways, I wouldn't make the 10->15 change on week 2.

Man I get fuckin stomped using trolls but it could be that my manager enjoys trolling me and building jerk rear end merc lists so

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008
We just had our second week of JM start today, which was convenient because we also went up by fifteen and I was able to add a Mad Dog and Berserker (which the forum software doesn't seem to think is an actual word?) Question came up: If my last jack is a 'zerker chassis, kills the other player's last Warbeast/jack, and explodes, is it a draw?

Quest Jefferson
Mar 27, 2010

StuG Jeebus posted:

We just had our second week of JM start today, which was convenient because we also went up by fifteen and I was able to add a Mad Dog and Berserker (which the forum software doesn't seem to think is an actual word?) Question came up: If my last jack is a 'zerker chassis, kills the other player's last Warbeast/jack, and explodes, is it a draw?

You would win that one, the Berserker killing the last jack/beast is resolved before you make the roll for Unstable.

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
Tabled my opponent, got assassinated from 19" away by Denny3 because I forgot to reposition a dude to block it. Hurray for 14 focus warcasters that get to cast 2 spells for free.

This game :(

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
From the Oath thread, I'm really happy with how this turned out.

Edit: I'm aware the head is on upside down, I had built it like 4 months ago and didn't pay attention until it was mostly painted

But I like the pattern of it even if that's not how it's supposed to look

chutche2 fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Aug 1, 2016

Gr4vyB04t
Jan 31, 2010

Hey gurl, hey.

gannyGrabber posted:

Tabled my opponent, got assassinated from 19" away by Denny3 because I forgot to reposition a dude to block it. Hurray for 14 focus warcasters that get to cast 2 spells for free.

This game :(

This is actually my favorite thing about Warmachine. poo poo's unpredictable.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

AnElegantPeacock posted:

This is actually my favorite thing about Warmachine. poo poo's unpredictable.

Someone had to leave before the last round of the launch event Saturday, so I borrowed the models a circle player wasn't using from his eKaya list and proxied the others. My opponent left two scytheans just inside a 12" zone while my feral and stalker were just outside of it on the opposite end. Hunter's mark one, dog pile the other, pop feat and the stalker rolled 5 5 6 on his charge damage and my opponent just went 'well that's the game'.

It really was. Two dead scytheans for a total of four fury on my beasts.

Gr4vyB04t
Jan 31, 2010

Hey gurl, hey.

S.J. posted:

Someone had to leave before the last round of the launch event Saturday, so I borrowed the models a circle player wasn't using from his eKaya list and proxied the others. My opponent left two scytheans just inside a 12" zone while my feral and stalker were just outside of it on the opposite end. Hunter's mark one, dog pile the other, pop feat and the stalker rolled 5 5 6 on his charge damage and my opponent just went 'well that's the game'.

It really was. Two dead scytheans for a total of four fury on my beasts.

Gah, sorry I missed it, I would loved to have seen the look on the legion player's face. Baby (that's me, a big, grumpy baby) needed a nap after the nightshift. I tried to power through but I passed out watching Netflix.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
Are AK's any good these days? I have a full unit plus full flamethrowers for them apparently and I was wondering if they were of any use. Since I can't find my dooms or my IFP which I know I have somewhere, they are the only real large infantry unit I own for Khador right now (that and a full unit of Kayazi I guess). For warcasters I have Butcher, Butcher2, Zerkova, Irusk, Vlad2 and Karchev if that makes a difference.

Gr4vyB04t
Jan 31, 2010

Hey gurl, hey.

El Estrago Bonito posted:

Are AK's any good these days? I have a full unit plus full flamethrowers for them apparently and I was wondering if they were of any use. Since I can't find my dooms or my IFP which I know I have somewhere, they are the only real large infantry unit I own for Khador right now (that and a full unit of Kayazi I guess). For warcasters I have Butcher, Butcher2, Zerkova, Irusk, Vlad2 and Karchev if that makes a difference.

I have no idea but they are all wearing kickin' rad gas masks so you should run them regardless.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

They got generally more useful, Strakhov has veteran leader for them now which is legit. They're worth using.

The Impaler
Dec 28, 2011

10 Brogies
20 GOTO 10

chutche2 posted:

From the Oath thread, I'm really happy with how this turned out.

Edit: I'm aware the head is on upside down, I had built it like 4 months ago and didn't pay attention until it was mostly painted

But I like the pattern of it even if that's not how it's supposed to look

What is that base?

edit: read about it in the Oath Thread. Nice work!

The Impaler fucked around with this message at 12:12 on Aug 1, 2016

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.
Guys, I have hit a snag:

I'm out of room for my minis! And I have at least twenty five more to come! :negative:

wearing a lampshade
Mar 6, 2013

they are pretty legit. rat 7 sprays are a thing. trying them out as double min units with max flamethrowers to see if it's too much or just right. the only thing is they have pretty piss poor defensive stats and the flamethrowers don't benefit from shieldwall, but if you can screen them so they can deactivate tough and set stuff on fire they're really worth it.

*with Strakhov. Idk about other casters yet. HoF on them is probably good but you'd be better off using it on RC or Outriders still.

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when

So I have asked other places, but I keep asking hoping that I can find someone who has figured this model out.

The Aradus Sentinel

Is anyone using it? How do you use it? Do you build your lists around it or do you just say screw it I got 16 points left, don't want Cyclops do sentinel it is. Have you ever used it's animus?

The best suggestion I have heard so far is anti cavalry, which is something I hadn't thought of, but then that seems to fall apart as well due to short range of the sentinels gun. Then I thought, well maybe I should just hold it in reserve to protect my back line support from harassers until late game when I can put some powerful shots into the opposing caster, but then I realized that I would be almost playing 16 points down for some matches.

Anyone having any luck at all with him in your lists or even in theory crafting?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

waah posted:

So I have asked other places, but I keep asking hoping that I can find someone who has figured this model out.

The Aradus Sentinel

Is anyone using it? How do you use it? Do you build your lists around it or do you just say screw it I got 16 points left, don't want Cyclops do sentinel it is. Have you ever used it's animus?

The best suggestion I have heard so far is anti cavalry, which is something I hadn't thought of, but then that seems to fall apart as well due to short range of the sentinels gun. Then I thought, well maybe I should just hold it in reserve to protect my back line support from harassers until late game when I can put some powerful shots into the opposing caster, but then I realized that I would be almost playing 16 points down for some matches.

Anyone having any luck at all with him in your lists or even in theory crafting?

Still stuck with SPD3 and without far strike I'm not sure they really have a place in mk3. Losing 3 inches of threat on their gun, along with the higher amount of points spent on warjacks in warmachine armies, really kind of kills them as a model.