Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

QuarkJets posted:

If you don't think that you're able to make an unbiased decision when faced with details like a person's race or gender, then feel free to not use Google, that's fine, but don't accuse others of being creepy just because they're taking a personal interest in a life-altering financial transaction.

Implicit bias is a thing, and not a good thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Subjunctive posted:

Implicit bias is a thing, and not a good thing.

That's beside the point; you're accusing people of being creepy when they're really just being financially responsible. If you want to really be true to your logic, then you should never make an offer or accept an offer that has any contingencies, because any inspection might slightly bias ~~*~~the transaction~~*~~. We'd all just post classified ads with text reading "LOOKING TO BUY NICE HOUSE, OFFER IS $200K, HAS TO BE SIGHT UNSEEN, PLEASE NO SCAMMERS"

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Someone doesn't understand implicit bias.

I specifically directed my property manager to not disclose anything about the tenants I just leased to. I don't want to know, and as long as they met the criteria we agreed to I don't need to know.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Jealous Cow posted:

Someone doesn't understand implicit bias.

I specifically directed my property manager to not disclose anything about the tenants I just leased to. I don't want to know, and as long as they met the criteria we agreed to I don't need to know.

Yes, neither you nor forums poster Subjunctive understand implicit bias if you think that "just don't tell me anything about the other party" is enough to overcome it. As a buyer, odds are you're going to learn things about the seller when you walk through their house during an inspection, or when you see pictures from your appraisal or inspection report. You'd have to be buying the house blind in order to truly say that you weren't effected by any implicit bias.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

QuarkJets posted:

Yes, neither you nor forums poster Subjunctive understand implicit bias if you think that "just don't tell me anything about the other party" is enough to overcome it.

It's not enough to overcome it. It is enough to reduce the impact of implicit bias, just like blinding names on résumés does in the hiring context, even when there are other ethnicity or gender clues in the text. This is well-understood in the literature, if I remember my readings correctly.

The point of implicit bias is sort of that you can't overcome it, so you need to work to minimize, counter, and be aware of it.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Subjunctive posted:

It's not enough to overcome it. It is enough to reduce the impact of implicit bias, just like blinding names on résumés does in the hiring context, even when there are other ethnicity or gender clues in the text. This is well-understood in the literature, if I remember my readings correctly.

The point of implicit bias is sort of that you can't overcome it, so you need to work to minimize, counter, and be aware of it.

But you would draw a line at some point, correct? Obviously you wouldn't buy a house blind just because you're worried about biases creeping into your buying decision, so you're willing to sacrifice some amount of that bias minimization for your own financial well-being at some point, you just disagree with others on where that point should be.

I'd also like you to actually address my post:

QuarkJets posted:

That's beside the point; you're accusing people of being creepy when they're really just being financially responsible. If you want to really be true to your logic, then you should never make an offer or accept an offer that has any contingencies, because any inspection might slightly bias ~~*~~the transaction~~*~~. We'd all just post classified ads with text reading "LOOKING TO BUY NICE HOUSE, OFFER IS $200K, HAS TO BE SIGHT UNSEEN, PLEASE NO SCAMMERS"

You originally accused these other posters of being creepy, you only recently began bringing up implicit biases. I agree with the need to minimize biases, I disagree with calling people creepy just because their due diligence is the tiniest bit more careful than yours.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I think you should investigate the house, not the people. (I don't know what a home inspection would reveal about the people, but I may not be being creative enough, or maybe the inspection reports I've read haven't been detailed enough.)

Viewing a house or even knowing where it is can reveal things about the seller, certainly. I'm not saying that you should eliminate all knowledge of the other party at all cost. Their name will be on the P&S before you sign, for example. I believe you should *minimize* knowledge of the other party because it *reduces* the impact of bias. This means you shouldn't creep on them specifically to learn more about them as people.

WRT cash-only offers: both times I've bought houses and the time I sold one were with no contingencies, because of a competitive environment; it will depend on the market, no doubt. The buyers of our house ran into trouble with their financing and we worked it out, but if we hadn't we'd have kept the earnest money and relisted. If we sold it once, odds are we could sell it again.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.
I'm trying to think of a situation where implicit bias would really come up as an issue. Most situations I've seen with competing offers all came down to money. You rarely end up with two identical offers and if you're willing to lose out on thousands of dollars because you don't like someone's last name or LinkedIn profile than you're very dumb.

Rentals and hiring are very different since the financials are often identical and the ongoing relationship aspect makes biases much more significant.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Subjunctive posted:

I think you should investigate the house, not the people.

That's fine. It's also fine to do a little bit of inspection on the people, as part of your due diligence.

Sperg Victorious
Mar 25, 2011

BeastOfExmoor posted:

I'm trying to think of a situation where implicit bias would really come up as an issue. Most situations I've seen with competing offers all came down to money. You rarely end up with two identical offers and if you're willing to lose out on thousands of dollars because you don't like someone's last name or LinkedIn profile than you're very dumb.

Rentals and hiring are very different since the financials are often identical and the ongoing relationship aspect makes biases much more significant.

But do you feel the same way as a buyer? As the seller money is money. But when you're the buyer going into hundreds of thousands of dollars off debt, you might want to get all the information you can.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I would like to apologize for this derail.

TimWinter
Mar 30, 2015

https://timsthebomb.com
I agreed to the bank's terms for a short sale in the Boston area. Getting it for arguably 100k less than the market price, thanks to a home equity loan the seller wasn't aware required you to maintain possession of a home until the loan is paid off. Down side is that whereas the water worked before the winter, they turned it off and a pipe burst in the sprint so I'll be testing the pipes for the first time after we close. 100k discount in exchange for uncertainty in basic necessities!

Still though it's a killer house.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Subjunctive posted:

I would like to apologize for this derail.

Wait, is that the apology? Or just your willingness to admit that one might be warranted?

Give me your first and last name. I'll get to the bottom of this.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Who said anything about buying? I'll research the gently caress out of the sellers. I won't do anything similar if I'm selling or renting to someone.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Jealous Cow posted:

Who said anything about buying? I'll research the gently caress out of the sellers. I won't do anything similar if I'm selling or renting to someone.

BeastOfExmoor posted that some buyers sent him a personal letter and then he typed their names into Google, presumably to verify whatever was in the personal letter

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Jealous Cow posted:

Congrats you are the owner that the real estate agent that tried to scam the goon is looking for! Yessir only that one offer came in don't worry about it going to a LLP controlled by someone with my surname. But since you won't look you won't know about the what was it? 75k under legitimate offer that you are selling it for!

Bohemian Bulldyke
Feb 22, 2010

Jealous Cow posted:

I'll research the gently caress out of the sellers. I won't do anything similar if I'm selling or renting to someone.

That's pretty creepy.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

QuarkJets posted:

BeastOfExmoor posted that some buyers sent him a personal letter and then he typed their names into Google, presumably to verify whatever was in the personal letter

No, what I said was we didn't read the letter (agent didn't even forward it to us). We just searched for their names and scanned what was publicly available. I'm not really sure what I would have found that would have made me take an offer for $2500 less, but I won't say I was shocked when they jumped ship because they inspection confirmed that a 60yr old house was built like a 60yr old house.

Jealous Cow posted:

I would be much more cautious researching if I was a landlord given the much tougher laws regarding discrimination in renting.

I researched the sellers of the house we just bought as well. Everything I found was positive (original owners, lived there 28 years, Facebook statuses about how they loved the house, but the maintenance was a lot for senior citizens, etc.).

It may be creepy, but I certainly would expect someone to do everything they can to maximize their knowledge before entering the largest financial transaction of their life.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

What info are you going to see that's going to influence your decision? What if the seller is a convicted murderer, do you walk away? Why? Who gives a poo poo?

Creepily wasting your time for nonactionable info is just creepy.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

Pryor on Fire posted:

What info are you going to see that's going to influence your decision? What if the seller is a convicted murderer, do you walk away? Why? Who gives a poo poo?

"So sick of this house and all its expensive problems."

"Wish we could have the grandkids over, but not until we get this mold issue cleared up."

"Neighbors kept us all all night. We know they're selling drugs, but the police won't do anything."

"The last rainstorm seams to have caused the house to slide down the hill a bit." (House is on a hill)

Yea, none of that happened, but given what I could see (Facebook profiles set fairly public) it was certainly plausible.

In our case we found only positive things, but as someone else mentioned a person in this very thread researched their buyer and found that it was a family member of their realtor and they were essentially trying to defraud them of tens of thousands of dollars.

I'd expect any prospective employer to do just as much research as I did and the liability is way smaller for them.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Pryor on Fire posted:

Maybe you could try reading the thread? Your question had already been answered several times before you wrote this post, some really good answers have been presented

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

I have been reading, I assure you! Some guy found out his seller were old and liked the house, who cares? Are you going expecting to se them posting about the ancient gypsy curse the house is under? Or about how they are cooking meth there?

You're just not going to find info that changes a decision here. Ever. Walk the neighborhood, talk to neighbors.

Droo
Jun 25, 2003

Pryor on Fire posted:

You're just not going to find info that changes a decision here. Ever. Walk the neighborhood, talk to neighbors.

If you are going to keep saying this, please specifically address this:

Bozart posted:

In my case I found out that the buyer was the daughter in law of my own selling agent, and that I was being screwed. Probably doesn't happen too often, but for gently caress's sake do a bit of work so you know you aren't the victim of fraud.

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

It's 2016. Everybody is googling everybody. Creepiness is the new normal. Get over it.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

GameCube posted:

It's 2016. Everybody is googling everybody. Creepiness is the new normal. Get over it.

Yup.

From employers, to significant others. Everyone wants to know everything about you and they are more than willing to voice their opinion about you, online.

VendaGoat fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Aug 1, 2016

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Someone once told me, "Time is a flat circle".

Pryor on Fire posted:

Walk the neighborhood, talk to neighbors.

What, like some kind of weirdo stalker? Jesus that's creepy!

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

When we moved in we bricked up all of the doors and windows except for the front door. I didn't like the idea of people being able to see me from the street while I'm eating a TV dinner or meticulously painting my Warhammer figurines; even the thought creeps me out.

When I leave the house for the day I throw on a giant black cloak and a mask so that I can reach my car in total privacy

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

QuarkJets posted:

When we moved in we bricked up all of the doors and windows except for the front door. I didn't like the idea of people being able to see me from the street while I'm eating a TV dinner or meticulously painting my Warhammer figurines; even the thought creeps me out.

When I leave the house for the day I throw on a giant black cloak and a mask so that I can reach my car in total privacy

We have a lot in common, we should hang out some time.

After my team of private detectives observes your patterns of behavior for six months, or longer, and I input the data into an algorithm, of my own design, to make sure you are not a pedophile.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

QuarkJets posted:

When we moved in we bricked up all of the doors and windows except for the front door.

Are you sure you are not the guy in Detroit?

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

CALL OF DUTY! :rock:
Grimey Drawer
Oh god I'm putting in an offer on a 40 year old condo what is wrong with me? At least it has a 2 car garage!

PyRosflam
Aug 11, 2007
The good, The bad, Im the one with the gun.

DJCobol posted:

Oh god I'm putting in an offer on a 40 year old condo what is wrong with me? At least it has a 2 car garage!

With the right condo management this can be A-Ok, with a management team of pre-madonnas it can be a nightmare.

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

Ideally your condo management team should be comprised primarily of post-madonnas.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Mid-madonna can be ok in some jurisdictions.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

Just pulled out of a contract, inspection confirmed a fear I had of water damage in the basement- moisture meter thing at times read at 43% on the baseboards. But that wasn't the best part. Oh no. It rained while we were there, and water was coming out on the covered porch from somewhere behind the siding.

Back to square one, going to visit more houses and revisit the "backup" one. Stopping by Lowe's and getting my own meter on the way.

HarmB
Jun 19, 2006

PyRosflam posted:

With the right condo management this can be A-Ok, with a management team of pre-madonnas it can be a nightmare.

It's prima donna, italian for 'first lady', not pre-madonna.

OhDearGodNo posted:

Just pulled out of a contract, inspection confirmed a fear I had of water damage in the basement- moisture meter thing at times read at 43% on the baseboards. But that wasn't the best part. Oh no. It rained while we were there, and water was coming out on the covered porch from somewhere behind the siding.

Back to square one, going to visit more houses and revisit the "backup" one. Stopping by Lowe's and getting my own meter on the way.

You should reconsider, and buy this house if only to put red food dye on the roof for a great halloween show.

HOT! New Memes
May 31, 2006

Just bought a house on the 30th of June. I sent my mortgage check on the 27th of July and the money is still in my account. This is the first bill I had to pay with a check as everything else has been online or phone. Is this normal and how long should I give it before I should start calling?

HOT! New Memes fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Aug 2, 2016

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Taste the Rainbugh posted:

Just bought a house on the 30th of June. I sent my mortgage check on the 27th of July and the money is still in my account. This is the first bill I had to pay with a check as everything else has been online or phone. Is this normal and how long should I give it before I should start calling?

Call the company your mortgage is through and ask what the lead time is.

Edit: Oh and get a hard date on when your Check is due, for the month. It's better to overpay, then take the credit hit for a late/missed payment.

If you do decide to start putting more money/month in your payments, make sure it is applied to the "Principal"

It will otherwise be put into escrow, for taxes and fees, and an overage will just get mailed back to you at the end of the year. Conversely, if your escrow payment changes, due to whatever, you may have a shortage, that your lender will either tell you an amount to pay for the whole year, or extra per month.

This is also reassessed on a yearly rate.

This is all going off of a few year's old memories. Please, FOR THE SAKE OF PETE, PLEASE consult your lender.

VendaGoat fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Aug 2, 2016

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

PyRosflam posted:

Plus if it's built with old growth HOA, it's way more solid than present day construction.

Tricky Ed
Aug 18, 2010

It is important to avoid confusion. This is the one that's okay to lick.

Just here to mention that if you can possibly work out how to pay for your taxes and insurance on your own, you're way better off not using an escrow account. I've heard too many stories of escrow companies underpaying for taxes and/or insurance and causing problems to ever want to trust them.

That said, call your loan people. Your check just may not have been opened and processed yet. Or your payment wasn't due until the end of the month rather than the first.

That distinction didn't enter my mind when I first signed my mortgage, and I panicked when I realized I didn't have a bill or anything and it was the first of the month oh god and I looked up some address on the internet and mailed them a check and a letter apologizing/yelling about how I didn't know where or when to send the money and please don't kick me out of my house.

Turns out I just didn't owe a payment yet. On the plus side, I started out with a full payment's worth of equity...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

At any point did you think about calling up your loan officer?