Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Midjack posted:

I have a pile of hacked psps. I also have a cell phone that can do everything the psps do with less hassle.

Except you need one of those lovely controller addons for your phone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010
The VITA scene for Homebrew is just getting started right now, though. There's not much to it that uses the Vita specifically for anything. You can do the hacks that let you do the PSP-era stuff with your Vita but I dunno how well that works with keeping your Vita otherwise usable with other stuff.

Enjoy your Vita as a Vita right now and get a PSP for cheap off E-bay or something if you want to do Homebrew/Emulation stuff. Eventually the Vita Homebrew scene will get there and it'll be time to take that dive, but that day is not today.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Well homebrew for the Vita is in its infancy and the emulators are quick ports that aren't optimized for the Vita at all yet. But it'll be nice having a portable emulation machine since yeah, my phone could do it too but I loathe touchscreen controls and I don't wanna shell out for a controller add-on for it.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Mr. Locke posted:

The VITA scene for Homebrew is just getting started right now, though. There's not much to it that uses the Vita specifically for anything. You can do the hacks that let you do the PSP-era stuff with your Vita but I dunno how well that works with keeping your Vita otherwise usable with other stuff.

Enjoy your Vita as a Vita right now and get a PSP for cheap off E-bay or something if you want to do Homebrew/Emulation stuff. Eventually the Vita Homebrew scene will get there and it'll be time to take that dive, but that day is not today.

This is where I'm coming from. If Sony becomes less aggressive about defending the Vita it will be a more attractive platform but given how many easier options there are for the same things there's no point in hacking Vitas if you want to do something with it. Unless you enjoy hacking it as an end in itself, in which case full speed ahead!

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Ah yes, the hassle of using a psp

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

I'm going to ahead say it: Emulation on a PSP is pretty poo poo. There's just not enough power in it to get good performance for the 16-bit consoles.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

What stuff do people do with homebrew other than emulators/piracy

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Help Im Alive posted:

What stuff do people do with homebrew other than emulators/piracy

Not much. Getting rid of region locking on the 3DS was pretty nice though.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Andrast posted:

Not much. Getting rid of region locking on the 3DS was pretty nice though.

That's the only thing I care about and it's a moot point on Vita.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Andrast posted:

Getting rid of region locking on the 3DS was pretty nice though.

Best feature ever -- I imported so many games from the US and Japan.

And playing Gamecube games on the Wii U since Nintendo never provided either direct compatibility nor VC offers.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

The account switcher on the PSP is very handy.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I soft modded my Wii in college to install a Brawl fan patch

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

In the year 2016 I just can't wait to hack my Vita to play the same SNES roms I can on my computer, phone, PSP, literally everything else.

Also, here's a funny misprint.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Is that a joke about the ESRB rating? 'Cause I've been reading the text of that image up and down for a minute trying to find the Revelaitons-style misprint. :mad:

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Yes. Sexual content is for everyone.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

E for Ero

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Super Kawaii Doki Doki mode.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I do emulators on my psp and I'm still way more excited to have them on the vita. The screen and controls are much nicer, the PSP is ancient technology.

Also the vita plays persona4

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?
Bleh, tried to install the whitelist on my PSTV, but it still won't play Dracula X Chronicles. Guess I'll give the internet some more time to see if other people have figured out how to get it to work. All I've wanted to do for almost 2 years is play Dracula X and MGS: Portable Ops on it. :(

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?

SnatchRabbit posted:

I just picked up a cheap Vita and it is on FW 3.15. Is there any advantage to leaving it on the older firmware for homebrew? Or should I just use the new Henkaku exploit on 3.60?

Old firmware homebrew methods were incredibly bad unless you had specific PSP games, and then all you got was access to old good PSP homebrew.

There's a guide to installing PSP homebrew at http://wololo.net/2016/07/29/tutorial-installing-vhbl-custom-bubble-via-henkaku-firmware-3-60/ now, which helps fill in the gaps in the Vita selection.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Vita homebrew is gonna be weak for a while but when it finally gets going it's going to be fantastic and I will replace my PSP1000 with my dead gay anime system

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!

Andrast posted:

I'm going to ahead say it: Emulation on a PSP is pretty poo poo. There's just not enough power in it to get good performance for the 16-bit consoles.

Is it not enough power or not enough effort?

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

Policenaut posted:

Gal*Gun- rated E by Vita standards.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Crimson Harvest posted:

power. homebrew for PSP was actively until fairly recently afaik

henkaku trip report: super easy to install/reinstall. tried the mGBA port. its ok visually, but the audio is borked. it's going to be something to keep an eye on in the next couple weeks, as we start seeing more homebrew/finding out about potential bans

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

13/f/cali posted:

Gal*Gun- rated E by Vita standards.
I did see a small child with a Vita once

only once though

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

Really Pants posted:

No, that one's beatable, but it's tough if you can't Texture Blow the Rosemon to stop her heals.

Yeah I didn't have that one. Had to evolve a guy into WarGrowlmon and use his really powerful special.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

Literally The Worst posted:

power. homebrew for PSP was actively until fairly recently afaik

henkaku trip report: super easy to install/reinstall. tried the mGBA port. its ok visually, but the audio is borked. it's going to be something to keep an eye on in the next couple weeks, as we start seeing more homebrew/finding out about potential bans

A lot of stuff is going to get a lot better very quickly because most of it is still basically a PSP emulator in a wrapper.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Sakurazuka posted:

That's the only thing I care about and it's a moot point on Vita.

Except for translations of imported games...

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!

Elliotw2 posted:

A lot of stuff is going to get a lot better very quickly because most of it is still basically a PSP emulator in a wrapper.

Oh good, cause literally all the SNES games I tried and actually want to play run like poo poo. Where am I supposed to look for development announcements and releases? Please don't let it be Reddit...

pissdude
Jul 15, 2003

(and can't post for 6 years!)

I wish you motherfuckers would play Shiren. I need some folks to commiserate with

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers

Crimson Harvest posted:

Seconding power, though effort for Genesis emulators.

I used to play a lot of GBA, SNES, and Genesis games on my PSP-2000. You usually had to crank the CPU up to the full 333MHz to get full frame rates, and this made the drat thing run hot and drain the battery fast. Also this was with graphical glitches and still some slowdown now and then.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

pissdude posted:

I wish you motherfuckers would play Shiren. I need some folks to commiserate with

I am.

It owns. Except for when you let J-dude die on a floor of the True Tower of Fortune with no herbs on hand, head for the stairs because poo poo is gang rushing you..and get sent back to Neko village :suicide:

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

Policenaut posted:

So that memory requirement of 1.3GB is correct?

pissdude
Jul 15, 2003

(and can't post for 6 years!)

kirbysuperstar posted:

I am.

It owns. Except for when you let J-dude die on a floor of the True Tower of Fortune with no herbs on hand, head for the stairs because poo poo is gang rushing you..and get sent back to Neko village :suicide:

Enjoy the cool surprise on floor 15 of ToF. >:]

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

pissdude posted:

I've been playin Ys VIII sorry

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I bought Shiren last week but I'm still working through all the lessons in the training school, I aim to be done around 2019

Ceramics
May 26, 2014

pissdude posted:

I'm gonna buy it tomorrow

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?

Crimson Harvest posted:

Oh good, cause literally all the SNES games I tried and actually want to play run like poo poo. Where am I supposed to look for development announcements and releases? Please don't let it be Reddit...

FF6 will run really badly, but a lot of games run great. I went through Treasure of the Rudras on Snes9xtyl way back when.

I don't know how well snes9xvita/the libretro snes9x work.

I wish I understood more about emulator coding and optimization.

You mainly want to watch wololo.net's forums and maybe gbatemp on occasion.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

So anyone messing with Henkaku much? It says you need to reinstall if your battery goes dead, making me really wary about bringing it on a plane with me. Wouldn't that wipe all your emulators and save files and such

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
All your poo poo is still there, you just can't load homebrew without the softmod being re-activated. Think more of the old bad days of using a softmod on your psp-2000.